Post Workout Recovery

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.93%

Lightbulb Post Workout Recovery

Does anyone do anything extra after their workout? Anyone do the whole hot/cold pool thing to aid in recovery? How does your post routine work for you? Just wondering if there's anything I could be doing after my workouts to help in recovery.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.46%

You can try pressure massage on the muscles worked or a hot/cold shower to stimulate circulation or some low intensity cardio...like fast walking, etc. ..anything to keep blood moving...most importantly though will be your 2 post workout refeeds.
  3. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.05%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I have read studies, not sure how reputable by any means, that said something about a correlation between shock therapy (like ice cold bath right after lifting) and higher test levels, not sure how much higher as I no longer have my old laptop that had the two studies.

I play football D1 and can tell you it definitely is nice on the joints, etc. if you were to get in a cold pool. I am sure it would somewhat help in recovery just from keeping the swelling down, makes a big difference. Not to sure about getting in a hot pool afterwards, however, before lifting with the team here at FSU I always get in the hot pool for 10 mins. get stretched then go lift.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.75%

wait,what about a hot tub! I woudl think its relaxing so it means that your muscles recover quicker... but the cold shower thing makes sense too....
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

3 yrs before i started, i use to have multiple joint pains after lifting...the last 22 months, i've used ice wrapping after lifting on my elbows, shoulders,knees and wrist, and have had great results with no joint pain....+i havent changed any type of joint suppliment therapy over that time..so im guessing it's the ice wraps.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.87%

I usually jump almost straight into a hot jaccuzi then follow up with steam then sauna. I thought that would help because the warmth loosens the muscles a little. I may try a cold shower first then jumping in the pool before doing that then.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Extreme stretching? Might want to check that out. I'll probably get banned for brining up anything DC recommends though. Bobo, put on the rubber gloves at least!!!!!!!
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.5%

"post event" sports massage is awesome after a workout. No deep tissue right after the workout though... you want to relax the muscles so that they can recover. Contrast therapy (hot then cold) boosts your immune system, speeds recovery, gets nutrients flowing, etc. etc. You want to do like 3 minutes hot then 1 minute cold. Always end on cold. You can do this any time, not just after a workout.

Similar Forum Threads

1. LF Rec on new post workout recovery shake
    By delsolrob in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
  2. Post-Workout Recovery Drink, Waximaze or?.....
    By CaseyW in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
  3. Post workout/Recovery?
    By KillaK2010 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
  4. All New Recovery/Post-Workout Recovery Formula!!!
    By ScottyDoc in forum Finaflex-Redefine Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
  5. Post-Workout Recovery Meals
    By jjohn in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 01:24 PM