Pre workout and Post workout Shake Question? - AnabolicMinds.com

Pre workout and Post workout Shake Question?

1. New Member
    Answers

Pre workout and Post workout Shake Question?

Hey all, i have just beendoing alot of research on which is the best way to build muscle and replace gylcogen usage after workout. (When trying to bulk that is)

Right now my pre workout shake is 40gm of Whey/20gm of Dextrose.

And my post workou shake is 40gm of Whey/40gm of Dextrose.

Alot of research has been showing me that alot of people are doing post workout as 40gm of Whey with 1 cup of rolled oats..

Can i get some feedback on this.. I have been researching that the whey with oats is a much better post workout meal than whey with dextrose...

Another thing that confuses me is who do u mix whey with OATS?? Or does everyone just nuke 1cup of oats separately?

Appreicate all the feedbak possible...

2. New Member
    Answers

I add the oats raw. If you mix in a blender you will get a better consistancy. A mixer for coffee beans works really well especially if you are using Irish Oats. If bulking I like a 2:1 ratio
  3. New Member
    Answers

I grind 1 cup of raw oats and add to my PWO shake otherwise the oats just sit at the bottom.
    •   

4. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

The thing I don't get is why I would maintain a good, strict, healthy diet and right when my body goes through a stressfull workout slam a bunch of simple sugar? If it's not good for you any other part of the day why drink it PWO? Just sayin
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

How much do u weigh?
    No matter which carb u choose I would definately take advantage of increased nutrient uptake post workout. I've seen the best results with 80-120g (I like 120g when bulking) carbs post workout. It really feeds what u just beat up in the gym.
    Oh..and the coffee grinder thing works well if you choose oats.
  6. Senior Member
    Answers

After you blend your oats and whey, just use a bottle with a top on it, so you can shake up the oats in between sips.
  7. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    The thing I don't get is why I would maintain a good, strict, healthy diet and right when my body goes through a stressfull workout slam a bunch of simple sugar? If it's not good for you any other part of the day why drink it PWO? Just sayin
  8. Maestro
    Answers

Blending is messy, time consuming and the oats absorb water making the shake a bit too thick/foamy. I'd like to present an alternative that has been working great for me.

I keep my oats in a seperate container that I take with me to the gym. After a work out, I take a big bite of the raw, dry oats, drink a little bit of my whey shake and chew. Just enough to make it easy to swallow. After 5 oversized and heaping (equalivent to 1.5 servings total, or about 40g of carbs) spoonfuls, I'm done with the oats and I finish drinking my protein shake.

I also mix a bunch of cinnamon into my oats for flavoring and because research shows that it reduces overall blood sugar, and increases insulin sensitivty amongst other things which further helps the uptake of this post workout drink/meal combo.

I feel that this lets me get away with slightly less than a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs (40g carbs, 50g whey) and maintain roughly the same uptake without bloating me up or making me full. This is important to me because I then have a big serving of meat (steak or chicken) with raw veggies when I get home 10 minutes later.

-Blesum
  9. New Member
    Answers

this is just my experience and by no means the ideal way to do things.

my pre w/o changes but i usually get approx. 40g P/100g C

during w/o i drink BCAA's(20g or so) w/about 20g dextrose.

post w/o: milk/whey/oats

approx. 50g P/100g C

that's 1.5 cups skim milk, 1.5-2 scoops whey, 1 cup steel cut oats,

i put the post w/o shake:milk/whey first, shake.

then....add 1 cup oats(600 cals/100 carbs)

shake up....start to drink....i'll hold the bottle to my mouth upside down and let alot of oats come into my mouth....chew and/OR swallow. these are raw and steel cut.

good stuff.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
    #1. Because right after you workout you're muscles are at their pinnacle of insulin sensitivity. No other time in the day or night will you be as your muscles be so insulin sensitive as immediately PWO.

#2. You eat a high glycemic carb because high glycemic carbs release a ton of insulin. Insulin forces carbs, aminos into the muscle. You see how number #1 and #2 are working together so far.

BRIEF OVERVIEW
    Muscles are ultra insulin sensitive right after a workout. Which means your muscles are ultra receptive of nutrients. The most receptive they'll be the entire day until your next PWO.

