Need to Impress the Ex..Can you help?

jey2283

Awards
I am looking to "impress" the ex. I have until July 07 to get as "pumped" as possible. I had a basic gym at by disposal. I have been able to put on around 7 lbs of muscle over the last 4 months with a random workout i picked up off mens fitness. I am looking to gain an additional 7-10 lbs. I have plenty of protein powder (which is the only supplement i am going to be able to use because i'm in a foreign country that doesn't have anything good when it comes to weight lifting).

I am not too sure how to "bulk up." I know calories are important, but does it matter where they come from? Ice cream calories the same as fish calories (if i already get enough protein). I'm assuming i need 150g of protein a day? I'm approx 147lbs, 5'7.5'', 27-29 waist. I've posted some pics of my build.

Can anyone please suggest a good workout for great gains that i can do say 5 days a week and spend no more then an hour a time?

Attachments

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I had that mentality once. I got hyooge and shredded, but in the end, the ex was still a bi_tch!

jey2283

Awards
this ex may want to get back with me. She is very hot now, so i need to even the playing field.

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
You can get any girl you want as long as you are decent looking and have lots of confidence.

As far as your questions go, All calories are not the same. Stick with clean whole foods for the most part. Every once in awhile you can through in cheat meal to kind shock you system. Don't go crazy on the cheat meal though. I prefer to eat clean all the time. Stick with at least 1 gram of protein per/lb of your body weight, and 2-3grams of carbs per/lb of you body weight.
Protein sources should come from Red meat, poultry, fish, beans, etc.
Carbs should come from whole grains, brown rice, sweet pototoes, pasta, green vegetables, etc.
Fats from nuts, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, almond butter, flax seed, etc.
Just make sure you are getting the right amount of grams for your macros and start with about 500calories over your maitenance and adjust from there. If you are not gaining any fat and adding muscle, keep adding more calories until you start getting fat gain. Then adjust accordingly.
Keep your cardio at a minimal well bulking. Change up your workout routine to spark new growth. I like to change up my routine every 4 weeks or so by body doesn't get used to the same things all the time.

jey2283

Awards
How is ceral as a source for carbs? I have a lot of bread and peanut butter so i guess i can stick to that on top of the protein powder (carribean living can be harsh). What is a good intake of calories? 2500? 3000?

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
Cereal can be part of your carb source. I would stick with healthier ones though with whole grains and less sugars. Kashi makes some decent ones. I like Ezekiel cereal. It is an awsome carb source, but not sure if you can find it where you are at.
As far as the calories, first you need to figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate), just google BMR. Then, you need to figure out how many calories you need daily by using the Harris Benedict Formula. I am guessing you are moderately accurate, so I believe you multiply your BMR by 1.375. That will give you a baseline calculation of how many kcals you need daily for maintenance. Then just add the 500 calories more and adjust accordingly how your body responds.
Here is a link I found that has all the calculator, etc. You just need to download it.
http://geocities.com/jkdriver626/bmrcalculator.xls

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
this ex may want to get back with me. She is very hot now, so i need to even the playing field.
lol- Bulk up for other bit*hes,..

To get an ex back, you need to come off like you don't WANT her back! ...becasue of all the OTHER girls that KNOW your the shiznit :p

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I think it's great that you want to change you physique and all, but why did you guys break up in the first place? Changing the way you look won't fix those things...

electricblood

Awards
Simple, "Accidently" drop your wallet loaded with cash on the floor spilling contents where are they visible. Buy a car that you cant afford and dont want but looks pretty and shiny, that'll get her back.

jey2283

Awards
well the medical school should help financially. LoL i changed my mind. I want to bulk up for the club *hores that like big guns :p

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
Get a girl with your brains, personality, and charisma....screw a chica who wants you for your looks..what? you wanna be a trophy byotch?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
trophy girls aren't all thier cracked up to be. believe me. after I made some bad mistakes in the past, I'll take an average looking girl with a great personality and intelligence any day of the week.

mad078

Awards
My advice, it didn't work the first time, it's not going to work the second time.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
trophy girls aren't all thier cracked up to be. believe me. after I made some bad mistakes in the past, I'll take an average looking girl with a great personality and intelligence any day of the week.

I agree 100%. The average looking girl will be way more fun. Now there are trophy looking girls out there that have great personalities and are smart, but unfortunatly the odds are the same as winning the lottery.

jey2283

Awards
How did we progressivly get off topic :-D. (It would work 2nd time around--it was i who left her-). Either way :-D all i do know is study (10 hours a day minimum) and left. I'm trying to maximize results, but am unsure how to do it. Does anyone have any good workout routines that don't take up that much time? What are your thoughts on the hypertrophy workouts? (Something about 1 rep, 2 sec break, 20 times, high weight).

