How to Naturally Increase Testosterone?

LhuRecman

Awards
Im aware that monosaturated fats such as peanut butter and fish oil before sleep are good ways of increasing the body natural level of testosterone production.

However I was curious if anyone knows of any other supplements or foods other than steroids that also have the same outcome?:blink:

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Red meat helps out due to the high zinc and sat fat content.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's why I'm a firm ( ;) ) believer in overdosing healthy fats.. Since bumping my fish/flax intake to 10g each (20g ED of supplemental fats) my bloodwork shows my total test to be in the high range for my age.. Last week, my total test was 650, and I'm not using anything to boost test either.. :)

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
That's why I'm a firm ( ;) ) believer in overdosing healthy fats.. Since bumping my fish/flax intake to 10g each (20g ED of supplemental fats) my bloodwork shows my total test to be in the high range for my age.. Last week, my total test was 650, and I'm not using anything to boost test either.. :)
Just curious, did you know your test levels before your increase in EFAs?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Heavy compound lifts are supposed to keep test levels elevated, IIRC. I swear that Cissus Quadrangularis is doing something anabolic in the body, but I dont have the blood tests to back it up yet.

BV

Shock133

Awards
Will extra virgin olive oil work as well? I have that and take it with supplements that require you to take them with a high fat meal. And, do you mean you just take a total of 20g of supplemental fat everyday?

trayhawk

trayhawk

Awards
Polyunsaturated (like those in fish/flax) fats are NOT your best choice when looking to increase testosterone levels.

Typically, they will have a negative, test-lowering effect if anything.

The following study specifically found epa/dha to have an inverse relationship with test levels.

Nutr Cancer. 2000;38(2):163-7. Related Articles, Links

Relationships between types of fat consumed and serum estrogen and androgen concentrations in Japanese men.

Nagata C, Takatsuka N, Kawakami N, Shimizu H.

Department of Public Health, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.

The relationships between types of fat consumed and serum concentrations of estrone, estradiol, total and free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and sex hormone-binding globulin were examined in 69 Japanese men aged 43-88 years. Diet was assessed by a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Intake of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats was inversely correlated with serum total testosterone after controlling for age, total energy, body mass index, alcohol intake, and smoking status, but the correlation was statistically significant only for polyunsaturated fat (r = -0.29, p = 0.02). Intakes of eicosapentanoic and docosahexaenoic acids, n-3 fatty acids from fish, were significantly inversely correlated with total testosterone (r = -0.25, p = 0.04 and r = -0.32, p = 0.01, respectively). Serum estrone, estradiol, and free testosterone were not significantly correlated with any type of fat studied. The correlations of total testosterone with n-3 fatty acids from fish remained significant after additional adjustment for the other categories of fat (r = -0.27, p = 0. 03 for eicosapentanoic acid and r = -0.32, p = 0.01 for docosahexaenoic acid), while the correlations with saturated and monounsaturated fats became nearly null after the adjustment.

J Steroid Biochem. 1984 Jan;20(1):459-64. Related Articles, Links

Diet and serum sex hormones in healthy men.

Hamalainen E, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.

The possible effect of dietary fat content and the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids (P/S-ratio) on serum sex hormones was studied in 30 healthy male volunteers. The customary diet of the subjects, which supplied 40% of energy as fat (mainly from animal sources, P/S-ratio 0.15) was replaced for a 6 weeks period by a practically isocaloric experimental diet containing significantly less fat (25% of energy) with a higher P/S-ratio (1.22) and other environmental factors were stabilized. Serum testosterone and 4-androstenedione decreased from 22.7 +/- 1.1 nmol/l to 19.3 +/- 1.2 nmol/l, (SEM, P less than 0.001) and from 4.6 +/- 0.2 nmol/l to 4.3 +/- 0.2 nmol/l (SEM, P less than 0.01), respectively. These changes were paralleled by a reduction in serum free (non-protein bound) testosterone (P less than 0.01) suggesting a possible change in biological activity. During the low fat period a significant negative correlation between serum prolactin and androgens was observed. All the changes in androgen levels were reversible. With the exception of a small but non-significant decrease in serum estradiol-17 beta, the other hormone parameters were practically unaffected by the dietary manipulation. Our results indicate that in men a decrease in dietary fat content and an increase in the degree of unsaturation of fatty acids reduces the serum concentrations of androstenedione, testosterone and free testosterone. The mechanism and importance of this phenomenon is discussed in the light of epidemiological and experimental data.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I thought i was saturated fats that elevated test levels?

