question from the new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

180pounds

Awards
OK, I hadn't read this web Site much , this is my first visit, and I don't have alot of time to read though everything today. ..

this is my first day of trying to research musle gain on the Web.

i looked at your public profile . and glanced at your web site . ... i just happened l up on your
posts. but your pic seem to show someone who knows muslce gain. (parton the spelling , don't got time to spell check this.

here is my question , but , first a little infor on who's asking .

i',m a 180 pound , no muslce , guy who just for the 1000time , started lifting weights again , i'm 45 (age) skinny as hell. - always have been . Never can gain anything ,

but, I just reenlisted into the military , the national guard , and will see iraq in the next few months.

I need to gain musle mass , and stength,... Quick if possiable.

I will pay for the right active , and help or the right products. .. are you interested , in helping me .
the old paths of just going to a gym and lifting , may just get me hard . but i will just peak out.
not gaining size, and the stength i need . ... i 'm so tiered of not getting no where.
i tryed the GMC products. . i just get " a little results " after hunderds of dollars . and the small size gains seem to fall off , if i stop after 2 weeks .

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
honestly, you should look into hiring a trainer such as Bobo (FLA Nutrition), since its obvious you don't know how to gain muscle

180pounds

Awards
boy , you guys are asshxles. Eat ? reread my fuvk post you stupid asshxles.
if i was in a position to hire a trainer , i wouldn't have posted here .

whunterx

whunterx

Awards
You ask people to help you and then you call them assholes. come-on man. Eat, Sleep, Train, Read, and help yourself.

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
I might of given more response, as well as others might have.. if you had actually posted this in the right category... you posted this under the supplement store category..so if you can't figure out how to post properly how are you gonna figure out how to diet or train

Moose

180pounds

Awards
well

To answer your question, >>> one step at the time.
No, i don't know how to train . no, i don't know eat.
no, i don't what to guy that will really work .

. but, at this point , i'm for the first time , really trying to
pick up one bit of infor. at the time .until ,i get the results
i need .

I almost died , back in dec. the doc. told me not to
lift anything until may. ..

I may have screwed away 45 years , not something to be proud of . .. but ,
if i have to get this one bit , at the time , i will.

I got some Cell-tech , from Gmc. and it seems to be slowing , helping a little .
I brought , some free weights , and believe i'm over doing it at this point ,
(from the bits , i have been picking up. )

i won't say how much i can lift . it too small of a number to put in print . ,,
but , i'm trying .

i'm need to lift 3 times the weight i'm lifting now , i need to run, 5 times the distance , i 'm running now .

gaining 20 pounds would , be good all so , . i'm 6'3" ......

all i need is to find , just one nice guy who doesn't mind , typing out a sugestion or two.

i got 60 days to meet my standards .or i'm in deep trouble .

180pounds

Awards
yeah

You ask people to help you and then you call them assholes. come-on man. Eat, Sleep, Train, Read, and help yourself.
yeah , thanks for being SUCH A GREAT HELP. the world need more like you .

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
Here's a great excerpt from Lyle McDonald's Training Secrets article.

(If you don't know who Lyle is, he's one of the smartest and educated in the industry.)

Training secrets for size and strength gains (for naturals)
1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a bodypart less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You'll get less sore training more frequently and you'll grow better. Save once/week bodypart training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3. When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don't need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bullshit written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can't get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a pussy in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights 'argument': both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can't magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can't buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won't grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you're not hungry or your schedule won't allow it. It's about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hardgainers train like idiots and don't eat enough.

7. Diets should be based around whole foods first, supplements second. Remember the hoopla over zinc and testosterone and ZMA from Balco (hi Victor, hope you're enjoying the forced sodomy in jail)? Red meat is a great source of zinc, iron, B12 and protein. Not to mention who knows how many other trace nutrients that are involved in optimal human physiology. Eat it every day. Remember all of that crap about indole 3 carbinole. Guess what, it's found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. Every time you hear about a new magic compound, 99 times out of 100 it's found in some whole food that you're probably not eating. Eat whole foods with a shitpile of veggies every day.

8. There is no singular best protein, each one has pros and cons. Generally, I thinnk casein is better for dieting, whey for around workouts, whole proteins the rest of the time. You can't beat milk (and the dairy calcium has benefits on bodyfat). I think mixing proteins at a given meal is a good idea to eliminte any shortcomings of one. I think food combining (or protein rotation) is a lot of hippy holistic bullshit.

180pounds

Awards
Most of your post is over my head ( my understanding ), but i am printing it out , and will study it over the next few days.

I love to eat , but ,in the past year , since dec, it all when to my middle gut.
but . under doc.es orders ,i couldn't lift anything over 30 pounds.

now i 'm lifting 45 pounds . yeah (its a joke to you guys ) but. i'm alive.
and the doc. saids i can start lifting , as long as i don't strain myself . (no weight limits)

the celltech seems to keep me from getting stiff. and i was told to buy some
Whey Protein ??

,,,,,,, but , do i eat, ??? i don't want to gain it just around the gut ??

at this time , i only eat fish , and grilled chicken, salads, vegs.

I am lifting every other day. until i cann't lift any more . and trying to run , every other day.

yeah , pussy weight , but , i got 10 years , ahead of me , so i'm trying to start a new path.

thanks for your post fireproof

i do a over head set , i do a bench press set , and a curls set. ,
(its a start.)

Here's a great excerpt from Lyle McDonald's Training Secrets article.