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Look up Time under Tension or TUT. You say you research a lot but you didn't take the time to research your own topic of this thread? The search button is your friend.

The reason this went off topic is because, for one, just abotu every thread will get off topic to a point, and two why would you be so sure things will workout the 2nd time around...You need to get the mental thing straight before the physical even needs to come into play. If all she is looking for is a good body then why even bother? Are you both that shallow?

Oh and one more thing. Gaining weight is more about your diet than anything else.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Simple, "Accidently" drop your wallet loaded with cash on the floor spilling contents where are they visible. Buy a car that you cant afford and dont want but looks pretty and shiny, that'll get her back.
thats where i've been going wrong all this time...:think:

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lol- Why settle!?
Screen until you find a trophy girl that has a great personality, smart, loyal, and not always influenced by social dynamics (ie: thinks for herself)

It's not always one way or the other....

Congrats on making the choice on getting serious about the lifestyle for reason OTHER then an ex gf.:head:
Thats how you stay on top with your inner,.. when it's not about other people (minus clubho's naturally :p)

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree 100%. The average looking girl will be way more fun. Now there are trophy looking girls out there that have great personalities and are smart, but unfortunatly the odds are the same as winning the lottery.[/QUOTE]

This makes NO sense... A girl is a girl. A smart one is a smart one.
Looks they were born with, why should that qualify them to YOU?
Beauty is a sh*t test for those who are stricken by it. Simply ignoring it, and looking for personal qualities will define you, giving you higher value, this more attractive, thus,...
.... Lottery would imply you have no influence over the situation

(sorry- just one of those mornings for me )

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
I agree 100%. The average looking girl will be way more fun. Now there are trophy looking girls out there that have great personalities and are smart, but unfortunatly the odds are the same as winning the lottery.[/QUOTE]

This makes NO sense... A girl is a girl. A smart one is a smart one.
Looks they were born with, why should that qualify them to YOU?
Beauty is a sh*t test for those who are stricken by it. Simply ignoring it, and looking for personal qualities will define you, giving you higher value, this more attractive, thus,...
.... Lottery would imply you have no influence over the situation

(sorry- just one of those mornings for me )

I made this statement according to where I live. Here the ratio of guys to girls is about 10 to 1 so when a good looking nice girl comes here she realizes she can get whoever she wants here and basically turns into a $$$ whore. I used to stay near toronto and there is great women there.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I made this statement according to where I live. Here the ratio of guys to girls is about 10 to 1 so when a good looking nice girl comes here she realizes she can get whoever she wants here and basically turns into a $$$ whore. I used to stay near toronto and there is great women there.
That's even better!! :D Seriously.
What your tring to do ANYWAYS is keep your power, Show her that your not like every other guy. You see,.. she KNOWS she can get guys to do what she wants. And she doesn't have respect for those guys. DONT but her anything, make her qualify herself to you. Your a confident guy that doesn't NEED to BUY or BEG for her attention.
IT;s al the same thing,.. just different sh*t tests... she has to find out fast wether your just another looser that she can controll, or if your the MAN she wants..
Buying gifts, kissing her ass, NOT doing things on YOUR terms, letting her looks qualify her.....
all sh*t tests we have all failed many times I'm sure...

Be the MAN,.. YOU BE THE PRIZE, and she will go to the end of the earth for your approval. It's human nature, it's also a very attractive quality. Just don't be the chump she can use.

Jblake

Awards
This article should help you. The workout I've attached at the bottom is from the article. It'll show you how add muscle at the right areas (traps, shoulders, upper chest) to create the illusion of sheer size. Give it a read. It's one of my favorite programs.

Testosterone Nation - 20 Pounds of "Hollywood" Muscle!

Superhero Program
by Christian Thibaudeau

WEEKS 1-4

Monday (Shoulders conjugate/Traps heavy)

A. Seated dumbbell press
4 x 6-8 reps

B1. Upright rowing
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Seated incline lateral raise
3 x 10-12 reps

C. Arnold press
3 x 8-10 reps

D. Lateral raise
1 x 100 reps (take pauses if needed)

E. Barbell power shrugs
5 x 5 reps

Tuesday (Quads/Hams/Biceps/Triceps)

A1. Back squat
1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 8, 1 x 20

A2. Romanian deadlift
1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 15

B1. Barbell curl
3 x 6-8 reps

B2. Close-grip decline press
3 x 6-8 reps

C1. Preacher curl
3 x 10-12 reps

C2. Decline dumbbell triceps extension
3 x 10-12 reps

D1. Hammer curl
3 x 12-15 reps

D2. Cable triceps extension
3 x 12-15 reps

Thursday (Traps conjugate/Shoulders heavy)

