Inmates Whats There Secret?

J

jon1169

Awards
SO i have been watchin lockup on tv and they are let out of there cell for 1 hr a day and eat not nearly enogh food through out the day.. they take no suplements ..they do get enough sleep lol thats it though..they make gains it seams way faster than i ever could..so all this extra stuff i do isnt really nessasary?

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Havent you watched blood in blood out or prison break or oz?
There juicing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Some definitely juice. I'm sure in most cases they get plenty of food. They could do all the juice they want, and if they don't eat they won't grow, period. That, and most of them are crazy mother****ers which helps in the weight room.

D

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
all they anger is mean they done got already a lot testosterone flowin in they veins an you know how it be doin. when they get more testosterones it be make them even more buffer and tuffer naw mean homey?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
all they anger is mean they done got already a lot testosterone flowin in they veins an you know how it be doin. when they get more testosterones it be make them even more buffer and tuffer naw mean homey?
NO.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Plenty of free food.
Free gym.
Plenty of motivation to get big so they can protect themselves.
Nothing but time.

Most inmates aren't locked in their cells for a good part of the day. In fact, even extremely violent felons who show good behavior inside will often be allowed to mingle with the general inmate population.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Some definitely juice. I'm sure in most cases they get plenty of food. They could do all the juice they want, and if they don't eat they won't grow, period. That, and most of them are crazy mother****ers which helps in the weight room.
I would think that if they are able to get some gear, I hardly think extra food would be a problem.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly what YR said is the reason. While the rest of us have to maintain a lifestyle outside of the gym and sleep these guys don't. And when survival comes into the picture and not just asthetics; that helps too.

D

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
SO i have been watchin lockup on tv and they are let out of there cell for 1 hr a day and eat not nearly enogh food through out the day.. they take no suplements ..they do get enough sleep lol thats it though..they make gains it seams way faster than i ever could..so all this extra stuff i do isnt really nessasary?
They get food from the commissary. Their families put money into accounts they can spend on additional food.

Plenty of free food.
They eat lots of calories. Very few of them get the amount of protein we do.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of some pretty off the wall training styles going on in some prisons too. But the guys seem to get results. Some of them claim to train the same bodyparts as many as 7days a wk!!! I've often wondered how they do it too. Nobody that I've known personaly has admitted to being able to get anabolic steroids in prison, or at least not admitted to using while in there. But who knows? I've known guys who to me seemed to have the most ghetto knowledge of training and eating ever. Eating raw eggs, allegedly training high volume high frequency AND high intensity. Some how making similar or better gains in a short period than I can with the availability of all the food, supps, rest, cutting edge training info, and best drugs I could ask for. What gives?
Can the survival instinct really that powerful? So much that it defies every other law of muscle building in the book?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of some pretty off the wall training styles going on in some prisons too. But the guys seem to get results. Some of them claim to train the same bodyparts as many as 7days a wk!!! I've often wondered how they do it too. Nobody that I've known personaly has admitted to being able to get anabolic steroids in prison, or at least not admitted to using while in there. But who knows? I've known guys who to me seemed to have the most ghetto knowledge of training and eating ever. Eating raw eggs, allegedly training high volume high frequency AND high intensity. Some how making similar or better gains in a short period than I can with the availability of all the food, supps, rest, cutting edge training info, and best drugs I could ask for. What gives?
Can the survival instinct really that powerful? So much that it defies every other law of muscle building in the book?
Good post. I'm thinking we might be over-rating inmates. I mean some are pretty impressive, but for the most part I think they're just bulky with decent strength. As far as the survival instinct, I don't think it is that powerful as far as bodybuilding/powerlifting goes. I think its much more important to be mentally strong to survive. If someone wants to kill you I don't think they care much if you're jacked, they'll just send a couple extra goons to shank you.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
My take is that they don't get much physical activity outside of the yard...so their bodies adapt to the low-energy consumption lifestyle...throw in weights and juice...and BAM

M

milo23

Awards
Prison Yard Workout

I spent 44 months in California prisons. There we have no access to weights or any sort of training facilities. There are no steroids in California Prisons either, because the demand and cash is greater for narcotics.

