Carbs before bed?

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
I was reading that eating carbs before bed will help with weight gain, which makes sense, and would be good for someone who has a hard time putting on weight.

But I also read in a few places...

"Eating high-glycemic carbs (pasta, potatoes, white rice, sugar, etc.) right before bed will spike your insulin levels and blunt nighttime Human Growth Hormone (HGH) production."

Do you think its significant?

Should I eat carbs before bed anyways to put on more weight, or just protein?

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
This has been brought up a few times before...here's Bobo's take on it:

Thats not true. Your metabolism slows down during REM sleep but carbs do not negate the GH, LH and subsequent test release. However I would opt for a very small amont of carbs and fat along with a good slow digesting protein source. You simply do't want to have TOO many calories before bedtime due to slower metabolism.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
This whole thing about not eating carbs after like 8 pm is really just dumb. I dont suggest downing a bunch of sugar before bed, but complex carbs are fine.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
What if I want to gain as much fat and weight as possible? Then would simple carbs be ok?

What is the reason for complex before bed? slower absorption. Oh and seeing as I am lactose intolerant, what is the slowest absorbing meat? is it beef?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What if I want to gain as much fat and weight as possible? Then would simple carbs be ok?

What is the reason for complex before bed? slower absorption. Oh and seeing as I am lactose intolerant, what is the slowest absorbing meat? is it beef?
Why would you want to gain as much fat and weight as possible?? I'm very curious to see your answer, because I can't think of a logical reason to do that.

Beef would probably be the slowest absorbing due to the higher fat content.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
It's 10:30pm. I just got off work. I'm eating plate of pasta with light sauce. Then i will haver my protein shake in some skim. If you want to gain do it.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Why would you want to gain as much fat and weight as possible?? I'm very curious to see your answer, because I can't think of a logical reason to do that.

Beef would probably be the slowest absorbing due to the higher fat content.

Well, you need fat to gain muscle, correct?

naturally, I have a super low bodyfat 6% without any cardio and a clean diet of 4000 cals. So it doesnt matter wether the weight I put on is fat, I wouldn't mind looking more plump, because im too shredded for my size. ie. 6' 157 lbs.

Should I stick with complex carbs before bed anyways? Or do you think I could benifit from the simple GIs before bed? Would all go right to my stomach, (which doesnt even matter) Or will it go to the source that needs repairing (the muscle group I worked out that day)

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say you NEED fat to gain muscle, but you do need excess calories, which often leads to fat gain. I guess if you're just trying to put on weight, it doesn't really matter what type of carbs you eat before bed, because it's mainly due to your body not using the excess carbs/calories to function while you're sleeping. I'm still not sure whether slow or fast would be best in this situation, however, because I've never really given this much thought.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
First of, how do you handle carbs?

Secondly, once you get fat/create fat cells, there is no going back. Those fat cells are there forever, which means the more likely you are to get fat.

Anywho, I think at night you should stick to a low GI carb.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think that if your waking up in the middle of the night, craving some carbs, you probably could use some...

that being said, I often wake up around 12 and take down a bagle with honey, jelly, marshmellow spread.... sometimes all 3

IT actually helps me sleep. A few times a week shouldn't hurt much. I use eating in the middle of the night to my advantage, as my metabolism slows, making my calories more "valuable" then they normally would be, since my metabolism is slower

(I do leave the gym at 8pm though,.. and I can only cram but so much food in me before 11:00pm And 4 hours after lifting, my body screams for food..)

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
that being said, I often wake up around 12 and take down a bagle with honey, jelly, marshmellow spread.... sometimes all 3
:jaw: You are a lucky, lucky man if you can get away with that. I don't even want to know what I'd look like if I started using that tactic.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:jaw: You are a lucky, lucky man if you can get away with that. I don't even want to know what I'd look like if I started using that tactic.
I can't seem to break the cal barrier that consistantly, .. I have a difficult time bulking. lol- speghettie /meat sauce is a signature 2am snack after leg and back days...
sometimes at 12pm and 3am...

I'm hungry,... I eat and eat but as clean as I eat out of habbit, Its just hard to bulk past 185 (unless I have a ride to the grocery store every week- I can only carry but so much)

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I can't seem to break the cal barrier that consistantly, .. I have a difficult time bulking. lol- speghettie /meat sauce is a signature 2am snack after leg and back days...
sometimes at 12pm and 3am...

I'm hungry,... I eat and eat but as clean as I eat out of habbit, Its just hard to bulk past 185 (unless I have a ride to the grocery store every week- I can only carry but so much)
If there was a :jealous smiley, that is what you would see here.

