Calories Burned vs calories taken

xaktsaroth

Awards
Hi everybody, I am 29 years old and 172 lbs. (6ft tall) I want to bulk up and so am trying to eat up to 3000 calories a day. but according to fitday.com i am burning Total: 3065 calories
with a basal of 1857 and Lifestyle of 1207 and that is assuming 0 activities?. I know that this means that i am not eating enough. I just wanted to make sure that fitday.com is correct. thanks

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Hi everybody, I am 29 years old and 172 lbs. (6ft tall) I want to bulk up and so am trying to eat up to 3000 calories a day. but according to fitday.com i am burning Total: 3065 calories
with a basal of 1857 and Lifestyle of 1207 and that is assuming 0 activities?. I know that this means that i am not eating enough. I just wanted to make sure that fitday.com is correct. thanks
Wow how many calories do you eat when you are not bulking? I must me a pig because I'm cutting at the moment eating 2500 to 3000 cals a day, when I bulk I eat 5000 to 6000 no problem. Fitday seems to be a solid tool. How much protein are you intaking?

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
Actually, I would like to hear inputs on this also. I'm 5'10" about 178. Trying to put on weight since my hockey season is near its end. I just started using fitday and I took in about 3k calories yesterday with a 40/40/20 split. I hit 261g protein/ 314g carbs / 54g fat. How can you possibly take in more calories without eating junk? I was eating every 2 hours and a good amount of food. Unless I am underestimating my serving sizes and I actually took in more calories? Maybe I am missing something here? Anyone help us out here?

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Well I know it takes time to bump up cals, if you normally eat just say 2000 cals a day and you want to bulk up it will take time for you to be able to eat a lot more. My job is very physical so I have been eating a lot for years, my wife yells at me when I bulk because she says I'm going to eat us out of house and home. Just add extra amounts of food when you eat just start off small like a extra oz or 2 of chicken etc......

xaktsaroth

Awards
Well, I didnt know really but i think it would be aroung 2000 calories. I am in Japan now, so food sizes are different (really small) so maybe i got used to it. But since starting fitday. I am now calculating my daily food intake and have been bumping up my food intake. By the way, what is a good percentage for each? protein/fat/carb

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
if you are in japan, you must be working really odd hours. I hear you on the food sizes there, I hated it when I was there, I had no idea what I was eating. I am doing a 40/40/20 split. I am not sure whats best but I hear this is a good place to start and you can adjust from there.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually, I would like to hear inputs on this also. I'm 5'10" about 178. Trying to put on weight since my hockey season is near its end. I just started using fitday and I took in about 3k calories yesterday with a 40/40/20 split. I hit 261g protein/ 314g carbs / 54g fat. How can you possibly take in more calories without eating junk? I was eating every 2 hours and a good amount of food. Unless I am underestimating my serving sizes and I actually took in more calories? Maybe I am missing something here? Anyone help us out here?
Unless you are weighing and measuring your food I am willing to bet 95% of people under/over estimate the amount of calories they consume.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I am eyeballing it to the best of my ability. I know I am dead on with my shakes, chicken, tuna portions. its the portions of the dishes I make I am not so sure of. I know the nutritional value, just not so sure how much I am actually eating of it. I would hate for it to come down to actually weighing/measuring.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dishes?>

What is that?

Lol

A dish for me consists of:

12 oz cooked chicken
10oz cook yams

90 grams dry oatmeal
1 cup egg whites

10oz ground beef
8oz yams
1 cup green beans

If you want succeed in this game you need to know what you are putting in your body. To know what is going in your body you need to weigh and measure food.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
look like I am picking up a scale tonight :goodpost:
but by dish, I meant meal. Like to mix chicken in with vegetables, wheat pasta, etc.

xaktsaroth

Awards
I will also have to get a scale for that. 40/40/20 , protein/carb/fat. The fat content seem low? I have a hard time going lower than 25%. Food here is also expensive, LOL, but chicken breast is pretty cheap (compared to other types) around 3 dollars a kilo. (but beef hmm could go as high as 25 dollars for 100 grams).

I am a researcher, so working hours is not that bad.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I will also have to get a scale for that. 40/40/20 , protein/carb/fat. The fat content seem low? I have a hard time going lower than 25%. Food here is also expensive, LOL, but chicken breast is pretty cheap (compared to other types) around 3 dollars a kilo. (but beef hmm could go as high as 25 dollars for 100 grams).

I am a researcher, so working hours is not that bad.
the reason I mentioned about hours was that you posted around 2 pm here the other day which would make it 3am over there if I am not mistaken.

xaktsaroth

Awards
the reason I mentioned about hours was that you posted around 2 pm here the other day which would make it 3am over there if I am not mistaken.
LOL, well i just like to work at night (research work is easier at night) and i go to the academe so daily time record is not really needed.
By the way peter, how much calories are you taking in a day.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I'm aiming for 4k a day. I put in 3700 yesterday no problem. I can hit it but its not enough during hockey season to put on weight. When I play, I burn about 800 calories every time which is 3-4 times a week during season. Now that it ends this week, I am trying to put on around 10-15 lbs. We'll see if 4000 is going to be enough. I hit my 40/40/20 split on calories everyday though, so it seems like I knew what I was doing before I got on fitday, its just a matter of volume for me now. I was undereating before.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unless you are weighing and measuring your food I am willing to bet 95% of people under/over estimate the amount of calories they consume.
:goodpost:

You can start by eyeballing and guesstimating and see what your results are. However if they are not what you want then a set of measuring cups and a scale and referencing fitday or the USDA nutrient database is the only way you can be sure you are getting the necessary intake.

Since it usually takes 2-3 weeks to see how a diet is working IMO you may as well do it correctly from the start.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
well, I got a scale and have been measuring as of yesterday. I hit 3900 calories again so It looks like I was on target. Now to see what happens the next couple of weeks.