Football Bulk

Pdavis

Pdavis

Awards
I'm 16 and im going to be a Senior next year. My goal is to be 225 come next season. So far ive gone from 160 to 200 (used to wrestle).

Can anyone help me out by giving me some workout tips to build mass but also keep my quickness. I dont want to get too big and be slow.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would do heavy sets for like 6 reps and do sets of sprints to keep those fast twitch calfs and quads in speed shape.

Pdavis

Pdavis

Awards
Right now im doing the Cal workout, a lot of olympic lifts. Not too much running yet.

-Front Squats/Back Squats
-Power Cleans
-Clean and Jerks
-Snatch Cleans ect...

I just want to know what i should be doing to get BIG and what i should be taking to get there

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlifts need to be in there and just make sure to eat quality foods. The only supplemeny you may want to use is a protein powder and creatine.

Pdavis

Pdavis

Awards
Yea i forgot to mention deadlifts.

My goal is to get to 225 come next year, gotta impress the scouts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea i forgot to mention deadlifts.

My goal is to get to 225 come next year, gotta impress the scouts.
You should worry more about applicable mass than just a raw number. You will get bigger and stronger as long as you are consistent and eat enough.

Pdavis

Pdavis

Awards
thats true, ive been eating a lot

im used to cutting weight for wrestling so i feel bad, but at the same time i know i have to put in the calories in order to gain.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If you really want to excell in football then I'd drop wrestling, or wrestle at a much higher weight. Wrestling is good for training you to use leverage on the field but if it's at the expense of weighing 160 then it's not worth it IMO.

Home made weight gainers are a great tool. Mix 2 scoops of whey, 1-1.5 cups of oats and throw some natty peanut butter.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Agree with all the above. Lifts look good but just curiouse do you have a breakdown of workouts that you use on specific days (like how many days and what you do on each day?) Really go all out on your legs (I know youll be working out hard on everything but your legs should be your strongest point.)

As for eating theres alot of threads in the bulking section that will help you out and all I can advise is formulate a meal/cal layout on FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal and post it up on here so we can critique it and offer advice.

And as for supplements there isnt really anything you need to take except multis, protein powder, and maybe creatine (and depending on where your from even be careful with that, Im from NJ and they implemented the steroid testing policy so just in case your from NJ~ also texas will be passing into effect shortly)

Side Notes: Like mentioned before and probably will again eat like a horse (clean of course), train hard, sleep as much as possible, and stay away from the boos as much as possible, and SET GOALS and track your gains.

Best of luck man and if you give it 100% theres no reason why you shouldnt reach and or surpass your goals.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Props to you for doing all the olympic lifts and deads. More HS strength coaches need to be teaching those (and properly!). The local HS coach here still has his kids benching 3x's per week and NO olympic lifts. Idiot.

The kids come to me all summer for programs, then the coach gets pissed at them for not doing his program. I just don't get it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Props to you for doing all the olympic lifts and deads. More HS strength coaches need to be teaching those (and properly!). The local HS coach here still has his kids benching 3x's per week and NO olympic lifts. Idiot.

The kids come to me all summer for programs, then the coach gets pissed at them for not doing his program. I just don't get it.
Bro, I'm a high school coach myself (lots of fun by the way) and some head coaches I worked under have very archaic training methods to say the least. Some have a mentality that they have to workout harder DURING the season then they do in the off-season. Some have no clue on nutrition and sport specific training. Some still believe low intensity cardio is better then wind sprints and plyometrics LOL.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Bro, I'm a high school coach myself (lots of fun by the way) and some head coaches I worked under have very archaic training methods to say the least. Some have a mentality that they have to workout harder DURING the season then they do in the off-season. Some have no clue on nutrition and sport specific training. Some still believe low intensity cardio is better then wind sprints and plyometrics LOL.
Every bad thing you just mentioned describes the local coach to a "T".

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
-Front Squats/Back Squats
-Power Cleans
-Clean and Jerks
-Snatch Cleans ect...
For middlebacker? your doing all you need! thats all any football player needs! awesome. Radja is right throw in deads and then focus on sprints. HITT concepts sound like a perfect addition.

Good job

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
You could change up your volume throughout the year. You could add a few exercises this time of year, and a few more sets of the ones you're already doing. Then start cutting down your volume when practice starts, and cut it down even further when the season starts.

Like Iron alluded to, during the season is not the time to be worried about getting stronger. You should only be worried about maintaing as much of what you built up as possible and staying injury free.

The off-season is the time to get bigger and stronger! You're already doing the right stuff for that.

Edit: I repped ya for being 16 AND smart about your training. Keep reading the advice from others here that have been where you are and WISHED we had someone giving us this kind of advice.

Last edited:
Pdavis

Pdavis

Awards
Thanks, it's always good to ask others first. Chances are they made mistakes and can help make it so you dont do the same.