:D

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

You can be jelous of me all you want durring my 40min walk home from work in this concrete jungle.. .:afro:

I'd love to be able to put on SOMETHING weight wise :p
Its a constant battle becasue as soon as Im at 185 on the weekend/Sunday night,.. I get to watch the weight slowly drop down a few pounds, despite eating at every possible moment... Simply staying at 184 (not quite at full glycogen storage limit) REQUIRES gettign up in the middle of the night to eat :aargh: :frustrate

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
:woohoo:
You can be jelous of me all you want durring my 40min walk home from work in this concrete jungle.. .:afro:

I'd love to be able to put on SOMETHING weight wise :p
Its a constant battle becasue as soon as Im at 185 on the weekend/Sunday night,.. I get to watch the weight slowly drop down a few pounds, despite eating at every possible moment... Simply staying at 184 (not quite at full glycogen storage limit) REQUIRES gettign up in the middle of the night to eat :aargh: :frustrate

Have you tried using a gainer supplement? You just need to have a huge caloric surplus to gain since your metabolism is very fast and adapts quickly to diet. If you really want to gain muscle don't do a clean bulk, do a dirty bulk. High fat foods like ice cream are a good thing. And if you are not taking in a post work-out shake containing protein and carbs such as maltodextrin or dextrose you should definately start. I am a fairly hard gainer to and these things worked for me very well. Now if you start gaining over 2 pounds a week then cut down a little, but I doubt you will have that problem

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:woohoo:

Have you tried using a gainer supplement? You just need to have a huge caloric surplus to gain since your metabolism is very fast and adapts quickly to diet. If you really want to gain muscle don't do a clean bulk, do a dirty bulk. High fat foods like ice cream are a good thing. And if you are not taking in a post work-out shake containing protein and carbs such as maltodextrin or dextrose you should definately start. I am a fairly hard gainer to and these things worked for me very well. Now if you start gaining over 2 pounds a week then cut down a little, but I doubt you will have that problem
2 pounds a week!!! lol,.. that's crazy weight for me :p
I am lucky if I can do 0.5lbs a week (last time I managed to do that was when AX hooked it up with some MASSFX to log).
And that was kinda difficult for me to maintain my diet like that..
I don't have a problem maintaining the weight, it's the putting it on part :hammer: ...
I like the ice cream idea... I jut feel that those calories just don't offer anything usefull. I'd slut out on some pizza before I would ice cream.

loner

loner

Awards
I eat a can of chili everynight before bed,knocks me right out and gives me energy in the morning.

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
I eat a can of chili everynight before bed,knocks me right out and gives me energy in the morning.
If I did that the only thing being knocked out is the O-Ring on my butthole.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
2 pounds a week!!! lol,.. that's crazy weight for me :p
I am lucky if I can do 0.5lbs a week (last time I managed to do that was when AX hooked it up with some MASSFX to log).
And that was kinda difficult for me to maintain my diet like that..
I don't have a problem maintaining the weight, it's the putting it on part :hammer: ...
I like the ice cream idea... I jut feel that those calories just don't offer anything usefull. I'd slut out on some pizza before I would ice cream.
haha well dude you say you want to gain right? Man just eat highly caloric dense foods. Like pop tarts and foods high in cream, you are obviously a ridiculousy hard gainer. I know how you feel though, when I first read about body builders eating ice cream and KFC to put on mass I was almost in disbelief.. but it works. Now obviously they are on gear when bulking so things are different but the need for a caloric surplus and consuming dirty calories is needed. Ice cream offers calories that are extremely usefull because when you jack up your calories you are stimulating an anabolic response and allowing maximum muscle growth. When you eat fat, especally saturated fats there is a direct correlation with raising test levels. And I hope you are not doing ANY cardio. Man just do some research and you will find this is true.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Wow I'm with you rpen. I'd be so fat I wouldn't be able to move if I did that. Gotta love the difference between endos and ectos. We put on weight like its going out of style, ectos eat anything they want and put on nothing. I guess there are pros and cons to both types.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
If I did that the only thing being knocked out is the O-Ring on my butthole.

Lol, thats hilarious... the 50 gram whey shake creates enough gas!!!

xtraflossy, I know what you mean dude. I am a super hard gainer, its even hard to maintain my weight, cause I started at 132 lbs with 10% bf, and got to 157 lbs at 6% bf, so its really easy for me to lose weight with such a low bf%.

problem is, im stuck at 157, and this JW and BAM make me feel super full at half the amount I would usually eat in one sitting. Should I pick up some Alfalfa so I can eat more?

last month, twice a week I would eat 2 double big macs, and a super size fries. Last night, I ate 1 double big mac, half of the other, and barely touched the fries. damn you ALRI!!!!! lol.

I almost would have been better off not taking this stuff. although I did gain roughly 5 lbs so far. I could have done that with 10 double big macs.

