glen's diet

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Just for fun
i put this in the bulking forum only because i'm not cutting and i'm striving to put on lean mass .. i stopped "bulking" and "cutting" .. i found that while bulking i didn't really add any more muscle when i increased my cals a lot .. just added more fat which necessitated cutting ... i'll still tighten up my diet if i feel i want to be leaner but this is usually a 3 week thing and not a "cut"

workout days

9am - 1 cup oats, 8 egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder
12pm - 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey (pre workout)
2:30pm - 1 cup oats, 2 scoops whey (post workout)
5pm - 2 cans tuna, low fat mayo to taste, 4 pieces 100% natural whole wheat bread (pepperidge farm makes natural bread with no corn syrup, wheat gluten, etc.)
8pm - 1 can chicken, lots of nuts (peanuts, cashews, almonds)
before bed - 1 can chicken, lots of nuts, 1.5-2 teaspoons metamucil

nonworkout days
9am - 1 cup oats 8 egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder
12pm - 2 cans tuna, low fat mayo to taste, 4 pieces 100% natty whole wheat bread
3pm - same as noon
5 or 6pm - 1 cup oats, 8 egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder
8 pm - 1 can chicken, lots of nuts
before bed - 1 can chicken, lots of nuts, 1.5-2 teaspoons metamucil

typical weekend day (what i have eaten so far today)
10am - 3 egg omlette w/american cheese and broccolli, 2 eggs, ham, american cheese on a hard roll, and a stack of 3 pancakes with maple syrup
12pm - steak and mozzeralla panini, espresso brownie
3pm - 1 can tuna, low fat mayo to taste, 2 pieces 100% whole wheat bread
6pm (currently eating) - 2 slices pizza
*9pm - 1 can chicken lots of nuts
*before bed - 2 scoops protein powder, nuts, 1.5-2teaspoons metamucil

*-yet to occur, but likely what i will eat

as you can see .. i basically eat whatever the hell i want on the weekends and don't worry about it .. i do try to stay away from complete junk but then again i did have that brownie and the 2 slices of pizza :)

take this for what its worth .. i know my body and know what i need to eat and what i can get away with .. i'm currently at least as lean as i am in my avatar and slowly gaining muscle

Last edited:
Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
thats a'nice... high five

lol

I'm like that as well now too. I don't have a "bulk" diet or a "cut" diet.. I just manipulate carbs and fats based on my goals. It's usually shifting every 2 weeks either way.

Weekend "cheats" aren't as cheat-like as they used to be..

Looks good. I only eat white albacore now, chunk light tastes like cat food to me now. I also have way more red meat, but that's because I'm dangerous like that.

I like it Glen... Like I said I fully subscribe to "lean mass eating", instead of bulk/cut yo-yos that has plagued us all in the past.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Man...looks good. Whats the macro breakdown? Also...what do you consider a lot of nuts? 1.5-2oz?

BigDick

Awards
Hmmmm, seeing that relatively little quantity of food (compared to the all-you-can-eat bulkers out there) on someone with that much lean mass makes me want to rethink my lean bulking habits.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Generally one teabagging from Beelze and he's satieted.. or half of one of mine in his mouth.. and he's done..... Give or take. :D
:rofl:

That's a good plan Glen, it's always better to go for quality mass IMO. How much do normally gain a month with this diet ?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks glen for posting your diet. I must say with a diet like that you would need to cheat on the weekends to keep your sanity! Disturbing images UBI...haha sick human you are. Also interested in the macros for that diet. i also think i am with you on this eating extra for bulking adds more fat than anything idea. IMO and from my experience so far, majority of cals should come from Post workout(the biggest meal) and your first meal.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Glen, the only thing I would be worried about (for myself at least) is the high acidic content of the food you are eating. Protein is a given, but that much oatmeal can also be leading to an acidic state as well as the whole wheat bread. What about alkaline fruits and veggies and alkaline carbs?
Of course, if you dont have any stomach issues to begin with, ENJOY.....I used to eat the same way but now have had to really revamp my diet.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glen, the only thing I would be worried about (for myself at least) is the high acidic content of the food you are eating. Protein is a given, but that much oatmeal can also be leading to an acidic state as well as the whole wheat bread. What about alkaline fruits and veggies and alkaline carbs?
Of course, if you dont have any stomach issues to begin with, ENJOY.....I used to eat the same way but now have had to really revamp my diet.
could that cause heartburn? Maybe that is my problem alot of the times too. What is an alkaline fruit?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
could that cause heartburn? Maybe that is my problem alot of the times too. What is an alkaline fruit?
I think that most fruits are alkaline, but the best ones are bananas and grapefruits. If you are getting heartburn, then you should start taking digestive enzymes about 10-15 minutes before you eat.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
macros (roughly)
carbs - 200g
pro - 390g
fat - 60g
total - 2900 cals (for workout and nonworkout days)

as for the weekends i have no idea i don't keep track

"lots of nuts" means around 2oz (70 or so peanuts)

this personally works well for me as i'm fairly sensitive to carbs .. others might need a lot more carbs to bulk up .. or more fats or just a different breakdown in general

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i don't have any stomach issues so i really have never thought about the acidity and whatnot

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
:rofl:

That's a good plan Glen, it's always better to go for quality mass IMO. How much do normally gain a month with this diet ?
well that's hard to quantify ... depends on a lot of things .. how active i am outside of training .. what i'm on

i judge my gains by the tape measure and not the scale but i would say i generally gain about 5lbs of lean mass a year (at this point in my development) and i'm very content with that

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i should also mention that my total cals are probably at least 100 cals higher

i only counted the main thing i eat a food for .. i.e. i only counted the carbs in the oats and not the fat and protein, i only counted the fats in the nuts and not the protein, etc. ... since i just did a quick calculation in my head

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
thats a'nice... high five
Somebody saw Borat... funniest movie ever.

