Abandon bulk??

BigDick

Awards
It appears I've fucked up this bulking even before it began. I started my bulk at about a little < 15% bodyfat or so, probably a little too high to bulk... rather than structuring a diet, I tried to just focus on eating "clean". Unfortunately that was sort of hard around exams and have gained a LOT of fat over the last week or so.

Should I abandon this bulk, go back to cutting until I'm lower bf%, and try again to bulk clean? Or just keep going and try to minimize the fat intake?

Stavross

Stavross

Board Supporter
Awards
I've been in your situation mate, it sucks. I found that if i eat enough to maintain my weight, keep protien high and sugars low and train hard i can gain muscle while lossing fat. it is a slower process but satisfying to see the definition come out.
Don't avoid fat, you need it to build muscle just try to get it from good scources like fish, eggs, olive oil etc.

hope it goes well for ya'
stavross

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm getting to the point now where I just think it's retarded to even bulk or cut. I've tried bulking all out and cutting all out, and I seriously didn't notice a 1% bodyfat difference in the times I've bulked / cut all out, and the times I have just said "I need to lose some fat, I think I'll run - or, I need to get big, I think I'll switch up my routine." All this bulk / cut, bulk / cut **** is just starting to get on my nerves :aargh:

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
i agree with magickk...i think the best solution is to just go with the flow honestly.

I try to keep a clean strict diet but 1 or 2 times a week i will binge on something. As far as training goes i train heavy and light depending on the exercise with variable reps just to build mass...but lean mass. I've been doing this for the past 6 months and I seem to like it MUCH MUCH more then "bulking" or "cutting" Plus instead of the yo-yo look I tend to stay pretty lean year round.

regards,
COTC

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I really beleive now that true bodybuilders don't "bulk." Bulking is so old school and the extra fat you carry doesn't help you put on any more muscle than you would without the fat. It's also a lot more of a hassle come contest or vacation time to get rid of a few pounds of fat in the weeks prior. I'm still eating very clean since I got off my contest diet but to have a small treat a few times a week (small brownie, nutri grain bar etc etc) that way I dont have a cheat meal or day one day out of the week and still manage to keep my bf reasonable. I'm going to start adding max-ot cardio into my routine starting January so that'll help keep my metabolism from dying on me also. The trick is to manipulate your diet in a way that allows you to put on muscle but keep fat to a minimum. I've been experimenting with a 10 days on 3 days off system with my carbs switching my starchy carbs w/ veggies and that seems to help greatly.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree with not overdoing the bulk. If you want to gain, do it cleanly, and increase gradually. Bulking doesn't mean chinese/mexican fiesta every night. The same goes for cutting. Don't cut too drastically, and every 8 weeks or so, increase cals for a bit to give yourself a psych break and to recharge the would be ailing metabolic hormones.