cable's lean bulk!

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hey everyone, I just had a week off and now I'm ready to start hitting the gym hard again.

For the next 3-4 months I am going to bulk, and damnit I wanna do it right! So here is what I am thinking of eating:
35p/45c/20f totalling 3883 calories per day w/o days and ~3500 cals non w/o days.

Since I have a lot of time on my hands, this is what I've been doing for the past few months: Use the BMR calc and crap, tracking my cals (as usual) using fitday, and yet I haven't been gaining weight. That was at 2800 cals. So I bumped it to 3000, then to 3300, blah blah blah. Long story short, I'm finally gaining about a pound per week at 3700 calories per day. I will continue eating this much until I stop gaining a lb per week, and then bump up my cals again accordingly.

I'm looking to gain about 15 lbs over the next 3-4 months.

Attached is what my diet will look like. On non-workout days I will take out the oats from meal 5.

Attachments

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now for the questions:
Am I eating too much?
Am I eating too many carbs?
I get bloated very easily from eating a lot of carbs, so this is why I'm kind of wary of eating too many.

Currents Stats:
5'7.5, 163lbs

Cold

Awards
My only suggestion would be to add in some fruits and veggies. Berries, kiwis, apples, oranges, broccoli, lima beans, asparagus, etc. Other than that the diet looks good bro. Happy growing.:thumbsup:

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
I think the 35p/45c/20f is a really good ratio. You need the excess carbs to process that amount of protein to repair / build the muscle.

I also use Fitday to track my daily consumption and I have finally narrowed down a good 35p/45c/20f ratio as well.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks guys!
cold: great idea on the apples (why didn't I think of that!) and the asparagus, i really like it and its easy to eat.

ronin: reason I went with a 35/45/20 is because I'm very active outside of the gym so the carbs work well for me.

Also, at only 163lbs, 350g of protein is already over 2 times my bodyweight so I don't even know if my body can process all of it.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
There seems to be a ton of information and opinions out there regarding exactly how much protein a body builder really needs. Most of the internet sites that I have come across are pre-2003 data and some even pre-2000 data.

I know there is a risk that excess protein not utilized for repairing muscles can be stored as fat and therefore could lead to other complications especially if you are not drinking adequate amounts of water to help flush your system.

If you utilize the most common calculation for body builders of 2.0 g/kg of body weight and you weight 163lbs (divided by 2.2 = 74 kg) your protein intake should be around 148 grams.

Since protein has 4 calories per gram, then this amount of protein would comprise about 16 percent of your daily caloric intake of 3700 calories.

I don't know...... Seems a little low to me but I think 350 also seems a little high. I keep my protein intake between 250 and 275 but I am 5'9" and 175 right now. I have been consistent for about 3 weeks now and I haven't noticed much fat increase if any.

I guess the question is, what amount of protein is optimum for you giving your daily routine? I would suspect that it would take at least a few weeks of consistency to notice if your are building muscle vs. retaining fat in order to fine tune your ratio.

I apologize for the long winded response everyone but if anyone else with more knowledge and or experience (I am just a finance guy) can chime in and correct anything I have mentioned, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Atlas

Awards
Good luck cable, if you ever need any holla at me and thanks for the BDAY gift, I got it on Thursday morning! Much love to you bro! I just bought Chris Aceto's Championship bodybuilding and Everything You Need To Know About Fat Loss, so once I'm done I'll chime in in detail

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright guys, its been going good so far, it's been about 10 days.
I've put about 3lbs already, but after doing a bunch of research at pubmed and hypertrophy-research.com, I've decided to cut back my total protein intake. I honestly think I need about 500g of carbs per day with only around 250g protein. If all that's happening with my protein is glucogenesis then I'm just using protein as expensive carbs!

at 250g protein I will be getting 3.3g/kg of protein, compared to 4.4g/kg. It's still high from the research I've read, but we'll see how things go and make adjustments as time goes on.

Thanks Ronin for making me look all that up! :trout:

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to check in with you and see how it was going so far... any changes or thoughts????

Alright guys, its been going good so far, it's been about 10 days.
I've put about 3lbs already, but after doing a bunch of research at pubmed and hypertrophy-research.com, I've decided to cut back my total protein intake. I honestly think I need about 500g of carbs per day with only around 250g protein. If all that's happening with my protein is glucogenesis then I'm just using protein as expensive carbs!

at 250g protein I will be getting 3.3g/kg of protein, compared to 4.4g/kg. It's still high from the research I've read, but we'll see how things go and make adjustments as time goes on.

Thanks Ronin for making me look all that up! :trout:

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks ronin! yea I ended up getting some supps from USPLabs/Scivation that I'm logging in the supp log section.

It's going great. Only problem with my diet is that I always feel bloated, but I'm spending less money on my diet because carbs are cheaper than protein. Oh well it's a bulk I'll see how things pan out. I changed up my diet a little bit from above, mostly I'm using all oats for carbs, then next is pasta.

Check out my log btw, it's a crappy log so far but its only a few days in, I can't wait to see what happens in the end.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Checking it out now. Looking forward to the updates. Best of luck to you!