I need help gaining please!!

  1. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    I need help gaining please!!


    Ok, I been training for 2 years now, bery seriously and following a very strict nutrition plan of about 3100 - 4000 ca;s a day.
    I train 4 times a week using a pyramid system of 12, 10, 8 and 6 reps getitng heavier as I go.

    I train in a split, Mon-Legs, Tue-Chest, Thur-Back And Shoulders, Fri-Arms.
    I use all compopund exercises/movements such as bench squats, deadlifts, leg press, mil press etc... and mix a couple of other things in like curls etc.

    Ok diet is all good i think it is this:

    Breakfast: 6 eggs (4 whites 2 whole) and yoghurt.

    Meal 1: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 can of tuna

    Meal 2: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 large grilled chicken breast

    Meal 3: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 can of tuna


    Meal 4: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 large grilled chicken breast

    Meal 5: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 can of tuna


    I also have a weight gainer and protein shake as well Pre and post workout (weight gainer protein) and before bed (protein)

    My current stats:

    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 165lbs
    BodyFat: 16%
    Arms: 15'
    Chest: 41'
    Waist: 33'

    Any help please?

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,545
    Rep Power
    1213212
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.27%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Varying your sources of protein and carbs is a start. Also, it seems like you have very little fat in your diet, which is holding back your gains.
  3. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Varying your sources of protein and carbs is a start. Also, it seems like you have very little fat in your diet, which is holding back your gains.
    so more fat? thats about 56g a day. how much would I need?
    •   
       

  4. King Kong
    idunk42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,348
    Rep Power
    1289
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    94.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    With the amount of cals you get in, you want around 100g's of fat. If you're taking in 4000 cals, @22% of your cals will come from fat if you take in 100gs.

    Right now, only about 12% of your cals is coming from fat.
  5. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by idunk42 View Post
    With the amount of cals you get in, you want around 100g's of fat. If you're taking in 4000 cals, @22% of your cals will come from fat if you take in 100gs.

    Right now, only about 12% of your cals is coming from fat.
    So I shouldn't gain any fat from having about 100g of fat a day?
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,545
    Rep Power
    1213212
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.27%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by daman1985 View Post
    So I shouldn't gain any fat from having about 100g of fat a day?
    Whenever you are in a caloric surplus, you run the risk of gaining fat.
  7. New Member
    fasthumpman's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    121
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    84.13%

    i would try doing less reps with more weight. plus if your not varying your exercises your muscles wont be stimulated as easily. i would try somthing like 8, 6, 6, 4 and do each set to failure. goodluck man just givin you my .02
  8. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by fasthumpman View Post
    i would try doing less reps with more weight. plus if your not varying your exercises your muscles wont be stimulated as easily. i would try somthing like 8, 6, 6, 4 and do each set to failure. goodluck man just givin you my .02
    thanks man, i already do the more weights less reps thing but I have trouble upping y weights, even the heaviest i can do is weak.
    I vary my program quite often too.
    thanks tho bro.

    Is there any medical or mental conditions which can stop muscle growth? I have been told that that may be why i aint growing, but the doctors I have seen kinda dont wanna help me to gain muscle, they advse me against it.
  9. New Member
    fasthumpman's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    121
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    84.13%

    Quote Originally Posted by daman1985 View Post
    thanks man, i already do the more weights less reps thing but I have trouble upping y weights, even the heaviest i can do is weak.
    I vary my program quite often too.
    thanks tho bro.

    Is there any medical or mental conditions which can stop muscle growth? I have been told that that may be why i aint growing, but the doctors I have seen kinda dont wanna help me to gain muscle, they advse me against it.
    you might want to look into getting your thyroid functions checked out by a doctor. this can prevent bone and muscle growth if you have an abnormal thyroid function. check this link out. [URL="http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/growththyroid"]

    also you have a slight chance of your body producing low testosterone and i believe both of these can be checked with a simple blood test but is definitally worth lookin into.
  10. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by fasthumpman View Post
    you might want to look into getting your thyroid functions checked out by a doctor. this can prevent bone and muscle growth if you have an abnormal thyroid function. check this link out. [URL="http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/growththyroid"]

    also you have a slight chance of your body producing low testosterone and i believe both of these can be checked with a simple blood test but is definitally worth lookin into.
    already had blood test for testosterone. It high. so maybe thyroid.
  11. New Member
    Vicarious's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    459
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    28.29%

    I wouldn't worry too much about thyroid if i were you. As usual Rodja hit right on (he's smaaaht). Vary your carb sources, increase fats to 90 - 110 grams a day and most importantly vary your routine. you should be on a 2 week routine essentially tricking your body into growing. I also pyramid'd back in the day when it was all the rave. You gain quickly they stay exactly the same. Vary your timing under pressure and reps on a bi-weekly basis. get out of the mindset that your on a 1 week rotation. Try a couple of months of 8 to 10 reps and use different excercises. And most important load the weights up. if you want to grow you have to 1. EAT and 2. load up the weights. if your used to throwing on a 25# plate, throw on a 35 or 45 instead. Stick to timing and form.

