Protein Essential?

BigT4040

BigT4040

Awards
Hey im 18, 6'3" 195lbs. and about 11% bodyfat. Im not too happy with where my stregth is and have always seen myself as being too skinny. I need to know if adding protein shakes to your diet is essential. I've been takin about 40 g a day off and on for the past 2 years. i doubt that has helped a whole lot. If i keep workin hard and start takin about 200 g a day will it increase my strength and help me to bulk up? thanks for any advice!

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
This is very regular question, simply typing in "protein build muscle" into the google search bar or something similar will bring up tons of information.

Protein is crucial. The general concensus is for someone working out that 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight is suggested to take in daily.

So someone who is 200lbs should be taking in 300-400g of protein everyday. You should be doing this everyday, not just on your training days, your days off are when you repair and the need for nutrition is huge. It is hard to get all this protein from whole foods, so that is where shakes come in. Whey protein has a very high biological value...which means it is good quality protein. Just do some reading and you'll pick up a ton of info. Because trust me, reading up on these things will both save you time in reaching your goals and money along the way. Goodluck.

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
Carbs=Bulk.... Protien= build/support lean tissue

But I just take Steroids/Eat Fruit Loops/and Click my ruby slippers together...."I wish I was big,I wish I was big"
Works for me

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah I take in lots of carbs. Roughly 600g ED... if not more. When bulking of course

lazerss9

Awards
dont forget about bumpin up the calories. that's probably more important than anything. for ur weight, u probably need 3500-4000 minimum.

BigT4040

BigT4040

Awards
Thanks for the help. ill get things goin right away.