Slow Bulk Diet

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I've been out of the gym for a while due to an inflamed rotator cuff and starting my own business... but anyway, I'm back and I'm a little bothered by the fact that I lost over 10 pounds by being out for 2 months. So I'm trying to get my nutrition in check and I'd like to pass the basic diet structure I'm using past you guys.

6:30 AM
* Home Made Fruit Smoothie (Bananna, Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple, Strawberry, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, Honey, Hemp Protein, Rice Protein, Orange Juice, Pomegranite Juice, 2 tbsp Splenda) This has something like 8-10 grams of protein in it
* Whole grain bagel w/ large amount of PB and light honey (~10g protein)

9:00 AM
* 2x Hard Boiled Eggs
* 1x Banana

11:00 AM
* Pasta Bowl (Whole Grain Penne Noodles, Tomato Puree, Red Onions, Mushrooms, Whole Garlic, 0.4 Lbs Lean chicken or Turkey)
* Spinach and Broccoli Salad w/ Smart Balance "Butter" substitute

* Occasionally if I forget to make my pasta in advance I'll go to whatever fast food place I am feeling that day and get their chicken sandwich and a salad. This is at most 1 day a week.

1:00 PM
* Whole grain bagel w/ large amount of PB and light honey (~10g protein)

3:00 PM
* 2x Hard Boiled Eggs
* 1x Banana

4:30 PM
* 2x Hard Boiled Eggs
* 1x Banana

GYM @ 5:30 PM
* Gatorade / Syntrax Nectar / Creatine Mixture (~5g protein)

Driving Home at 6:30 PM
* 2 Scoops Whey protein (about 40 grams protein)

Dinner around 7:30 PM
This varies alot but I generally start with a base of whole grain rolls and either broccoli or brussel sprouts... then generally I'll have some sort of meat dish with it. I would estimate I eat 20-30 grams of protein here on an average day.

-----

I have tried to include a variety of fruits and vegetables in my diet and an absolute minimum of processed foods. The only concern I have is that I may have too many carbs and too little protein but I seem to be really tired with less carbs and more protein would probably move my calories to the "Jake gets fat" range.

Weekends I tend to get off schedule a bit but I strive to eat often and have quality foods much like the week. I tend to cheat on Saturday and have a pastry or something like that. I crave pastries like they are crack, especially cinnamon rolls.

have been known to be wrong and I'm open to suggestions or comments. Thanks all.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
IMO, I doubt another 25-50g of protein will make you fat. If something you're eating will make you fat, it's definately these:

Whole grain bagel w/ large amount of PB and light honey (~10g protein)

Whole grain bagel w/ large amount of PB and light honey (~10g protein)
That's a lot of carbs and a LOT of fat in the same meal, with little protein. In fact it's probably around 700 cals each w/ only 10g of protein. That would make ME fat. You need to either put the fats in Protein+Fat meals, or divide small amounts of healthy fat evenly throughout most of your meals(using walnuts, almonds, flax oil, fish oil, olive oil, etc). If you have to have a PB sandwich, I would have half a bagel w/ 1 serving or less of PB and a large amount of protein w/ it.

That's my suggestion. Hope it helps. :cheers:

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Moyer,

I forgot to mention that I do take fish oil. I use 4 caps daily, split into two servings throughout the day of Jarrow Max DHA fish oil (250 mg DHA / 36 mg EPA each).

I don't think I could live life without my bagel at 1:00 PM, it's my treat for the day. So I will try switching up my breakfast bagel for a bowl of Oatmeal with some protein and PB mixed in, something else I also enjoy very much that still has a fair profile.

I'll list the break downs below, as a note my breakfast and 1 PM bagels are different brands so they have different profiles. Seems that my initial estimate was low for their protein content.

