OMG am I on a DIRTY BULK?????

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I"ve gone up 10lbs but gained about 2%bf also at my weight that's about 3lbs so it's a 70/30 ratio of weight gain to body fat. AM i Dirty bulking?? Would you guys consider that too high a ratio. The only good thing is my waist has shrunk 1in by I know i'm not looking as hard everywhere else.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Dirty bulking is just when you eat a lot of crappy junk foods, assuming that isn't what you're doing I think your diet just needs changed to limit fat gain.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Post your diet and we'll tell you.

How the hell do u lose 1" off your waist and gain 2% bodyfat??? Seems like inconsistent bf% measuring.

Frank N Steroid

Awards
Mix in some cardio and maybe sesamin/camphibolic and that should hold off some fat.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with JB, it could be water retention, either way 10-3 is not bad.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post your diet and we'll tell you.

How the hell do u lose 1" off your waist and gain 2% bodyfat??? Seems like inconsistent bf% measuring.

ultra lipoderm = magic.

Well my diet now that I am bulking is approx 500 over maintenance bmr + daily activitivites so intake changes daily

Protein stay at 1.25-1.5 gms per body weight. Other than that I just eat to get enough calories lots of my calories if I am lacking for the day will come from eggs and peanut butter and honey sandwiches on wheat bread.

Today's menu looks like this. I just cook up my food for the day the night before and make sure I eat it all not in any specific order.

16oz fettuchini
1lb ground turkey
1lb smoked sausage
8 oz sauce

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cups cooked white rice
Here is my weakness ( 36-48 oz of Soda)

peanut butter on wheat crackers ( 2 packs)
I had a bag of m'ms (not normal was tired at work forgot my jet fuel)

Tonight will probally be 4-8 oz of steak some eggs or tuna depending on where my proteing for the day is. I havent' added everything into fitday yet so can't give a break down on macros.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ultra lipoderm = magic.

Well my diet now that I am bulking is approx 500 over maintenance bmr + daily activitivites so intake changes daily

Protein stay at 1.25-1.5 gms per body weight. Other than that I just eat to get enough calories lots of my calories if I am lacking for the day will come from eggs and peanut butter and honey sandwiches on wheat bread.

Today's menu looks like this. I just cook up my food for the day the night before and make sure I eat it all not in any specific order.

16oz fettuchini
1lb ground turkey
1lb smoked sausage
8 oz sauce

3 cups cooked white rice

Tonight will probally be 4-8 oz of steak some eggs or tuna depending on where my proteing for the day is. I havent' added everything into fitday yet so can't give a break down on macros.
Timing and meal breakdown in terms of placement is just as important as macro breakdown to stave off fat gain. By breaking up your meals into 6-8 smaller meals Mixed, you are giving your body a better chance to utilize those calories for muscle building and less to store in fat cells. A stable insulin/glycogen cycle throughout the day is what will allow you to maximize the amount of your anabolism and stave off fat gain.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ultra lipoderm = magic.

16oz fettuchini
1lb ground turkey
1lb smoked sausage
8 oz sauce

3 cups cooked white rice

I won't even touch most of the stuff you ate yesterday...I'd do a bit more research on healthier foods and listen to everything Mullet said. Consider throwing in some multi or whole-grain bread or bagels as a start and get rid of all the junk you're eating. Put everything into fitday and limit your fat to around 40-50g tops (really depends on your size, i know you're a short guy so it would probabaly be even less than this.) IMO, your fat intake is way too high.

IMO the fatloss measurement was still off...

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I won't even touch most of the stuff you ate yesterday...I'd do a bit more research on healthier foods and listen to everything Mullet said. Consider throwing in some multi or whole-grain bread or bagels as a start and get rid of all the junk you're eating. Put everything into fitday and limit your fat to around 40-50g tops (really depends on your size, i know you're a short guy so it would probabaly be even less than this.) IMO, your fat intake is way too high.

IMO the fatloss measurement was still off...
FAtloss could be off I am now using the accumeasure gold calipers I am new to them so I don't doubt it could be off.

so change the wheat bread to whole-grain bread? What else don't you like. I know the chickn breast and ground turkey should be ok. I think the fettucinni is low on the gi index for carbs. The sausage was high in fat content I know that. And I know the soda is real bad but it's my weakness and it doesn't have any fat. Would you take out the peanutbutter also I know that has alot of fat. Thanks for everyones input it really does help me. I have gone a little free on my diet since going on a bulk probablly need to reign it in a little I guess i was more worried about the total amount of calories?