A. Barbell shrugs
4 x 6-8 reps

B1. Haney shrugs (behind the back shrugs in the Smith machine)
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Upright rowing
3 x 10-12 reps

C. Standing calf machine shrugs
3 x 8-10 reps

D. Rear delt machine
1 x 100 reps

E. Military press
5 x 5

Saturday (Chest/Back)

A1. Incline bench press
3 x 6-8 reps

A2. Bent over barbell rowing
3 x 6-8 reps

B1. Flat dumbbell bench press
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Lat pulldown
3 x 10-12 reps

C1. Decline bench press
3 x 12-15 reps

C2. Seated rowing
3 x 12-15 reps

* NOTE: Abdominal work is performed after every workout. Alternate between these two:

ABS WORKOUT 1

A1. Kneeling cable crunch
3 x 12-15 reps

A2. Machine crunch (use a 505 tempo)
3 x 6-8 reps

A3. Swiss ball crunch
3 x max

ABS WORKOUT 2

A1. Eagle sit-up
3 x max

A2. Roman chair Russian twist
3 x 12-15 reps

A3. High pulley woodchop
3 x 12-15 reps per side

WEEKS 5-8

Monday (Upper chest conjugate/Biceps heavy)

A. Incline bench press
4 x 6-8 reps

B1. Low-incline dumbbell press (stop short of lockout)
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Incline cable flies
3 x 10-12 reps

C. Low-pulley crossover
3 x 8-10 reps

D. Bench press
1 x 100 reps (take pauses if needed)

E. Barbell curl
5 x 5 reps

Tuesday (Quads/Hams)

A1. Back squat
1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 8, 1 x 20

A2. Romanian deadlift
1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 15

B1. Leg press
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Gironda leg curl (leg curl with an elevated torso, as in a push-up position)
3 x 10-12 reps

C. Leg curl
1 x 100 reps

Thursday (Biceps conjugate/Upper chest heavy)

A. Barbell curl
4 x 6-8 reps

B1. Reverse preacher curl
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Hammer curl
3 x 10-12 reps

C. Machine curl 2/1 technique (lift with 2 arms, lower in 5 seconds with 1 arm)
3 x 5-6 reps per side

D. Preacher curl
1 x 100 reps

E. High incline dumbbell press
5 x 5

Saturday (Back/Triceps)

A1. Barbell rowing
3 x 6-8 reps

A2. Fat-man pull-ups
3 x max reps

B1. Weighted chins
3 x 6-8 reps

B2. Lat pulldown
3 x 10-12 reps

C1. Decline EZ-bar triceps extension
5 x 6-8 reps

C2. Rope triceps extension
5 x 12-15 reps

* NOTE: Abs work is still performed after every workout in an alternate fashion.

WEEKS 9-12

Monday (quadriceps/hamstrings)

A. Back squat
1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 8, 1 x 10

B1. Leg press
3 x 10-12 reps

B2. Leg extension
3 x 10-12 reps

C. Romanian deadlift

Tuesday (Shoulders/Back)

A1. Upright rowing

A2. Seated incline dumbbell lateral raise
4 x 12-15 reps

B. Cable lateral raise (one arm at a time)
3 x 15-20 reps per arm

C1. Barbell rowing

C2. Lat pulldown

E. Haney shrugs
3 x 12-15 reps

Thursday (Biceps/Triceps)

A1. Preacher curl
4 x 8-10 reps

A2. Alternate dumbbell curl
4 x 10-12 reps per arm

A3. Reverse barbell curl
4 x 12-15 reps

B1. Close-grip bench press
4 x 8-10 reps

B2. Lying barbell triceps extension
4 x 10-12 reps

B3. Rope triceps extension
4 x 12-15 reps

Saturday (Chest/Shoulders)

A1. Decline dumbbell press
3 x 8-10 reps

A2. Dips
3 x max reps

A3. Cable crossover
3 x 12-15 reps

B1. Seated dumbbell press
4 x 8-10 reps

B2. Standing lateral raise
4 x 10-12 reps

B3. Front dumbbell raise
4 x 12-15 reps

* NOTE: Abs should be worked after every workout (same as two other phases) plus additional resistance free abs work everyday.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Thats overtraining like mad...I know I overtrain, but damn!

getreal

Awards
147 lbs? have you been ill? forget about weights, walk in to kfc and let them introduce you to food.