PB and Honey Bagel (Breakfast):
560 cals
18 g protein
79 g carbs
18.5 g fat

PB and Honey Bagel (1:00 PM):
520 cals
17 g protein
76 g carbs
17 g fat

Oatmeal w/ Muscle Milk and PB:

524 cals
28 g protein
39 g carbs
28 g fat

So if I trade out my breakfast bagel I gain 10 more grams of protein, lose 40 grams of carbs, and gain almost 10 grams of fat and total calories go down a bit.

I should also ammend my dinner profile. It can actually vary from 20 to 60 grams depending on the day, usually 2 days a week I cook up a big ol' steak or some kind of meat and just have that with my rolls and veggies.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it this way for a while pending more suggestions.

PS: What would you think about changing out my last two eggs at 4:30 (about 16 grams of protein) for another whey shake with around 40 grams of protein?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I'd say that's a lot of whey. You're already getting 70+ grams from powders.

Are you lactose intolerant?

You should add up the cals from each of these meals. Also add up all the protein, carbs, and fat.

How much do you weigh?

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
Are you a student? ANy cardio? I'd get in one last shake before bed bro...what time do you crash? I have the same training regimine (time wise)

630 shake
730 oats and whey
830-900 Muscle milk and bed

at 170, forget AAS for now...u got too much room for growth!

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Moyer,

I'll get on that over the weekend and see what my totals come up to.

Definatly not lactose intolerant and I'm sitting at 178 pounds now in the morning. I was as high as 195 pounds with only slightly more BF percentage before my 2 month break.

Unfortunatly for me my left shoulder still gives me problems so using heavy weights isn't an option on alot of exercises. That may present a problem for adding my size back. I'm going to look into getting another MRI and potentially getting some surgery.

JKurz1,

Nope, I'm not a student anymore. I just bring a big lunch box to work. I'm on my feet and walking around all day for 8 hours.

I tend to go to bed around 9 or 10, no later than that and sometimes earlier.

I used to do a shake at night but that just seemed to pack on pounds in the wrong places (especially Muscle Milk). I might add I was 220 pounds of fat kid when I was 16 years old. Obesity runs very strongly in my family.

Also, I haven't started back on cardio yet. I plan to do that starting next week.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
If you like it, I'd add a lot of fat free or low fat dairy to your diet. That's the easiest way I get in a lot of my protein while keeping fat low.

Skim milk, dry skim milk, sliced ff american or swiss, ff cottage cheese, ff yogurt, low fat string cheese, etc.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I was more concerned with that morning meal. A bagel has anywhere from 50-60g of carbohydrates, then you have that smoothie! I am not sure how much of the fruits you are putting in your smoothie but that meal definitely looks like 120 grams of carbs. That is quite a bit for one meal. And yes the other honey+bagel meals look sorta high too especially if you are trying to do a lean bulk.

As Moyer said low or nonfat dairy is a great way to get protein. Add skim to that protein shake (start off with 2 cups worth). PB isn't all that bad for you but it does have a lot of fat on it so again watch how much you add on there (not really sure what you are trying to accomplish overall, as in what are your goals).

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
Nah....eat up! Better to have excess cals, then not enough....you can always cut when the time comes!

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Diet has been revised starting today to include more protein, thoughts on this configuration?

* Home Made Fruit Smoothie (Bananna, Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple, Strawberry, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, Kiwi, Raw Honey, Hemp Protein, Rice Protein, Syntrax Nectar, Orange Juice, Pomegranite Juice, 2 tbsp Splenda)
* 4x Extra Large Egg Whites, 2x Yolks
* 2x Fresh Sausages (no MSG)

* 2x XL Hard Boiled Eggs (Only eat 1/2 of a yolk)
* 1x Banana

* 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 scoop Muscle Milk and 2 TBSP Peanut Butter
* Spinach and Broccoli salad w/ Smart Balance butter substitute

* Whole grain bagel w/ large amount of PB and light honey (17g protein)

* Lean Hamburger Patty on Merita "Light" Bun

* 1x Banana

* 2 Scoops Whey protein (about 40 grams protein)

Dinner around 7:30 - 8 PM
* 2x Lean Hamburger Patties on Merita "Light" Bun
* Glass of 1% Milk
* Some days I will add veggies (broccoli or brussel sprouts usually)

Since I changed it up I don't have the macro breakdown on this revision. But I'll get cracking on that tomorrow! I definatly want to keep the smoothie for breakfast... it's pretty much the ONLY way I'll ever be able to get that much whole fruit in my diet. Considering the massive amount of fiber it has I don't think the carbs are quite as high as one might think, also keep in mind I have 3 scoops of protein in there too.

