screw weight gainers!

X

xtatic

Awards
i was looking for a good weight gainer but they are 95% all crap! so im deciding to start making my own.

i would appreciate if we can get some recipes for some sick weight gaining shakes and if possible throw in the ammount of cals/carb/fat/prot.

lookinf for shakes over 800cals or around there.

thank you.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Oats, whey, milk, fruit...800kcal will be easy.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Heres what I do.

3 scoops whey 75gm protein 13gm carbs 7gm fat 360cal
1 tbsp EVOO 13gm good fat 120 cals
rolled oats 1 cup 80gm carbs 10gm protein 8gm fat 350cal
1 fishoil cap 1gm fat 9 cals

total
85gm protein
93gm carbs
29gm fat
cals 836

Much more cost effective just takes a little prep time.

M

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Heres mine...

2 scoops whey
1/2 cup oats
1 small banana
A squirt of some flax oil

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
I think BSN's True Mass and Cytogainer are two really good quality weight gainers. If not the best

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only weight gainer I will every take again is MASS MAKER by Beverly International. It tastes great and puts on GOOD mass. The only thing is u need to double up on the servings and it runs you about $25 for about a weeks worth of shakes. So i take it before bed (with some strawberries) when Im @ the end of bulking for a nite late nite snack thats high in calories about 700 total.

But I just go with the common oats, whey, and pb postworkout or a Met-RX if im on the run

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Both of these are smooth tastey shakes that are high cal but won't keep you full very long. Perfect for weight gainers. cals/pro/carb/fat

Creamy
16oz skim milk 160/16/24/0
1 scoop whey of choice 110/24/3/1
2 whole eggs 150/12/2/10
1 large banana 100/0/25/0
1 tablespoon light olive oil (tasteless) or flax oil 120/0/0/14
Total: 640/52/54/25

Fake Orange Julius
1 large banana 100/0/25/0
8oz Orange Juice 110/0/27/0
1 scoop vanilla whey 110/24/3/1
4 whole eggs 300/24/4/20
Total: 620/48/59/21

If you want more cals, I'd recommend eating some kind of decent carb snack along with them. Wheat bread or bagel, wheat crackers, etc. You could just as easily add oats to your shake, but it won't be as smooth and it will keep you full longer.

A

AM07

Awards
  • Established
CytoGainer is a quality weight gainer formula. Only 5 grams of sugar per serving. Most of the CHO are complex CHO.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
CytoGainer is a quality weight gainer formula. Only 5 grams of sugar per serving. Most of the CHO are complex CHO.
Let me guess, maltodextrin is the complex carb...

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
A good homemade gainer:

1 Cup Of Oats - 300 cals
2 Scoops of Whey - 200 to 240 cals
2 Cups of Milk - Depending on what you use (160-260 cals)
2 TBS of Natty PB - 200 cals

That is an easy 800 calories of delicious shake!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Shake.JPG

Similar to others but tastey.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I believe so. Is this a bad thing?
Maltodextrin is a very high GI refined carb. The fact that it is 'complex' is really not important; it is not really any better than common sugar.

You're much better off combining some sort of whole food carb source with a protein isolate and making your own mix.

Q

quigley

Awards
  • Established
do u use ur weight gainers to make up ur 6 meals, or do u have 6 meals and use ur weight gainers inbetween or with those meals?

Q

quigley

Awards
  • Established
that came out wrong....do u guys say have 4 meals and 2 weight gain shakers, or 6 meals and 2 weight gain shakes

EctoMorphius

EctoMorphius

Awards
I make my own, after trying weight gainers for 2 years, and mine work better. all i ever did was **** them out as diarea before.

1cup whole milk
1/2 cup dry oatmeal
1 scoop protein
1 strawberry yogurt
1 banana

blend the **** out of it,
that will make 740 cal / 42g protein / 113g carbs

EctoMorphius

EctoMorphius

Awards
I make my own, after trying weight gainers for 2 years, and mine work better. all i ever did was **** them out as diarea before.

1cup whole milk
1/2 cup dry oatmeal
1 scoop protein
1 strawberry yogurt
1 banana

blend the **** out of it,
that will make 740 cal / 42g protein / 113g carbs

i eat 5 meals, and 2 shakes a day

R

randall82

Awards
Dont use weight gainer as a meal. If you are bulking and you say you are eating 6 meals a day, than all six meals should be food not powder. Use the shakes between meals or after working out. I know everyone responds differently but I did not start gaining until I ate 6 REAL meals a day.