jey2283

Awards
147 lbs? have you been ill? forget about weights, walk in to kfc and let them introduce you to food.
LOL well as of yesterday i'm 150! Its starting to come on. I'm eating tons of granola (can you belive one bag has over 1200 calories. takes me 2 days to kill it). Well...maybe you can belive it.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
5x5/3x3 routine + all food in sight + sleep 8+hrs. Learning to give messages won't hurt your chances either.

getreal

Awards
LOL well as of yesterday i'm 150! Its starting to come on. I'm eating tons of granola (can you belive one bag has over 1200 calories. takes me 2 days to kill it). Well...maybe you can belive it.
I can, eating is more difficult than training, you got to stretch that stomach with loads of food, it'll work, it did for me.

Zguy52

Awards
Well I disagree, there are hot nice girls out there and how a guys looks does make a difference. I'm down from 275 to 250 from January 1 and added 4lbs LBM. I dress better and much more confidence. A girl I was interested in and hang around had not seen me for 2 months. We never dated but she was on the fence has now totally changed her atitude toward me so yes it can happen.

Fastest way to build muscle

Hypertrophy-Specific Nutrition™

HST great cause it's very simple, fast and strucutred.

Track Calories

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

It's free so use it! You don't know what your daily calories are unless you keep track.

Besides anabolic minds I also read

Testosterone Nation

For Nutrition

Dr. John Berardi, Ph.D.

Bodyrecomposition - Lyle McDonald

If you get anything from the T-nation/Berardi is nutrient timing to prevent muslceloss. Casien/whey protein blend specfically before bed, post workout 2:1 carb/protien with BCAA's (preferably maltdextrin/Whey).

Good luck, do what makes you happy.

getreal

Awards
Well I disagree, there are hot nice girls out there and how a guys looks does make a difference. I'm down from 275 to 250 from January 1 and added 4lbs LBM. I dress better and much more confidence. A girl I was interested in and hang around had not seen me for 2 months. We never dated but she was on the fence has now totally changed her atitude toward me so yes it can happen.

Fastest way to build muscle

Hypertrophy-Specific Nutrition™

HST great cause it's very simple, fast and strucutred.

Track Calories

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

It's free so use it! You don't know what your daily calories are unless you keep track.

Besides anabolic minds I also read

Testosterone Nation

For Nutrition

Dr. John Berardi, Ph.D.

Bodyrecomposition - Lyle McDonald

If you get anything from the T-nation/Berardi is nutrient timing to prevent muslceloss. Casien/whey protein blend specfically before bed, post workout 2:1 carb/protien with BCAA's (preferably maltdextrin/Whey).

Good luck, do what makes you happy.
fitday's crap, doesn't calculate the foods i eat, wheres the sirloin steak?

Son of Samura

Awards
You might want to check out a site called skinnyguy.net
He has a program specifically designed for hardgainers. I tried his program a couple of years ago and put on 23lbs of lean muscle, I fell off the wagon for a while but I just started again a month ago and I've already put on 10lbs while dropping my BMI by %10. The program list what kind of foods to eat and has a workbook for a workout routine. Check it out, his program is not for everybody, but it worked for me.

WillB123

WillB123

Awards
"need to impress the ex"....hahaha fvckin hilarious - seriously though man, have fun - some good advice in this thread

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Amen to that. Slay a few models but wait for when their meds are outa whack. Can make lonely appealing. I will take an average looking woman with a pure heart anytime.

You show me a hot chick, and I can show you a guy tired of putting up with theit stuff.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
As everyone else said, just bump your calories up some; that'll help no matter what routine you are using. Just in case, you could also stuff some socks in the front of your underwear and wear really tight pants. Either way good luck, although I dunno how much help this will be unless you guys broke up because you didn't have enough LBM

getreal

Awards
You might want to check out a site called skinnyguy.net
He has a program specifically designed for hardgainers. I tried his program a couple of years ago and put on 23lbs of lean muscle, I fell off the wagon for a while but I just started again a month ago and I've already put on 10lbs while dropping my BMI by %10. The program list what kind of foods to eat and has a workbook for a workout routine. Check it out, his program is not for everybody, but it worked for me.
That guy's just another scammer, congrats for you though. He say's he was a hardgainer but he still had the ability to build muscle, he was just training wrong, he even states that he was training 6 days a week and he was copying all the pros out of the bb magazines, he deserved to fail for being stupid. Anyway if you look at his "before" pictures, you'll realize that his potential was always there, he was a meso-ectomorph, a true ectomorph hardgainer would not look like that in his before picture plus he is trying to sell you something, errrmm lets put 2+2 here.