* My eggs are the "range fed organic" type. They have a different nutritional label than normal eggs.
* I use grapeseed oil to fry my breakfast eggs and sausage as well as my hamuburger patties

psulifter

psulifter

Awards
Consider either adding dextrose or ground oats or a combo of both to your post workout shake. You don't really eat any carbs between your workout and bed. The carbs from gatorade during your workout would be better used to replenish glycogen in a post workout drink. Unless, you really feel like you need gatorade during your workout, I would drop it in place of 40g of ground oats in a PWO shake.
Also, consider something like Sesathin and a couple cardio sessions a week that would allow you increase your cals a bit without gaining any additional fat. If I were you, I would double my fish oil intake because it is such a nice fat source and has so many health benefits.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Ratios are in (CALS / Protein / Carbs / Fat) format

* Home Made Fruit Smoothie (Bananna, Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple, Strawberry, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, Kiwi, Raw Honey, Hemp Protein, Rice Protein, Syntrax Nectar, Orange Juice, Pomegranite Juice, 2 tbsp Splenda)
* 2x Fresh Sausages (no MSG)
(~900 cals / 57 g / 94 g / 35 g)

* 1x Banana
(~200 cals / 12 g / 32 g / 3 g)

* 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 scoop Muscle Milk and 2 TBSP Peanut Butter
* Spinach and Broccoli salad w/ Smart Balance butter substitute (my calculation assigns no macro value to the veggies)
(~600 cals / 28 g / 39 g / 28 g)

* Whole grain bagel w/ large amount of PB and light honey
(~520 cals / 17 g / 76 g / 17 g)
--- I am starting to think this is not correct... it does not feel at all like 520 calories in my stomach. I need to measure the amount of PB I'm putting on here. I am assuming 2 TBSP for this calculation.

(~240 cals / 26 g / 0 g / 28 g)

* 1x Banana
(~200 cals / 12 g / 32 g / 3 g)

(~170 cals / 5 g / 38 g / 0 g)

* 2 Scoops Whey protein
(~180 cals / 35 g / 4 g / 3 g)

* 2x Lean Hamburger Patties on Merita "Light" Bun
* Glass of 1% Milk
* Some days I will add veggies w/ Smart Balance (again, veggies not assigned macros; SB butter is)
(~ 680 cals / 64 g / 42 g / 30 g)

TOTALS:
(~3690 / 256 g / 357 g / 147 g)

The shake didn't have nearly as many carbs as suspected. As close as I could calculate it has 440 calories, 90g carbs, and 23g of protein. It has a TON of fiber too so this could throw things off. I did not subtract fiber cals from carbs, so carbs are a bit lower than the total shows.

So, how does that look overall? After 3 days on this I have seen no change in my weight, which is a good sign since I don't want to gain weight very fast. I feel great eating this diet, lots of energy to spare.

----

psulifter,

I used to do a carb shake PWO but I found that I am sensitive to weight gain with carbs at night time. I am coming from being a very overweight kid with a history of obesity in my family as well as diabetes.

I try to keep all my carbs fairly low GI because of this except DURING exercise -- the only exception is possibly my bagel, but I think the fat from the PB lowers the GI significantly.