B

bulkmuscle

Awards
Best weight gainers are home made.

Most people just use oats, whey, and some healthy fats. Maybe throw in some fruit for flavour.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think BSN's True Mass and Cytogainer are two really good quality weight gainers. If not the best
Nothing close:blink:

Although I've heard UP YOUR M(ASS) is pretty good :icon_lol: I personally wouldn't take weight gainers anymore. It's something I learned I just didn't need to do after being a noob for a while:rofl:

D

Dros120

Awards
Almost ice cream...

2 scoops Beverly Ultimate Muscle
2 Tbsp Almond Butter
1tbsp Molasses
1/2 c oatmal or yogert if you are not too carb sensitive

Blend with ice and just enough water.

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
What's the matter with True Mass or Cytogainer? Up your mass by MHP is another good one I forgot to mention but those extra calories are really conveniant when you don't have time to prepare those shakes in the blender and all that.

With all the Fiber and Milk I would use with them you would think the digestion would be slowed greatly

L

lifthardheavy

Awards
Personally I like bland shakes. So:

1.5 scoops plain whey
1/2 cup water
1 cup skim milk or OJ
1 small banana or 1/4 cup yogurt
25g maltodextrin (tasteless)
sometimes 2-3 tsp sugar
sometimes a few Tbsp of whole wheat flour (tastes bad tho)

I drink it over 45 minutes so as not to spike my blood sugar levels.

carbs = 55-85g, protein = 47-52g, fat = 1g

B

brades brigade

Awards
store bougth weight gainers are a wste of money

2 scoops choc whey
8oz skim milk
3/4 cup ground oats
2 squirts of honey
2 tbs PB

Bblend and enjoy

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
With each meal take don lemmons oil. 3 servings. 3x120=260x3 meals 1080 caloires extra a day. That is a extra 7560 calories a week. That is a extra 226800 caloires a month all for a few table spoons of of the oil a day.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
With each meal take don lemmons oil. 3 servings. 3x120=260x3 meals 1080 caloires extra a day. That is a extra 7560 calories a week. That is a extra 226800 caloires a month all for a few table spoons of of the oil a day.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to djbombsquad again.:goodpost:

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I get nasty bloatage if I use over 1/2 cup of oats in a shake. Then I cant eat for hours afterwards. I use Now Super Enzymes, and that helps, but still....

Any ideas??

psycho

psycho

Awards
I agree with saying to hell with weight gainers.. I tried several over the years and honestly never gained an ounce off them. Over the last few years I have still bought Designer Protein for the benefits of its Whey and use it as a post workout meal... If you look at them other than a weight gainer they are good... Does this make sense?

Q

quigley

Awards
  • Established
looking at your avatar...yes...

anything you say makes sense...anything..

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I get nasty bloatage if I use over 1/2 cup of oats in a shake. Then I cant eat for hours afterwards. I use Now Super Enzymes, and that helps, but still....

Any ideas??
Eat less oats. Try fruit, skim milk, honey, and a slice or two of whole wheat toast.

T

Taylor's Pride

Awards
Been doing this lately. Im pretty carb sensitive so you might add some stuff.

2 scoop casein protein
2 whole eggs
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp. Hersheys dark cocoa

blend, let thicken in freezer a bit, drink

Comes out to about 70/8/25

E

Ekse

Awards
HONEY ---- good sugars?

100% pure honey is natural carbs right? is it bad sugars or good? possibly the best type of sugar?
i ask coz i am thinking of formulating a home gainer shake, and was thinking honey makes a good sweetener, but started thinking that it comes from nectar.. and therefore sucrose or frucrose? is this bad?

and secondly i keep reading of protein, or whey, are you guys talling about whey protein? something like optimum nutition's 100% whey?

many thanks

E

Ekse

Awards
also, is it a bad idea to throw honey into a gainer shake because it raises insulin levels, inhibiting the release of growth hormones?

more research im doing shows tha honey is also much much worse than sugar on tooth decay, and that a lot of pesticides are found in commercial honey.

i had someone tell me a while back how great honey was for atheletes becuse of its natural elements and high carb content, but now it would appear that its not as innocent s it would appear?

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
100% pure honey is natural carbs right? is it bad sugars or good? possibly the best type of sugar?
i ask coz i am thinking of formulating a home gainer shake, and was thinking honey makes a good sweetener, but started thinking that it comes from nectar.. and therefore sucrose or frucrose? is this bad?
There is no "good" or "bad" sugars. Honey is roughly half glucose, half fructose: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Honey

and secondly i keep reading of protein, or whey, are you guys talling about whey protein? something like optimum nutition's 100% whey?
Yes.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
also, is it a bad idea to throw honey into a gainer shake because it raises insulin levels, inhibiting the release of growth hormones?
:blink: No. Put some in.

more research im doing shows tha honey is also much much worse than sugar on tooth decay, and that a lot of pesticides are found in commercial honey.

i had someone tell me a while back how great honey was for atheletes becuse of its natural elements and high carb content, but now it would appear that its not as innocent s it would appear?
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/49381-honey.html?highlight=Honey

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

many thanks
Understanding Carbohydrates - The New Basics About Carbs

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Honey

The majority of the carbs in honey come from approximately equal parts glucose and fructose. This is about the same proportion as what is found in table sugar (aka sucrose - is one molecule of each); the GI of honey is a little less than table sugar. Honey does, however, contain a small amount of micronutrition (vitamins and minerals).

Bad or good? That depends on how much you're using and what the purpose is. A small amount of sucrose or honey to sweeten a coffee or shake is not going to be that detrimental, especially if you are counting the calories in your diet. If it's making up a significant portion of your energy intake, that is something different.

Personally if you want to use a 'natural' sweetener I suggest fructose (aka berry sugar). It looks like regular sugar but it is low GI and is about twice as sweet so you can use about half as much to achieve the same effect.

S

satyricon

Awards
weight gainer recipe

four scoops of your fav protien two scoops powdered milk two tbsp olive oil or even organic peanut butter 1/2 cup plain yogurt two tbsp lecithin drink it throughout the day. also intead of reg oats go to a health food place and get some grains(teff,quinoa,amaranth,milletand steel cut oats) put whatever you want in it.eat it for breakfast and maybe a little at night. guys have been doing this since the early fifties and it always works.

I

iDShaDoW

Awards
Those are some great recipes that I'll be looking into using myself in the near future, but before I do I had one question if you all don't mind answering... I've tried the search feature and googling but would like to hear stuff directly from the people on this board.

Pickhealthy Newsletter - Steel Cut vs Rolled Oats

Is the information on that site true? I know in some threads people have mentioned that they avoid the Instant Quaker Oatmeal altogether.

With my schedule the way it is, it'd be tough to find time to cook the steel cut oats, but is there really a big difference nutrition-wise between steel cut and rolled oats?

If I ground up steel cut oats, could I just chuck them raw into a shake and drink it that way? Or would it cause me to feel bloated or something?

Thanks for any and all advice. I'm like 5'9 and ~123lbs or so... I've managed to put on 7lbs by changing my eating habits lately and adding 2 800 calorie shakes to my diet a day would probably be a big help once I start working out more often.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Pickhealthy Newsletter - Steel Cut vs Rolled Oats

Is the information on that site true? I know in some threads people have mentioned that they avoid the Instant Quaker Oatmeal altogether.

With my schedule the way it is, it'd be tough to find time to cook the steel cut oats, but is there really a big difference nutrition-wise between steel cut and rolled oats?

If I ground up steel cut oats, could I just chuck them raw into a shake and drink it that way? Or would it cause me to feel bloated or something?
When people say avoid the instant oatmeal, they're usually talking about the little flavored packets with added sugar (not the big tubs of plain 2min oatmeal).

IMO, steel cut oats are a little more dense, but they're hard, gritty, and more expensive. Nothin wrong with them nutritionally, but the difference between them and regular oatmeal is so minimal there's no way it would make a difference. Eat whichever ones you like the taste of.

I

iDShaDoW

Awards
Alright alright... one last stupid question lol... the oats... do they expand when you cook them?

Just curious if it's gonna like expand in my stomach if I just grind them up and chuck them into a blender with the other stuff in the shake without cooking them ahead of time?

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Alright alright... one last stupid question lol... the oats... do they expand when you cook them?

Just curious if it's gonna like expand in my stomach if I just grind them up and chuck them into a blender with the other stuff in the shake without cooking them ahead of time?
Not enough to make any difference.

