Ground turkey fat content - raw vs cooked

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Just wondering if there is any way to estimate how much fat cooks off of turkey burgers on the grill.

The fatty stuff is only $1.57/lb, but it has 24g of fat. There's a good 1-2 tablespoons of oil in my Foreman grill after cooking it, but part of that might be juice.

I know you can buy extremely lean ground turkey but it's usually about 2-3 times as expensive.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Why not switch? I get a 12 pack of Jennie-O turkey burgers for about 5 bucks at Wal-Mart. 20 grams of protein and only 9 grams of fat (2.5 saturated) per serving. Good deal, good burger. I eat them everyday.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I mistyped that. It's actually 32g of fat PER POUND (not 24). That's 22g of protein and 8g of fat per serving, with four servings per pound.

Sorry nate, the stuff you're buying is fattier AND more expensive. Haha :)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I thought you meant per serving when you said 24 grams of fat. 32 grams per pound isn't that bad at all. Quit your bitchin'. :D

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
It hard to say how much of the oil is fat. Obviously some of it is but I wouldn't worry to much about it unless your really trying to cut down to a low bf%. If your more concerned with bulking with clean food I think your fine.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Yeah you guys are right. Every time I check this thread I realize a little more how anal I'm being about this. There are more important things to worry about than a couple grams of fat (like how many workouts I've missed lately). :whip:

Thanks fellas.