Interesting rules for getting big.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with everything except for number 11. Also as far as the calories go don't START at 6000 calories ppl, lol You'll be a fat ass in no time. But yes it does take calories in that range to get you up over 250lbs or so.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with everything except for number 11. Also as far as the calories go don't START at 6000 calories ppl, lol You'll be a fat ass in no time. But yes it does take calories in that range to get you up over 250lbs or so.
i agree.............EVENTUALLY! he is aiming this article at the skinny white boys.............doesn't even say where to start or how to ramp up.............OH WELL! They will still get BIG on 6000 just not where they want to!

the rest looks pretty good!

lazerss9

Awards
whats up with number 6? i thought the 6-8 rep range was the key to mass and strength gains?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Good article, that reminds me, I should get a flu shot.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
i agree.............EVENTUALLY! he is aiming this article at the skinny white boys.............doesn't even say where to start or how to ramp up.............OH WELL! They will still get BIG on 6000 just not where they want to!

the rest looks pretty good!
No...read it again Mace...

The guy says don't start at 6000cals, work your way up...

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No...read it again Mace...

The guy says don't start at 6000cals, work your way up...
right, i understand...........but he doesn't tell them WHERE to start.......(like start at 3000 and add 250 a week till you get to 6000) that type of thing.........

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
whats up with number 6? i thought the 6-8 rep range was the key to mass and strength gains?
not true, it varies based on the individual. a major part of working out is testing different rep ranges and different routines to figure how which is optimal for growth for your body. 6-8 reps is a solid rep range for gaining strength, but if you go in the gym and do that week after week your body will adapt and you will find that your gains steadily decrease.

beginners especially should start with the 12-15 rep range...this is bc they haven't lifted weights intensely at any point before in their lives, so they need to start out small by going lighter, performing more reps to strengthen and train their stabilizer muscles to even handle heavier weights, and of course build initial muscle in the first place. 12 reps will still help you build muscle. especially if you're a beginner --- hence, beginner's gains. over time though, you will have to change it up to keep making gains

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
not true, it varies based on the individual. a major part of working out is testing different rep ranges and different routines to figure how which is optimal for growth for your body. 6-8 reps is a solid rep range for gaining strength, but if you go in the gym and do that week after week your body will adapt and you will find that your gains steadily decrease.

beginners especially should start with the 12-15 rep range...this is bc they haven't lifted weights intensely at any point before in their lives, so they need to start out small by going lighter, performing more reps to strengthen and train their stabilizer muscles to even handle heavier weights, and of course build initial muscle in the first place. 12 reps will still help you build muscle. especially if you're a beginner --- hence, beginner's gains. over time though, you will have to change it up to keep making gains
now that was a good interpretation and post I agree, this is for the twig guys or ectos that seem to think they cant gain. That was me once. I also think that that rep range gets the muscle fibers firing and used to doing the work, you can focus on form.

Honestly i never read the whole thing i just liked number 8 lol, surprised it got this much replies.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Different ppl have different muscle fiber ratios so different bodyparts respond to different rep ranges

bfrye2

bfrye2

Awards
Alright I have had two knee surgeries (needing another one) and only train my upper body as of now until i can do rehab for my knees. So according to this guy I just look plain dumb.

Total confidence killer, I might as well just give up lifting lol

yoshi5674

yoshi5674

Awards
  • Established
Alright I have had two knee surgeries (needing another one) and only train my upper body as of now until i can do rehab for my knees. So according to this guy I just look plain dumb.

Total confidence killer, I might as well just give up lifting lol
Negative, I haven't been able to squat for over ten years, finally through really light leg workouts I am able to increase the weight and intensity. I incorporated the rehab workouts into my routines for years. Yes, I had drawbacks because I wanted to do too much but I learned from that. Get your knees fixed, take it slow, literally do the reps slowly and you will make some progress.

bfrye2

bfrye2

Awards
Yea thats what im planning, I definitely need to start working my legs again, I just feel shaky on my knees.
I have the knees of a 50 year old at 21 so its not exactly the best conditions for getting huge legs

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Yea me too? whats the deal there?
Think about it this way..theoretically a guy can lift 100lbs 18 consecutive times...one the other hand, he can lift 200lbs 6 consecutive time...

100x18=1800 gross pounds
200x6=1200 gross pounds

Basically high repetitions will give you the ability to move more weight, overall.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Think about it this way..theoretically a guy can lift 100lbs 18 consecutive times...one the other hand, he can lift 200lbs 6 consecutive time...

