How much protein/calorie should i intake?

cjs26e4u

Awards
I am 23, 5'11, 150 lbs. Ive read on here somewhere that there should be like a 40/20/20 intake or something like that.........that being said i am still fairly new to dieting and gaining weight. I have no idea what this means, lol. I want to start out on a 3000 cal diet and have at least 1g of protein per lb of weight. I am in the military & am taking leave the end of december, i want to put on as many lbs/muscle as i can by then. What is a healthy intake amount i should look into? Thanks for the help, CJ.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think your reffering to 40% carbs/40%protein/20% fat diet. Intake is going to vary for diffrent people but this is a good start. If you do alot of cardio you may want to raise your carbs even higher. I myself shoot for close to 2g of protein per lbs of bodyweight. Some people find they can do well with 1g.

cjs26e4u

Awards
When you say 20% fat diet, does this mean "fats" in general such as "total fat" or different types like saturated fat, trans fat, etc?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
total fat. But it would be preferrable to have them come from healthy fats. Like omega-3's and omega-6's. Peanut butter, olive oil and flax seed oil are the only 3 things I ever eat to get my fat intake. You don't ever want trans fats btw, so stay away from butter and margarine. Get the spray butter stuff with no cals, or make your own butter from the recipes on this board if you must.

cjs26e4u

Awards
total fat. But it would be preferrable to have them come from healthy fats. Like omega-3's and omega-6's. Peanut butter, olive oil and flax seed oil are the only 3 things I ever eat to get my fat intake. You don't ever want trans fats btw, so stay away from butter and margarine. Get the spray butter stuff with no cals, or make your own butter from the recipes on this board if you must.
Thanks.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i shoot for 2g per pound but usually 1.5 gram per lb is attainable. Spread your meals out if you dont already know that. 40/40/20 is pretty standard for most. dont forget to lift and have adequite rest time. Good luck.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
i shoot for 2g per pound but usually 1.5 gram per lb is attainable. Spread your meals out if you dont already know that. 40/40/20 is pretty standard for most. dont forget to lift and have adequite rest time. Good luck.
yup, agreed. the protein and c. carbs is very important, but also dont forget thetotal calorie number at the end of the day. if your 150, when all said and done for your size rond 4500 should be enough. Both milk,pnut butter and mornin toast are great cheat foods that shovel the cals into you, just make sure you have the $$ to construct a good diet lol. Hell im getin round 7,000 cals a day right now, imagine my food bill at the end of the week,lol.:study:

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Generally for bulking I'd be looking at the following-
1.25-1.5g Protein/lb
1.5-2g Carbohydrate/lb
0.5-0.75g Fat/lb

cjs26e4u

Awards
Thanks for the help, now i have to come up with a "clean" diet.................:frustrate

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
honestly i don't think its very hard to have a clean diet... mine consists mainly of wheat bread, wheat pasta, cereal, lots of 1% milk, chicken, tuna, sometimes beef, oatmeal, whey etc...

Once you learn to eat well it's really second nature. I could not keep a log of my diet and eat exactly what i need for 1 day of bulking in a very VERY close 40/40/20 ratio. I actually put that to test the other day i ended up at 42% CHO, 38% protein and 20% fats.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
When you say 20% fat diet, does this mean "fats" in general such as "total fat" or different types like saturated fat, trans fat, etc?
Avoid trans fats which are present in most margerines remembering that a small amount of saturated fat is needed for proper testosterone production. In regards to the flaxseed oil, many people take this because it is high in omega 3's, HOWEVER, flaxseed omega 3's are the ALA type which has a hard time converting to EPA/ DHA. ALA's do not confer the cardiovascular health benefits of EPA and DHA. So instead pick up a fishoil capsule .

Just some advice.