Nice post Trayhawk

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just lifting for a long time , studies show men whove been lifting longer have considable higher amounts of test than beginner lifters.

nutrition of course

sleeping is the number uno- if your a hard training athelite and dont get sufficent sleep then your test can plummet by 40 % , your ifg-1, and hgh levels are also effected, how many hours? well that is a personal thing, my natural bodybuilder friend Josh dickonson says he feels good off of 5 sometimes, but for me i like to get a deep 8. btw using medation tapes on the cd player and put it on repeat assist in sleepign and so do wearing socks to bed.

an anti- arotmase(nolvedex xt, 6-oxo, rebound, etc)

Sex - simply put men who have a partner to enjoy sex with have higher levels of testostrone, ever notice after u get some your even more horny afterwards.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
just doing the basics basically.

Possiblity Tribulus Testrisss(sp) avta salvia and some other herbs but these are not really proven. This information in this thread is Pure Gold.

paperbolix

Awards
I read somewhere that exposure to the sun increases natural test production, I usually run with my shirt off along the beach and then swim in the saltwater on off days..it definently makes you feel more relaxed..

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yes i heard sun also, in fact sun or bright light when u wake up increases testostrone levels. If im not mistaken there is research on this in Mens health or one of those magazines

monsterboy

Awards
Try some tribulus or yohimbine. They both work really well. Yohimbine will help you cut fat as well.

magnate

Awards
ZMA and heavy squats. Either works for me but preferably both.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Just lifting for a long time , studies show men whove been lifting longer have considable higher amounts of test than beginner lifters.

nutrition of course

sleeping is the number uno- if your a hard training athelite and dont get sufficent sleep then your test can plummet by 40 % , your ifg-1, and hgh levels are also effected, how many hours? well that is a personal thing, my natural bodybuilder friend Josh dickonson says he feels good off of 5 sometimes, but for me i like to get a deep 8. btw using medation tapes on the cd player and put it on repeat assist in sleepign and so do wearing socks to bed.

an anti- arotmase(nolvedex xt, 6-oxo, rebound, etc)

Sex - simply put men who have a partner to enjoy sex with have higher levels of testostrone, ever notice after u get some your even more horny afterwards.
Actually it is sexual release every 7 days that brings out maximum testosterone levels.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
I read somewhere that exposure to the sun increases natural test production, I usually run with my shirt off along the beach and then swim in the saltwater on off days..it definently makes you feel more relaxed..
15 minutes twice a week on the lower back will increase testosterone 20 to 25%. The university that did the study tried different parts of the body and it was lower back that did it.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
15 minutes twice a week on the lower back will increase testosterone 20 to 25%. The university that did the study tried different parts of the body and it was lower back that did it.
That's interesting - got a link to that study werewolf?

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Sunlight falling on the skin can raise the level of sex hormones in the blood. This effect has been known for over fifty years, and has been the basis of, for example, measures to improve the laying rate of hens.[2] But the same thing does happen in humans. When researchers gave doses of ultraviolet to subjects in Boston, USA, they found that a course of five doses, of increasing duration, each of them sufficient to produce slight reddening of the skin, could double the male hormone output.[3]

This ties in with the studies which have shown that levels of testosterone, the major male hormone, rise by about twenty per cent through the summer, reaching a peak in September.[4] In females, the effect was somewhat less but still measurable. The part of the body exposed to ultraviolet also made a difference. Some increase could be achieved whichever area of skin received the irradiation, but while exposing the back produced a doubling in hormones, exposing the skin of the genitals could cause the hormone level to triple.

3) Myerson, A., and Neustadt, R., 'Influence of Ultraviolet Irradiation upon Excretion of Sex Hormones In The Male', Endocrinology: 25; 7, 1939.

4) Aschoff, J., 'Annual Rhythms in Man', in Aschoff, J. (ed.), Handbook of Behavioural Neurobiology, Plenum Press, New York, 1981.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wow, I'd never heard about that before. Very interesting.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Heavy compound lifts are supposed to keep test levels elevated, IIRC. I swear that Cissus Quadrangularis is doing something anabolic in the body, but I dont have the blood tests to back it up yet.