100x18=1800 gross pounds
200x6=1200 gross pounds

Basically high repetitions will give you the ability to move more weight, overall.
I beleive more people should be using this formula when looking at progression. Especially when your having a tough day, and cant seem to move the weight. Lower the weight, and calculate.
It makes it much easier if your writing everything down of course!
Reps
(lol- I just noticed I got another crown overnight! :p .. how did that happen :p)

lazerss9

Awards

100x18=1800 gross pounds
200x6=1200 gross pounds

this makes perfect sense, but then why do so many people recommend a 5x5 program for bulking? just tryin to understand since im basically the scrawny guy they're talkin about in the article...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
this makes perfect sense, but then why do so many people recommend a 5x5 program for bulking? just tryin to understand since im basically the scrawny guy they're talkin about in the article...
Higher weights have the tendancy to stretch the muscle fascia and promote hypertrophy.

But in the end, people will max out for 1 or 2 reps and stretch the fascia much less than they will at a high weight for 6-8 reps. Think about it, you stretch it so much for 2 reps or you stretch just about the same for 6-8 reps...which sound like it would promote better growth

So I wasn't trying to refute that 6-8 as being good, or a higher rep scheme as better, but the principle still applys...

...I hope that was coherant.

lazerss9

Awards
Higher weights have the tendancy to stretch the muscle fascia and promote hypertrophy.

But in the end, people will max out for 1 or 2 reps and stretch the fascia much less than they will at a high weight for 6-8 reps. Think about it, you stretch it so much for 2 reps or you stretch just about the same for 6-8 reps...which sound like it would promote better growth

So I wasn't trying to refute that 6-8 as being good, or a higher rep scheme as better, but the principle still applys...

...I hope that was coherant.
that was kinda hard to understand, but are u basically saying that in theory, the higher reps, lower weight should give more size gains and lower reps, higher weight should give more strength gains?

and if thats the case, then would it be a good idea to switch between a low rep high weight and high rep low weight routine every two weeks or so? that way u would get both size and strength?

or am i completely off here....

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that was kinda hard to understand, but are u basically saying that in theory, the higher reps, lower weight should give more size gains and lower reps, higher weight should give more strength gains?

and if thats the case, then would it be a good idea to switch between a low rep high weight and high rep low weight routine every two weeks or so? that way u would get both size and strength?

This is a very common pratice.
You can switch it for every other workout if you wanted to. Or every month, every other month...
Progressiveness is key, next to diet.

The 5x5 routine also doesn't take as much energy it seems. So if your not eating enough, by reducing volumn, you burn less cals,.. giving you a higher daily calorie value (assuming diet remains unchanged)

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Just recently I have noticed my shoulders grow best using 15-20 reps.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established

Or you could start adding drop sets to our routine.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Just recently I have noticed my shoulders grow best using 15-20 reps.
I just finished my 3rd workout since I have started doing 15s for shoulders and I love them, my traps dont become involved and my arms feel so light afterwards, its too early to tell but if they do respond better to 15s I wonder how they would respond to 30-50 reps.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
I find this pretty hard to believe
" I went from 121 lbs to 248 pounds of lean muscle in just two years."

without taking any AAS? Hard to believe that.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
curls is big mass movement? how 'bout squats/deadlifts? & just speaking for myself, i can't train to absolute failure ALL of the time, my nervous system collapses after awhile. but hell, i'm not in the olympia this year!

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I just finished my 3rd workout since I have started doing 15s for shoulders and I love them, my traps dont become involved and my arms feel so light afterwards, its too early to tell but if they do respond better to 15s I wonder how they would respond to 30-50 reps.
you would have to lower the weight to much for that many reps to be effective imo.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is difference everyone has a different ratio of muscle fiber type in each body part so certain body parts respond better to certan reps ranges.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I find this pretty hard to believe
" I went from 121 lbs to 248 pounds of lean muscle in just two years."

without taking any anabolic steroids? Hard to believe that.
60 lbs a year natural? Oh sure, that's what I put on every year. ;)

Actually, if I was eating 6000 kCal a day, I probably could gain 60 lbs in a year... and be fat as hell.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
ive done anywhere from 3-5 rep sets to 12 rep sets and I make the best strength (not 1rm, but multi rep progression) and size gains in the 10-12 rep range.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is difference everyone has a different ratio of muscle fiber type in each body part so certain body parts respond better to certan reps ranges.
Of course, but 30-50 reps is crazy

hack

Awards
Can you print out #9 and post it all over the gym I go to. LOL