What is the cheapest

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is cheepest way to get caloires per dollar and where?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
You have a very thick accent, but I understand and am not judging you.

Calorie-dense food. There are many options...

Well, for omnivores there is at least.

I'd say the supermarket. Or if you're snazzy, whole foods.

Natty PB is a good way to add more calories.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Costco if you have the ability to buy in bulk. Natty PB= godsend, almonds, olive oil, bulk canned tuna, and skim milk. Always easier to get some more calories in with those.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In Canada we have bulk barn, which has some good prices on bulk produce. I can get a kilo of oats for 1.35 which is pretty good, Costco doesn't carry bulk oats up here.

Costco like stated earlier is a great place to buy in bulk though, and for alot of produce you can get huge quantities for cheap, I'd definitely start there. You can get bulk nuts there, almond butter ( or PB), good frozen veggies for shakes with tons of skim milk and eggs. Buying in bulk is what you need to do. I assume you want to eat relatively clean, because you can bulk up on unhealthy foods for cheap as well.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got at wallmart for about 40+ cents yellow corn muffin with 840 caloires. I need something that has more caloires for about the same cost.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't forget rolled oats.

You can make your own smoothies/weight gainers pretty easily. Natty PB, eggs, milled flax, rolled oats (grind them in a coffee bean grinder if possible), skim milk, lowfat yogurt, protein powder, fruits of your choice, sucralose, olive oil etc. These can all be purchased at any grocery store or bulk stores and are pretty cheap.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
vones brought back double cupon back so I can look there right? I am just looking for the most cost effective food or what ever it is per caloire.

worm

worm

Awards
  • Established
All of the things the guys above said. Every morning before work I throw skim milk a cup of oats a couple table spoons of natty peanut butter a couple of eggs and a scoop of protien powder in the blender. You can't get to many better cheaper calories than that. But if your just looking for calories per dollar look into bulk tubs of lard.

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
In Canada we have bulk barn, which has some good prices on bulk produce. I can get a kilo of oats for 1.35 which is pretty good, Costco doesn't carry bulk oats up here.

Costco like stated earlier is a great place to buy in bulk though, and for alot of produce you can get huge quantities for cheap, I'd definitely start there. You can get bulk nuts there, almond butter ( or PB), good frozen veggies for shakes with tons of skim milk and eggs. Buying in bulk is what you need to do. I assume you want to eat relatively clean, because you can bulk up on unhealthy foods for cheap as well.
Costco carries a big ass box of quaker oatmeaL, i think like 5kgs

loner

loner

Awards
no one eats good ol fashion chili anymore? It has alot of sodium but if you put 80% of it in a drainer and wash out the sauce it will reduce the sodium dramaticly.I eat the Nalley original con carre brand..good stuff! lots of calories,complex carbs ,fiber and protein.Lean hamburger patties are a good way to get protein too.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
But if your just looking for calories per dollar look into bulk tubs of lard.
So lard per dollar has more caloires than any thing above?

dalvare1

dalvare1

Awards
IMO you should spend your money on Beef and Oats

For about $10 you can buy a few pounds of beef and a tub of oats and have food for a few days.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Im allergic to oats so I go for a giant bag of brown rice, and use a rice cooker. My ****s are huge with brown rice!!!!

loner

loner

Awards
I can't even eat oats.I have alergies to wheat,gluten,grain and rice.Sucks to be me! I can't seem to digest it! I tried white rice again for a while recently but it still made me ill.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
^^^^ that really sucks dude. I have the same allergies minus the rice. It sucks when you cant eat pizza, donughts, burgers, and fried chicken. lol, atleast I will live long.

Can you have Dairy? like weight gainers and stuff? I cant have that either. I have to swallow down hemp protein w/ rice milk. I save that for after the gym. I eat appx. 7 chicken breasts, 2 protein shakes, and 2 pots of rice or potatoes a day. plus other random stuff.

Oh and BTW,

Brown rice is more nutrient dense than oats.

Brown rice(cooked):
1 cup, 194 grams,
216 cals

Whole oats(cooked):
1 cup, 234 grams,
145 cals

loner

loner

Awards
^^
I can drink weight gainers just fine,the only thing I have problems with is the large ammount of thick liquid and can muck up my gut if I don't eat enough fiber to help it pass along. I do best if I am strict and eat only meat/veggies with a little carbs. Which is fine by me,it helps me stay trim.
:)

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Did not really read this thread so excuse me if these have been mentioned.

At my local market you can get:
2kg of beef mince for 5$
2k Oats 3$
24*250g Tuna, 48$
500g Baby Spinach 2$

The market is a gold mine.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Pasta.

1 box = $1 (or less) = 1600 calories

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Those ER bars are pretty horrible for you if you're not starving to death. Ingredients: Flour, Vegetable Shortening, Sugar, Corn Syrup.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Cheapest Protein: Whole Eggs, Chunk Light Tuna, Egg Whites, Skim Milk, Whey Powder. That's it for the decent tasting and healthy stuff (low in saturated fat). I'm sure you can find fatty beef, chicken gizards & hearts, etc pretty cheap too. Protein in general though is much more expensive per calorie than carbs or fat.

Cheapest Carbs: The raw bulk stuff is the cheapest by far. Rice, Dried Beans (kidney, black, etc), Lentils, Pasta, Oatmeal, etc. The problem with those is that you usually have to spend more for them to taste good (spices, sauce, broth, etc). And of course they take more time to prepare than other carb sources like bread and tortillas. Generic Mac N Cheese is actually pretty cheap. Plain sugar & dextrose are very cheap too but you obviously don't want to make them a huge part of your daily intake.

Cheapest Fats: Peanut Butter, Olive Oil (or other oil). Both very cheap. Probably the densest form of calories you'll find. 95-120 calories per tablespoon. The Extra Light Olive Oil is tasteless when added to other foods.