I feel that 70 grams of carbs from 4:30 - 6:30 should take care of most of my carb needs, and my dinner does have more carbs than suspected weighing in with 42 grams of carbs. Do you agree with this in light of my more specific figures?

psulifter

psulifter

Awards
Yeah, I see what you're saying, and if you were cutting I would agree. However, you are bulking...Carbs that would otherwise be used to fuel growth are being funneled into glycogen formation post workout, as the body will attempt to top of glycogen stores before it will think about making new muscle. Even though you said you have a history of being overweight, I think you should add something, perhaps a baked sweet potato or a cup of brown rice, that has a substantial amount of carbs with your dinner/PWO meal.

edit: just noticed the buns w/ the burgers...are they whole wheat? I generally try to stay away from bread products in th evening. I worked a job this summer where my best option was to eat a sandwich around 6:30 and 10pm, and I feel that was responsible for a good bit of fat gain. In short, no more bread for me after 5pm-ish.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I see what you're saying, and if you were cutting I would agree. However, you are bulking...Carbs that would otherwise be used to fuel growth are being funneled into glycogen formation post workout, as the body will attempt to top of glycogen stores before it will think about making new muscle. Even though you said you have a history of being overweight, I think you should add something, perhaps a baked sweet potato or a cup of brown rice, that has a substantial amount of carbs with your dinner/PWO meal.

edit: just noticed the buns w/ the burgers...are they whole wheat? I generally try to stay away from bread products in th evening. I worked a job this summer where my best option was to eat a sandwich around 6:30 and 10pm, and I feel that was responsible for a good bit of fat gain. In short, no more bread for me after 5pm-ish.
I may go for some Rice Oligodextrin in my shake for the drive home. It has a GI very close to zero, so it shouldn't have that much of an effect on me as far as my sensitivity to high GI carbs.

As for the bun, it is whole wheat with 5 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, and 20 grams of carbs. I messed up with my 3:00 total for some reason... Instead of 28 grams of fat there it's 20 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fat. Woops!

I seem to have screwed up on my totals... I think I need to go through this again, I posted this past my normal bed time!

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
BRO - TRY a high gi carb pw and see how it effects you...once you do it, you wont go back....hell, i consume 50g of dext precontest....u need it!

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
BRO - TRY a high gi carb pw and see how it effects you...once you do it, you wont go back....hell, i consume 50g of dext precontest....u need it!
I love high-GI post-workout too. I know a lot of people are all about low-GI post around here, but really for me it's no contest.

psulifter

psulifter

Awards
I seem to have screwed up on my totals... I think I need to go through this again, I posted this past my normal bed time!
If you don't already, try logging your diet in a computer program like Fitday.com. I use a DietAnalysis Plus b/c i had to buy it for a nutrition class. It makes keeping track of cals and macros sooooo much easier. I do it on daily basis, it only takes about 10mins max, and I find it helps me focus on my diet more, especially since I am currently cutting.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Alright fellas. I decided to go for it and add more carbs PWO. So I am now downing a banana along with my whey on my drive home. A banana has a lower GI than typical white bread, but should ilicit some of the desired insulin response and is very convenient and cheap so it should work nicely.

psulifter

psulifter

Awards
Nah, stick w/ the banana...there aren't enough carbs in it to do any damage anyway. The sucrose will be broken down into glucose and fructose anyway in the SI. I really don't see the problem.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
Nah, stick w/ the banana...there aren't enough carbs in it to do any damage anyway. The sucrose will be broken down into glucose and fructose anyway in the SI. I really don't see the problem.
:wtf:

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
It's either a banana or a powder for me since I have an hour long drive home after the gym. Gym is right by where I work which is a 60 minute commute from home. So I have to eat it while I'm driving, a self contained food like a banana or a powder in my shake would be my only option.

I really don't want something super high GI like Malto or Dextrose. I've used them before PWO and received no benefit and gained a few pounds of fat. So it's either banana or Rice Oligodextrin (GI darn near zero).

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
This is what I used to do until I started working out at home. Styrofoam cup and a plastic spoon. Oats already in the cup mixed with splenda.

At the end of the workout I would just add water from my water jug and eat it on the way home.

