Modifying My Diet To Bulk

precious_roy

Awards
I’ll give this one more shot since I did not receive any advice on the last diet. I have slightly modified my previous diet to try and get rid of shakes and whatever crappy food still remained. Listed below is the breakdown of my meals and attached is the fitday printout of the diet I have been using strictly for the last month. Apparently for myself this meal list is about maintainance, but I desire to modify this towards bulking.

The problems I have are
1. I only have 2 hours from time of last weight lifted to time I need to get to bed so eating post workout is a problem.
2. I Still I have 3 servings of protein from shakes which seems to be a little high.
3. Is the percentage of calories from fat too high?
4. If you have any ideas of foods or suggested calorie numbers for a bulk, feel free to add that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Meal 1
1 Cup Oats
1 Glass Milk
6 Egg Whites
2 Slices Multigrain Bread

Meal 2
1 Cup Cottage Cheese
1 Scoop Casein
1 Cup Spinach
1 Apple

Meal 3
1 Cup Tuna
5 Pieces Brocolli
1 Handfull Cashews

Meal 4
1 Whole Grain Tortilla
5 Slices Chicken Breast
5 Pieces Faux Chicken
1 Cup Brown Rice

Meal 5 (shake, 30 minutes post workout)
2 Scoops Whey
1 Cup Oats
1 Banana
2 Glass Milk

Meal 6 (1:30 post workout, :30 before bed)
4 Tbs Natural Peanut Butter
1 Cup Whole Grain Pasta
1 Glass Milk
1 Scoop Casein

Attachments

precious_roy

Awards
Apologies, I screwed up a bit. My milk intake is a bit more that I had punched into fitday. I have attached the newer file.

Again, thanks for any input that you have or any general knowledge you can provide me with.

Attachments

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
The overall cal intake looks good (depending on your stats).
Its a typical 40/40/20 diet (roughly). The fat intake looks good, as its coming from decent fat sources. The only thing I would change is the cashews to almonds, but cashews are not bad, just make sure they are unsalted.

precious_roy

Awards
The overall cal intake looks good (depending on your stats).
Its a typical 40/40/20 diet (roughly). The fat intake looks good, as its coming from decent fat sources. The only thing I would change is the cashews to almonds, but cashews are not bad, just make sure they are unsalted.
Great.

Well, I am naturally pretty lean but I did put on a few pounds when I did some crappy bulking earlier this year. I really would just like to eat healthier while putting on additional muscle. OBDW, I am 6'2", 200, ~13%bf at current. I am hoping to get to around 210 with a similar bf before I start cutting.

If I wanted to go higher calorie for a bulk, would you just up the serving size for the current foods?

Also whats the deal with almonds? Why would they be prefered to cashews? I don't really have any sort twisted attachment to cashews, I was just wondering.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
the almonds are healthier (in manys eyes the healthiest of them all, and there deliciouse)

The World's Healthiest Foods: Feeling Great

Only thing I would suggest would be adding in another cup of brocolli or something into either meal one or four just to get your veggie intake a bit higher

Canibalistic_js

Awards
Ok you want to bulk and your eating this well? Ok, when I was bulking I ate EVERYTHING, no diet regime I just made sure I ate enough protein.

Canibalistic_js

Awards
You gotta be kidding me. a Majority of bros had a similar philosophy and well, are pros be a little bit more open to other avenues their is more then one way to skin cat.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
You gotta be kidding me. a Majority of bros had a similar philosophy and well, are pros be a little bit more open to other avenues their is more then one way to skin cat.
More ingenious advice... stick to proposed I think you will do well.
cc

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, and there's many ways to get fat. Not having a meal plan is just stupid. Eating anything and everything may work while on cycle or if you have a super fast metabolism, but for most everyone else not on cycle, not going overboard is very important, even when bulking.

Canibalistic_js

Awards
I think minding moderation would be a more appropriate response but to each his own.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
are pros be a little bit more open to other avenues their is more then one way to skin cat.
what does that mean?

All I see in that response is a way to get no gains or very sloppy gains, but like you said eveyrone has their own way so have fun!

precious_roy

Awards
Excellent. I'll swap cashews with almonds.

the almonds are healthier (in manys eyes the healthiest of them all, and there deliciouse)

The World's Healthiest Foods: Feeling Great

Only thing I would suggest would be adding in another cup of brocolli or something into either meal one or four just to get your veggie intake a bit higher
I meant to put carrots with meal 4 so that would add another serving of vegtables.

