"Lean Bulking" Diet & Workout Advice Needed

YYZ94

Awards
Hey, new member here.... found this forum to be a really good resource so far thanks to the help you give everybody.

Anyway, I've been running/weight training for about a year now, and I feel like I need to step it up.

I'm 19 years old, 6'1", 160 lbs., and the (very crude) body fat calculators I have used have varied from 4.5-9%.

I don't consider myself to be very strong, I have a "soft" figure I guess you could say. Anyway, that's what I'm looking to change. I think I lost a lot of muscle mass the past 14 months (I lost 45 pounds over that span, most of it between June '05 and this past Winter).

The "lean bulk" seems like the best for me, although I've seen it called an oxymoron, inherently contradictory, etc... But as someone (accurately) wrote today, it's for the "college guy who wants to get stronger but not get to fat for the chicks." I couldn't fit that bill any more perfect.

Here's the diet I've figured, flame away:

(Cals/Fat/Carbs/Protein)

Morning meal 1: Brown sugar oatmeal, a few raisins, 1 cup OJ, 2 egg whites. (~400/2/59/30)
Afternoon meal 2 (pre-workout): 1 "George Foremaned" boneless chicken breast, 1 Gorton's Fish Filet, 1.5 servings frozen brocolli, 1 cup skim milk. (~400/3/15/50)
Afternoon Meal 2 (post-workout): 1 Gorton's Fish Filet, 1 Odwalla bar (should I step up to Super Protein even with Fish Filet?). (330/6/38/25)
Night Meal 1 (I am a waiter... not easy to get it in): Some sort of energy or protein bar.
Night Meal 2: Low-Fat Turkey and Fat-Free Italian dressing on Oat Bran or Pumpernickel (~300 cal... do not know rest).

Any guidance?

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I will give you a basic outline of what you need to do:
1.) Calculate BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- 1860.7cals
2.) Calculate energy expenditure based on activity level:
-1023cals (based on you being moderately active)
3.) ADD numbers 1 and 2
-2883cals (This is the amount of calories you need to maintain your bodyweight.)
4.) A basic 40/40/20 macro ratio should be fine for starters. This means 40% of your calories come from carbohydrates, 40% of your calories come from protein, and 20% of your calories come from fats.
Because you want to lean bulk, I would start off with 300-500 calories above your maintenance level, so lets use 3200 calories per day to lean bulk.
*carbohydrates provide 4 calories/g, protein provides 4 calories/g, and fat provides 9 calories/g.
So, after the math, your goals is to consume:
320g carbohydrates/320g protein/71g fat

This isn't set in stone, but offers a good guide.

Now, to critique your diet, use oats instead of packets of oatmeal. Eat two whole eggs instead of the two whites, and cut out the o.j. It looksl like you are eating aroudn 1700 calories a day. You need to basically double the amout of calories you eat. Get rid of the protien bars and replace them with whole food. I hope this helps, good luck.

RunMav

Awards
I'm also looking for a good bulking towards the end of the summer, but do not want to lose the abs, espeically with a few weeks still left for the beach :p

I'm just curious, what is the concept behind 40/40/20? Why 20% fats?

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Go for the lean bulk but I don't see many results coming out of it but more muscle tone. Fact is if you want to gain the muscle you gotta lose definition on the abs. It's just plain and simple like that when doing it naturally, as you should be doing it at your age. And not to mention at 160 and 6'1" you're pretty skinny. You might want to take up your calories even 1000 above maintenance. Esp. if you're not factoring in daily expenditure. Let's say you run 2.5 miles and then work out but only eat about 2200 calories. You're probably going to be around 600 calories in the hole. Which means you'll be losing. At your age and body type you should probably be pouding down the food and adjusting your intake based upon 3-4 weeks of how that particular diet affects your definition. Chances are if you're lifting heavy enough and intensely you shouldn't have to do much cardio to keep your abs. ESP at your age. Your metabolism is soooooo rapid.

BryanPDavis

Awards
I will give you a basic outline of what you need to do:
1.) Calculate BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
- 1860.7cals
2.) Calculate energy expenditure based on activity level:
-1023cals (based on you being moderately active)
3.) ADD numbers 1 and 2
-2883cals (This is the amount of calories you need to maintain your bodyweight.)
Where did you get the energy expenditure?

I'm 191lbs bulking up from 182lbs over 2.5 weeks. And I want to take more control over my diet. I've basically been living off of BSN True Mass Gainer/Lean Desert Protein/Steak/Brown Rice/Veggies/Milk/Eggs.