Has anybody tried bulking low carb style?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
After my most recent cutting phase, I learned something about my body.

I'm an endomorph, that much I knew, but I'm also extremely carb sensitive. My appearance alters drastically with the addition or subtraction of just a few carbs.

Currently I'm sitting at 201 at 6 percent bf on a 9 point caliper test.

To achieve that low of a bf, I had to drop carbs down to around 50-60g a day, and up my fat intake to keep myself feeling energized.

However lately i've been experimenting with adding carbs back in, and I kid you not if I eat upwards of 100-150g of carbs a day, all clean mind you, nothing but long grain brown rice with no sodium in it, I will lose my abs and get massive bloat overnight.

Then if I back off on the carbs, and up the fat, I will flatten back out and look totally shredded again.

Obviously I don't want to be in this cutting phase forever, but it would be nice if I could keep this lean look this time while I'm bulking, I just don't think it's possible to do if I start taking in so many carbs a day (even being clean carbs)

So has anybody tried bulking by keeping there carbs fairly low and just going high on fats, and protein obviously.

Or perhaps taking a diuretic year round or something would work? lol.

If anybody has any input or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

thanks

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
carbs are the primary source of energy for a reason: fats and proteins serve other, more important purposes in the body than just being an energy source.

Going low carbs on a bulk is like reconnecting the gas-line on your car from the gas tank to the motor oil tank. You're supplying the engine with something that will combust, but taking away from something that's also necessary for making your car run properly. Not to mention your exhaust fumes will smell like crap.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
carbs are the primary source of energy for a reason: fats and proteins serve other, more important purposes in the body than just being an energy source.

Going low carbs on a bulk is like reconnecting the gas-line on your car from the gas tank to the motor oil tank. You're supplying the engine with something that will combust, but taking away from something that's also necessary for making your car run properly. Not to mention your exhaust fumes will smell like crap.
I don't know anything about cars, I can't even change my own oil......

No but I did understand it. It just sucks that I will most likely have to look like a fatass again for a while.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know anything about cars, I can't even change my own oil......

No but I did understand it. It just sucks that I will most likely have to look like a fatass again for a while.
If 'eating carbs' is making you fat, perhaps you should re-evaluate your diet.

Besides that, you said "bulking". By this board's connotation of the word, you cannot "bulk" and stay skinny.

endless

endless

Awards
  • Established
Try adding some p-slin, yellow gold, ap or ala with your carbs. It will add a dramatic effect on keeping you lean while you increase your cabs. Also start taking 15 grams a day of fish oil.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Staying at 6%BF year round is an unrealistic goal for the avg person, sorry but it is. I had the same problem you did a few years ago. I was deathly affraid of eating over 150carbs a day because I would lose my chisseld abbs look. Kepping your diet/sodium in check and drinking ample amounts of water and you'l be surprised how good you can stil look. I would suggest looking at your fat intake also while upping the carbs as a diet higher in fat for me seems to really bloat me and I lose my good abb look.

I got over it, in fact I didnt even do a "cutter" this year. I started to but then said "what the hell do i need good abbs for? I can stil see them. I'll give them a year off, they deserve it"

I stil have abbs now and im about 11~13% BF, there not going any where just a little layer of fat and some water. Its going to be winter time soon anyways, like sinner said its a "bulk".

EDIT: The addition of Anabolic Pump/Yellow Gold or P-Slin will help big time in keeping the BF down while ingesting alot of carbs.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established

I disagree - stored fat is bodies emergency energy supply and in order to keep your body used to burning fat rather than carbs you want a fair amount n your diet, however it should be stressed that saturated animal fats aren't particularly healthy for you, beyond a minimal amount. Stick with lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs and low fat dairy. Get your healthy fats in the form of nuts and fatty fruits like avacado and coconut which are great sources of medium-chain triglycerides. If you want to supp EFAs use fish oil - metabolizes to EPA DHA and other Omega 3's more readily than flax or olive oil

As for your issues with carbs, IMO opinion your sensitivity is to grains, beans/legumes, potatoes, yams and other starchy carbs. These foods put a lot of extra glucose in your system regardless of their GI rating. Fill up on fresh veggies and have some fresh fruit for dessert/snacks. Avoid all other types of carbs except the aforementioned nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, brazil nuts, pecans, macadamia, hazelnuts) and low-fat dairy.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I disagree - stored fat is bodies emergency energy supply and in order to keep your body used to burning fat rather than carbs you want a fair amount n your diet, however it should be stressed that saturated animal fats aren't particularly healthy for you, beyond a minimal amount. Stick with lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs and low fat dairy. Get your healthy fats in the form of nuts and fatty fruits like avacado and coconut which are great sources of medium-chain triglycerides. If you want to supp EFAs use fish oil - metabolizes to EPA DHA and other Omega 3's more readily than flax or olive oil

As for your issues with carbs, IMO opinion your sensitivity is to grains, beans/legumes, potatoes, yams and other starchy carbs. These foods put a lot of extra glucose in your system regardless of their GI rating. Fill up on fresh veggies and have some fresh fruit for dessert/snacks. Avoid all other types of carbs except the aforementioned nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, brazil nuts, pecans, macadamia, hazelnuts) and low-fat dairy.

Thats an interesting take on it. I never thought the sensitivity could be to the starchier carbs. Everytime I've experienced that it's been from something starchy, usually brown rice, but from sweet potatoes and baked potatoes as well. Plain rolled oats too.

I just basically cut back any pro carb meals, and keep natty PB and salads with olive oil as my main source of fat (energy) The little trace amounts of carbs (ie. 7g per 2tbs) along with PWO carbs really adds up to be about 50g of carbs per day regardless.

