help i need a routine

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
im 5'10 and 160 roughly and cant seem to bulk up no matter what routine i have but my maindraw back is that i work out alone so i can not fully push my self does anyone have a good routine for bulking. eating is not an issue my metabolism is pretty good so i can basically eat anything i get my hands on and then some. i would just like to get a 4-5 day training program to help guide me and get a great workout with or without a partner/:hot:

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
what have you been doing or tried before?

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I've lifted alone for years now. Not too many complaints. Well i feel like going crazy i grab someone to help out.

Good quesiton. what have you tried before and for how long. At your height and weight you need a good 3 months of a steady diet and good training. Dieting is MUCH harder than lifting.

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
tell what could i do different

this is pretty much my routine workout its kind of beginner but its all i got and it targets a good bit of the muscle groups. weight all depends on how im feeling that day because i work 6 days a week at a feed store lifting bags constantly plus im a full time college student w a gf (stressful life lol) any help would be good thanks also about every two weeks or so i switch my bicep and tricep workout.

mon/thurs chest/Bicep
bench,incline, decline
1x8 warmup
3x8 reps

flys 3x8
cables 3x8
pushups 2x25

preacher + regular curls
1x8 warmup
3x8 reps

alternate curls 3x10
hammer curls 3x10
crazy 8's x2
cable curls 3x8

Tues
calf raises 3x10
leg press 1x8 warmup
3x8 reps
leg curls 3x8
reverse leg curls 3x8
squats 3x8
shoulder exercises

wed
tris and back
dips 1x15 warm up
2x15 light weight added
1x15 moderate weight added
cable pushdowns 3x8
nose breakers 3x8
(front/back) lat pulldowns 3x8
(2)(different bars )seated rows 3x8
lower back machine 3x8
abs burnout
:good:

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
i have a pretty good diet but my metabolism is good enough to where i dont really have to watch wat i eat but im the type that feels like what i eat after a mcdonalds chees burger i feel like a fat ass lol and i dont have to much fat on me lol i eat a pretty good bit of protein and basically anything within reason i can get my hands on with no snacks or candy. im not really into it

mbunnell

mbunnell

Awards
Im the same way. Im your same heigth but i have been able to get up to 182. Something that has helped me is concentrating on one major muscle per day. Here is my exact workout.

Mon. chest
Tue. Back and abs
Wed. shoulders and traps
Thur. arms
Fri. abs again and lite chest
Sat. Legs
Sun. rest

Eat 6-7 meals a day with plenty of protein and carbs. Also throw in some fish oils to your diet to get your efa's. Some protein prior to sleeping at night is also good. Try muscle milk for that.Good Luck.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I guess age matters a bit too. Sometimes your body just has to mature. I'm 5'8" and I was 174 on the button from about 17 to 24. Then I jumped to 195 in my mid 20's. Now I'm 32 and 215. I used to work out for 2-3 hours at a time. Now Its only about an hour and I focus on one muscle group with a few cross over excercises (excercises that work a new muscle and the one I'm training that day). To grow you need to eat and you need to vary your reps, weights, excercises, and the angles you hit the muscles.

I get a feeling your "pretty good" diet is where the problem is. Thats the best place to start to changing. What's your diet like?

mbunnell

mbunnell

Awards
I guess age matters a bit too. Sometimes your body just has to mature. I'm 5'8" and I was 174 on the button from about 17 to 24. Then I jumped to 195 in my mid 20's. Now I'm 32 and 215. I used to work out for 2-3 hours at a time. Now Its only about an hour and I focus on one muscle group with a few cross over excercises (excercises that work a new muscle and the one I'm training that day). To grow you need to eat and you need to vary your reps, weights, excercises, and the angles you hit the muscles.

I get a feeling your "pretty good" diet is where the problem is. Thats the best place to start to changing. What's your diet like?
I agree

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
basically my diet is anything i can eat with the most protein least fat and sodium. and its hard to eat 6-7 times a day because of where i work i get 1 lunch break for an hour and i try to eat and the beginning with a full meal and maybe a protein bar at the end but also i am in school fulltime and its just really hard working in alot of meal throughout the day so i just eat when i can

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is your carb intake? If you have a physically demanding job, then you are burning a good amount of carbs and glycogen.

