I need help gaining please!!

daman1985

Awards
Ok, I been training for 2 years now, bery seriously and following a very strict nutrition plan of about 3100 - 4000 ca;s a day.
I train 4 times a week using a pyramid system of 12, 10, 8 and 6 reps getitng heavier as I go.

I train in a split, Mon-Legs, Tue-Chest, Thur-Back And Shoulders, Fri-Arms.
I use all compopund exercises/movements such as bench squats, deadlifts, leg press, mil press etc... and mix a couple of other things in like curls etc.

Ok diet is all good i think it is this:

Breakfast: 6 eggs (4 whites 2 whole) and yoghurt.

Meal 1: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 can of tuna

Meal 2: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 large grilled chicken breast

Meal 3: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 can of tuna

Meal 4: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 large grilled chicken breast

Meal 5: 1 cup of brown rice 1 cup of and 1 can of tuna

I also have a weight gainer and protein shake as well Pre and post workout (weight gainer protein) and before bed (protein)

My current stats:

Height: 5'8
Weight: 165lbs
BodyFat: 16%
Arms: 15'
Chest: 41'
Waist: 33'

Any help please?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Varying your sources of protein and carbs is a start. Also, it seems like you have very little fat in your diet, which is holding back your gains.

daman1985

Awards
Varying your sources of protein and carbs is a start. Also, it seems like you have very little fat in your diet, which is holding back your gains.
so more fat? thats about 56g a day. how much would I need?

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
With the amount of cals you get in, you want around 100g's of fat. If you're taking in 4000 cals, @22% of your cals will come from fat if you take in 100gs.

Right now, only about 12% of your cals is coming from fat.

daman1985

Awards
With the amount of cals you get in, you want around 100g's of fat. If you're taking in 4000 cals, @22% of your cals will come from fat if you take in 100gs.

Right now, only about 12% of your cals is coming from fat.
So I shouldn't gain any fat from having about 100g of fat a day?

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
i would try doing less reps with more weight. plus if your not varying your exercises your muscles wont be stimulated as easily. i would try somthing like 8, 6, 6, 4 and do each set to failure. goodluck man just givin you my .02

daman1985

Awards
i would try doing less reps with more weight. plus if your not varying your exercises your muscles wont be stimulated as easily. i would try somthing like 8, 6, 6, 4 and do each set to failure. goodluck man just givin you my .02
thanks man, i already do the more weights less reps thing but I have trouble upping y weights, even the heaviest i can do is weak.
I vary my program quite often too.
thanks tho bro.

Is there any medical or mental conditions which can stop muscle growth? I have been told that that may be why i aint growing, but the doctors I have seen kinda dont wanna help me to gain muscle, they advse me against it.

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
thanks man, i already do the more weights less reps thing but I have trouble upping y weights, even the heaviest i can do is weak.
I vary my program quite often too.
thanks tho bro.

Is there any medical or mental conditions which can stop muscle growth? I have been told that that may be why i aint growing, but the doctors I have seen kinda dont wanna help me to gain muscle, they advse me against it.
you might want to look into getting your thyroid functions checked out by a doctor. this can prevent bone and muscle growth if you have an abnormal thyroid function. check this link out.

also you have a slight chance of your body producing low testosterone and i believe both of these can be checked with a simple blood test but is definitally worth lookin into.

daman1985

Awards
Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry too much about thyroid if i were you. As usual Rodja hit right on (he's smaaaht). Vary your carb sources, increase fats to 90 - 110 grams a day and most importantly vary your routine. you should be on a 2 week routine essentially tricking your body into growing. I also pyramid'd back in the day when it was all the rave. You gain quickly they stay exactly the same. Vary your timing under pressure and reps on a bi-weekly basis. get out of the mindset that your on a 1 week rotation. Try a couple of months of 8 to 10 reps and use different excercises. And most important load the weights up. if you want to grow you have to 1. EAT and 2. load up the weights. if your used to throwing on a 25# plate, throw on a 35 or 45 instead. Stick to timing and form.

Also you should be shooting for 6 meals a day min not 5. JMO. I eat 6 during a bulk and I'm finding out during my cut that 7 is even better. GL, let us know how you do!

daman1985

Awards
I wouldn't worry too much about thyroid if i were you. As usual Rodja hit right on (he's smaaaht). Vary your carb sources, increase fats to 90 - 110 grams a day and most importantly vary your routine. you should be on a 2 week routine essentially tricking your body into growing. I also pyramid'd back in the day when it was all the rave. You gain quickly they stay exactly the same. Vary your timing under pressure and reps on a bi-weekly basis. get out of the mindset that your on a 1 week rotation. Try a couple of months of 8 to 10 reps and use different excercises. And most important load the weights up. if you want to grow you have to 1. EAT and 2. load up the weights. if your used to throwing on a 25# plate, throw on a 35 or 45 instead. Stick to timing and form.

