Martial Arts diet and training

gnat1000

Awards
Well sadly I have been reading for a few weeks now and I am still lost on the particulars to bulking and not getting fatter. I'm currently taking taekwondo and I'm wanting to get some size while I'm doing my normal training. My current workout starts after work at 5pm. It consists of running 2 to 3 miles, taekwondo class, followed by around an hour at the gym. I've been trying to find a good workout for the gym but I'm really not sure what would be best for me.
The main thing I am trying to learn is the nutrition side of it. I'm not eating right(only 2 meals a day) and I'm not taking any type of supplements to help with my training. I tried to figure it out myself through reading but I'm still kinda lost. I'm 5'8, 164lbs and I'm slim but I know that a lot of my weight is fat right now. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well if you're only eating 2 meals a day then you will have a very hard time gaining mass. Try to bump it to 4 and eventually get it to 6 a day. Remember that a protein shake with oats counts as a meal and can be taken with you. I train MMA and I eat between 5-7 meals a day depending on my energy and training that day.

One thing you may want to do is to split up your training into 2 sessions because remaining that active for 3+ hours without a significant break is not ideal.

gnat1000

Awards
yeah I'm definitely going to expand my meals to probably around 6 but i really have no idea what i should eat though. And i'm also going to start running in the mornings to spead things out

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since we are geared more towards performance than aestheics, focus on consuming clean, complex carbs. Lean protein should be included to every meal, but it is not the focal point so about 25-30 grams will suffice. Make sure to eat plenty of produce to keep the immune system running along. My meals usuallu consists of either eggs, chicken or seafood with roats, rice, or pototoes and vegetables. I usually eat fruit with breakfast and also after I lift or jiujitsu.

gnat1000

Awards
Well what is your normal daily routene? That might help get me towards the right direction

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My training routine right now is this:
Monday - Tris/Delts/Core, conditioning
Tuesday - AM cardio, BJJ
Wednesday - Chest/Back, Stand-up
Thursday - AM cardio, BJJ
Friday - Legs/Stand-Up
Saturday - Chest/Back, BJJ
Sunday - off

I generally have about a 4 hour break between lifting and other training; during this break I usually eat twice and take a nap. The only supps I take are protein, BCAA's, Cissus, and NRALA, but I use Anagen/Fenotest about three times a year for various reasons. I consume about 3000 kcals a day and my lifting is geared towards strength so I use lower volume and low reps. I alternate a large meal with a snack or shack three times a day. For example, my breakfast is 3 eggs(1 yolk, 2 whites), 4 pieces of turkey bacon, 1C of oats, and 2 slices of pineapple; 3-3.5 hrs later I eat a chicken or turkey sandwich on whole grain bread. After that I eat the following: chicken or lean beef with rice or potatoes and veggies. Before bed, I eat eggs with either some milk or beef.

The basic rules of nutrition apply to martial arts training and bulking, except the amount of carbohydrate must be increased to compensate for the extra activity. On some days, I consume up to 500g of carbs at a weight of about 185-190 because of lifting, cardio, and MMA.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
As Rodja said you definitely need to increase the number of meals per day. At your level of activity consuming 4-6 smaller meals will help your energy levels, recuperation and general overall wellbeing. It will also help in reducing your body fat as it will stoke up your metabolism.

As far as strength training (I am a retired TKD instructor with 37 yrs in the arts) I always encouraged my students to focus on basic full body compound workouts. You are not a bodybuilder so you don't need to do a split routine or small movements. Focus on 5-6 exercises - bench, curls, squats etc. You want to develope additional power in your technique while maintaining the flexibility and speed that TKD needs.

Over all you could also add a good multi vit/min and possibly a joint recovery formula if you are not already doing so.

gnat1000

Awards
Yeah the joint recovery looks good. What brand would you suggest? I'm going to get a digestive enzine to help with getting use to eating but whats some good things to eat? I'm seeing a lot of things on eggs(yolk and whites) chicken, and oats. I'm basically trying to get up a eating routene so I can get the ball rolling. Also what is a good thing to eat before my workout? I see alot about whey but what else?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the joint recovery looks good. What brand would you suggest? I'm going to get a digestive enzine to help with getting use to eating but whats some good things to eat? I'm seeing a lot of things on eggs(yolk and whites) chicken, and oats. I'm basically trying to get up a eating routene so I can get the ball rolling. Also what is a good thing to eat before my workout? I see alot about whey but what else?

Well i'm a distributor for a mutli-level company so I use my brand. Look at the board sponsors like NutraPlanet etc. They have sevaral good products. I would look at a good Glucosamine and/or Cissus formula. Not one that is just a single ingredient but a balance multi ingredient formulation.

Someone else want to chime in here on recommendations for a specific brand for him?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cissus Rx will help on muitiple levels in training so he should go that route. PreW all I use is BCAA's/WPI.

gnat1000

Awards
where are you getting the cissus rx? and what is BCAA's/WPI? Sorry i'm kinda new to all this

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
where are you getting the cissus rx? and what is BCAA's/WPI? Sorry i'm kinda new to all this
Nutraplanet; BCAA are branch chain amino acids and WPI is whey protein isolate. I buy a premade BCAA blend called Xtend and the WPI I use is called Substance and they're both made by Scivation. There is a ton of threads on BCAA supplementation on this board so do a search.

gnat1000

Awards
Sounds good. Now I just need to get my diet and workout schedule figured out and I'll be set. Anymore tips on diet or workout routene?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good. Now I just need to get my diet and workout schedule figured out and I'll be set. Anymore tips on diet or workout routene?
Nothing off of the top mof my head, but if you need any more help, then let me know. I have done a lot of trial and error with the amount of food and activity and I am starting to get a better grasp on how to approach everything together. I am just as strong now as I was when I weighed 210 so I am not losing any strength, which has been my goal all along.

gnat1000

Awards
Nutraplanet; BCAA are branch chain amino acids and WPI is whey protein isolate. I buy a premade BCAA blend called Xtend and the WPI I use is called Substance and they're both made by Scivation. There is a ton of threads on BCAA supplementation on this board so do a search.
Do you mix the BCAA and the WPI or do you take them separate?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you mix the BCAA and the WPI or do you take them separate?
Mix them together with about 20 oz of water, drink half before WO, add 12 more oz and drink the rest throughout your WO.