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
well its not real physical i move glass show doors to be cut by a cnc and run a cnc and my job place does not allow me to have food or drink on the floor so basically if i work 8 hours i have 1 hour out o f the day to get food/water in me / protein shakes also its a real ball buster its almost like my lunch breaks are a marathon lol what could be a good breakfast lunch.....(post work/preworkout) meal....post workout/dinner before bed meal.....

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
can't get any cheaper then eggs, ~$1/doz
hardboil em and take em to work/school if you have to :)

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
ya right now im living off tuna, eggs, myoplex 42 g of protein drinks, bananas, south beach diet meals, cottage cheese and rice cakes and any chicken i can find. im also taking multivitamin, b-12 vitamin, amino acids

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
try the workout suggested above or a change to your current one.
I switched to chest/tris on monday, back/bi's on weds, legs/shoulders on fri

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
the only problem with chest and tris is that after you wear out your chest your tris have also taking a beating and by the end of your chest workout your tris are too pump to get the extensions you need so it makes it harder to gain any size or real workout specifically for your tri. i read an article about this awhile back and it makes perfect sense.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
there's a zillion articles, the only way you'll know is to try it for yourself :)

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
ya when i switched my routine to chest and bi's and hit tries later on in the week i was able to do more weight, reps, and better pumps from my tris and i actually saw a better formed and cut tri than i had before just hit it up and give it a try

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
do your arms feel overtrained doing bi's twice a week and then back another day?

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
nah i never do my bi's twice a week and if i do then say if i worked them hard and chest light on monday then thursday i would just work chest hard and bi light kinda like that but im the type of person that never feels over trained i spend about an hour a half a day working out with breaks only for water or waiting on reps and i still sometimes feel undertrained

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
how you tried a pyramid order? 12,10,8 or 10,8,6 perhaps?

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
nah i kinda touched base on it but only with bench i never felt accomplished its weird to describe ....do you have any clue on why my shoulders hurt so bad when i do my chest work outs its almost like i need to "pop" them or something

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
perhaps some light shoulder warmup exercises first, then some scretching and light chest exercises to warm em up good? My coworker was having shoulder pain doing chest exercises too, I told him to try the cable crossover machine and he said that helped him out a lot.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
people might go against me but in that 1 hr lunch break you need to carb up and eat as much as you can. Your meal before work as well. Everyone says frequent small meals are best but if you cant accomplish that imo, with your metabolism, you need to load up on food for the times you will be unable to eat. Having some slow digesting protiens before bed is something that will help too.

How long have you been training that routine? Age? Routine looks like its not the problem, i think you just need to eat more calories based on what ive read here.

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
well im 21 and i dont think its meant for me to bulk up everyone i talk to at the gym just tells me to be patient and when i hit about 24 and my metabolism slows then i can fill out just right now be concerned with health and strength and in time size will come.

nestle1

nestle1

Awards
nah i kinda touched base on it but only with bench i never felt accomplished its weird to describe ....do you have any clue on why my shoulders hurt so bad when i do my chest work outs its almost like i need to "pop" them or something
Maybe your not doing them correctly . Make sure that you keep your elbow tuck in, so that you won't stress your shoulder to much. I had that problem before.

satyricon

Awards
make yourself a gainer drink with milk as a base,make enough for all day. you can go take drinks from it at your breaks and at lunch eat a good meal and have some of the drink.when not at work eat all you can. and work out less often like 2-3 days only major exercises squats deadlifts clean/presses etc.read Super Squats by Randall Strossen at ironmind

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
you need a real diet. gainer drinks and protein bars wont much at all. Spend some counting calories. you only need a handfull of foods to make a great diet. I eat 3 times a day work. It takes about 5 minutes a peice. i eat at 5...8....11....2....6....9. Works great