Awards
What does that mean? ecto?

And what other body types are there?

And how do you find out yours?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Might I suggest you type ectomorph into google...

foggia

foggia

Awards
Ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph are the three terms usually described a person's body type. Ectomorphs are generally tall, lanky, low body fat, smaller boned, and have a harder time building muscle, d/t higher metabolism. However, ectomorphs tend to have an easier time getting ripped and lean. Endomorphs are typically big boned, higher degree of muscle and bigger bones. Endonmorphs tend to have larger joints and carry a larger percentage of bodyfat. Typically the look of a lineman in football. Mesomorphs tend to be in between ectomorphs and mesomorphs with average size bones wide shoulders, easily gain muscle average to low bodyfat, ideal bodybuilders naturally. Ectomorphs would be natural basketball type physiques and endomorphs powerlifters. However, most people are not strictly one type of body type alone. Most people are a combination of the three such as an ecto-mesomorph who might have wide shoulders, lower bodyfat, high metabolism, but hold a decent amount of muscle. Actually most bodybuilders are a comination of ecto-meso or meso-endo. Most successful bodybuilders have smalller joints that give the illusion of even larger muscles because the muscles bulge off of the small joints like crazy. However, do not get discouraged if you are not a mesomorph. There have been successful bodybuilders within ALL of the three body types and combinations of bodytypes. You can change it to some extent, such as if you have narrow shoulders, you can create wider ones to increase shoulder width and hide a wider waste/hips. There are several sites that can help you determine what type you are and generally looking in the mirror, being honest with yourself, and taking measurements of wrists, ankles, elbows, etc will give you a better idea. Hope this is helpful, good luck:)

M

massarmor

Awards
So ecto means ectomorph! a ha!

thanks foggia! that was extremely helpful!

loner

loner

Awards
i have an ecotmorphic bone structure but my body mass is that of a mesomorph.When everything is just right (diet/excersize) i can be incredilby lean while still hold an appretiable ammount of muscle mass,it's decieving though because i may only weigh 140 but i look much bigger then that.

M

massarmor

Awards
that's pretty cool loner, so how did you figure out your exact body type?

if you meant me quigley, i'm 5'8"

loner

loner

Awards
that's pretty cool loner, so how did you figure out your exact body type?

if you meant me quigley, i'm 5'8"
i did some reading on the topic,ectomorphs are generall skinny and are hard gainers , mesomorphs are thick set and gain weight easily (bulk) mesomorphs are lean and muscular,gain solid weight pretty easily.i figure,since i have a small bone structure and generally very lean,but i tend to gain musclularity quickly but not fat. i must be an ecto-meso.my only problem is lack of appetite,or actually lack of consistant appetetite.i'll eat haphazardly and only when i am hungry,if i am not hungry i don't eat,i'll just drink a red bull or something.i know it's a bad habit.:woohoo:
if i REEEAAAAALLY wanted to and became super strict with my diet and training, i could look awesome.the only drawback is that i can't maintain that type of dedication for more then a few weeks.i did that few years back and got SUPER SHREDDED in a matter of weeks..then i slacked and fell back into my old habits of not eating as much or as cleanly.i lack the consistantcy but i seem to have pretty good genetics.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
my only problem is lack of appetite,or actually lack of consistant appetetite.i'll eat haphazardly and only when i am hungry,if i am not hungry i don't eat,i'll just drink a red bull or something.i know it's a bad habit.:woohoo:
if i REEEAAAAALLY wanted to and became super strict with my diet and training, i could look awesome.the only drawback is that i can't maintain that type of dedication for more then a few weeks.i did that few years back and got SUPER SHREDDED in a matter of weeks..then i slacked and fell back into my old habits of not eating as much or as cleanly.i lack the consistantcy but i seem to have pretty good genetics.
I'll might get some frowns for this, but I really think you should try eating not so clean for a while. When you have trouble eating, your biggest problem gaining by far will be lack of calories. No matter how clean you're eating, if you you don't have a caloric surplus, you won't be gaining. I'm not saying you should start hitting up the fast food joints and pizza delivery all the time. I mean not every carb has to be really low GI, eat some more good fats, etc. Focus on getting enough protein and enough overall calories. You're not gonna magically get fat unless you have too much of a surplus and start trying to gain much more than a pound a week consistantly. Even then, as long as you keep an eye on yourself, all you'll need is a short cut.

I'm saying this because that's what helped me the most. After a while your body will get more used to eating so much, but it may always be somewhat of a chore for you. It's so much easier for me this way. Remember, even if you totally overdo it, you won't just become fat overnight. You can simply cut back on cals a little or do a quick 2-3 week cut.