Hot tub bad for bulking?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.06%

Hot tub bad for bulking?

Is it possible that you lose weight sitting in a hot tub? Sweating, and skin cells bursting into the water? Muscles loosening?

Is it bad for a body builder, or benificial? Or make no difference?

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

It can be very beneficial, IMO. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say skin cells bursting into the water, but sweating and muscle loosening are not at all bad things for bodybuilders. If you're loosing any weight while in the hot tub, it's not gonna be muscle because of something the hot tub is doing.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.92%

i dont think your weekend hot tubbing will have an effect on your body building unless of course you sit in the hot tub days on end hours at a time. ide be more worried bout the 6 pack of beer you consume while relaxing in it.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Drink lots of water while your in there.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.06%

ok sounds fine then.

Well, I remember a while ago my science teacher telling me that the reason our hands and feet dry up in a hot tub is because the skin cells burst open because of osmosis, or something like that. But that probably just on our palms and soles.

So hot tub with water it is then!
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.67%

if anything, i'd say, its beneficial. first of all it's relaxing, that means it does something good for your nervous system. second, from the chemical perspective, as a rule of thumb my professor told me that 10 degree centigrade increase in temperature increases reaction rate 10 times. while not necessarily true in the body, which is not a cooking pot, the kinetic energy that molecules get from the rise in temperature does contribute somewhat to the recovery or whatever other business going on in the muscles.

on a non-muscle related note, the nut$ack keeps the bollocks outside the body at a lower temperature than body temp, so be careful with that.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.61%

Depending on the temperature, you'd get better vasodilation and blood flow. Just drink lots of water when you're in it, because it will dehydrate you faster then usual. I love working out at the local rec center only because of the hot tub. It's SOOO nice after kicking your own ass in the gym.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.67%

I think for the most part it will do you more good than bad. It will help you relax. Like the other guy said take it easy on those beers.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.81%

There's an article posted over at Avant stating that high temperatures (~140 degrees F) post workout increases hypertrophy by 30%.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.73%

140?? Damn! That would hurt
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bearmeat View Post
    There's an article posted over at Avant stating that high temperatures (~140 degrees F) post workout increases hypertrophy by 30%.
    The effects of drastically changing your body temperature post workout has been proven to increase recovery time. Many athletes would often dip into a borderline freezing pool after their intense workouts to increase blood flow to the muscles. I'm assuming in this case it's quite similiar... I'll have to check out that article posted above.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.73%

Wouldn't cold water drain blood from the arms and legs and into the core of the body?
  13. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.38%

Quote Originally Posted by \_JIMBO_/ View Post
    Wouldn't cold water drain blood from the arms and legs and into the core of the body?
    I believe you're correct. The reason why most people ice bodyparts is to reduce inflammation/swelling and bloodflow to that specific area. Heating the bodypart draws blood to the area, facilitating recovery, AFAIK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I understand it to work.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.52%

yeah, it diverts from the extremities to the core, trying to stave off hypothermia.

anyways, hot tub = goodness.
  15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    yeah, it diverts from the extremities to the core, trying to stave off hypothermia.

anyways, hot tub = goodness.
    I've seen numerous NFL/NBA teams with this professional cold water therapy pool.... it apparantly reduces DOMS and increases recovery. So they claim...

But I know for certain they utilize methods such as that, using the cold to their advantage somehow.
    Maybe... just thinking abstractly here... the blood flows away from the extremeties, and then floods back into them once you get out!?! Haha, making some sort of super saturation of blood?!? no idea...
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.73%

haha, Soak them in cold then throw them in Hot, instant recovery!
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I've seen numerous NFL/NBA teams with this professional cold water therapy pool.... it apparantly reduces DOMS and increases recovery. So they claim...

But I know for certain they utilize methods such as that, using the cold to their advantage somehow.
    Maybe... just thinking abstractly here... the blood flows away from the extremeties, and then floods back into them once you get out!?! Haha, making some sort of super saturation of blood?!? no idea...
    could be a possibility. Could really help for injuries and inflammation..

I'm not an expert, but I now my wife is bugging me for a hot tub... and I secretly want one just as bad.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.45%

I've heard the same as well regarding cold compress and ice water therapy. For what its worth, ive talked to a professional sports traininer for the NFL, and he said it was a proven method to expetite recovery. He did give me a long explanation, but i forget exactly what he said. It was a couple of years ago and sounded good at the time. lol
  19. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.38%

haha, Soak them in cold then throw them in Hot, instant recovery!
    Speaking of that, I actually remember reading an article a while ago saying just that. Something about a PWO contrast shower switching between cold water and hot water to speed recovery.

I couldn't find the original article, but here's a quote from a different one:

"Alternate between 30 seconds of cold water and two minutes of hot water. Perform this cycle three or four times. This technique is very effective at increasing peripheral blood flow, thus facilitating recovery. Again, donít use this method if you're suffering from an overuse injury or excessive inflammation."

And yes, it is from T-nation, so take it for what it's worth, but that's now where I originally read about it.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.06%

Well, there is that medical rule of thumb too for injuries: cold pack right away, heat a few hours after. But I guess thats just for the inflamation and pain. Who cares about pain, bring on the pain! And the inflamation, BRING ON THE PUMP!

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to drink your protein in a sauna after a workout, SUPER NUTRIENT DELIVERY.

Oh, and going from cold to hot in the shower, I heard thats really good for you. I remember doing it, and my skin felt really smooth and tight after. Its cool. I guess you could say it raises your "chi".
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.81%

140?? Damn! That would hurt
    They were suggesting a sauna not water.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is sugar bad for bulking?
    By adamldavis in forum Bulking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 12:49 AM