    Also you should be shooting for 6 meals a day min not 5. JMO. I eat 6 during a bulk and I'm finding out during my cut that 7 is even better. GL, let us know how you do!
  12. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about thyroid if i were you. As usual Rodja hit right on (he's smaaaht). Vary your carb sources, increase fats to 90 - 110 grams a day and most importantly vary your routine. you should be on a 2 week routine essentially tricking your body into growing. I also pyramid'd back in the day when it was all the rave. You gain quickly they stay exactly the same. Vary your timing under pressure and reps on a bi-weekly basis. get out of the mindset that your on a 1 week rotation. Try a couple of months of 8 to 10 reps and use different excercises. And most important load the weights up. if you want to grow you have to 1. EAT and 2. load up the weights. if your used to throwing on a 25# plate, throw on a 35 or 45 instead. Stick to timing and form.

    Also you should be shooting for 6 meals a day min not 5. JMO. I eat 6 during a bulk and I'm finding out during my cut that 7 is even better. GL, let us know how you do!
    Thanks bro but I am eating 6 meals a day, Breakfast and the 5 following, as well as my protein shakes (about 500ml of milk used to make then so I go through a litre of milk in a day easy!).
    I already change my routine every 2nd week as I was originally told to "shock" the muscle into growing. But how do you up the weight if even when you up it by like 2Kg max, you cant move the weight or you cant complete a minimum number of reps? That is what I am finding. For example, when I bench, I will do 45Kg for 10 reps, then up it to the next weight I can which is 50Kg, and only manage 4 reps instead of 8-10. How do you overcome this because I have been stuck on the ame weight on everything for so long, I up it, cant do it so have to use the lower weight again. What do I do? Shouldn't strength grow as you up the weight, even if you you don't do all the reps? Cause mine doesn't, and I have been told not to worry as it should go up but it has been the same for the past 2 years.
  13. New Member
    Vicarious's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    459
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    28.29%

    Doesn't sound like your muscles are charged up enough. focus on your pre and post wo meals. Here's a flawless one.
    1 cup skim milk, one whole grain bagel, 1 cup 1% cottege cheese. 1 serving whey isolate. eat it about 1 to 1.5 hours before you lift and fast as you can after you lift.
  14. New Member
    daman1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    67.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    Doesn't sound like your muscles are charged up enough. focus on your pre and post wo meals. Here's a flawless one.
    1 cup skim milk, one whole grain bagel, 1 cup 1% cottege cheese. 1 serving whey isolate. eat it about 1 to 1.5 hours before you lift and fast as you can after you lift.
    so eat that pre and post? whats a bagel? we dont hav them in aus i think.
  15. New Member
    CarterMalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    164
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    66.58%

    Basically, no matter what, as your strength increases, so does your size, and seeing as your strength is not increasing, then you will have a hard time growing.

    Stick to the basics for now, and dont go all wonky with all that shock **** right now.

    Split your workouts so they include

    chest, shoulders, and triceps

    back, biceps, and forearms

    quads, hams, and calves

    these three splits should have masters...

    the 3 masters of mass are bench press, deadlift, and squat.

    Believe it or not, doing deadlift and squat will help you lift more in bench press, because the more weight you can resist against with your body, the more testosterone, growth hormone, and "chi" will circulate.

    But you probably already know that those 3 are the best mass builders.

    Anyways....

    Get a training partner. He can spot you on bench press.

    All your exercises do 4-8 reps till failure, doesnt matter. No more above that. And do 5 sets (no matter what), if you cant put out enough reps to keep the sets going, then lower the weight till you can pump out 4-8 on the last few . Do this for 4 weeks, and YOU WILL be able to lift more.

    Doing 5 sets is key. Do your positives and negatives slow and with good form (even if you have to lower the weight) dont worry about people watching, who cares. Then every 3rd time you do a specific body composition day, work on your fast twitch, (do your positive fast, and with explosion, dont worry about the negative). You will be able to lift more weight.

    Here is an example, week 1, day 1, bench press - slow good form
    week 2, day 1, bench press - slow good form
    week 3, day 1, bench press - super fast ballistic explosive positives

    Then back to the beginning.

    Dont worry about switching your days around too much now. Let your body adapt to when you are going to go into the gym and do certain exercises.

    oh yea, add more fat to your diet. Oh and vegetables too!!!! They contain enzymes which help you digest and use your food for building muscle.

    Make sure you get simple carbs after the gym with your protein, this will spike your insulin, helping you gain more weight after a workout.

    Hope that helps dude, Do this for 3 weeks, and if you cant lift more on your bench press the 4th week, then stick a needle in your butt. No j/k dont worry about that now, You can do it!!!!!!!!!

    Now get in that gym, and bring a warriors mentallity, dont let anything bring your lifting down, mind over matter, lets go!!!!!!!
  16. New Member
    Vicarious's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    459
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    28.29%

    Quote Originally Posted by daman1985 View Post
    so eat that pre and post? whats a bagel? we dont hav them in aus i think.
    sorry mate! how about a cup of oatmeal. That will do also. Oatmeal is everywhere. geez no bagel in aus. and i wanted to visit too..

    In your situation you really should be sticking to reps 0f 8 to 10 (varied by week) once you break the plateau a lower rep scheme is OK. but don't use it more than a month. squats/deads/bench are a fool proof plan to gain. Again use incline and decline bench for the most part (DB on one BB on the other, then alternate). Mix in a spatter of Db Flat bench every second week. geez, your getting quite the workout/diet plan here
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Need Help gaining weight
    By Rain050 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 06:28 AM
  3. Need help bulking! please!
    By Swoldierboy in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
  4. I need help gaining weight.
    By Sinr98 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
  5. Need Help Ladies***Please***
    By GymRat5972 in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 01:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in