Thanks for all of you for helping me out

Pirate Grim

Awards
The way to gain 25lbs ...FAST

Dude when I was bulking up as a sophomore in high school I overtrained alot. I would recommend lifting 6 to 10 reps build mind bending strength , the size will come. Workout each bodypart only once per week , max. Use heavy weight but w perfect form. Forget the numbers and in your mind see yourself getting stronger. Eat everything in sight and train really heavy, (but not to hard as your 16 have to watch the bones still growing ) Rest. Train eat rest Train eat rest,,,Ive bulked up 25 lbs in 8 weeks by training heavy, eating ALOT and resting and growing when I was 16. Only go all out for about 8 weeks. By then you will haved gained some considerable amount of fat but also alot of muscle. Your strength will go up, and size will go up from that. Dont drink alcohol, smoke anything, and drink lots of water. Eat good home food and less fast food. Most of all, you have to make up your mind to just do it.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea this situation is EXACTLY what I went thru going into my senior year. I did the piss poor nutrition plan they had for me to get to 200lbs from 170 i was about 5'8". I put on the weight lost 2 tenths off my 40 and only did 265 @ our "Bench-off" while @ aq lean 17% BF lol. Im kinda happy I blew a hammy during 2 a days and quit (early august)in time to be healthy for baseball season. Moral of the story.........

I got with a knowledgeable man similar to the fine people you find here on AM who worked with my training and diet, 180 degreee turn around. By April of my senior year I was 172lbs @ about 10% BF and benched 315 in front of that same football coach in my lifting class. The next day I got a note from out AD to come talk to him about "performance enhanceing substances" and the "conference" wanted to test me so i did it passed with flying colors and asked the AD "Hey what did I test positive for, hardwork and knowledge?" Jack A$$.

Pdavid soak it up like a sponge you've come to a good place.

Last edited:
Pdavis

Pdavis

Awards
I have to get myself out of the wrestler mentality. I know i need to eat more to get bigger but i dont want to gain all that fat...

I guess there's no real way around it though.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I have to get myself out of the wrestler mentality. I know i need to eat more to get bigger but i dont want to gain all that fat...

I guess there's no real way around it though.
Sure there is! watch your fats (40 to 60 grams a day) and keep your carbs at break point level. 250-300 grams/day. And keep tweeking until you find the right combo. it takes some work. That formula has worked for me I'm 5'8" about 215 now (down from 220 2 weeks ago---pre-cutting, before the real deal). A lean bulk is is very attainable especially at your age. Take some time and work out a good weekly diet plan. post it here and we can offer up any suggestions.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea heres a good ball park for calorie breakdown by %. of calories from each group. 40% protein/40% good carbs/20% healthy fats or 30/50/20 for naturally leaner guys.

Good carbs
Whole wheat bread
Brown Rice
Oatmeal
Sweet potatos

Healthy fats
Natural Peanut Butter
Olive oil
Sunflower oil
Almonds

and of course chicken,tuna,steak,eggs/eggwhites, and salmon.

Only thing else you need is a good multi-vitamin, some whey protein, and maybe some creatine(your call, i started it when I was 16 or 17) and your good to go......good luck man

Pirate Grim

Awards
Choose your Mental state

Theres always a way to do anything. If you say "Iam never going to be big and ripped" enough you will probably always fall short because your always speaking that. Once you make your mind up, its easy afterward, you just do what it takes. It can be mentally frustrating if your always "thinking" if you are going to reach your physique and performance goals, you cant apply 100% mental focus to that. When I go to the gym I have one goal and only one. To improve myself and my physique. Thats all there is to it and I dont allow negative thinking to poision my actions. like chris cook said about turning pro, they asked if it was hard he said, "Not Really once I made my mind up it was all downhill after that. I made my mind up to grow again and I beat my all time heavy bodyweight of 232 and made it to 247. Everyday you wake up, you may ponder your existance, job, girlfriend, even your friends. One thing you have to lock in and do this asap,is the thought process "Iam a Professional bodybuilder/athlete and I eat train and act like it. There are many out there but My dedication and inner strength is like no other. This is why I will win because everyday i see myself as a winner" say this and think it everyday and youll find yourself making progress without "thinking" about it. If you say you have a wrestler mentality well you will. If you say you have a "I WILL GAIN MUSCLE" you will do so. Quit being scared and start eating and growing. Youll never play with the big dogs if your scared of a little fat and what people think. When I diet this year Ill be around 215 ripped. This is because of my thought process and actualization of my training. most of all young man, you can talk all you want, but when its time to come through, theres alot of skinny lean guys out there who talk alot. I dont talk so much, I prefer to let my physique do all the talking when I take my shirt off at the pool or blast huge weights at the gym. Quit talking and being scared and just DO IT.

Pirate Grim

Awards
Anger and guts

Finally, if you really want to be 225 for next season, you have to ask yourself do you have what it takes. Maybe were being to nice to you. You need to get mad and just do it kid. Dont be a sissy and make excuses, you have to have the guts.
I hope you get mad at this use your anger to fuel your workouts. Maybe they just dont make linebackers like they used to. Why are you afraid of gaining alittle fat, its not permanent, and if your afraid your girlfriend wont like it, then your game isant that good anyway. Time to up your game dude in and out of the field. I think you need someone to yell at you

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
You want to add good weight... You want to add muscle without slowing yourself down. Count your calories, be serious about your diet, Don't party much, train hard (I liked to do 5x5 with longer rests to allow for heavier weights), If you want to really become an explosive football player I suggest you do olympic lifts. These are the compound lifts that will improve your athletic performance. They suck and their hard, but if your serious it's what you gotta do. You shouldnt have a problem keeping the fat down, but it depends on what you really want. If you want to gain 25 lbs in that short period of time (even at your age) it's not all going to be 100% muscle.