BV
I'm going to have to second this.

Sunlight falling on the skin can raise the level of sex hormones in the blood. This effect has been known for over fifty years, and has been the basis of, for example, measures to improve the laying rate of hens.[2] But the same thing does happen in humans. When researchers gave doses of ultraviolet to subjects in Boston, USA, they found that a course of five doses, of increasing duration, each of them sufficient to produce slight reddening of the skin, could double the male hormone output.[3]

This ties in with the studies which have shown that levels of testosterone, the major male hormone, rise by about twenty per cent through the summer, reaching a peak in September.[4] In females, the effect was somewhat less but still measurable. The part of the body exposed to ultraviolet also made a difference. Some increase could be achieved whichever area of skin received the irradiation, but while exposing the back produced a doubling in hormones, exposing the skin of the genitals could cause the hormone level to triple.

3) Myerson, A., and Neustadt, R., 'Influence of Ultraviolet Irradiation upon Excretion of Sex Hormones In The Male', Endocrinology: 25; 7, 1939.

4) Aschoff, J., 'Annual Rhythms in Man', in Aschoff, J. (ed.), Handbook of Behavioural Neurobiology, Plenum Press, New York, 1981.
I saw on the discovery channel that suicide attempts are always higher in the winter. Maybe this is why.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to have to second this.
I saw on the discovery channel that suicide attempts are always higher in the winter. Maybe this is why.
The shorter days in winter depress mood for a whole host of reasons... lower test is probably only a minor factor in the equation. For instance, vitamin D probably plays a more significant role. Skin exposure to sunlight allows the body to produce vitamin D. Vit D plays an important role in serotonin synthesis, which in turn modulates mood. In northern climates, people often become vit D deficient during the short days of winter, and its theorized that this may play a major role in SAD ("Seasonal Affective Disorder", aka winter depression). Research shows that supplementing with high doses vitamin D can help prevent or reverse SAD.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually it is sexual release every 7 days that brings out maximum testosterone levels.
I read this article on Bodybuilding.com a few years back. I tryed it onetime. Ive been "not releeasing" lately and i have noticed hyperfocused. I seem to get more done and do it efficeintly.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Big Pete Fox-- this is the thundergod . You answered some questions for me on another thread about nettle root powder, so I've decided to ask you about this subject as well. You say flax may increase your test. I've also heard that high levels of flax oil may mimic the effects of tamoxifen(nolva). Has anyone else heard this? I'd like to hear more on this. If this is so , it also lowers estrogen.

Rossi2

Rossi2

Awards
Tribulus 625 caps are nice
its all natural herb and should boost your libido a lil too:good::good:

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
If your interested in a lifestyle change that will naturally manipulate hormones to their peak levels check out the Anabolic Diet or the NHE (Natural Hormone Enhancement) Diet.. they are both very good. I've been reading the literature on the Anabolic Diet for months and decided to start it about a month ago. I will get blood work in about 3 months after I'm fully adapted to the diet to see where all my levels are at.

NateWA

NateWA

Awards
  • Established
so now i know why all the guys in seattle are such pansies NO SUN

NateWA

NateWA

Awards
  • Established
I guess I'll ask for a sunlamp for christmas... and then start exposing my junk to it twice a week. This would be a good log.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
If your interested in a lifestyle change that will naturally manipulate hormones to their peak levels check out the Anabolic Diet or the NHE (Natural Hormone Enhancement) Diet.. they are both very good. I've been reading the literature on the Anabolic Diet for months and decided to start it about a month ago. I will get blood work in about 3 months after I'm fully adapted to the diet to see where all my levels are at.
Good post - The Anabolic Diet looks a lot like bulking on a CKD

RyanOFelt

Awards
I agree with KW1K. The cheapest anabolic is hardgainer squats and deadlifts. 20 reps, using a weight you could only normally do for about 10, using the rest/pause technique of course. Should be the last set of your work out, because if you can do 1 set afterwards then you didn't go heavy enough.
(Please note that this is from an article i read, and a little personal expierence. Im no expert)

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
this is not a study or statistics but just a comment made by Dr. Andrew Weil on DHA and AA.
It refers to babies, still, it was interesting.

DHA and another fatty acid, AA (arachidonic acid) are found naturally in breast milk, but if mothers can't nurse, their babies are deprived of these nutrients because infants, especially those born prematurely, can't manufacture enough in their own bodies for optimal brain development. A number of studies have shown that formulas supplemented with DHA and AA enhance visual acuity in babies; intellectual development appears to be better, too.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
another reason for a Mother to supplement with fish oil

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
this is not a study or statistics but just a comment made by Dr. Andrew Weil on DHA and AA.
It refers to babies, still, it was interesting.

DHA and another fatty acid, AA (arachidonic acid) are found naturally in breast milk, but if mothers can't nurse, their babies are deprived of these nutrients because infants, especially those born prematurely, can't manufacture enough in their own bodies for optimal brain development. A number of studies have shown that formulas supplemented with DHA and AA enhance visual acuity in babies; intellectual development appears to be better, too.
more........
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA) supplementation in cirrhotic patients awaiting liver transplantation
Methods: In a double-blinded, placebo-controlled fashion, 9 cirrhotic patients listed for liver transplantation at Lahey Clinic received either K) gelcaps containing 500 mg of AA and 1000 mg of DHA (AA/DHA), or K) control gelcaps (containing 250 mg of linolcic acid and 125mg of oleic acid), plus 200 mg of Vitamin Ii, daily for 6 weeks. They were all maintained on an ad-lib diet. Their baseline and six-week plasma phospholipid (PL) fatty acid profiles were determined. The changes of plasma PL (mol%) after six-weeks of supplementation were compared using paired Student's t-test within each group. Results: Five patients received the (AAfDYiA) and 4 received the control gelcaps. all patients took more than 90% of the required supplements and reported no adverse effects (i.e. nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, bad taste or bad breath). At the end of 6 weeks, AA/DHA supplementation significantly increased the plasma PL DHA (3.77 ±1.82 vs. 1.98 ±1.11 mol/%, p

S. Pazirandeh, MD ; P. Ling, MD-; M. Ollero, PhD2; K. C. McCowen, MD2; F. D. Gordon, MD1; D. L. Bums, MD1; B. R. Bistrian, MD, PhD2; 1Lahcy Clinic, Burlington, MA; 2BeIh Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, ma.

Copyright American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Jan/Feb 2004
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved

====================

I am sold.
Getting this combo definitely.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Actually, it's called SAD (seasonal affective disorder, rather ironic) and the lack of sunshine causes a chemical imbalance in the brain. SAD is found most commonly in places like Sweden, where there is very little sunlight. There are special lights you can buy (UV, I believe) to maintain healthy chemical ratios in the brain. So, suicide rates are not tied into testosterone levels in this instance.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's what Vit D is for. 1000 -2000 mgs every day. OI got my Vit D levels tested. you can this this as well. Sunshine doesn't always produce vit d in the body. there was a study of a bunch of people in hawaii who got twelve hours of sun per day. Only half of the people got the vit d in their system though the sun. Every body works differently. I make sure at least 1 g per day of the D.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established

this forum was so much better back in the day interesting stuff posted all the time now not so much at all

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
this forum was so much better back in the day interesting stuff posted all the time now not so much at all
With respect sir, your post only serves to exacerbate the situation you perceive to be the case......

AntSoldier

Awards
  • Established
This is an interesting thread, surely there must be some new information on this now!

No-one mentioned bacon love this stuff and have heard good stuff about this promoting test levels and avocado, anyone else back this up?

No-one mentioned sleep, surely this is one of the main contributing factors for testosterone levels in a man. I need 8hrs minimum especially after a good gym session

Solexsight

Solexsight

Awards
I guess I'll ask for a sunlamp for christmas... and then start exposing my junk to it twice a week. This would be a good log.
This is recommend. Bad experience from using sun for make tan on testicles (sunbathe) Create "hysterical" women's once seen me try in nature.

Bignick31985

Awards
Sunlight falling on the skin can raise the level of sex hormones in the blood.
Solves the mystery of I'm always in the mood when me and the wife leave the pool or beach.

Bignick31985

Awards
I'm sure that doesn't hurt the situation.