I trained with bodyweight only for over 3 years. When I got out I squatted 450 pounds cold and benched 335 for a triple. I can do pullups with 180 pounds added. I definitely have the genetics for strength, but what gets guys results in there is consistency and desire.

If you want size and strength with all your heart your body will change. Change in the body begins in the mind. For guys in prison, the desire to survive is the drive behind their training.

If you are curious about how we trained, I recently made a DVD and a manual/e-book of our prison training methods.

If you are curious to see what kind of results I got from 3+ years of bodyweight training check out my MySpace page:

myspace.com/daemonelement

Last edited by a moderator:
A

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
I was in three of New Jerseys prisons. You eat very good and can buy off the commissary canned salmon, mackeral, tuna and they even use to have protien drinks. No more though. We get access to the yard twice a day for about 4 hours each. We lift eat and sleep and do our little job assigned to us. If you work in the kitchen you eat even better. I seen inmates smuggle fina pellets in thru there visits. Guards will bring in anything you want for a price. Also you gotta remember alot of inmates been doing time off and on since they were young teens. There joints and ligaments been stressed since a young age. They can move alot of weight.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback from the former inmates, anymore former inmates care to chime in, this is pretty interesting to me.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
could also be due to their structured life where everything is scheduled the same time of day...the body just works more effieciently this way i think.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Plenty of free food.
Free gym.
Plenty of motivation to get big so they can protect themselves.
Nothing but time.

Most inmates aren't locked in their cells for a good part of the day. In fact, even extremely violent felons who show good behavior inside will often be allowed to mingle with the general inmate population.
That and they don't have 4 bosses breathing down their neck, bills to pay, families to deal with, and insane traffic to deal with.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That and they don't have 4 bosses breathing down their neck, bills to pay, families to deal with, and insane traffic to deal with.
i could add to this statement but i wont for fear of a cortisol spike just thinking about it. Cortisol nightmare

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Well, I have to imagine that being in prison is pretty stressful....so we can probably throw cortisol aside as an issue.

J

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Top thread.....

I read a book about a well known inmate who said that this particular jail he was in do not let their inmates get as big as they did when he was there. Im no rocket scientist, but if I were to run a jail, I wouldnt let inmates touch any weights....thats just asking for trouble. They could always just give them cardio epuipment for excercise.

I think that the whole "primal" trying to survive thing has a lot to do with how big they get. You dont train as hard as you do when youve got "Big Bruce" giving you death stares from accross the gym area. Ive been in a situation where I felt my life was threatened, and I have never made gains like that in my life. People thought I was on gear.

O

Oswizle

Awards
when i was locked up in Los Angeles County Jail they dont let u workout for shiet....we would get smashed on by the guards if we were even doing push ups....we used to roll up our lil 2 inch mattress and tie it up with our bed sheets then curl it..other then that as far as Southern Cali goes...good luck trying to workout in County..dont know about upstate though..i heard they took all the weights out..i could be wrong though

J

jon1169

Awards
WOW!! didnt expect all that lol i guess there isnt just one answer on how they get that big, but it was all very interesting!!!

M

milo23

Awards
WOW!! didnt expect all that lol i guess there isnt just one answer on how they get that big, but it was all very interesting!!!
There have been studies on inmates, behavior and possible physiological reasons for certain trends in adverse behavior. These studies showed that a large percentage of incarcerated persons showed high levels of free testosterone in blood tests. It seems that people who are prone to risky behavior tend to have higher levels of testosterone and subsequently higher levels of estrogen due to aromatization. Estrogen has a high affinity in the nervous system and can influence behavior.

Unfortunately these people are getting scooped up by the cops and not by Olympic coaches. I believe if greater importance was put on physical education from the moment a child enters school, this might lead to a more balanced individual.