Thanks for the help.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I would stick to broccoli, that just my opinion though. Don't listen to cannibal, that is just bad advice. "Eating everything and anything will most likely result in you eating lots of fats, high GI carbs, and poor sources of protein. You're diet looks great. Make sure to drink plenty of water...1.5-2.0 gallons a day.

precious_roy

Awards
I would stick to broccoli, that just my opinion though. Don't listen to cannibal, that is just bad advice. "Eating everything and anything will most likely result in you eating lots of fats, high GI carbs, and poor sources of protein. You're diet looks great. Make sure to drink plenty of water...1.5-2.0 gallons a day.
Ok, broccoli over the carrots. I just thought that I'd try and get a little variety. But then again I am drinking milk 3x a day and eating oats 2x so I shouldn't complain...I will take the voice of experience. Thanks.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
yea if possible go for the broccoli over the carrots (not that saying carrots are bad broccoli is just more beneficial)

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I think it's a great diet. The one thing that sticks out to me though is the peanut butter in your post workout meal. Having large amounts of fat near your workout is a big no-no. I realize it's right before bed, which is generally a good time to get your fat in, but in this case I don't think so. I can't say for sure about you, but I'm still very insulin sensitive 1 1/2hrs PWO.

I suggest skipping the PB and adding small amounts of fat to your first 3 meals. A little flax oil, fish oil caps, a whole egg or two for breakfast, walnuts, olive oil, etc.

precious_roy

Awards
I think it's a great diet. The one thing that sticks out to me though is the peanut butter in your post workout meal. Having large amounts of fat near your workout is a big no-no. I realize it's right before bed, which is generally a good time to get your fat in, but in this case I don't think so. I can't say for sure about you, but I'm still very insulin sensitive 1 1/2hrs PWO.

I suggest skipping the PB and adding small amounts of fat to your first 3 meals. A little flax oil, fish oil caps, a whole egg or two for breakfast, walnuts, olive oil, etc.
Actually I was worried about the same thing. That is what sucks about having to lift so late.

What I have started to do, since I wake up multiple times naturally, is eat the peanut butter literally in the middle of the night. I know most say that eating at night is bad because it disrupts your general sleep cycle but I'm up anyway; its not like I am setting my alarm or something.

At any rate, thanks for pointing that out. I think that I'll give this a run and see how it goes, then modify as needed. Actually I probably should modify it anyway since fish oil doesn’t fit in there anywhere. Well, there’s always room for improvement.

How long does a typical person remain insulin sensitive after their workout?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
That sounds fine man. As long as you gain weight w/out packing on a gut, don't worry about changing much.

How long does a typical person remain insulin sensitive after their workout?
Everyone is probably different. I can just tell that when I eat a good amount of carbs PWO (even 2hrs later) I tend to get a little sleepy, even with moderate-low GI carbs.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I didn't see are you on a cycle or bulking naturally?

precious_roy

Awards
I didn't see are you on a cycle or bulking naturally?
Naturally. I am trying to stay away from any hormone altering substances since I have low test anyway according to bloodwork.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Canibal,

I have a buddy that almost went pro, nowadays he runs large cycles and eats everything or anything he wants. He typical diet consist of McDonalds and Jamba Juice and Muscle Milk shakes. IMO his diet is absolute **** and in return he runs crazy cycle with a not so impressive physique. You have to be either dumb or crazy to believe Pros eat everything in site. That's just dumb. Powerlifters may.

4thAD

Awards
I’ll give this one more shot since I did not receive any advice on the last diet. I have slightly modified my previous diet to try and get rid of shakes and whatever crappy food still remained. Listed below is the breakdown of my meals and attached is the fitday printout of the diet I have been using strictly for the last month. Apparently for myself this meal list is about maintainance, but I desire to modify this towards bulking.

The problems I have are
1. I only have 2 hours from time of last weight lifted to time I need to get to bed so eating post workout is a problem.
2. I Still I have 3 servings of protein from shakes which seems to be a little high.
4. If you have any ideas of foods or suggested calorie numbers for a bulk, feel free to add that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Meal 1
1 Cup Oats
1 Glass Milk
6 Egg Whites

Meal 2
1 Cup Cottage Cheese
1 Scoop Casein
1 Cup Spinach
1 Apple

Meal 3
1 Cup Tuna
5 Pieces Brocolli
1 Handfull Cashews

Meal 4
1 Whole Grain Tortilla
5 Slices Chicken Breast
5 Pieces Faux Chicken
1 Cup Brown Rice

2 Scoops Whey
1 Cup Oats
1 Banana
2 Glass Milk

1 Cup Whole Grain Pasta
1 Glass Milk
1 Scoop Casein

where did you get the interface to outline your meals???

4thAD

Awards

The problems I have are

Thanks in advance.

Meal 1
1 Cup Oats
1 Glass Milk
6 Egg Whites

Meal 2
1 Cup Cottage Cheese
1 Scoop Casein
1 Cup Spinach
1 Apple

Meal 3
1 Cup Tuna
5 Pieces Brocolli
1 Handfull Cashews

Meal 4
1 Whole Grain Tortilla
5 Slices Chicken Breast
5 Pieces Faux Chicken
1 Cup Brown Rice

2 Scoops Whey
1 Cup Oats
1 Banana
2 Glass Milk

1 Cup Whole Grain Pasta
1 Glass Milk
1 Scoop Casein

where did you get the interface to outline your meals in the attached .jpg???