Rufio

Awards
Huh, I thought pasta was low glycemic carbs. According to my box of spaghetti noodles the carbs are complex. Maybe it depends which pastas.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Maybe it depends which pastas.
It does depend on which kind. There's one called Ezekiel 4:9 which is made out of sprouted grains and has a very low GI, I believe lower than normal pastas.

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
problem is, im stuck at 157, and this JW and BAM make me feel super full at half the amount I would usually eat in one sitting. Should I pick up some Alfalfa so I can eat more?
...Or "supplement" with some cannabis. (kidding...I dont condone drug use:banned:) You may try one of the appetite stimulants like Black Hole, but I cant speak from exprience on those. If possible, stay away from stims/ caffienated drinks(maybe even cut green tea if you drink it) to avoid suppressing your appetite throughout the day. I dont really eat in square meals either...Im more a snack constantly kinda guy, which keeps you from feeling too full throughout the day. I realize some people dont have the luxury of this, but I work at a hotel where I can go get snacks like bannanas, almonds, eggs, meats, and the like all day. You gotta love buffets. If you can eat like that...do it! So keep your meals light, calorie dense, and frequent. You will find you can pack in a whole lot more a day than by slamming a couple big mac's big and calling it quits. Hope any of that helps!

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
haha well dude you say you want to gain right? Man just eat highly caloric dense foods. Like pop tarts and foods high in cream, you are obviously a ridiculousy hard gainer. I know how you feel though, when I first read about body builders eating ice cream and KFC to put on mass I was almost in disbelief.. but it works. Now obviously they are on gear when bulking so things are different but the need for a caloric surplus and consuming dirty calories is needed. Ice cream offers calories that are extremely usefull because when you jack up your calories you are stimulating an anabolic response and allowing maximum muscle growth. When you eat fat, especally saturated fats there is a direct correlation with raising test levels. And I hope you are not doing ANY cardio. Man just do some research and you will find this is true.

lol- Yeah, I know it's true..
What Im tring to say, is No, I dont do cardio at the gym..
But I do 4 miles a day going to and from work, PLUS gym.
While I know I need to up the cals, I just FEEL like at 185, It dont need to resort to ice cream n' such. MAybe if I was 225 then yeah, but my daily calorie expendature (which can't be changed at this time) is kinda high.
I DO love some chicken quarters on the grill tho- I take the skin off, but there's plenty of fat tucked in a leg/thigh to get the effect (which I notice the test increase afterwards :)
Anyways, resulting to dirty bulking, while bennificial, is a more sloppy way for me to go about it. I'm not loosing weight now, so Im eating enough, and I'm gaining durring the week, from 182.5 up tp 185.5 , so it's like once I reach my magical 3lb glycogen storrage "limit", I have to start over :p
.... I'm tring to do Lunch at this buffet place (like Western sizzln') on Saturday or Sunday to help counter the losses. Just started last wekend, so hopefully this will make a difference (I know, 1 meal cant blah, blah,... but I honestly retain a good 1.5 pounds , or dont loose that, so that DOES put me up ahead of what I otherwise would be :p)

but now Im just rambeling:type:

loner

loner

Awards
I am a pretty easy gainer but my only enemy is lack of discipline and consistantcy.I was 190 @12% bodyfat at my peak just about to make the 200 lbs. mark but I gotten soo lazy,I was real dedicated in my early teens to early 20s but since hitting 25 I have been lazy for the past 2 years and it's been down hill since.Trying to get back into it...quote 'trying' lol

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Carbs at night will make you store fat because you don't use the energy they provide.

I have some cottage cheese with ground flax seed (fiber) before bed.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Carbs at night will make you store fat because you don't use the energy they provide.

I have some cottage cheese with ground flax seed (fiber) before bed.
You will store fat from energy you don't use at ANY time of day. The chace go up at night, but that all depends on your bodystate when going to bed.
If you lift in the evenings, you SHOULD be alright for the most part.

But, as a general rule, I TY to stay away from middle of the night carbs, but if it's the only option... (and I have to cook everything I have )

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
I am a pretty easy gainer but my only enemy is lack of discipline and consistantcy.I was 190 @12% bodyfat at my peak just about to make the 200 lbs. mark but I gotten soo lazy,I was real dedicated in my early teens to early 20s but since hitting 25 I have been lazy for the past 2 years and it's been down hill since.Trying to get back into it...quote 'trying' lol

Come on dude, challenge yourself, do it! Set a schedule and follow it through. That is what holds back all people in this world from succeeding, and seperates the greats from the average.

And whatastud08 I definatly have been eating more often. Its weird cause appetite is there, I get very very hungry every 2 hours, but I just cant fill my stomach as much, its like it shrank, ive heard of othe rpeople having this problem on JW/BAM as well. I got a superdrol clone on the way to help me pack on alot of weight, do you think I could go right from JW/BAM into superdrol?