Exercise is vital in human development. Movement aids in the development of our sense organs. Studies are showing that children's sight and hearing is worsening. This is theorized to occur from a lack of physical movement during adolescence, attributed to video games, TV and computers.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
There have been studies on inmates, behavior and possible physiological reasons for certain trends in adverse behavior. These studies showed that a large percentage of incarcerated persons showed high levels of free testosterone in blood tests. It seems that people who are prone to risky behavior tend to have higher levels of testosterone and subsequently higher levels of estrogen due to aromatization. Estrogen has a high affinity in the nervous system and can influence behavior.

Unfortunately these people are getting scooped up by the cops and not by Olympic coaches. I believe if greater importance was put on physical education from the moment a child enters school, this might lead to a more balanced individual.

Exercise is vital in human development. Movement aids in the development of our sense organs. Studies are showing that children's sight and hearing is worsening. This is theorized to occur from a lack of physical movement during adolescence, attributed to video games, TV and computers.
I agree about the direct realtion of the incarcerated ad test levels. This opens many physical doors interms of gaining weight in less than ideal circumstances.

Other things to consider lack of temptation of alcohol and drugs, consistency (the most important IMO), adequate rest, motivation.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Maybe it's a matter of perception and criminal specialities related to bodytype.

You see the Endomorphic and Mesomorphic guys on camera, those who get big easily, while the Ectomorphic prags are doing their laundry or are more cerebal and gravitate to less often convicted white collar crimes.

I'm half joking here.

Different state have different policies on weightlifting, Georgia, for one, it's not allowed. Most prisons serve too many carbs and not enough protein, but prisoners can supplement their diets from the commissary.

Even in states without weightrooms and the typically set crap diet, an Endo/Meso can get big with bodywork or improvised equipment.

M

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

damn that was hard to read :)

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You need to read it in the tone of a PCP addict.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
It is easier to get gear on the inside than it is on the outside. Inmates have limited access to how many diff. types of food they can eat. However they can eat very healthy while locked up. Allot of them look ripped due to they exercise all day

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering if a good portion of it has to do with simplicity. Do most of us overcomplicate weightlifting?

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering if a good portion of it has to do with simplicity. Do most of us overcomplicate weightlifting?
Not at all, look at all the supps wich can help us and Hypertrophy Specific Training.

It might also be due to criminals being big in the 1st place.
I used to work(legit job
) with an ex stand over man, who did time, and apparently when he was at his biggest wich was before jail, he could bend stop signs.

Also my mate was doing work at one of the worst jails in Australia recently and I asked him if heaps of the guys were big and he said no.

Last edited:
M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I absolutely agree. We like to discuss the little things because they're interesting. Supps can help and they are fun and some are good for long term health, but they don't amount to **** compared to food & sleep. Sure our training on average is better than an inmates, but they're still adding weight to the bar. Consistent food + consistent heavy lifting = growth.

Plus, they're probably not as concerned with a little fat gain as most of us are.

C

cmart315

Awards
I've always wondered about this before. Glad I finally got to read some answers to it. I do have to say that most of it probably does come from the attitude of "train like your life depends on it."

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with grear probably beeing easier to get inside than out. 3 prison gaurds work out at my gym.....now i dont know 100% but its somewhat obvious they are on somthing other than a multi-vitamin. I talk to 2 of the 3 on a regular basis and the lifestyle they live and that they have I dont think they could have on a gaurds salary. So makeing a quick buck from selling some gear to inmates isn't really outta this world. I also could be completely off here but im just throwing it out there.

Money talks............

A

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
I agree with grear probably beeing easier to get inside than out. 3 prison gaurds work out at my gym.....now i dont know 100% but its somewhat obvious they are on somthing other than a multi-vitamin. I talk to 2 of the 3 on a regular basis and the lifestyle they live and that they have I dont think they could have on a gaurds salary. So makeing a quick buck from selling some gear to inmates isn't really outta this world. I also could be completely off here but im just throwing it out there.

Money talks............