Also you should be shooting for 6 meals a day min not 5. JMO. I eat 6 during a bulk and I'm finding out during my cut that 7 is even better. GL, let us know how you do!
Thanks bro but I am eating 6 meals a day, Breakfast and the 5 following, as well as my protein shakes (about 500ml of milk used to make then so I go through a litre of milk in a day easy!).
I already change my routine every 2nd week as I was originally told to "shock" the muscle into growing. But how do you up the weight if even when you up it by like 2Kg max, you cant move the weight or you cant complete a minimum number of reps? That is what I am finding. For example, when I bench, I will do 45Kg for 10 reps, then up it to the next weight I can which is 50Kg, and only manage 4 reps instead of 8-10. How do you overcome this because I have been stuck on the ame weight on everything for so long, I up it, cant do it so have to use the lower weight again. What do I do? Shouldn't strength grow as you up the weight, even if you you don't do all the reps? Cause mine doesn't, and I have been told not to worry as it should go up but it has been the same for the past 2 years.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't sound like your muscles are charged up enough. focus on your pre and post wo meals. Here's a flawless one.
1 cup skim milk, one whole grain bagel, 1 cup 1% cottege cheese. 1 serving whey isolate. eat it about 1 to 1.5 hours before you lift and fast as you can after you lift.

daman1985

Awards
Doesn't sound like your muscles are charged up enough. focus on your pre and post wo meals. Here's a flawless one.
1 cup skim milk, one whole grain bagel, 1 cup 1% cottege cheese. 1 serving whey isolate. eat it about 1 to 1.5 hours before you lift and fast as you can after you lift.
so eat that pre and post? whats a bagel? we dont hav them in aus i think.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Basically, no matter what, as your strength increases, so does your size, and seeing as your strength is not increasing, then you will have a hard time growing.

Stick to the basics for now, and dont go all wonky with all that shock **** right now.

Split your workouts so they include

chest, shoulders, and triceps

back, biceps, and forearms

quads, hams, and calves

these three splits should have masters...

the 3 masters of mass are bench press, deadlift, and squat.

Believe it or not, doing deadlift and squat will help you lift more in bench press, because the more weight you can resist against with your body, the more testosterone, growth hormone, and "chi" will circulate.

But you probably already know that those 3 are the best mass builders.

Anyways....

Get a training partner. He can spot you on bench press.

All your exercises do 4-8 reps till failure, doesnt matter. No more above that. And do 5 sets (no matter what), if you cant put out enough reps to keep the sets going, then lower the weight till you can pump out 4-8 on the last few . Do this for 4 weeks, and YOU WILL be able to lift more.

Doing 5 sets is key. Do your positives and negatives slow and with good form (even if you have to lower the weight) dont worry about people watching, who cares. Then every 3rd time you do a specific body composition day, work on your fast twitch, (do your positive fast, and with explosion, dont worry about the negative). You will be able to lift more weight.

Here is an example, week 1, day 1, bench press - slow good form
week 2, day 1, bench press - slow good form
week 3, day 1, bench press - super fast ballistic explosive positives

Then back to the beginning.

Dont worry about switching your days around too much now. Let your body adapt to when you are going to go into the gym and do certain exercises.

oh yea, add more fat to your diet. Oh and vegetables too!!!! They contain enzymes which help you digest and use your food for building muscle.

Make sure you get simple carbs after the gym with your protein, this will spike your insulin, helping you gain more weight after a workout.

Hope that helps dude, Do this for 3 weeks, and if you cant lift more on your bench press the 4th week, then stick a needle in your butt. No j/k dont worry about that now, You can do it!!!!!!!!!

Now get in that gym, and bring a warriors mentallity, dont let anything bring your lifting down, mind over matter, lets go!!!!!!!

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
so eat that pre and post? whats a bagel? we dont hav them in aus i think.
sorry mate! how about a cup of oatmeal. That will do also. Oatmeal is everywhere. geez no bagel in aus. and i wanted to visit too..

In your situation you really should be sticking to reps 0f 8 to 10 (varied by week) once you break the plateau a lower rep scheme is OK. but don't use it more than a month. squats/deads/bench are a fool proof plan to gain. Again use incline and decline bench for the most part (DB on one BB on the other, then alternate). Mix in a spatter of Db Flat bench every second week. geez, your getting quite the workout/diet plan here:cheers: