Weight Gainers / Cholesterol

  1. Weight Gainers / Cholesterol


    Why do most weight gainers contain rediculous amounts of cholesterol?

    I know that cholesterol plays vital roles in the body including Test production, but amounts like 150mg+ per serving is friggin nuts. At what point does it become too much?

    On a side note, how much total/saturated fat should be tolerated per serving during a bulk?

    Thanks for any suggestions.


  2. The cholesterol may actually be coming from the product's company that recommends you mixing it with milk. And it may be 2% or whole milk so that's gonna give lotsa fat and cholesterol. But it won't be much of a gainer if you mix it with plain water...

  3. Indeed, a lot of the cholesterol is coming from the milk however, some of the weight gainers contain 120-150mg of cholesterol even when mixed with water.

    Another thing I noticed is the major differences in carb to protien ratios. I've seen weight gainers containing anywhere from 50mg-315mg of carbs.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality weight gainer with the right balance of carbs to protien?

    Should I just find something with a good amount of carbs and just add it to my regular protein?
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    Indeed, a lot of the cholesterol is coming from the milk however, some of the weight gainers contain 120-150mg of cholesterol even when mixed with water.

    Another thing I noticed is the major differences in carb to protien ratios. I've seen weight gainers containing anywhere from 50mg-315mg of carbs.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality weight gainer with the right balance of carbs to protien?

    Should I just find something with a good amount of carbs and just add it to my regular protein?

    Anyone????

  5. .... Thanks for all the replies.

    .... .... ....

  6. I wouldnt worry about unless you have cholesteral problems....I have heard somewhere that dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood cholesterol, plus you most likley exercise alot if you use weight gainer.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by NO HYPE

    Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality weight gainer with the right balance of carbs to protien?

    Should I just find something with a good amount of carbs and just add it to my regular protein?

    Never used it but if I had to use a weight gainer Id probably try Cytosports Cytogainer (seems to have the best balance of protein and carbs without all the carbs being sugar)

    Personally though I would reccomend making your own for both nutritional and $ reasons. Theres tons of great gainer recipes on here. Try blending Natty PB, milk (% up to you), protein powder, oats, cottage cheese, EVOO (depeding on time/use), anything like this and presto homeade weight gainer with stuff you KNOW AND WANT in it and a frction of the price

  8. Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    Never used it but if I had to use a weight gainer Id probably try Cytosports Cytogainer (seems to have the best balance of protein and carbs without all the carbs being sugar)

    Personally though I would reccomend making your own for both nutritional and $ reasons. Theres tons of great gainer recipes on here. Try blending Natty PB, milk (% up to you), protein powder, oats, cottage cheese, EVOO (depeding on time/use), anything like this and presto homeade weight gainer with stuff you KNOW AND WANT in it and a frction of the price
    Agreed, store-bought gainers are the perfect recipe for fat-gain and/or diabetes. I'd stick with a whole-food based concoction like that described above.
  9. Re: Weight Gainers


    Much thanks (OCC/Beo).

    I too have never tried a pre mixed weight gainer and was thinking about it for certain times of the day when I can't access a kitchen, but now that u mention it.... it does make more sense to make my own.

    Would you say that the carb to protein ratio should be equal for a post workout shake, or should the amount of carbs be greater?

    THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.

  10. I've gone carb-loco before and I really don't think it helps. I'd just go w/about 50g of each post workout (and pre). Try to stick with low-GI carbs, such as oatmeal or whole wheat bagels.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I've gone carb-loco before and I really don't think it helps. I'd just go w/about 50g of each post workout (and pre). Try to stick with low-GI carbs, such as oatmeal or whole wheat bagels.

    Much thanks bro.

    Hope your enjoying your time away.... (if it ain't work related or jail time) ....

  12. Not jail, but it is work related. Plus, I'm just starting BJJ and Muay Thai, so time will be even shorter.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I'm just starting BJJ and Muay Thai, so time will be even shorter.
    That's great to here.

    Welcome to MMA.

  14. Definitely make your own. There are ton of threads on shake recipes. This is the shake that I drink in the morning if you want to make your own. Please note however that I'm a hardgainer. I weigh about 160lbs and need 4000 calories per workout day and 3500 on nonworkout days to gain about 1lb a week. So you'll probably have to change the ratios to fit your caloric requirements.

    2 cups mixed berries
    1 cup raw oats
    1 scoop ON 100% Whey
    1/2 cup egg whites
    2 cups skim milk
    2 tbsp EVOO

  15. Quote Originally Posted by bearmeat
    This is the shake that I drink in the morning if you want to make your own.

    Thank you for your example.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by bearmeat View Post
    1 scoop ON 100% Whey
    can you elaborate on this ingredient? what is it exactly?

  17. its Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey protein...

    on another note, is BSN's True Mass good in any of your experiences?

  18. Aztec,

    thank you for your reply.
    i wonder if what bearmeat has recommended is good for people with higher than average cholestrol.

    I also don't weigh much (160 lbs) but i would like to add some weight and muscle to my mass and i wonder if this shake is good.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by aztec127 View Post
    its Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey protein...

    on another note, is BSN's True Mass good in any of your experiences?
    BSN is getting sued in the state of California for their Creatine Ethyl Ester Malate not being 'real.'

    Apparently there is no patent for said CEM3 and supplementpolice.com found that in their analysis the BSN products such as NO explode and True Mass, actually only contain Creatine Monohydrate.

    Dunno what that says about the rest of the content of True Mass, but there ya go.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

  20. Quote Originally Posted by saalnaz View Post
    Aztec,

    thank you for your reply.
    i wonder if what bearmeat has recommended is good for people with higher than average cholestrol.

    I also don't weigh much (160 lbs) but i would like to add some weight and muscle to my mass and i wonder if this shake is good.
    It is simply a protein supplement.

    ON Whey is very popular and it has top ingredients

  21. oh i was wondering because it seems like such a nice weight gainer. i'm not looking for creatine or any other ingredient thru true mass, just clean calories and vitamins.

  22. Fellas,

    is the following shake good for guys who want to gain weight but have a higher than average level of cholestrol?

    INGREDIENTS:

    * 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (or vanilla protein powder + 1 tbsp cocoa powder)
    * 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
    * 8 oz. water (or low-fat milk)
    * 3-5 ice cubes


    cheers!

  23. Quote Originally Posted by saalnaz View Post
    Fellas,

    is the following shake good for guys who want to gain weight but have a higher than average level of cholestrol?

    INGREDIENTS:

    * 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (or vanilla protein powder + 1 tbsp cocoa powder)
    * 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
    * 8 oz. water (or low-fat milk)
    * 3-5 ice cubes


    cheers!
    You don't seem to have many carbs/calories in there. Perhaps add a half cup of oats? Not only would you increase your carbs and your fiber but you would also help lower that higher than average level of cholesterol.
    Hope that helps.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

  24. Quote Originally Posted by bearmeat View Post
    Definitely make your own. There are ton of threads on shake recipes. This is the shake that I drink in the morning if you want to make your own. Please note however that I'm a hardgainer. I weigh about 160lbs and need 4000 calories per workout day and 3500 on nonworkout days to gain about 1lb a week. So you'll probably have to change the ratios to fit your caloric requirements.

    2 cups mixed berries
    1 cup raw oats
    1 scoop ON 100% Whey
    1/2 cup egg whites
    2 cups skim milk
    2 tbsp EVOO
    im assuming the whey is consumed for the protein part. what can I replace it with if i don't have access to ON whey?
  25. MTNMEDIC
    MTNMEDIC's Avatar

    If you're looking for the lowest in cholesterol it's going to be All the Whey,..8 grams per serving.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by MTNMEDIC View Post
    If you're looking for the lowest in cholesterol it's going to be All the Whey,..8 grams per serving.
    i started with meso tech (muscle tech) protein powder. im assuming it will not effect the cholestrol negatively if i train while consuming it. i do one hour weights a day while taking one serving of the muscle tech.

    i'm using a shake recipe prvided by bearmeat which i hope will be fine also.

    i actually use to recipes:

    recipe 1: one serving of meso tech
    2 spoons of EVOO
    1-2 spoons of pure honey
    1/2 cup of oats (is it enough?)
    2 cups of water
    2 egg whites

    recipe 2:

    one serving of meso tech
    one banana
    2 cups of low fat milk
    1/2 cup of oats

    just so i would mix it up i use to recipes with 2 different flavors (one is straberry tech and the other is chocolate tech)

    i do 1 hour a day as i mentioned and i was used to jogging (4-5 miles). shall i cut down on my jogging or shall i leave it as it is? i do less now (maybe 1-2 miles)

    heard of genisoy (soy protein powder) is it better than what i'm taking now for cholestrol control? or shall i stick with what I'm taking?

    Cheers!

  27. any comments on my last post?

    thanks,

  28. Most weight gainers are full of cholesterol and there is no way around it. There are 2 factors though: There are good cholesterols (which your body uses for lots of processes) and there are bad cholesterols, most of the weight gainers are not bad cholesterols. The biggest factor that saves us is that we are supposed to be drinking around a gallon of water a day, which by blood composition dilutes cholesterols, dextrose, and most other concentration based nutrients. So my advice is that you should use the products for your own purpose, but make sure you drink lots of water. I also recommend taking a break from supplements every so often to let your body normalize.

  29. some people take medications to counter the rise in cholestrol..



    in general it is known that the cholestrol medication is not a perfect solution to high cholestrol as it has some side effects but if you are also taking protein powders would it make it alot worse??

  30. Quote Originally Posted by saalnaz View Post
    some people take medications to counter the rise in cholestrol..



    in general it is known that the cholestrol medication is not a perfect solution to high cholestrol as it has some side effects but if you are also taking protein powders would it make it alot worse??
    Most high cholesterol meds like Lipitor or Crestor are virtually side effect free. They work remarkably well for most people. I would assume that most MD's would rather you cut your diet regiment of bulking foods then prescribe you meds to counteract it. Protein powders do contain large amounts of cholesterol, but taken in moderation 70% food proteins 30% protein powders and a gallon of water a day....you should be just fine.

  31. Why is everyone concerned with cholesterol in food?

    An egg has over 200mg of cholesterol.

    This is a non-issue.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. weight gainer, mammoth 2500 ???
    By logan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
  2. Cholesterol in Weight Gainers
    By jasonmichel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM
  3. A good weight gainer and protein powder
    By drei in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 10:36 PM
  4. Good Weight Gainer?
    By Kühn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:38 AM
  5. homemade weight gainers
    By iisahillbilly in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Log in
Log in