I know you got alot better handle on diet than me so exactly what would be considered junk besides the soda and mm's I know that for sure?? As always thanks

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JBlaze again.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Calipers in my experience aren't always that great to use as you might accidently squeeze slightly less or more than previously giving a bad idea of bf%.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
FAtloss could be off I am now using the accumeasure gold calipers I am new to them so I don't doubt it could be off.

so change the wheat bread to whole-grain bread? What else don't you like. I know the chickn breast and ground turkey should be ok. I think the fettucinni is low on the gi index for carbs. The sausage was high in fat content I know that. And I know the soda is real bad but it's my weakness and it doesn't have any fat. Would you take out the peanutbutter also I know that has alot of fat. Thanks for everyones input it really does help me. I have gone a little free on my diet since going on a bulk probablly need to reign it in a little I guess i was more worried about the total amount of calories?

I know you got alot better handle on diet than me so exactly what would be considered junk besides the soda and mm's I know that for sure?? As always thanks

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JBlaze again.
Wheat bread often contains high-levels of glucose-fructose as a sweetening and holding agent. As J said, replace those with either flat breads or Whole Grain Bagels as most brands have little to no added sugar. Cut out the M n M's and Soda as well as the smoked sausage. There are much purer forms of protein out there. Breakdown those four larger meals into 6-8 smaller meals. As I said before when you intake food, mainly carbohydrates you cause an insulin and subsequent glucose partioning response. If you have sped your metabolism up so that you are constantly anabolic your body will divert that glucose into your muscles to be converted to glycogen. However, by eating bigger meals less often, your body takes what it needs for muscle-building and stores the rest in fat cells.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
is this true for wheat bread that is made of 100% whole wheat or stoneground wheat?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wheat bread often contains high-levels of glucose-fructose as a sweetening and holding agent. As J said, replace those with either flat breads or Whole Grain Bagels as most brands have little to no added sugar. Cut out the M n M's and Soda as well as the smoked sausage. There are much purer forms of protein out there. Breakdown those four larger meals into 6-8 smaller meals. As I said before when you intake food, mainly carbohydrates you cause an insulin and subsequent glucose partioning response. If you have sped your metabolism up so that you are constantly anabolic your body will divert that glucose into your muscles to be converted to glycogen. However, by eating bigger meals less often, your body takes what it needs for muscle-building and stores the rest in fat cells.

Thanks for the info on the wheat bread. I do break down the meals i eat every 2-2.5 accept on mma days there is a longer break as I don't eat to close to class and class itself goes 1.5-2hrs. The smoked sausage was on sale lol so that is easy to cut out and I will try mixing in diet soda. I'll pick up some whole grain bagels instead of my wheat bread. Thanks for all the help

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Calipers in my experience aren't always that great to use as you might accidently squeeze slightly less or more than previously giving a bad idea of bf%.

Yeah I know they aren't the best but at least these are the ones that beep which makes it a little easier to get the right measurements and I trust them more than the hand held machines.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I"ve gone up 10lbs but gained about 2%bf also at my weight that's about 3lbs so it's a 70/30 ratio of weight gain to body fat. AM i Dirty bulking?? Would you guys consider that too high a ratio. The only good thing is my waist has shrunk 1in by I know i'm not looking as hard everywhere else.
If your waist shrunk an inch, you're not gaining fat bud. Its water retention making u look soft.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Also, loose the white rice and switch to brown. Much better for you.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
is this true for wheat bread that is made of 100% whole wheat or stoneground wheat?
You dont want to buy wheat bread that says "enriched" otherwise you should be ok. Stoneground is a good option. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Wheat bread can be ok.
Just read the label - look for the first ingrediant. Should say whole wheat 100%.

JB - I thought enriched was basically the same as white bread and you wanted 100% whole wheat?!?!?!?!?
Anyway - I asked Bobo about this a long time ago. I'll have to see if I have the conversation somewhere...

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wheat bread can be ok.
Just read the label - look for the first ingrediant. Should say whole wheat 100%.

JB - I thought enriched was basically the same as white bread and you wanted 100% whole wheat?!?!?!?!?
Anyway - I asked Bobo about this a long time ago. I'll have to see if I have the conversation somewhere...
I was saying that you dont want bread that says "enriched", i'll go back and phrase it better...it does look a bit confusing.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was saying that you dont want bread that says "enriched", i'll go back and phrase it better...it does look a bit confusing.

my first ingredient says whole wheat flower? but on the bad itself it says 100% whole wheat bread is that ok?

HeIsLegend

Awards
hmm i always assumed wheat bread of any kind was ok. I guess I didnt know

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Some breads say whole wheat, but if it doesn't say 100% they sometimes blend the whole wheat flour with enriched wheat flour, taking some of the nutrients out.
100% whole wheat =a good thing.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I was less worried about the bread and more worried about practically everything else you were eating man.

Did you set up a fitday account yet?

