Having a shake during the night

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
does anyone set their alarm to have a shake in the middle of the night? ive heard some people do this and say it helps a lot. to me that sounds like its crossing the line but if it really helped enough im sure i would do it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe but my sleep is on the low end to begin with so I am not getting up in the middle to down a shake.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Maybe but my sleep is on the low end to begin with so I am not getting up in the middle to down a shake.
I'm with ya Jay, even when I do get alot of sleep I'm WAYY to lazy to get up!!!!

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
If you wake up for a piss during bulking, think nothing of maybe having a shake if you feel it necessary, but don't set an alarm to wake you through the night for it. Uninterrupted sleep is important.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most definitely if I wake up to drain the love dragon I just take some Casein and water, and eat it with half a whole grain bagel or so. I can fall back asleep pretty easy, so it's no biggie

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
be much easier to just have a nice prebed meal with some casein, cottage cheese, or anything along those lines. That coupled with deep restfull sleep would be better than every night making it a point to get up and down a shake.

but if your up might as well grab something or if you wake up hungry or something.. but I dont see that happening if you have a good pre bed meal.

B

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
be much easier to just have a nice prebed meal with some casein, cottage cheese, or anything along those lines. That coupled with deep restfull sleep would be better than every night making it a point to get up and down a shake.

but if your up might as well grab something or if you wake up hungry or something.. but I dont see that happening if you have a good pre bed meal.

right on bro

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

This is definitely true, except right now I am on cycle and eat a very thorough whole meal pre-bed and in the morning I am so hungry it feels like I am being stabbed.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
yea I was wondering about that half of a bagel in the middle of the night lol. Yea I know that feeling in the morning, not to the point of stabbing yet but sometimes Ill wake up with a growling stomach. I sorda like waking up feeling hungry, makes meal 1 easier to get down..

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh lord..For the past few days it has been ridiculous. I wake up in the morning and I am positive I have been in a coma for three weeks because I am so hungry I almost eat my gf whole.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I grab some oatmeal and CC during the night most nights - just whenever I happen to wake up. Throw it in the microwave, eat, and back into bed in 15 mins.

Weigh the pros and cons for your case. If you can still get an adequate night's rest then I say go for it; get to bed a bit sooner if you can to make time in the middle of the night. Four hours between meals is much better than eight IMO.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
There's no way I'm setting an alarm in the middle of REM to eat. If I happen to wake up, I'll have some skim milk and light string cheese or cottage cheese.

In mullet's case though, it might be worth a try if you can't eat any more before bed and messing up your sleep doesn't bother you.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel its vital to get a shake,or bar in when i get up to piss.I always have a few handfulls of unsalted peanuts too.I cant drink em with water though,thats f'in nasty.Skim milk all the way.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I read once that lactose from milk is absorbed even slower than oats. If that's true, it would be a great carb source for before bed.

A

auto_mail8939

Awards
I remember watching a talk show one night with Hilary Swank promoting the movie Million Dollar Baby--apparently she had to gain a lot of muscle fast before they started shooting. Her trainer had her get up in the middle of the night every night to guzzle a shake. I also remember she gained something like 20lbs of lean mass.

Not to say all of your bodybuiling info should come from Hollywood actresses, but I'm sure she had a pretty expensive (and knowledgable) personal trainer.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
This is definitely true, except right now I am on cycle and eat a very thorough whole meal pre-bed and in the morning I am so hungry it feels like I am being stabbed.
oddly enough the more i eat pre bed the hungrier i am when i wake up. you think the opposite would be true but i have gone to bed empty and hads trouble eating in the morn, maybe due to shrunk stomach?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember watching a talk show one night with Hilary Swank promoting the movie Million Dollar Baby--apparently she had to gain a lot of muscle fast before they started shooting. Her trainer had her get up in the middle of the night every night to guzzle a shake. I also remember she gained something like 20lbs of lean mass.

Not to say all of your bodybuiling info should come from Hollywood actresses, but I'm sure she had a pretty expensive (and knowledgable) personal trainer.
From now on i'm gonna train like Hilary swank.I knew there had to be an easier way.

A

anatolian

Awards
I have some bcaa's on my bedside table so when I get up to go to the bathroom I just swallow those with some water. Probably no help to you (I just realised this while typing) but I have noticed quite a few benefits since starting this.

M

Mess

Awards
  • Established
i drink a casien protien shake just right before i go to bed, its good for at least 4-6 hours when i'm sleeping