What form of protein before bed?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would it be better to use powders or whole foods. If powders what kind would be the best Isolate, Concentrate, Micellar Casein, Casien.

The reason I am questioning whole food is that I read an article on sleep and it says to avoid a heavy meal before bed. Plus eating a any kind of meat right before bed is hard to do.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
I've always consumed the following shake before bed:

1/2 cup oats
6oz yogurt
8oz milk
70cc protein blend (80% MPI, 20% Egg)
some kind of fruit
ice

Works well for me and easy to put down...

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
whole food are always better .. but casein isn't too bad

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I consume a mixture of cottage cheese (1% and dry mixed together) along with either yoghurt, whey, flax oil, natural peanut butter, etc. depending on my current goals.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
whole food are always better .. but casein isn't too bad
Plus you won't have to take that 4 AM visit to the bathroom to piss it out.

As for me, I rotate cottage cheese and micellar matrix shakes.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
My bedtime meal:

1/2 cup FF Cottage Cheese w/ Cinnamon & Splenda 80/13/5/0
1 stick Light String Cheese 60/9/0/2
1/4 cup Walnuts 200/5/3/19
1 cup Skim Milk 90/9/13/0
Total: 430/36/21/21

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I make myself a salad, usually with:

Lettuce
1 can Chunk Light Tuna
1/2 cup FF cottage cheese
olive oil/vinegar

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
If you have to have a shake, I would use cassein in skim milk. If you can handle something a little heavier, cottage cheese or any kind of lean meat is probably better for slow protein absorption.

Kina Mutai

Awards
New to the forum. This looks like great information you guys are posting! Wish I'd found this forum before. Will try some of the above.

Rock

Awards
I usually go with 6 egg whites and a glass of skim milk, maybe a few almonds too.

whale

Awards
See if this helps hope so.
Types of protein and functions:

Whey Protein Whey is the top of the pile when it comes to protein, the most popular and the most used among the proteins; 3 factors are the cause of this- affordability, effectivness and advertisment. Whey protein is a derivitive of milk and a byproduct of cheese making. When cheese is created, the milk is curdled, parting the curds and the WHEY. Remember the nursery ryme?
Benefits of whey-
*Contains a large quanity of immunoglobin protein which has the ability of enhancing the immune system
*Contains the highest concentration of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)
*Contains endogenous- most poerful, naturally occuring antioxidant
* Ability to stimulate production of IGF-1 (Insulin like Growth Factor)
*Whey is fast aborbing, quick to the muscle protein, this is why whey is so popular post workout, your body needs protein to begin repair to damaged muscles from workout as quick as possible.

Casein Protein -Forms a gel once in the digestive track/stomach to help regulate time releasing of protein. Derived from milk. This "slowing" effect aids greatly in the absorbtion of amino acids (a good thing)
Benefits:
*Time released to provide the muscles with amino acids for an extended period of time
*A large content of glutamine a muscle sparing amino acid
*Contains glucogeni amino acids which have been proven to defer muscle breakdown when exercising.

Milk-Protein Isolate - A combination of whey and casein protein, not much research has been done on this protein, but consumption of it is considered positive because of the contents of both casein and whey.

Soy Protein - Derived from plants and has never been a large part of bodybuilding. Soy protein is approximatley 70% actual protein and is considered inferior compared to whey and casein. There is a soy protein isolate out on the market and new studies have shown that this protein is very solid in the bodybuilding world
Benefits
*Boasts a high concentration of BCAAs
*Includes amounts of glutamine
*Proven to have a positive impact on the production of T-4 and T- 3 and even insulin over the various types of other proteins.
*Helps retention of nitrogen on a small scale and promotes fatloss during low caloric diets.
* Lowering of triglycerides and cholesterol
*Recommended dosages are 4 servings a day at 6.25 grams per serving.

Egg Protein - Once deemed the "golden standard" of proteins, while this reputation has faded a bit, never count out this old school protein. Derived from...you guessed it...eggs
Benefits
*Illustrious amino acid profile
*Provides a complete protein source
*Conveinet and can be used in the making of baked goods, etc.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey Whale,

Sometimes I mix whey with my oatmeal. I pour near boiling water into the oatmeal/whey concoction. Do you think water around 200F is hot enough to denature the whey?

Just picked up some egg protein to make a protein cheesecake :thumbsup:

whale

Awards
There is no real unwriten rule about whey breaking down. I can say the htter it gets the less stable the aminos will be. With that being said I doubt seriously that decent(not even good) quality whey will not break down at that temp. Nor will you loose the properties you are trying to get out of it. In all safeness I would still let it cool a bit prior to adding maybe just to a warm, but if time is that important is should not hurt you at all. One other thing if you are one of the people that nuke your oatmeal instead of heating water then adding it do not add whey prior to this it will possibly denature the protein.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks whale.

I boil water and then mix it up. Time is usually a bit of a concern, and I mix the protein and oatmeal before adding water. Works much better.