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
What kind of soda is your vise? I keep coke zero for those cravings I just can't put off, empty nutrients and causes water retention but I rather suck down a coke zero then do something worse. Anyway if you haven't tried one, it tastes pretty close to Coke and it may help ween you off the soda. Of course, bulking you'd be better off drinking protien or something with some good calories, and of course water, water, and then some water.
Actually I just looked at a can and it's only got 40mg of sodium, scares me what might be in this stuff.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was less worried about the bread and more worried about practically everything else you were eating man.

Did you set up a fitday account yet?

Blaze yeah i've been on fitday since I was doing the cutting log. I was also questioning you said practically everything else most of my protein came from lean ground turkey and boneless skinless chickenbreast, then i had the fettuccini which is low on the glycemic index for carbs. Most of my fat content came from the peanut butter. The only real bad things I could come up with were the Soda, the smoked sausage which was on sale so I can easily change that for a can of tuna and the bag of m&m's which is not an everyday thing. Was there anything else besides the above three that really needed to be cut: Maybe the honey? I also alternate brown rice and white rice. My wife doesn't eat brown so on days she cooks i just eat white. As always thanks for the help.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Basso - Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper and Diet Raspberry Cream Dr. Pepper.

But - I LOVE Diet Code Red Mtn. Dew - but can't get it around here for some odd reason.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Blaze yeah i've been on fitday since I was doing the cutting log. I was also questioning you said practically everything else most of my protein came from lean ground turkey and boneless skinless chickenbreast, then i had the fettuccini which is low on the glycemic index for carbs. Most of my fat content came from the peanut butter. The only real bad things I could come up with were the Soda, the smoked sausage which was on sale so I can easily change that for a can of tuna and the bag of m&m's which is not an everyday thing. Was there anything else besides the above three that really needed to be cut: Maybe the honey? I also alternate brown rice and white rice. My wife doesn't eat brown so on days she cooks i just eat white. As always thanks for the help.
I think J was not only commenting on your actual choice of foods, but your meal breakdown. IMO, a well-constructed diet consists of 6-8 whole meals, each having a proper micro and macro nutrient breakdown. You had 4 meals listed, two of them being suspect. So, just to recap:

a)Drop the sausage
b)Brown rice
c)No more soda
d)Fuller, more complete meals
e)Whole grains-Low GI Carbs

I should mention that I am not patronizing you or trying to be condescending, and that definitely wasn't the tone I wrote this post in.

Just tryin to help

:D

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
If you can get a decent turkey sausage, it is a nice substitute for fatty pork sausage.

Be careful, though, because some turkey sausages aren't much better for you than regular sausages. Check the label.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think J was not only commenting on your actual choice of foods, but your meal breakdown. IMO, a well-constructed diet consists of 6-8 whole meals, each having a proper micro and macro nutrient breakdown. You had 4 meals listed, two of them being suspect. So, just to recap:

a)Drop the sausage
b)Brown rice
c)No more soda
d)Fuller, more complete meals
e)Whole grains-Low GI Carbs

I should mention that I am not patronizing you or trying to be condescending, and that definitely wasn't the tone I wrote this post in.

Just tryin to help

:D
Mullet don't worry I know your not trying to be condescending I also know I am still learning about proper diet etc so I take everything everybody says and try to learn from it and my mistakes. One of the reasons I ask all the questions on here is because I know I will get GREAT help and advice. I'm stil a little stuck in old school mentatility of BULK = EATING and a lot of my weight cutting is fighter/wrestler style so it's not all that healthy ( 12lbs in 36 hours stuff like that) So i am very glad there are so many people on here that help steer me the right way as far as nutrition etc.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok guys after approx 3 weeks on a dirty bulk I got myself back under control heres how my menu looks today

meal 1: ahi tuna fillet 1 cup brown rice
meal 2: 6 oz lean ground turkey 1 cup brown rice
snack Honey bunches of Oats cereal bar (not the greatest
but is satisys craving with only 3g fat and 1g of fiber)
meal 3: 6 oz lean ground turkey 1 cup brown rice
meal 4: multi grain bagel with blueberry cream cheese
meal 5 4 egg whites 2 whole eggs 1/2 cup brown rice
meal 6 4 oz lean ground turkey 1/2 brown rice.

I will be alternating between ground turkey and chicken most of the time and brown rice and wheat pasta. I will also be throwing in Red Meat several times a week because I believe BEEFY people eat BEEF. I find it Hard to really BULK on all poultry. My main goal for this Bulk is just to not get above 15.5% BF. I belive if I stay with in that range when I go back to the extra cardio I will be good I don't do BB competitions so 10-12% BF is good for me overall. I will be using tren and OT for my cut.
I guess I went a little overboard coming off a cutting diet. I will be doing cheat weekends. I think i need them when on a bulk for sanity purposes because when I cut I know I have to get alot more strict and I will be cutting towards the end of the year I have a comp in november.

Thanks for everyones help and input. Blaze, MUllet or others could you chime in on how the above menu looks.