1st Time Post And Big Question?

AdamUK

Awards
Hi all

This is my 1st time in teh forum so sorry if it is in the wrong section, i am 21 years old 5ft11" and weight 154 Pounds,

My trouble is im bored of not being happy with myself, i need to put on weight and build some type of muscle, the only down parts are im a vegitarian and i also smoke, so i east junk most of the time to put on weight but it doesnt seem to work as my weight stays the same.

All thoughts have been going through my head e.g sterioids to try and build some type of body structure,

I really need your help and advice as i am bored of feeling puny and pathetic?

what diet is for me that will help me gain weight?

what can i do to build some type of muscle that will show?

I know i will need to build all over my body because there is nothing worse than having a hefty upper and girly legs! but my main priority is arms abs and pecs?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Adam

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
You said it yourself...your diet is ****. Also, stop smoking and don't bother with steroids. You need a bulking diet and a 3-4 workout/week strength based routine.

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, what Ziricote said.
Your diet can do tremendous things to your body whether you are cutting or bulking. I have seen this first hand along with many others. You get you diet straightened out and you will start seeing improvements fast depending on how bad your diet was before. Stay away from the steroids in your situation. It seems that you are farely new to the body building lifestyle.
Get your diet figured out for your needs(bulking) and stick to a workout routine 3-4 times per week for strength/size. I prefer heavy weight/low reps/high volume for building strength and size. That is what works best for me. Everyone's different though.

AdamUK

Awards
Hi guys

Thanks for the advice, do you know what type of diet i need to go on or any links to recipes, what i want is to look more thank a few twigs caught in the wind,

where is the best place to start? do i straight away switch to this diet?

If you dont have access to weights for a while does easy steps work just as good e.g press ups, chin ups and pull ups?

thanks again guys

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
You are going to need to stay at least 500 calories above your maintainence calorie needs each day to put on size. As far as foods go, since you are a vegetarian I am not much help there since I love Red Meat. Ha Ha
I am not sure if you are a full out vegetarian(no milk products, etc.) But find good sources of protein that suites your eating style like soy or tofu, etc. You can keep your carbs higher while bulking just make sure they are from good sources like fruits and vegetables, whole grains. Sweet Potatoes(Yams) and Slow-cooked Oatmeal are good carbs sources. Pasta's and brown rice are nice while bulking as well. Also through in some Nuts, Olive Oil, fish oil supplements(not sure if this works for you) some Natural Peanut butter for your healthy fat sources.
As for the lifting goes, you are going to have to move some weight to put on the size that you want(muscle) Doesn't do any good to put on size if it's all fat.
Wide chin-ups are good for widening your back. But I would recommend getting somewhere where you are able to lift weights whether it be free weights or machines. You are going to have to push weight to add weight.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
If God didn't want us eating animals why did he make them out of meat?

I do not know what your reasons are for being a veg but I do not personally feel it to be a healthy lifestyle. We are omnivores, we have canine teeth for a reason whether you believe they evolved over millions of years or were designed from the getgo. A healthy well balanced diet of lean meats, eggs, dairy, whole grains, fruits and tons of green veggies along with a good multi vitamin, vit E, C and some healthy fats like fish and olive oil is the foundation. A building stands on the foundation. Add in resistance training to build the frame and some USP Labs products for efficient plumbing and electrical, lol. Top it all off with a protective roof of plenty of rest. Of course in order to move this newly developed prime piece of real estate: location, location, location.

Good luck to ya.
Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

IMHO

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i will not preach one way or the other on your choice .. its yours alone

do you eat eggs? fish? .. this is a very important question

and do yourself a favor and stop smoking .. yes its hard .. i'm sure one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do .. but it is SO SO SO SO horrible for you .. i guarantee you'll be much happier not being at the beck and call of a chemical substance .. for your sake, your friend's sake, and your family's sake STOP IT! :)

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
everyone here is leading you on the right track. eat better and train hard. Stop thinking about roids and be patient in your work outs. dont give up, find the workouts that give you results.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eat a calorie breakdown as follows:

-15% fats / 55% carbs / 30% proteins

-Start out with 1 gram of protein for each pound of bodymass.

-Increase your calories by 500 Calories every few weeks until you notice you're getting fatter.

Do your squats and deadlifts.

Stay away from steroids. Steroids should not even be option until your big enough naturally that people start to ask you if your on them, and even then it's still up for debate.

AdamUK

Awards
Thanks everyone so much for your input

I am only red Meat Veggy, i cant eat Beef Roasts, Steak, Lamb Chops Pork Chops Etc,

The only meat i will eat is burgers, Bacon, Sausage, Chicken Breast and mince meat

I do not eat any kind of seafood due to not being able to get into the taste however i due take Cod Liver Oil Capsules twice a day,

I eat dairy products like milk eggs etc im not that fussy i just can eat grissle meats as they make me want to throw up, so its more fussy eating than vegtarian im not doing it out of beliefs just taste,

If i start a diet of Whole Oat Porrige in the morning pasta for dinner and an oat snack inbetween is this a good place to start?