B

Bait

Awards
FitRx.com - EAS Myoplex Promotional Offer at FitRx.com

anyone have any feedback on these nutritionally for a MRP (not pwo shake)? I'm a college student and I can't go to the grocery store all the time because I live in NY with no car (I'm from CA so I've only found the bars/clubs and clothing stores :p) and I can't really cook meals. (I usually go to the dining hall eat what they have especially the grilled chicken and pasta and that's about it...it's hard to bulk here because the limited food options :( )

I was thinking I could buy those because they are so cheap, similar to muscle milk (but I've read that some say they taste like crap and others say they aren't the best but tolerable). For the price you can't beat it plus it takes 10 seconds to chug a shake.

Anyways I was going to order that and figured I could add some oats and mix it with milk to get the calories up.

LonghornFan

LonghornFan

Awards
All of these homemade weight gainers sound great, but i am not sure of when i should take them. before workout? after workout? morning? bed time?
can someone give me some advice?

aztec127

aztec127

Awards
All of these homemade weight gainers sound great, but i am not sure of when i should take them. before workout? after workout? morning? bed time?
can someone give me some advice?
depends what else you take for pre workout and after work out. personally, i take homemade weight gainer in the morning, as a snack after my breakfast. i would eat breakfast right at wake up, go to class or whatever, an hour or two later, eat/drink my weight gainer. i could take it before my workout, but i have a meal 2 hours prior to my work out, then 30 minutes before my workout i take my creatine, bcaa, aakg, ba, etc...

basically in your daily time slot when u have time where u haven't eaten for awhile and are hungry (could be morning, afternoon, or midnight) then you should take it.

unless you don't take protein pre workout or after, you should take it 2 hours before your workout then, which gives time for the protein to be absorbed.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Eat less oats. Try fruit, skim milk, honey, and a slice or two of whole wheat toast.
Will the fiber in the whole wheat toast help digestion?

If so, I wiill start taking my protein shakes with whole wheat bread.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
2 Scoops Team Skip True Protein - 50g Protein - 200 Calories
2 Cups FF Skim Milk - 16g Protein - 160 Calories
2 Cups Rice Crispies - 4g Protein - 260 Calories
4 Tbsp Natural PB - 16g Protein - 360 Calories
1 Tbsp EVOO - 0 g Protein - 160 Calories

Blend up, add water if necessary.

Boom:
86g Protein
1140 Calories, and it ends up being around 3.5 cups or 24-30ounces of drink so it goes down pretty quickly.

LonghornFan

LonghornFan

Awards
depends what else you take for pre workout and after work out. personally, i take homemade weight gainer in the morning, as a snack after my breakfast. i would eat breakfast right at wake up, go to class or whatever, an hour or two later, eat/drink my weight gainer. i could take it before my workout, but i have a meal 2 hours prior to my work out, then 30 minutes before my workout i take my creatine, bcaa, aakg, ba, etc...

basically in your daily time slot when u have time where u haven't eaten for awhile and are hungry (could be morning, afternoon, or midnight) then you should take it.

unless you don't take protein pre workout or after, you should take it 2 hours before your workout then, which gives time for the protein to be absorbed.
Right now i usually wake up go workout, then eat breakfast right after working out. go to class, then about three hours later i work out again. the only thing i take right now is N.O. explode right before work out. then after workout i eat lunch but im usually not very hungry. what do you think would be best for that schedule?

aztec127

aztec127

Awards
Right now i usually wake up go workout, then eat breakfast right after working out. go to class, then about three hours later i work out again. the only thing i take right now is N.O. explode right before work out. then after workout i eat lunch but im usually not very hungry. what do you think would be best for that schedule?
i hope you're taking protein powder somewhere in there. if not you should add it to your shake. and i guess it would be optimal to drink the shake right when u wake up, so it would be in your system before your morning work out. then u could have a smaller breakfast during your after work out, so you could eat more during lunch.

LonghornFan

LonghornFan

Awards
i hope you're taking protein powder somewhere in there. if not you should add it to your shake. and i guess it would be optimal to drink the shake right when u wake up, so it would be in your system before your morning work out. then u could have a smaller breakfast during your after work out, so you could eat more during lunch.
Could i take the shake again later in the day? In addition to when i wake up

aztec127

aztec127

Awards
Could i take the shake again later in the day? In addition to when i wake up
yeah its really up to you, but optimally you should put drink it during some time where you haven't really eaten for awhile, so u can refill your tank. this could between your lunch and dinner or maybe at night before you go to sleep so u can get some amino acids in your system so it processes thru your body while you sleep