One thing the guards are paid very well. They make about $65,000 without overtime a year after about 5 years. Plus clothing allowance a grand a year and the best benefits. After 20 years you can retire with half your pay. They all put in much overtime. They bring home over a hundred grand a year with all the overtime. Regardless they go after the easy money anyway. The gang members and drug dealers have alot of money. They'll pay whatever it takes to get with they want. Cellular phones is very big inside. The salary I quoted is New York by the way.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
One thing the guards are paid very well. They make about $65,000 without overtime a year after about 5 years. Plus clothing allowance a grand a year and the best benefits. After 20 years you can retire with half your pay. They all put in much overtime. They bring home over a hundred grand a year with all the overtime. Regardless they go after the easy money anyway. The gang members and drug dealers have alot of money. They'll pay whatever it takes to get with they want. Cellular phones is very big inside. The salary I quoted is New York by the way.
Even in juvenile hall you can make good dough. My cousin cleared 100K working 55 hours a week and he's been there 3 years.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I used to live just a couple blocks from the max prison in Oakdale, MN and knew several of the guards. They all said there were only a very small handful of inmates that we're big, and they were big when they got there. None were very big from lifting.

They were big proponents of the inmates being allowed to workout also. They felt it definitely help them to relieve stress, rather then beating on each other.

I also had a buddy do four years in Wisconsin in the early 90's. I used to mail him protein powder. It was allowed as long as the packaging wasn't tampered with. Which I didn't! He had some freaky genetics for size too. Like somebody else mentioned about the cops getting them before the olympic coaches, that was very true. If this guy had had some better direction in life he probably could have been a pro athlete. Extremely strong and extremely fast. Is too bad, he's still a screw-up to this day.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well I know an Ex CO he def had his hand in the AAS ring and would get to anybody who needed it. ALso In Illinois you still have weights in the prisons, and in fact most of my high school friends when they see today think I did a 6-8 in Marion or Danville. But overall I think the inmates ability to get big is due to their restful lifestyle, and comissary, as I will be putting some money on my friends books in the coming weeks.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Ap was up, to funny my best friend is a gaurd at Marrion, he was telling me how corrupt things can be.

To add my little brother is finishing up his 6 year stint, he grew without gear but looks ripped. He lacked mostly form calories to grow. He was limited tohow much good protein you could actually get. No powders were allowed shere he is. But I also lift with some of the gaurds and they are the biggest beasts that I have seen. Gear hell ya they are

M

milo23

Awards
In California prisons, most guards are not much different than inmates in the sense that they want to be bigger to appear more intimidating. After hearing that I had been a world record holding weightlifter, many guards openly discussed their training and supplementation (Anabolic) cycles with me. Some guards did use heavily, however most just wanted to lose weight and be healthier. Their jobs are not conducive to health and vitality. In addition, it did not occur to these people that purely functional training would be much more valuable to them if something were to go down. Just like animals, humans equate size with strength and power. That is basically the motivation to train.

When I was doing time in Calipatria (Calipatria has the same design and rules as Pelican Bay prison) maximum security prison, I had a job as a janitor near the administration building.

My boss was really cool and we had mutual respect for each other. We talked often about training and diet. He knew that I had been a world record holding strength athlete and told many of his co-workers about this.

There was a guard in the prison that whose nickname was TJ, short for titanium jaw. He was a 260 pound plus bodybuilder with a jaw like Tom Platz. TJ carried a year round sunburn from heavy test usage as well.

Word got around to TJ that I had competed in arm wrestling. TJ asked my boss if he could arrange a meeting where he and I could arm wrestle secretly. TJ had a reputation for using a little too much force on inmates, so I was apprehensive about his motivations. After all physical contact between guard and inmate is strictly prohibited. If I won and he got upset, all he would have to do is press a button and the goon squad would beat the crap out of me.

I agreed to challenge him anyway. Looking back it was a stupid thing to do, but at the time it was way to crazy to pass up.

Within hours the whole institution knew about the deal. So much for keeping it quiet. Inmates of all races wanted me to tear his arm off, and a lot of guards had placed money on me as well. This created much drama in the prison it almost started a riot.

TJ and I clasped hands in a vacant classroom with my boss as a referee. We fought hard to get grip, because strength wise I think we were evenly matched. After going back and forth for what seemed like hours my biceps were screaming and seriously pumped. Finally TJ said that he did not feel comfortable with the way I was gripping him. My boss said to him, "You can't go out like that, the whole prison is betting on this." So TJ decided to pull against me at that point. I knew that my arms were burnt, but what I didn't know was that his were cramping. I smashed the back of his hand into the table.