Do i need to tak any suppliments like high cal shakes etc?

Thanks Again
Adam

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds like you just need to eat. One day you will apprieciate all foods and not leave any stone unturned. I was a picky eater growing up as a young boy but i realized that eating different things as i got older its like having sex with different girls lol. you need variety. If you ever break your jaw and cant eat solid food for 8 weeks you will find a new meaning and outlook towards eating....I dont think there are much if any muscular vegans in this world.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone so much for your input

I am only red Meat Veggy, i cant eat Beef Roasts, Steak, Lamb Chops Pork Chops Etc,

The only meat i will eat is burgers, Bacon, Sausage, Chicken Breast and mince meat

I do not eat any kind of seafood due to not being able to get into the taste however i due take Cod Liver Oil Capsules twice a day,

I eat dairy products like milk eggs etc im not that fussy i just can eat grissle meats as they make me want to throw up, so its more fussy eating than vegtarian im not doing it out of beliefs just taste,

If i start a diet of Whole Oat Porrige in the morning pasta for dinner and an oat snack inbetween is this a good place to start?

Do i need to tak any suppliments like high cal shakes etc?

Thanks Again
Adam
That we can work with.

Judging by your weight I'll assume you're a hard gainer. I'd start you on a ~2750-3000kcal diet, 50C/30P/20F spread out by 5-8 meals a day (Breakfast/Pre-workout/Post-workout/Mid-Afternoon/Dinner/Mid-Evening/Supper)

So off the top of my head that's upto 350g carbohydrate, 220g protein and 65g fat.

Good (whole) carbs are - oats, pasta, bread, rice.
Good proteins are - chicken, turkey, egg whites, fish, etc.
Good fats (to supplement diet) are - fish oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil, etc.

In terms of high calorie shakes, don't bother buying weight gainers. You can make a healthier version with oats, milk/water, whey isolate and some fruit (e.g. apple).

Out of interest where in the UK are you from?

AdamUK

Awards
Hi guys

Im from nottinghamshire, UK

I am thinking of starting a new diet from monday onwards, breakfast maybe poched egg, sausage and bread or maybe water full oat porridge

Lunch
Pasta salad

Snacks morning and afternoon full Oat and rason bars

Evening Chicken curry with brown rice

Pudding
Egg pancakes

does this seam to be a good plan of action or is theer something missing?

as of from tuesday i will stop smoking and replace smoking with eating as of what normally happens

Any good meals i can rotate with over the weeks so i can put on a reasonable gain over teh months?

cheers
adam

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just two little diet tidbits that I think we've overlooked:

1 split up your calories so that you're getting relatively the same amount per meal (especially with proteins and fats).

2. Try to eat every 3 hours, which should usually equate to 6 times per day.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Go to fitday.com or another nutrition site. Input everything you eat.

If you're not eating at least 3000 kCal a day, you need to eat more.

I'm guessing that your new diet will only be about 2000 kCal, depending on portions.

Eat a lot. Eat often.

silverjon

Awards
Hey im a Vegetarian to and i have a hard time keeping the weight off! Im 6'2 and 220lbs. I do eat eggs and milk cheese though and i take protein shakes to get my protein up to 200+ meats got protein, but a lot of carbs along with the protein is whats going to add wieght. Of course you should be working out so its not fat. at least 3 times per week in my opinion. I also think you smoking is what is keeping you thin. Rather then eat. alot of people smoke. when they stop smoking then they eat alot more , and gain excess wieght.I think you should start here BMR Calculator get you basal metabolic rate then go here. Harris Benedict Equation and add 500 calories a day to gain about a pound week or 1000 for 2 pounds and buy some weight gainer to help with the calorie intake.

silverjon

Awards
Oh and here is an awesome calorie, fat,protein,carb, chart. I would recommend making up a days worth of meals to get started at the calorie intake you want. and start eating that everyday untill you make a second day of meals and so forth that way your not calculating everything everymeal six time per day which is hecktick you just eat what you have written down. I would eat every 2 hrs. 2X6 is 12 hours which if your first meal is at 8am your last is at 8pm.Calorie Chart - Foods Sorted Alphabetically you should shoot for a 40/40/20 diet 40% Protein 40%Carbs and 20% fat good luck!

-bman-

Awards
quit smoking it will help you gain weight trust me! your appetite will shoot through the roof just eat healthy !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cycle Logs 29
ComputerNerd Anabolics 16
Anabolics 0
Anabolics 2
Cycle Logs 1