With that being said, how do take in massive amounts of carbs if you limit starchy carbs, and stick with veggies and what not. I can't imagine how much you would have to eat in one meal to get a meal that consisted of around 75-100g of carbs. Although with fruit that would certainly be possible, but then your dealing with fructose.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Thats an interesting take on it. I never thought the sensitivity could be to the starchier carbs. Everytime I've experienced that it's been from something starchy, usually brown rice, but from sweet potatoes and baked potatoes as well. Plain rolled oats too.

I just basically cut back any pro carb meals, and keep natty PB and salads with olive oil as my main source of fat (energy) The little trace amounts of carbs (ie. 7g per 2tbs) along with PWO carbs really adds up to be about 50g of carbs per day regardless.

With that being said, how do take in massive amounts of carbs if you limit starchy carbs, and stick with veggies and what not. I can't imagine how much you would have to eat in one meal to get a meal that consisted of around 75-100g of carbs. Although with fruit that would certainly be possible, but then your dealing with fructose.
I don't think you should concern yourself too much over how many calories from carbs you get - so long as you have a surplus of calories you will gain weight. Though your body prefers carbs, it is designed to burn fat for energy. Nuts and seeds like sunflower and pumpkin are pretty high in calories, so IMO they'd be a good substitute for the starchy carbs.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carb Cycling?

I dont know about that...all your carbs from fruit and greens. I'd say maybe say low on the Brown Rice and 100% Rolled oats.

2 summers ago when I did a lean bulk i was on a PH heres how I ate and added mass on a lower carb diet. When I started I was about 8% @ 163lbs and finished at 9% @ 175lbs. I'm not 100% on the weight gain but I know I put on over 10lbs in 12 weeks. It was a carb cycle

Sun: no carbs (lots of veggies)
Mon: Low
Tue: High
Wed: Low
Thur: High
Fri: Low
Sat: Moderate w/ 1 cheat meal

I ate carbs 3 times a day on Low days

1.)Breakfast
-1/2 cup 100% rolled oats (dry) with 1/2 banana with Splenda
~50-60carbs

2.)Pre-Workout
-1/4-1/3cup (dry)brown rice
~ 30-45carbs

3.)Post-Workout
-1/4 brown rice & 1/4 cup white rice (both dry) +1TBS honey
~75gr carbs

And that was it for low carb days

High carb days had 1 other meal of 1/2 cup oats and 1/4 cup Brown rice. I didnt eat carbs after about 7pm either. I did cardio 5x's a week for 15min post workout walking on a tredmil.

I didnt gain much strength at all. I think I was at about 200cal surplus a day. Hope that helps a little. I dont advise it but if you wanna keep lean maybe give it a try

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I dont know about that...all your carbs from fruit and greens. I'd say maybe say low on the Brown Rice and 100% Rolled oats.

2 summers ago when I did a lean bulk i was on a PH heres how I ate and added mass on a lower carb diet. When I started I was about 8% @ 163lbs and finished at 9% @ 175lbs. I'm not 100% on the weight gain but I know I put on over 10lbs in 12 weeks. It was a carb cycle

Sun: no carbs (lots of veggies)
Mon: Low
Tue: High
Wed: Low
Thur: High
Fri: Low
Sat: Moderate w/ 1 cheat meal

I ate carbs 3 times a day on Low days

1.)Breakfast
-1/2 cup 100% rolled oats (dry) with 1/2 banana with Splenda
~50-60carbs

2.)Pre-Workout
-1/4-1/3cup (dry)brown rice
~ 30-45carbs

3.)Post-Workout
-1/4 brown rice & 1/4 cup white rice (both dry) +1TBS honey
~75gr carbs

And that was it for low carb days

High carb days had 1 other meal of 1/2 cup oats and 1/4 cup Brown rice. I didnt eat carbs after about 7pm either. I did cardio 5x's a week for 15min post workout walking on a tredmil.

I didnt gain much strength at all. I think I was at about 200cal surplus a day. Hope that helps a little. I dont advise it but if you wanna keep lean maybe give it a try

How high did you go on a high carb day? That's alot of carbs for a low carb day.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
I dont know about that...all your carbs from fruit and greens.
So long as there's a surplus of calories does the source matter all that much? Nuts and seeds have great health benefits and their high fat content makes it easy to bring up the calorie content of your diet. Starchy carbs aren't necessary as we aren't genetically adapted to consuming grains, beans/legumes, potatoes, yams, etc. We've only come to including them with the advent of agriculture approximately 10,000 years ago. Within the same span our genetic code has only changed approx. .001%.

Your advice is good. I hadn't considered cycling calorie dense carbs. Fruits and veggies are full of beneficial enzymes and anutrients that have amazing anti-oxidant properties - they shouldn't be neglected in our diets. They also serve to balance ph levels, which should be a primary consideration when you're on a high protein diet.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
damn your abs dissapear and you talk about bein a fatass after eating carbs for a few days at 6% BF :whiner:

i guess theres no hope for me

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

You're categorizing stored fats with dietary fats, and they're not the same thing.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Try adding some p-slin, yellow gold, ap or ala with your carbs. It will add a dramatic effect on keeping you lean while you increase your cabs. Also start taking 15 grams a day of fish oil.
EDIT: The addition of Anabolic Pump/Yellow Gold or P-Slin will help big time in keeping the BF down while ingesting alot of carbs.
Sounds like a magic diet pill to me :blink:

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
You're categorizing stored fats with dietary fats, and they're not the same thing.
That was poorly written. I lost my train of thought. I know they're not the same, but going low carb, high fat teaches your body to use fat for fuel which would hopefully make it easier to mobilize fat stores when cutting.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
How does pasta fair in comparison to brown rice on the GI index and as far as being a starchy carb?