He was really startled when I reached back to shake his hand afterwards. I told him I was open to a rematch because we were wrestling under "adverse conditions."

That didn't matter though because about 10 inmates and guards were outside the door and burst in when the heard the loud bang of his hand on the table. He lost serious face that day and shortly after transferred to another prison.

When analyzing my victory, I came to the realization that my strength endurance was much better than his because I had been training with bodyweight exercises for the last couple of years. Doing a variety pullups greatly enhanced my power and stength endurance.

A

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
In California prisons, most guards are not much different than inmates in the sense that they want to be bigger to appear more intimidating. After hearing that I had been a world record holding weightlifter, many guards openly discussed their training and supplementation (Anabolic) cycles with me. Some guards did use heavily, however most just wanted to lose weight and be healthier. Their jobs are not conducive to health and vitality. In addition, it did not occur to these people that purely functional training would be much more valuable to them if something were to go down. Just like animals, humans equate size with strength and power. That is basically the motivation to train.

When I was doing time in Calipatria (Calipatria has the same design and rules as Pelican Bay prison) maximum security prison, I had a job as a janitor near the administration building.

My boss was really cool and we had mutual respect for each other. We talked often about training and diet. He knew that I had been a world record holding strength athlete and told many of his co-workers about this.

There was a guard in the prison that whose nickname was TJ, short for titanium jaw. He was a 260 pound plus bodybuilder with a jaw like Tom Platz. TJ carried a year round sunburn from heavy test usage as well.

Word got around to TJ that I had competed in arm wrestling. TJ asked my boss if he could arrange a meeting where he and I could arm wrestle secretly. TJ had a reputation for using a little too much force on inmates, so I was apprehensive about his motivations. After all physical contact between guard and inmate is strictly prohibited. If I won and he got upset, all he would have to do is press a button and the goon squad would beat the crap out of me.

I agreed to challenge him anyway. Looking back it was a stupid thing to do, but at the time it was way to crazy to pass up.

Within hours the whole institution knew about the deal. So much for keeping it quiet. Inmates of all races wanted me to tear his arm off, and a lot of guards had placed money on me as well. This created much drama in the prison it almost started a riot.

TJ and I clasped hands in a vacant classroom with my boss as a referee. We fought hard to get grip, because strength wise I think we were evenly matched. After going back and forth for what seemed like hours my biceps were screaming and seriously pumped. Finally TJ said that he did not feel comfortable with the way I was gripping him. My boss said to him, "You can't go out like that, the whole prison is betting on this." So TJ decided to pull against me at that point. I knew that my arms were burnt, but what I didn't know was that his were cramping. I smashed the back of his hand into the table.

He was really startled when I reached back to shake his hand afterwards. I told him I was open to a rematch because we were wrestling under "adverse conditions."

That didn't matter though because about 10 inmates and guards were outside the door and burst in when the heard the loud bang of his hand on the table. He lost serious face that day and shortly after transferred to another prison.

When analyzing my victory, I came to the realization that my strength endurance was much better than his because I had been training with bodyweight exercises for the last couple of years. Doing a variety pullups greatly enhanced my power and stength endurance.

I love that story. I even read it twice.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
nice one, so how long did you spend in the hole after that.

LOL. I will say a friend of ours got out last year, and he was the biggest SOB mexican I have ever seen. He came to the gym with me once and started warming up on incline bench with around 250. This guy was a giant. He weighed 350 when he was on gear and was as sold as they come. I never talked to him about his time, but I imagine he was left alone in the clink.

M

milo23

Awards
nice one, so how long did you spend in the hole after that.

All together I spent 9 months in a cell that I did not leave other than to go to court or a shower once per week. In addition I spent 3 months in isolation.

Thank you God for being with me always.

T

Terryo

Awards
Some things should probably just be left unsaid

And if you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
lmfao, this is on another level