Glen - Thanks for posting the diet. I am 100% with you on the neverending lean bulk and avoiding the bulk/cut/bulk/cut rollercoaster... Unfortunately, I now have quite a bit of fat due to a 2-year illness (now cured), which will necessitate a single cut to get down to ~10%. But after that, it's endless lean bulk all the way.

Nice post.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
This actually looks like a perfect cutting diet for me :)

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Glen - Are you not eating any fruits at all? If not, is there a reason for this?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
umm no real reason just don't really eat that much fruit .. if its around i'll eat it but i usually don't buy it

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
the mayo only has 1 gram of saturated fat and 4 grams of unsaturated .. i'm really not concerned over it :)

good link though

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
What's up Glen.

Judging from your pic, your diet definitely works. But for general health & lowering disease risk, some fruit & veggie will do you good. Even if you added a couple of measly fruits a day + a couple cups of something green, you'll suddenly be an international man of mystery, like Austin Powers.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
haha i know you're right .. i really should

any suggestions on which fruits? veggies i can handle

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
who says you should?

ok wait I checked Alan's site.. screw it, I'm not going to argue with a nutritionist. :D

Alan, explain why Fruits and Veggies will turn Glen into this exalted man of mystery that we all strive to be.. ;).. If he's "carb sensitive", should he have his fruit pre and post training?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I'm definately not Alan, but I would guess that any fruit (whatever tastes good & is convenient for you) is much better than none.

Also, AFAIK, there are plenty of fruits that are fairly low GI. Apples, Pears, Strawberries, Oranges, etc. The fructose & fiber help to keep it down.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat lots of broccolli and berries. Berries are easy you can just throw them in your oats or freeze them and blend in your protien shake. Blueberries and strawberries are my usual. Low in carbs and high in antioxidants too. Sometimes I get on a big melon kick too.. Watermelon, honey due, cantelope,..etc.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Glen I am jealous here man! I wish I could gain on 2900-3k cals! It gets hard to eat the 5k a day I have been doing! I hear of some of these "larger" guys putting down 6-7k! I cant even imagine...:jaw:

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Why?

A medium apple contains less than 10g of fructose. This ain't a can of corn syrup.
Quite simply, I CKD. Fructose is a great saboteur of ketosis. Granted, I do partake in fruit on my frequent refeeds, but for the most part I stay away from Fruits.

10g of Fructose could put me over my quota in a day if I am not careful, and I do not have as much leeway in regards to liver glycogen stores with Fructose.

People are welcome to challenge the idea, and more power to them for their love of fruit. :D

This is what works well for me, as diets are very much individualized.

My apologies for hijacking the thread.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Quite simply, I CKD. Fructose is a great saboteur of ketosis. Granted, I do partake in fruit on my frequent refeeds, but for the most part I stay away from Fruits.

10g of Fructose could put me over my quota in a day if I am not careful, and I do not have as much leeway in regards to liver glycogen stores with Fructose.

People are welcome to challenge the idea, and more power to them for their love of fruit. :D

This is what works well for me, as diets are very much individualized.

I understand. I didn't know you were on CKD.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
if you EVER hijack one of my threads again YOU'LL WISH YOU HADN'T!!!!:bruce1:

or i probably just won't say anything because you tend to have useful and informative things to say

either way ....

BigDick

Awards
<START HIJACK> hahaha sorry, but real quick, ubiq do you bulk on CKD or any other keto-type diets by any chance? always had problems bulking with high-carb diets and putting on fat, being lethargic, etc, but test running a semi-CKD type bulk and feeling great. <END HIJACK>

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
as opposed to a high carb bulking diet or a CDK why not try a high protein mod carbs and mod fats? ... personally i wouldn't gain on a cdk diet .. i'm not really sure how anyone could as you need carbs to build muscle

but try lowering your carbs and upping healthy fats and throw in some cardio 2 or 3 times a week to combat fat gain

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
back to the fruit thing....I eat bananas, its like a staple for me i know its high in potassuim and taste great in shakes too! Bananas do a body good.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
as opposed to a high carb bulking diet or a CDK why not try a high protein mod carbs and mod fats? ... personally i wouldn't gain on a cdk diet .. i'm not really sure how anyone could as you need carbs to build muscle

but try lowering your carbs and upping healthy fats and throw in some cardio 2 or 3 times a week to combat fat gain
exactly... I don't gain on CKD.. although I do gain strength.

I gain when I do what Glen just pointed out... and I implement a moderate carb rotation with low-medium thoughout the week when I do.

I'm not scared of carbs, I just don't like fructose.. perhaps it's unfounded, but hey.. I never had a sweet tooth. ;)

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
who says you should?

ok wait I checked Alan's site.. screw it, I'm not going to argue with a nutritionist. :D

Alan, explain why Fruits and Veggies will turn Glen into this exalted man of mystery that we all strive to be.. ;).. If he's "carb sensitive", should he have his fruit pre and post training?
I think whole fruit pre and/or posttraining is actually a good idea. A single fruit rarely hits 10g fructose. The good thing about a small amount of fructose is that it's the best substrate for replenishing liver glycogen. What most folks don't realize is that the liver is the 24-7 supplier of your blood's sugar level, even when you're not training. It's the only organ in your body that maintains your blood glucose levels. Muscle glycogen is pretty much locked for use during training by the muscle containing it.

Another thing most folks don't realize is that along with muscle glycogen, liver glycogen gets significantly tapped into during training as well. Little know fact is that liver glycogen use is intensity-dependent to boot. Unless your weight training bouts are like Richard Simmons, you're hitting up liver glycogen. What's so important about liver glycogen support?? More than many are even aware of. Swelling/hydration of the liver cells is one of the strongest anabolic/anti-catabolic signals in the body. This is achieved by making sure the so-called "fed state" is achieved via liver glycogenesis.

the thing people are typically afraid of with fructose is lipogenesis once glycogen stores are full. But alas, this is a misunderstanding. 1st of all, it would take a ****load of fruit to fill up hepatic glycogen stores to any degree of concern. And even in the event that glycogen storage depots are full, carbs will not necessarily get converted to bodyfat automatically. There could still a wide margin of energy/calories that need to be spent to support basal processes, as well as voluntary activity. Even if ALL the glycogen depots are full, the elevated thermic demand of the trained state determines that those carbs get used to generate ATP, and not converted to stored fat.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
haha i know you're right .. i really should

any suggestions on which fruits? veggies i can handle
Choose only the fruits you like the taste of, they're the ones your individual physiology likely favors.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that is very well said. Thank you for enlightening me Alan. I'd rep you again if I could.

Buff Bagwell

hey glen, i was wondering what the reasoning is for taking metamucil before bedtime? I just barely noticed it under your diet...

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
can you explain this a bit more?
I can't resist but quote rapper/ex-pimp Suga Free: "If it's good TO ya, it must be good FOR ya". I agree with this, and so does much of Eastern medicine. Not to get all weird, but there's an Ayurvedic principle that states basically that our taste receptors "know" what's physiologically good for us as individuals. This is why everyone has a different list of favorite foods. For the most part, we still have the instinct/inborn ability to optimize our diets from a health & longevity standpoint -- by simply choosing the food subtypes we like the taste of. There's a strong psychosomatic connection. So in the case of fruit, if pick 1 or more types of your favorite fruit to consume throughout the week. If you can do 3 different types in a week, you're doing what you can to maximize variety. This is a good thing, since every plant & animal species in nature has a unique benefit to health - and in the BB context, a unique benefit to recovery & growth of lean tissue.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hmm so i should start pounding big macs? :)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hey glen, i was wondering what the reasoning is for taking metamucil before bedtime? I just barely noticed it under your diet...
to get extra fiber in my diet and keep everything moving along freely :) i feel better since i've started doing it

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
damn .. not too many big mac trees in nyc ... might have to venture to jersey ...

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I hear Ronnie Mcdonald grows Big Macs in the Amazon... and Chicken McNuggets in Chernobyl.

I like that Ayurvedic way of thinking.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Even if ALL the glycogen depots are full, the elevated thermic demand of the trained state determines that those carbs get used to generate ATP, and not converted to stored fat.
Hey Alan,

Could you expound on this? More precise definition of "trained state" and approximate (or maximum) amount of carbs. Any formal references to this that you could point to?

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Hey Alan,

Could you expound on this? More precise definition of "trained state" and approximate (or maximum) amount of carbs. Any formal references to this that you could point to?
I've read that de novo lipogenesis as a result of carbs would take massive overfeeds for days on end, so the effect of a single meal while your cells are like blast furnaces (during & immediately posttraining) would be less than negligible. Trained state refers to the increased sensitivity to insulin, receptivity by lean tissue to fuels, increased thermogenesis, increased beta adrenergic activity, etc, etc. Maximum amount of carbs before lipogenesis occurs would be tough to pin down, because by the end of the day, it wouldn't matter anyway if your net fat balance isn't positive. Nother words, let's say you ate a box of entemann's cinnamon rolls postworkout, but by the end of the day or week, it didn't contribute to a caloric surplus of unused kcals, then you're fine. That's the whole concept behind refeeds, it's tough for them to be acutely lipogenic, and even tougher for them to be chronically lipogenic if thermo balance & training were in check.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, that's great news. Especially since those Entemann's cinnamon buns come twelve to a pack. Means I can scarf one down between each interval during at HIIT session! :woohoo: