best carb sources

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
what are your favorite sources for complex carbs when bulking?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I practically live off of brown rice, but also oatmeal, brown rice pasta, sweet potatoes, some white potatoes, all bran. That's about it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oatmeal, bagels, All-Bran, Pitas, Whole Wheat Wraps, Vegetables, and Whole Wheat Pasta.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
fiber type cereal, oatmeal, pasta, wheat bread, and my staple food in life, a must have...white rice! yeah i know its not good compared to brown rice health wise but i have to. Brown rice sucks and im from Hawaii people here eat sticky white rice with anything.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
all-bran, oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheate bagels, Barilla-Plus (whoel wheat pasta with added flax and alot of protein), fiberouse veggies, whole wheat wraps/breads from Whole Foods or Trader Joes (trader joes in NYC if Im lucky as none around here), probably missing some but thats the bread (no pun intended) and butter of my carb sources

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I forgot salad, green beans, brocolli, asparagus, high fiber cereals, whole wheat bread, preferably with flax, whole wheat wraps.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I forgot salad, green beans, brocolli, asparagus, high fiber cereals, whole wheat bread, preferably with flax, whole wheat wraps.

I have just added in multigrain bagels and multigrain tortillas. Tast pretty good

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
whole wheat bagels, whole wheat tortillas and oats............bulking or cutting, only less when cutting. :D

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Whole Wheat bread, oats, salad, all sorts of green veggies. Pretty soon I am going to try whole wheat pasta and see if its any good.

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
i would say oats/brown rice/whole wheat pasta/kidney beans/red potato/sweet potato/fiberous cereal/pumpernickle rye bread/homemade pita chips/gotta go with the stick white rice also.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i would say oats/brown rice/whole wheat pasta/kidney beans/red potato/sweet potato/fiberous cereal/pumpernickle rye bread/homemade pita chips/gotta go with the stick white rice also.
alright!:thumbsup:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I thought whole wheat bagles, pasta etc were fairly high GI

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Oats, WW breads/pasta's, basmati rice, beans, fruits/berries, veggies and milk.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
basmati rice? what is that like taste wise? never heard of it...
Tastes awesome. It is a long grain white and has a lower GI than most brown rice. I get mine at Trader Joe's.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i wouldnt doubt if we even have any of that here in hawaii probably in some hole in the wall...i will look into it though

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
yeah i wouldnt doubt if we even have any of that here in hawaii probably in some hole in the wall...i will look into it though
You can find it. Try an Indian market or Asian.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Barley is about as low a GI carb you can find.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
does that mean beer is a good carb haha some beer is made from barley right?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Oats for breakfast

WW bread or bagel at meal 2

Barilla Plus pasta, brown rice, or just another ww bagel for PWO meal if I'm lazy.

I add a piece of fruit in there somewhere. Bananas and prunes are the easiest to deal with.

About 100g of carbs/day from skim milk.

I add some canned kidney beans, black beans, or pork&beans if I need more.

I usually like to have a large tupperware container full of either precooked rice or pasta in the fridge (or both).

Put either healthy italian dressing, pasta sauce, or cream of mushroom soup on the pasta. Put either soy sauce or bbq sauce on the rice. Nice quick meals.

Also the occasional ww low fat tortilla.

auto_mail8939

Awards
Check out the "flat out" lite brand wraps--the macros are amazing. I'd post em now but it's late and I'm lazy. Tons of dietary fiber though. And the taste is good, too.

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I'll definately second the Barilla Plus pasta...it can't be beat for a great complex carb/protein/good fat source. if you ever want to jazz it up a bit, use a Thai peanut sauce w/ it instead of the standard tomato sauce. It gives it rich flavor, more good fats and a whole new twist so it doesn't get boring.

About the Basmati rice, it's east Indian and it's white rice but it's aromatic so it smells really good and it's something different. A lot of times they'll have it at Indian restaurants w/ peas and bits of carrot thrown in. Pretty nice stuff for a little change up. Indian food is awesome and pretty healthy, btw.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i found a basmati blend at my grocery store it has carrots wildrice and a bunch of other dried veggies but i cant eat it without some kind of sauce like makrel or sardines with tomato sauce is good. or i throw in a cup of white rice....what can i say i love white rice! does anyone know if jasmine rice is low GI?