Lean Bulking Diet Critique

VHD44

VHD44

Awards
Hey everyone, This is my first post here, and i have almost been here a year now..anyhow, i have done a TON of reading here to help educate myself and to reach my goals, and now i have come to a point where i need some guidence to help me out with some specifics.
Well to start things off.. i play football for a junior college, and i plan on transfering to a 4 year university after my 2007 season. I am 5'11 218 pounds with about 18 % BF right now and i am 19 years old.. I have just finished up my first week of lifting with the team, and have also finished my first week on my new diet. I have already gained a pound on this new diet, but i can tell that i have started to develop more mid section fat, and i really really do not want that..haha.. I really wanted to lean out, so i tried to keep the fats on the low side. Here is how my diet is worked out:

meal 1:
1 cup cooked oatmeal
3 eggwhites
3/4 cup of Mountain High Fat Free yougurt
1 scoop ON Gold Whey Protein mixed with 12 oz of Skim milk

Meal 2:
Big 100 Bar
1 cup cooked rice

Meal 3:
1 cup of cheeries
1 can of greenbeans
6 oz. ground turkey burger 5g fat, on two slices of whole wheat bread

meal 4:
pre workout shake:
1.5 scoop of Whey protein
14 oz skim milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup of unsalted roasted almonds
1 banana

Workout for 2-1/2 hours
tues and thurs: agailities and upper body
wed and fri: lower body

Meal 5:
Post work out shake:
2 scoops of whey
14 oz skim milk
2 tablespoons of p.b.
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 banana

Meal 6:
1 sweet potateo
1 cup of brocolli
1 buffolo burger patty 12g fat, on 2slices of wheat bread
3/4 cup fat free yogurt

Meal 7:

4 slices of sodium free turkey breast
1 apple

Drinking at least 1-1/2 to 2 gal. of water each day

Now, I have tried to keep this as low on fats as possible with the higher protein and carbs, but i have still managed to put on more fat in one week..I would really like to gain 15-20 quality pounds within the next 18 weeks, is this possible? Besides the whey protein i also take creatine monohydrate. I was also thinking about purchacing some of the turkesterone to add to my diet to help give me more volume? I am pretty strong for a natural lifter, but i have a hard time putting on good mass, and i've read that this helps develope more mass ( i need to still look into this some more, as it is quite new to me). Is there any other sups that would be suitable for me (not anabolic steroids either). i thought this diet was alright for me, but i might be wrong, I have followed it to a tee, and i was hoping that someone could help me critique it to better suit my needs of lean bulking. Also should i add in cardio during the week with the agailites? Again i appreciate everyones help.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Food selection overall looks good to me.

I tend to look at nutrition from a macro viewpoint. So you have about 18 weeks and want to lean bulk? I think putting 15-20 lbs lean mass in that timeframe is a bit unrealistic. But go ahead and set a high goal. It can't hurt.

For bulking, I would set calories at least 500 over your maintenance intake every day. Aim for 1.5g/lb in protein, making sure not to get less than 1g/lb. I think keeping keeping fat intake low to moderate and carbs/protein high is a good idea as you have planned. Insulin is a good anabolic hormone and pro/carbs both help keep it elevated. Some monounsaturated fat is good to have to keep your natural test levels high. More however, is not necessarily better.

If you want to lean out prior to bulking, I strongly suggest you do it now. You are likely to see better results if you start at a lower bodyfat percentage (18 is a bit high). I'd consider cutting down to at least 15%. Estrogen levels tend to be higher when you go upwards in bodyfat levels.

To keep the actual bulk lean, how about trying to bulk for 2-3 weeks then take a week to diet off whatever fat you gained? At least that way you know you will be left with new muscle tissue to work with and can keep the bodyfat where you want it.

VHD44

VHD44

Awards
cool, thanks for the advice, I will try and break down the diet into macros later.. I also think i will try to lean out a little more here to drop the body fat then bulk, like you stated. Actually i have until Aug. 15 to try and gain 15-20 pounds of quality gains.. The 18% bf was just an estimated guess.. right at the end of football i had it taken by the school physician(sp?) and it was at 15%.. so i could be a little high.. but i know i put on a little from the end of last season. Either way i need to drop some..haha

What do you think about adding the turkesterone to the diet? I was thinking of taking turkesterone powder with the new thermolife e-bol stacked together.. any input on this?

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Is that the Big 100 Bar made by met-rx? You may want to find a bar without the high fructose corn syrup etc, perhaps a sustain bar or similiar, hmm i'm hungry now

VHD44

VHD44

Awards
yep, the met-rx bar..the selection of bars at my local store is not all that great.. but i will look for a bar without high fructose corn syrup..I appreciate the advice and help. Thanks.