Need advice on my bulk diet Please.

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Need advice on my bulk diet Please.

HI, I have been working out for only little over year and been doing allot of research about nutrition and working out. Iv leaned allot since then but I still have allot to learn and just thought id share my diet and see if anyone could help me out any.

Im 217 lbs with about 15-17% body fat.

I do mostly compund workouts with exception of a few other workouts. I do Bench press, military press and some arms on monday and thursday's. On Tuesday's and Friday's I do Dead lifts and Sqauts and leg curls with some Bent over rows. I take the weekend off. I try to make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep. Now I have a really slow metabolism and I gain weight really easy and was hoping this would help me put on some muscle easier. Now after being on my diet for a week I put on 3 pounds, Im pretty sure this cant be muscle but i dont notice myself visibly looking different although im worried I might be eating to much and putting on to much fat but at the same time I just want to make sure Im eating enough to put on maximum amount of muscle my body is capable of. Any help and suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Below is my basic daily diet that I eat every day , I try to keep my meals similiar each day in terms of serving sizes and % of fats/proteins/carbs.

Supplements and Daily Diets:

I take a good multivitamin and EFA caps with some green tea extract.

my basic daily diet consist like the following
    7am I usually wake up and eat a 1/2 cup oatmeal with 8oz skim milk and a protent shake with 4 oz skim milk.

10am I usually have a protein bar about 200 calories or a snack like fried egg white with 2 whole grain toast, or a few tablespoons of peanut butter on celery and a 4 oz skim milk.

12am-1pm for lunch I usually do about a 400-600 calorie lunch, I aim for about 40% carbs and 40% protiens

3-4pm I usually have another snack like the one I ate at about 10am

6-7pm For dinner I usually have a pretty large dinner at around 1000 calories and aim for 40% protent 40% carbs and 20% fats.

9-10pm righ before bedtime i drink 8 oz skim milk with 2 scoops protein poweder = about 50G protein.

And for post workout shakes I always do 2 scoops protein powder 16 oz skim milk and 1/2 cup oatmeal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And like I said before my main concern I suppose was gaining 3 pounds in 1 week on this diet. Even though I dont think I have a problem shredding off the fat after I finish my bulk I dont want to gain to much to fast and 3 pounds in one week seemed a little high but again im not a pro at this. Thank in advance.

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Make sure you weigh yourself first-thing in the morning. Weighing at different times in the day will show fluctuations of up to 5 lbs.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage
    Make sure you weigh yourself first-thing in the morning. Weighing at different times in the day will show fluctuations of up to 5 lbs.
    Ok, thank you very much for that info. I didnt realize that. Does my diet seem good enough though?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

IMO it looks fairly solid (but I'm certainly no expert). One criticism I would have is that you're relying on protein powders and bars for most of your protein. You may want to try working in more whole foods like tuna, chicken, eggs, etc. Also, at 1000 calories the dinner seems a little excessive. Maybe eat a little less at dinner and spread those calories around to the rest of the day.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage
    IMO it looks fairly solid (but I'm certainly no expert). One criticism I would have is that you're relying on protein powders and bars for most of your protein. You may want to try working in more whole foods like tuna, chicken, eggs, etc. Also, at 1000 calories the dinner seems a little excessive. Maybe eat a little less at dinner and spread those calories around to the rest of the day.
    OK thanks, ill do that, Iv started already eating more egg whites/tuna and more lean foods instead of protein bars, although when at work i rely on my bars because I cant stop and eat. Thanks allot for the info , its very much appreciated.
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.05%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Well I don't have time to get into too much but right off the bat i would get in more protein and calories in the morning. Either the 7am or 10am I would add in 6-8 egg whites to start then work my way up to 10-12.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Well I don't have time to get into too much but right off the bat i would get in more protein and calories in the morning. Either the 7am or 10am I would add in 6-8 egg whites to start then work my way up to 10-12.
    Thank you for the tip. I can add some more calories in the morning then.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.08%

As has been stated, try not to rely on supps as much. They certainly have their place, but I'm a fan of whole food.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Quote Originally Posted by TenMan
    As has been stated, try not to rely on supps as much. They certainly have their place, but I'm a fan of whole food.
    Thanks, I used to rely almost soley on supplements but im leaning new and creative ways to get some whole foods into my very busy lifestyle. Its tricky but slowly and surely im getting more whole foods into my diet. But for the time being and on some days I have to rely on supplements shakes which I suppose is better then nothing. Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and tips, its very much appreciated.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.68%

You can pre-make your food for whatever the occasion and wont have to rely on a protein shake. Try to spread out the calories throughout the day. Where are your carb sources coming from besides oats, and bread?? Sweet potatoes are a great source of carbs.
  11. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.96%

Like he said above, weigh yourself first thing in the morning, but do it right after you urinate. That's the lightest you'll be all day. And don't sweat the changes from one day to the next. You can weigh yourself every day, but focus on how the number has changed since 1-2 weeks before. Also if you've been cutting and you just switched to bulking, it's common to gain quickly (a lot of water weight).

I see a few things in your diet I would change.

1. Your 10am & 3pm snacks. Add more protein. Maybe 30g total or more in each.

2. I don't know what time you workout, but make sure your preworkout meal is solid. Good amount of protein & carbs.

3. Assuming your current protein powder at bedtime is whey? Subtract some, if not all of that and add cottage cheese, low fat string cheese, &/or meat (stuff that's slowly digested).

4. You should add up the cals/protein/carbs/fats of all this, or at least a very close estimate. It's nice to know where you're at.

5. Get a decent amount of veggies in there if you don't already.

Your supp list was a pleasant surprise btw. Good choices.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Thanks guys, very good advice and i will put that to good use for sure. I have recently starting eating cottage cheese at bedtime now and pretty much made sweet potatoes a staple at dinner time and get allot more of my carbs from whole grain bread and pasta's and oats.
    I usually buy the sweet potatoes in a can because of how much easier it is. I am really not big on can food at all but this is the only one I will eat from cans. Anyong disagree with that? I know my veggies I buy frozen and just steam them, and mostly eat cauliflower and brocolli. Thanks again to everyone for such great advice and tips, its very much appreciated.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need advice on my workout please
    By jief in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
  2. Advice on my next cycle please
    By WAR in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 06:20 PM
  3. Help me on my bulking diet?
    By BOHICA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10