You spike your insulin release with high glyemic carbs to exploit the "short" window of insulin sensitivity. High glycemic carbs release insulin, combining high GC and protein releases even more protein. Combining high GC/Protein/Leucine, EVEN MORE insulin release.

#3. This window of insulin sensitivity only lasts about 1 hour to an hour and a half post exercise. So you need fast digesting carbs, which is where the high glycemic comes in handy versus a low glycemic carb which is slow digesting.

#4. No matter what perfect combination/ratio, nutrient value whatever portion of food you eat at any other time of the day. It will not have the same anabolic benefit as taking in those nutrients immediately PWO.

#5. You diet all day with brown rice, oats, whole grain, low glycemic carbs for the sake of not spiking my insulin so I don't retain fat. True. However, back to #1. Your ultra insulin sensitive state will have your muscles eating it all up, plus you go into a fat oxidation state from doing this that I won't get into right now because I originally wanted to keep it to 3 points and I'm already at 5.

Spiking insulin is the bodybuilders enemy (in general), but a bodybuilders best friend PWO, due to the insulin sensitive state a stressful workout creates.
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

RESEARCH ARTICLE
    Hyperinsulinaemia, hyperaminoacidaemia and post-exercise muscle anabolism: the search for the optimal recovery drink

http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/40/11/900

This is very informative about post exercise drinks
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. New Member
    Answers

i used to use dextrose but now only use bananas for fast and sustained energy.will be trying oats in the optimum nutrition 100% oats and whey.your body might be more sensitive post workout but you still get the crash associated with high gi carbs,this equals fat gain and catabolism
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  124 lbs.
    Answers

Isn't this why whole foods should be consumed within 30-60 min after the PWO shake with high GI carbs? to prevent the crash later and still allow the insulin spike?
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

good ideas
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andhen2003 View Post
    what's the logic w eating them raw? does it help w protein digestion because of the fiber?

I personally eat raw oats because I can eat more then when they are cooked. All I do is grind up a bunch of oats into powder, that I can easily mix into my protein shakes.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NPursuit View Post
    After you blend your oats and whey, just use a bottle with a top on it, so you can shake up the oats in between sips.
    Awesome, that's how I do it.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by djdan View Post
    i used to use dextrose but now only use bananas for fast and sustained energy.will be trying oats in the optimum nutrition 100% oats and whey.your body might be more sensitive post workout but you still get the crash associated with high gi carbs,this equals fat gain and catabolism
    Not necessarily bro. Your body will use up the dextrose right away, and as long a your pwo shake has protein it will not cause catabolism.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    #1. Because right after you workout you're muscles are at their pinnacle of insulin sensitivity. No other time in the day or night will you be as your muscles be so insulin sensitive as immediately PWO.

#2. You eat a high glycemic carb because high glycemic carbs release a ton of insulin. Insulin forces carbs, aminos into the muscle. You see how number #1 and #2 are working together so far.

BRIEF OVERVIEW
    Muscles are ultra insulin sensitive right after a workout. Which means your muscles are ultra receptive of nutrients. The most receptive they'll be the entire day until your next PWO.

You spike your insulin release with high glyemic carbs to exploit the "short" window of insulin sensitivity. High glycemic carbs release insulin, combining high GC and protein releases even more protein. Combining high GC/Protein/Leucine, EVEN MORE insulin release.

#3. This window of insulin sensitivity only lasts about 1 hour to an hour and a half post exercise. So you need fast digesting carbs, which is where the high glycemic comes in handy versus a low glycemic carb which is slow digesting.

#4. No matter what perfect combination/ratio, nutrient value whatever portion of food you eat at any other time of the day. It will not have the same anabolic benefit as taking in those nutrients immediately PWO.

#5. You diet all day with brown rice, oats, whole grain, low glycemic carbs for the sake of not spiking my insulin so I don't retain fat. True. However, back to #1. Your ultra insulin sensitive state will have your muscles eating it all up, plus you go into a fat oxidation state from doing this that I won't get into right now because I originally wanted to keep it to 3 points and I'm already at 5.

Spiking insulin is the bodybuilders enemy (in general), but a bodybuilders best friend PWO, due to the insulin sensitive state a stressful workout creates.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pre, Intra, and Post workout Nutrition
    By rockme in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
  2. Post your pre and post-workout shakes!
    By BB Ambitious in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 03:46 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 10:23 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 05:04 PM