CROWLER

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
* Home Made Fruit Smoothie (Bananna, Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple, Strawberry, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, Kiwi, Raw Honey, Hemp Protein, Rice Protein, Syntrax Nectar, Orange Juice, Pomegranite Juice, 2 tbsp Splenda) (440 / 23 / 90 / 2 )
* 4x Extra Large Egg Whites, 2x Yolks (275 / 26 / 4 / 17 )
* 2x Fresh Sausages (no MSG) (170 / 8 / 0 / 16)
(885 cals / 57 g / 94 g / 35 g)

* 2x XL Hard Boiled Eggs (Only eat 1/2 of a yolk) (75 / 11 / 0 / 3 )
* 1x Banana (125 / 1 / 32 /1 )
(200 cals / 12 g / 32 g / 4 g)

* 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 scoop Muscle Milk and 2 TBSP Peanut Butter (525 / 28 / 39 / 28 )
* Spinach and Broccoli salad w/ Smart Balance butter substitute (my calculation assigns no macro value to the veggies) (80 / 0 / 0 / 9)
(605 cals / 28 g / 39 g / 37 g)

(240 cals / 26 g / 20 g / 8 g)

(200 cals / 12 g / 32 g / 3 g)

(170 cals / 5 g / 38 g / 0 g)

* 2 Scoops Whey protein (180 cals / 35 g / 4 g / 3 g)
(305 / 36 / 36 / 4)

* 2x Lean Hamburger Patties on Merita "Light" Bun (400 / 48 / 20 / 16)
* Glass of 1% Milk (200 / 16 / 22 / 5)
* Some days I will add veggies w/ Smart Balance (again, veggies not assigned macros; SB butter is)
(80 / 0 / 0 / 9)
( 680 cals / 64 g / 42 g / 30 g)

TOTALS:

(3525 / 266 / 353 / 129 )

Okay, so I fixed my totals and adjusted it a little bit. I sucked it up and removed my bagel in exchange for another lean hamburger. I am considering my Oatmeal w/ MM and PB my treat meal since I do love to eat it so much!

My dinner has been varying widely as well, the dinner I posted is indicitive of the macros I shoot for. Try to get a good chunk of meat some some good low GI carbs with a glass of milk.

Progress is good so far... I'm up around ~1.5 pounds or so at this point which is what I was hoping for.

My strength is going back up and I have thusfar avoiding aggrivating my rotator cuffs, so that is definatly a good thing!

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
* Home Made Fruit Smoothie (Bananna, Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple, Strawberry, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, Kiwi, Raw Honey, Hemp Protein, Rice Protein, Syntrax Nectar, Orange Juice, Pomegranite Juice, 2 tbsp Splenda) (440 / 23 / 90 / 2 )
* 4x Extra Large Egg Whites, 2x Yolks (275 / 26 / 4 / 17 )
* 2x Fresh Sausages (no MSG) (170 / 8 / 0 / 16)
(885 cals / 57 g / 94 g / 35 g)

(200 cals / 12 g / 32 g / 4 g)

* 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 scoop Muscle Milk and 2 TBSP Peanut Butter (525 / 28 / 39 / 28 )
* Spinach and Broccoli salad w/ Smart Balance butter substitute (my calculation assigns no macro value to the veggies) (80 / 0 / 0 / 9)
(605 cals / 28 g / 39 g / 37 g)

(200 cals / 12 g / 32 g / 3 g)

(170 cals / 5 g / 38 g / 0 g)

* 2 Scoops Whey protein (180 cals / 35 g / 4 g / 3 g)
(305 / 36 / 36 / 4)

* 2x Lean Hamburger Patties on Merita "Light" Bun (400 / 48 / 20 / 16)
* Glass of 1% Milk (200 / 16 / 22 / 5)
(80 / 0 / 0 / 9)
( 680 cals / 64 g / 42 g / 30 g)

TOTALS:

(3525 / 266 / 353 / 129 )

Okay, so I fixed my totals and adjusted it a little bit. I sucked it up and removed my bagel in exchange for another lean hamburger. I am considering my Oatmeal w/ MM and PB my treat meal since I do love to eat it so much!

