bulk diet. help needed!

THEleroy

Awards
ok, i'm 22, i weigh about 183, give or take, i'm 5'9", and i have around 9% body fat. i have been about this body weight/type for at least a year now. i just can not seem to put on weight. i have gotten stronger, but not really bigger.
my diet consists of
1.nutri-grain bar pre workout
2.cytogainer post workout
3.chicken breast or hamburgers(plain...just the meat)
4.either a slim fast shake or bar
5.pasta or chicken breast
6.strawberry/banana smoothie with whey protein
all these are spread throughout the day...
is there anything i can do differently? do i need to eat more? or different foods?
i'm also on somewhat of a budget(still in college)...
any tips?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At a glance, it is because you do not eat enough calories. Have lean protein and low GI carbs at every meal except before bed. Also make sure to eat fruits and vegetables at least 3x/day.

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
At a glance, it is because you do not eat enough calories. Have lean protein and low GI carbs at every meal except before bed. Also make sure to eat fruits and vegetables at least 3x/day.
Question.....

If someone is on a lower carb diet... should we NOT consume so many fruits? They are HIGH in sugar (though natural..) and carbs. ALSO...

What should one consime before bedtime? Casein protein...?

I tend to go LOW carbs... mainly complex in the morining... and simple to spike my insulin POST workout. I also tend to have some vegies with chix breast.... or almonds with my tuna...

But i REALLY limit my carb intake as i am worried about losing the abs..... TIPS?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Question.....

If someone is on a lower carb diet... should we NOT consume so many fruits? They are HIGH in sugar (though natural..) and carbs. ALSO...

What should one consime before bedtime? Casein protein...?

I tend to go LOW carbs... mainly complex in the morining... and simple to spike my insulin POST workout. I also tend to have some vegies with chix breast.... or almonds with my tuna...

But i REALLY limit my carb intake as i am worried about losing the abs..... TIPS?
Are you doing this for a cut or just out of fear of gaining fat?

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
Both.....

I want to maintain my abs for summer....

Also... i know, for me atleast, that i will put on weight quickly with carbs. I am worried as to putting on "fat" weight.

I lost my weight, to get my abs, by doing just the diet. Low carb... No real cardio was necessary.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Rodja is right..youre not getting even close to enough calories. i bet your not even breaking 1800 for the day...thats real low. to put on weight (muscle and alittel fat) you'll have to almost double what your doing now. bulking and keeping a defined six-pack is tough. You can still have thembut you'll look softer. ...can't have it both ways in a short of time...without help from chemestry. you'll have to cycle your calories up and down and keep to some level of cardio. My advice...save the weight gain till winter when it wont matter so much then cut down for the summer....join the club..thats what most of us do around here!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both.....

I want to maintain my abs for summer....

Also... i know, for me atleast, that i will put on weight quickly with carbs. I am worried as to putting on "fat" weight.

I lost my weight, to get my abs, by doing just the diet. Low carb... No real cardio was necessary.
Do you at least do regular refeeds?

THEleroy

Awards
bulking

so, basically i just need to double my calorie intake and i should gain the weight pretty quickly?
what are some good foods to do that with?

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
Do you at least do regular refeeds?

Not quite sure what you mean....?

P.S. You an MMA fighter?

And THEleroy.... on thi same forum "bulking".... there is a BUNCH of good threads on "cheap calories" and stuff! I just got done buying a bunch of stuff they listed. Its obvious that i'm not gaining due to MY diet aswell. The only thing is.. i would rather it take a month or two longer... but NOT have to do the extreme cutting b/c of the fat i gained while "bulking".

Carbs are it for me... once i can figure out how much is "safe" for me to consume.. and WHEN to consume them... i'm sure i'l be on my way to seeing better results...

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff!

Carb "loading"... is that what your talking about...?

Also... reason i ask is b/c you look familiar... i may have seen you on TV or something. I train in S. Florida with American Top Team....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good stuff!

Carb "loading"... is that what your talking about...?

Also... reason i ask is b/c you look familiar... i may have seen you on TV or something. I train in S. Florida with American Top Team....
My avatar is Wanderlei Silva, not me.:icon_lol:

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
My avatar is Wanderlei Silva, not me.:icon_lol:

Good reason you look "familiar". LOL

How long you been training.. ?

I have taken 3 months off from MMA... been hitting the gym HARD! It can be a little difficult though.. as i kno when i start training again... i can up my carbs BIGTIME.. as i will burn them.

But as of now.. i am dedicating my time to Gym/Pilot's School/work.... about in that order too! LOL

I need to figure out how mnay carbs are "safe" for me to consume.. WITHOUT gaining too much fat weight.. YET still keeping the "clean" calories high...

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
You need to eat way more. Carbs are not bad at all. Complex especially. A nutri-grain bar PreWO is like eating for catabolism. I would say hit up another thread to check for a diet.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
at 183 anywhere from 130 to 150 grams a day of carbs would be pretty good. i'm also carb sensative and find this works out well for me at 196

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
I'll try bumping it up to around 100 carbs or less on nonworkout days... and between 130-150 on training days...

Thanks!

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
that's a good start. stick to it for 2 weeks and see what's up

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Juicedeez utz Bulking 5
Bulking 6
the_swol_god Bulking 7
Bulking 6
Bulking 12