Slow Bulk Diet
- 03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
As of today it looks like I am up 3 pounds in 3 weeks for a total weight of 181 pounds. So it looks like I'm sitting at exactly 1 pound per week on average.
This may be a little fast for me due to my ability to quickly gain fat so I'm adding in a bit more cardio 3 days per week on average. I'd like to keep it a bit under a pound per week (hence the title of SLOW bulk diet).
Thanks for all the tips so far guys! I suppose I'll turn this into a log and see where I go.
On that note I've been putting alot of effort into grip power lately. I managed the following on deads with no lifting straps today:
225 x 10
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3
Not too shabby. It's ALOT less than I was doing before my time off... but I weighed over 190 pounds then and I was using straps to get as high as a 1RM of 545 pounds. I'd like to work back up there without straps!
Thats it for todays update... it's bed time for me.
- 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
My weight has leveled at 181 pounds since my last update.
But it seems that something is going right as I managed a non-straps dead-lift of 495 pounds today. Just chalked up my hands and went at it. Pulled it with almost no issue, save that I tore a hunk of skin off my left palm.
My diet has been pretty close to my posted regimen. A few changes this week:
1) Slightly larger burgers (hand crafted patties rather than pre-shaped)
2) Up to 3/4 cup oatmeal with 3 tbsp peanut butter at lunch
I'm going to up to a full cup of Oatmeal and may try replacing my 4:30 banana with a bagel w/ PB on it if that is insufficient to put my caloric level over the edge.
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I am up another pound to 182 pounds as of this morning.
I've changed a few more things:
1) I made my own rolls for the burgers from hemp flour, flax meal, whole grain flour, and oat bran flour, grapeseed oil, splenda, and a bit of honey.
2) Up to 1 full cup of Oatmeal at lunch
3) Added Metamucil to my morning fruit shake and a dosage at night. The huge amount of protein dense foods was backing me up a bit despite my huge fiber intake. Taking Metamucil has completely fixed this issue.
Strength continues to rise as I go along here. Very satisfied with the results so far.
I am going to double the protein content of the morning shake and decrease the carbs a little bit once my next shipment of hemp and rice protein powder arrives later this week.
03-13-2006, 10:35 PM
03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Up to 183 pounds as of today. I have gained 5 pounds so far on my bulk in about 7 weeks giving me a bit under 3/4 of a pound per week -- right on target with my goals for a slow bulk.
This is my scheduled off-week so I don't expect to exceed 183 pounds this week. I do not have the calories from my Gatorade or PWO shake and I tend to decrease my dinner slightly when I'm off.
A few dietary changes:
1) I changed my PWO shake. I included 1/2 cup of oats ground up in a coffee grinder to replace the banana.
2) I nearly doubled the protein content of my morning fruit shake.
3) I added 15 grams of rice protein concentrate to my lunch time oatmeal / muscle milk / PB meal... decreased PB back to 2 TBSP and decreased the amount of oatmeal slightly to about 3/4 of a cup.
I have not totally re-done my macros or exactly calculated anything but my protein intake should be in excess of 300 grams daily at this point.
I also started taking USP Labs Symmetry at 2 caps / twice per day (4 caps ED) while I'm off as of yesterday. Once I go back to the gym next week I'll be trying the 6 caps ED (2 / 4 caps) dosage schedule.
05-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry for my HUGE lack of updates.
Weight is up to 187 pounds now. My total gain is now 9 pounds.
A few changes:
* Home Made Fruit Smoothie (Bananna, Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple, Strawberry, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, Kiwi, Raw Honey, Hemp Protein, Rice Protein, Syntrax Nectar, Orange Juice, Pomegranite Juice, 2 tbsp Splenda)
* 4x Extra Large Egg Whites, 2x Yolks
* 93% Lean Ground Beef Patty
* 4x XL Hard Boiled Egg Whites, 1 Yolk
* 2 Scoops MHP "Up Your Mass" Shake
* 1 cup oatmeal w/ 1 scoop Muscle Milk, 15g Rice Protein, and 2 TBSP Peanut Butter
* Spinach and Broccoli salad w/ Smart Balance butter substitute
* 93% Lean Hamburger Patty on Merita "Light" Bun OR Home-Made Hemp based bread if I have the time
* 2x XL hard Boiled Egg Whites
* 2 Scoops MHP "Up Your Mass" Shake
* 3 Scoops MHP "Up Your Mass" Shake
((( 2 scoops for cardio days )))
GYM @ 5:30 PM
* Gatorade / Syntrax Nectar / Creatine Mixture (~5g protein)
((( NOT USED ON CARDIO DAYS )))
Driving Home at 6:30 PM
* Custom PWO Shake: 50% Whey, 40% Low GI Rice Oligodextrin, 10% High GI Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup
((( NOT USED ON CARDIO DAYS )))
Dinner around 7:30 - 8 PM
* Varies dramatically but I aim for 40+ grams of protein and not a whole lot of carbs, usually all relatively low GI and I generally have a glass of milk with it and as many vegetables and possibe.
I have not done the calculations for all of this but results are coming, as I am up to 187 pounds without any additional fat gain.
I have also changed my lifting and exercise routine to include biking 4 days a week during my lunch break and 2 days per week in the gym of 12 minute High Intesity Interval Training.
My 3-day per week routine is full body each day using mostly compound or semi-compound exercises (I will do standing movements over seated so my core has to work). Some don't favor this style of lifting but since starting it I feel very good about it.
Some will criticize me for having too much powdered "food" in there but I think the change is for the better in this case. The MHP shake has great low GI carbs as well as good fats. The protein matrix is a little bit of a downer with the soy but I haven't had any issues with it. It's a really easy way for me to get the ratios I need and the only pre-fab "gainer" powder I will touch.
I also added a dose of digestive enzymes with each meal to help me with my feeling of being bloated.
05-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Alrighty. Bulk is over with a 9 pound gain. My stomach is getting out of control... unfortunatly lean gaining is NOT my forte and I just can't keep the stomach under control when I have enough calories to gain weight.
Calories are going down slowly over the next few weeks and I have added Ergopharm AMP to my supplement regimen. Seems to quell my appetite a LITTLE bit, although nothing really does it for me -- I have the immortal appetite.
A few dietary changes worth mention:
* Very low carbs before my first cardio session of the day (I ride my bike at lunch break 4 days a week). I have some carbs from a glass of milk with breakfast and some from 1 scoop of "Up Your Mass" gainer powder. I have moved my fruit shake to pre-workout to better utilize the carbs.
May or may not start a new cutting log, we'll see how it goes
Similar Forum Threads
- By Blazer88 in forum Weight LossReplies: 15Last Post: 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
- By ATH3386 in forum BulkingReplies: 5Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:14 AM
- By conversekidz in forum Weight LossReplies: 15Last Post: 04-04-2003, 02:12 AM
- By wu36 in forum Weight LossReplies: 1Last Post: 03-12-2003, 04:59 PM
- By txwakeskater in forum Weight LossReplies: 44Last Post: 02-07-2003, 12:24 PM