Potassium

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I myself, Ryansm and others have discussed potassium intake for BP issues.

I have been researching potassium dosage and intake. It seems that although a sudden dose of 14 G of potassium may be enough to kill some smaller people who have been accustomed to very low intake for a long time, there is almost no limit to how much of it one might be able to ingest safely. Magnesium intake should also be very good, otherwise the potassium can't be used.

Here's something : http://www.mindfully.org/Water/2004/Dietary-Water-Intake11feb04.htm

BIGAINS

Awards
That statement is bullshit, if you ingest too much potasium you will have an electrolyte imbalance and you will die, what doy you think is in the last tube of a lethal injection. There is no way you can ingest too much potasium from natural sources, but you can ingest too much from artificial sources.

charger

Banned
Awards
i've noticed thatmy gains we getting slow. So I checked out my diet and nutrition. I wasn't eating very many foods that had potassium. I was also getting forearm muscle cramps.

So I now take a few tabs each day. Still nothing more than the RDA level. Too much can kill you. Just don't know what the level is for an active 2XXlb meathead?????

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Yeh too much can kill you. Small people on potassium-deficient diets have died from as "little" as 14 GRAMS of K IN A SINGLE DOSE.

So to anyone who says potassium is dangerous, I'll point out that so is anything else. Ryansm has used 10 GRAMS a day while on androgens and I've used 6 grams a day without a trace of a problem. Ryan is about 330lbs and I am 230lbs. So basically you can take a large amount, no problem, just dose gradually and ramp your dosages to see how you react, just like anything else. IMO I can do 10 grams a day without any problems whatsoever. I actually once took 20 grams at once by accident and felt weak the whole day...

Anyways, way before the heart stops, the blood pressure drops lower and lower. When you're taking K to lower your blood pressure, you stop when it gets to normal, don't you?

So that post above is total crap.

TKE-PBOY

Banned
Awards
I normally used potassium gluconate, but there is many forms such as citrate and aspartate. So which one are guys talking about? or it does'nt matters which to use.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't matter one bit, but potassium chloride is about $3 for 300g. That's way cheaper than anything else IMO.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use kchl, but I try to limit the amount, because chloride is not something I want to ingest at high amounts. The citrate and gluconate forms are good, and so are any natural sources.

The thing with K is to find out how much you really need. If your BP is fine, and you are not having any issues with electrolyte imbalances, then really you should stick to getting the amount from natural sources. I myself ramp up the amount during hormonal use to keep anxiety, and bp at bay. Other than that I keep it somewhat low at 2-5grams daily, depending on the day, and how I feel.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Depending on my level of activity and androgen use, I use between 2-4 grams a day. I don't have a huge need for it, but I can sure tell a difference when I don't. I rarely ever get a hamstring cramp now. When doing heavy lifts I feel much more able to do the weight with a degree of insurance.IE BP remains stable that kind of thing.

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
Hey Grunt... anyway I could get your source for the K Hcl? ... waaaay cheaper than K Gluconate

-Moose

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but keep it hush-hush. It's "grocery store". The product goes under the name "NoSalt". I'm in Canada though, so that same product might not be available in the USA.

Seriously, any good grocery store or health-food store should have a "low-sodium salt substitute" which is always potassium chloride. It's usually found in the spices section or near the salt. Which is usually near the spices section. :)

Now I'm wondering why ryan wants to avoid chlorine? What's bad about it?

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I eat a couple bananas as part of my daily meal. After a wrokout and while "ON" I add an extra banana and a magnesium and calcium tab. Though I guess for cutting you might not want that many calories.

hmmm all the potassium tabs I see in my local health food store are 99mg.

Why is that? I really do not know. I have never really felt need to add extra potassium and have heard that too much can alter you heart rhythms.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Yes too much as in "BP goes WAY too low"... But gear users need the K exactly to compensate for BP being too HIGH... :)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I eat a couple bananas as part of my daily meal. After a wrokout and while "ON" I add an extra banana and a magnesium and calcium tab. Though I guess for cutting you might not want that many calories.

hmmm all the potassium tabs I see in my local health food store are 99mg.

Why is that? I really do not know. I have never really felt need to add extra potassium and have heard that too much can alter you heart rhythms.
Because the damn drug companies have a hold on the amount allowed as a supplemental serving. From what I have learned they have an investment in its use as a BP med.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a love hate relationship with them. But seriously I try to regulate my use of industrial chems like Chlorine, bad juju imo. Studies a-plenty I am sure.

whale

Awards
It seems you are on the right track with K and magnesium. It really depends on you as for the affects it will give. If you have lowered your salt intake and brought up your K intake you should see a reduction in BP. although if you have a hypertensive mean in the body studies have not shown to be helpful. As far as the doseage goes well that is something a Nutritionist or doctor should monitor. you can do this by slowly ramping and taking vast amounts of BP readings as well. I would watch the prolonged use of mass amounts regardless of your size , and making sure that water is a strong staple in your diet as this can increase the electro balance either way.
Whale