My dinner has been varying widely as well, the dinner I posted is indicitive of the macros I shoot for. Try to get a good chunk of meat some some good low GI carbs with a glass of milk.

Progress is good so far... I'm up around ~1.5 pounds or so at this point which is what I was hoping for.

My strength is going back up and I have thusfar avoiding aggrivating my rotator cuffs, so that is definatly a good thing!
crank up the cals dude....no more 1/2 of anything....all 1 cups.....also, get a prebed mm shake in too!

psulifter

psulifter

Awards
crank up the cals dude....no more 1/2 of anything....all 1 cups.....also, get a prebed mm shake in too!
Depending on your bed time, I would try to get some type of protein and fat combo right before bed. I like cottage cheese and peanut butter myself. I have never had muscle milk, so I can't comment on it...You may want to look into a caesin product such as Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide or Syntrax Matrix 5.0, but I don't think the Matrix is very good quality, however inexpensive it might be.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
My bed time is no later than 10 PM, and alot of times I am in bed by 9 PM (like I will be tonight).

I may go with a small caseine shake before bed... I used to do this but haven't it quite some time. I would get a custom mixture from Protein Factory of Whey, Casein, Egg, and Milk Proteins.

PS: Syntrax Matrix 5.0 made me crap hardcore unless I combined it with Bromelain supplementation. Not even Wal-Mart WPC made me crap that bad. It is also around 80% whey from what I understand.

JKurz1,

I'll keep that in mind, but I am gaining right around the most one can gain as far as lean muscle goes per week at ~0.75 lbs per week so far. Even that probably isn't totally lean.

I will follow your suggestions but ease into it over the coming weeks as my weight goes up... for instance I'll put a bit more oats in each day until I hit 1 full cup and up my egg intake at work over time.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
UPDATE:

As of today it looks like I am up 3 pounds in 3 weeks for a total weight of 181 pounds. So it looks like I'm sitting at exactly 1 pound per week on average.

This may be a little fast for me due to my ability to quickly gain fat so I'm adding in a bit more cardio 3 days per week on average. I'd like to keep it a bit under a pound per week (hence the title of SLOW bulk diet).

Thanks for all the tips so far guys! I suppose I'll turn this into a log and see where I go.

On that note I've been putting alot of effort into grip power lately. I managed the following on deads with no lifting straps today:

225 x 10
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3

Not too shabby. It's ALOT less than I was doing before my time off... but I weighed over 190 pounds then and I was using straps to get as high as a 1RM of 545 pounds. I'd like to work back up there without straps!

Thats it for todays update... it's bed time for me.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
My weight has leveled at 181 pounds since my last update.

But it seems that something is going right as I managed a non-straps dead-lift of 495 pounds today. Just chalked up my hands and went at it. Pulled it with almost no issue, save that I tore a hunk of skin off my left palm.

My diet has been pretty close to my posted regimen. A few changes this week:

1) Slightly larger burgers (hand crafted patties rather than pre-shaped)
2) Up to 3/4 cup oatmeal with 3 tbsp peanut butter at lunch

I'm going to up to a full cup of Oatmeal and may try replacing my 4:30 banana with a bagel w/ PB on it if that is insufficient to put my caloric level over the edge.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
I am up another pound to 182 pounds as of this morning.

I've changed a few more things:

1) I made my own rolls for the burgers from hemp flour, flax meal, whole grain flour, and oat bran flour, grapeseed oil, splenda, and a bit of honey.

2) Up to 1 full cup of Oatmeal at lunch

3)
Added Metamucil to my morning fruit shake and a dosage at night. The huge amount of protein dense foods was backing me up a bit despite my huge fiber intake. Taking Metamucil has completely fixed this issue.

Strength continues to rise as I go along here. Very satisfied with the results so far.

I am going to double the protein content of the morning shake and decrease the carbs a little bit once my next shipment of hemp and rice protein powder arrives later this week.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
very cool, another advanced cook! makin' your own bread...premo!