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Yes, that is fit day.

I can't say for sure about you, but I'm still very insulin sensitive 1 1/2hrs PWO.

What do you mean by this, sorry If I sound like a noob. Are you implying by this that insulin sensitive=bad time to eat fat? I am confused. lol

precious_roy

Awards
Yes, that is fit day.

What do you mean by this, sorry If I sound like a noob. Are you implying by this that insulin sensitive=bad time to eat fat? I am confused. lol
I am not TOTALLY knowledgable on the subject but I believe when you are insulin sensitive, calories are more likely to be stored as adipose tissue. This is why its best for a post workout meal(s) to be high in protein and carbohydrates but low in fat.

I think.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I am not TOTALLY knowledgable on the subject but I believe when you are insulin sensitive, calories are more likely to be stored as adipose tissue. This is why its best for a post workout meal(s) to be high in protein and carbohydrates but low in fat.

I think.
Yes. You're very insulin sensitive after your workout. When you eat a meal at this time, you'll get a spike in insulin levels. When insulin is released into the bloodstream, it shuttles carbs(glucose), amino acids(protein), and fats into cells. The carbs and protein are fine because your muscles need them, but the fats circulating in your blood will be shuttled into adipose tissue (bodyfat). That's why you want to avoid eating fats before, during, and directly after your workout.

Even though you are less insulin sensitive at other times of the day, you can still get big insulin spikes from eating/drinking large amounts of high GI carbs (sugar, white bread, etc). That's why you generally want to avoid high GI carbs. They cause insulin spikes, which in turn increases fat storage.

f18jock

f18jock

Awards
Roy,
Your diet looks pretty solid to me. In November I went on a bulking phase that lasted till February. I went from 185lbs at 10.5% to 215 at 12.3%. I was following a 40/40/20 diet. This was a 100% natural bulk. I'm 6'2" btw and a total ecto.

Carbs consisted almost entirely of brown rice and oats. Proteins were mostly the standard lean beef, chicken, and Tuna.

So if you ask me, your diet looks solid. As far as the postworkout/bedtime meal, your kinda stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. If thats the only time you can lift, thats just the way it has to be. Because of that, i wouldnt stress about it. Just concentrate on eating clean throughout the day and you should be ok. If anything, since it is pre-bedtime, you might think about increasing the protein to 50% for that meal.I would also do exactly what you are doing, and split it up between Whey ans Cassein to give you that fast acting protein for the post workout, and the slower cassein for while you are asleep.

Good luck and happy bulking.

BTW how did you configure FitDay on a bulking diet? I have the program as well, but when I try to set it up and tell it I want to gain weight, it wont let me do it. I have been using the outdated balance log instead because of this. Any help would be appreciated.

precious_roy

Awards
Roy,
Your diet looks pretty solid to me. In November I went on a bulking phase that lasted till February. I went from 185lbs at 10.5% to 215 at 12.3%. I was following a 40/40/20 diet. This was a 100% natural bulk. I'm 6'2" btw and a total ecto.

Carbs consisted almost entirely of brown rice and oats. Proteins were mostly the standard lean beef, chicken, and Tuna.

So if you ask me, your diet looks solid. As far as the postworkout/bedtime meal, your kinda stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. If thats the only time you can lift, thats just the way it has to be. Because of that, i wouldnt stress about it. Just concentrate on eating clean throughout the day and you should be ok. If anything, since it is pre-bedtime, you might think about increasing the protein to 50% for that meal.I would also do exactly what you are doing, and split it up between Whey ans Cassein to give you that fast acting protein for the post workout, and the slower cassein for while you are asleep.

Good luck and happy bulking.

BTW how did you configure FitDay on a bulking diet? I have the program as well, but when I try to set it up and tell it I want to gain weight, it wont let me do it. I have been using the outdated balance log instead because of this. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

It seems to be working well for me and the eating the peanut butter at night instead of post workout meal 2 also seems to be effective. Although I would rather eat the peanut butter with the milk because its easier...

Unfortunatly due to my work schedule that is the only time that I can lift. That was the first think that I tried to alter but to no avail.

About fitday; I am not sure what you are refering to. I don't have a copy of fitday, I just use the online version which doesn't customize diets. I entered in all the foods that I thought I should eat in a day and then tweaked the quantities until the macronutrient ratio came out the way I wanted. So I guess that isn't really a help to you. It would be cool if there were a 'bulking' button that I could hit and it would make a food list for me...

Sharia

Awards
Apologies, I screwed up a bit. My milk intake is a bit more that I had punched into fitday. I have attached the newer file.

Again, thanks for any input that you have or any general knowledge you can provide me with.
QUick question, with a bulking plan like this how long should a person bulk up? I am thinking of bulking up for two weeks. Is this too short of time or should I go longer or only one week?

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
I suggest trying 1 -2 months to add some serious bulk... can't put on much mass in only 2 weeks.

cc