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Up to 183 pounds as of today. I have gained 5 pounds so far on my bulk in about 7 weeks giving me a bit under 3/4 of a pound per week -- right on target with my goals for a slow bulk.

This is my scheduled off-week so I don't expect to exceed 183 pounds this week. I do not have the calories from my Gatorade or PWO shake and I tend to decrease my dinner slightly when I'm off.

A few dietary changes:

1)
I changed my PWO shake. I included 1/2 cup of oats ground up in a coffee grinder to replace the banana.
2) I nearly doubled the protein content of my morning fruit shake.
3) I added 15 grams of rice protein concentrate to my lunch time oatmeal / muscle milk / PB meal... decreased PB back to 2 TBSP and decreased the amount of oatmeal slightly to about 3/4 of a cup.

I have not totally re-done my macros or exactly calculated anything but my protein intake should be in excess of 300 grams daily at this point.

I also started taking USP Labs Symmetry at 2 caps / twice per day (4 caps ED) while I'm off as of yesterday. Once I go back to the gym next week I'll be trying the 6 caps ED (2 / 4 caps) dosage schedule.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for my HUGE lack of updates.

Weight is up to 187 pounds now. My total gain is now 9 pounds.

A few changes:

* 93% Lean Ground Beef Patty

* 4x XL Hard Boiled Egg Whites, 1 Yolk
* 2 Scoops MHP "Up Your Mass" Shake

* 1 cup oatmeal w/ 1 scoop Muscle Milk, 15g Rice Protein, and 2 TBSP Peanut Butter
* Spinach and Broccoli salad w/ Smart Balance butter substitute

* 93% Lean Hamburger Patty on Merita "Light" Bun OR Home-Made Hemp based bread if I have the time

* 2x XL hard Boiled Egg Whites
* 2 Scoops MHP "Up Your Mass" Shake

* 3 Scoops MHP "Up Your Mass" Shake
((( 2 scoops for cardio days )))

((( NOT USED ON CARDIO DAYS )))

* Custom PWO Shake: 50% Whey, 40% Low GI Rice Oligodextrin, 10% High GI Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup
((( NOT USED ON CARDIO DAYS )))

* Varies dramatically but I aim for 40+ grams of protein and not a whole lot of carbs, usually all relatively low GI and I generally have a glass of milk with it and as many vegetables and possibe.

-----

I have not done the calculations for all of this but results are coming, as I am up to 187 pounds without any additional fat gain.

I have also changed my lifting and exercise routine to include biking 4 days a week during my lunch break and 2 days per week in the gym of 12 minute High Intesity Interval Training.

My 3-day per week routine is full body each day using mostly compound or semi-compound exercises (I will do standing movements over seated so my core has to work). Some don't favor this style of lifting but since starting it I feel very good about it.

-----

Some will criticize me for having too much powdered "food" in there but I think the change is for the better in this case. The MHP shake has great low GI carbs as well as good fats. The protein matrix is a little bit of a downer with the soy but I haven't had any issues with it. It's a really easy way for me to get the ratios I need and the only pre-fab "gainer" powder I will touch.

I also added a dose of digestive enzymes with each meal to help me with my feeling of being bloated.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
Alrighty. Bulk is over with a 9 pound gain. My stomach is getting out of control... unfortunatly lean gaining is NOT my forte and I just can't keep the stomach under control when I have enough calories to gain weight.

Calories are going down slowly over the next few weeks and I have added Ergopharm AMP to my supplement regimen. Seems to quell my appetite a LITTLE bit, although nothing really does it for me -- I have the immortal appetite.

A few dietary changes worth mention:

* Very low carbs before my first cardio session of the day (I ride my bike at lunch break 4 days a week). I have some carbs from a glass of milk with breakfast and some from 1 scoop of "Up Your Mass" gainer powder. I have moved my fruit shake to pre-workout to better utilize the carbs.

May or may not start a new cutting log, we'll see how it goes :)