(If you don't know who Lyle is, he's one of the smartest and educated in the industry.)

Training secrets for size and strength gains (for naturals)
1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a bodypart less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You'll get less sore training more frequently and you'll grow better. Save once/week bodypart training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3. When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don't need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bullshit written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can't get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a pussy in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights 'argument': both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can't magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can't buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won't grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you're not hungry or your schedule won't allow it. It's about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hardgainers train like idiots and don't eat enough.

7. Diets should be based around whole foods first, supplements second. Remember the hoopla over zinc and testosterone and ZMA from Balco (hi Victor, hope you're enjoying the forced sodomy in jail)? Red meat is a great source of zinc, iron, B12 and protein. Not to mention who knows how many other trace nutrients that are involved in optimal human physiology. Eat it every day. Remember all of that crap about indole 3 carbinole. Guess what, it's found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. Every time you hear about a new magic compound, 99 times out of 100 it's found in some whole food that you're probably not eating. Eat whole foods with a shitpile of veggies every day.

8. There is no singular best protein, each one has pros and cons. Generally, I thinnk casein is better for dieting, whey for around workouts, whole proteins the rest of the time. You can't beat milk (and the dairy calcium has benefits on bodyfat). I think mixing proteins at a given meal is a good idea to eliminte any shortcomings of one. I think food combining (or protein rotation) is a lot of hippy holistic bullshit.

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
Well, to get you started, here are a few other suggestions:

1. Nutrition. LIke the above alludes to, don't think that taking supplements or this are that product is going to make you big. Like the old cliche, you've got to eat big to get big. If you aren't gaining weight like you want, add more food. I shoot for 15% above maintenance to add muscle while minimizing fat gain. Supplements like protein powders aren't magic - they are just convenient. Most of us shoot for 1-1.5grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. So if you weigh 180, you'd want to eat 180grams - 270grams of protein every day. That's difficult with whole foods - that's a lot of chicken and tuna! So most people keep whey protein on hand to make protein shakes.

2. Workout. I'd start with a workout regimine like Lower / Upper / Off / Lower / Upper / Off / Off. You'll be hitting each muscle group twice / week. As for what types of exercises, here's some suggestions, but primarily try to stick to compound movements versus isolation movements. (Compound = uses two joints, Isolation = uses one joint. So take chest for example - Bench press is compound, because your shoulder and elbow joints are involved. Flyes would be isolation, because you keep the elbow joint fixed and only move at the shoulder).

Here's a suggested routine assuming the above split, where Mon = Lower, Tues = Upper, Wed = off, Thurs = Lower, Fri = Upper, weekend = off.

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

For the thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12

If some of this is over your head - don't try to complicate things. Eat good foods, lift consistently, and try to add weight to the bar over time.

180pounds

Awards
thanks

Thanks ,

yeah most of its over my head , .. but , I getting alittle at the time .
I should mention , I got stomach problems , (not getting into it )
alot of stuff i cann't eat.

Lower / Upper / Off / Lower / Upper / Off / Off. ???

this greek to me , but i will find someone to translate . .

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I will pay for the right active , and help or the right products.
First quit wasting your money buying shitty products from GNC, second learn to type, third don't come around here asking for help if you are just going to bitch about not being able to read , fouth go **** yourself because your quote damn well says you ARE willing to pay for help.
asshole!!!!!!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chill gents, let's keep it on topic and a little less crass.

180pounds- I would spend some time researching the nutrition and training forums, just go over there and start reading. After that if you still have questions feel free to post in the correlating area.

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
"Lower" = lower body parts. Do exercises for quads, hams, and calves.
"Upper" = upper body parts. Do exercises for chest, back, shoulders, bis, and tris.

Lower / Upper / Off / Lower / Upper / Off / Off. ???

this greek to me , but i will find someone to translate . .

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unfortuantely it takes some time to learn this stuff. Bodybuilding and powerlifting are not instant gratification sports. I've been on this site for 2 years, and while I can run circles around personal trainers when it comes to knowledge, I still struggle to keep up with most of these guys.

My advice to you: read the bodybuilding.com articles on getting started, nutrition, etc. They are simple and not overly complex, and while we tend to diss on bb.com in general they are good enough for a beginner.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.htm

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Unfortuantely it takes some time to learn this stuff. Bodybuilding and powerlifting are not instant gratification sports. I've been on this site for 2 years, and while I can run circles around personal trainers when it comes to knowledge, I still struggle to keep up with most of these guys.

My advice to you: read the bodybuilding.com articles on getting started, nutrition, etc. They are simple and not overly complex, and while we tend to diss on bb.com in general they are good enough for a beginner.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.htm
yeah, bro. Check out www.bodybuilding.com. You'll like it over there...

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
WHy are you trying to gain muscle? Military is lean and mean not big and bulky.

Didn't you learn that when you were in the military before?

BTW **** OFF ASSHOLE

DON"T COME ON THIS BOARD SPEWING YOUR FILTH ON ONE OF MY BOARD BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any Mods wanna chime in on this guy?

CROWLER

scarfacebling

Awards
who thinks this guy is really 45 ? he seems to act 16 types worse then 16 and he dosent know what upper and lower stand for? i duuno seems fishy

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
In his defense I think his first language is Spanish.

I commend him for serving our country but it still doesn't give him the right to act like that.

CROWLER

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I can understand your frustration because WE ALL were there before and I'm going to break rank and give you some info because I’m a nice guy. :)

The only thing I can recommend for you to do is to stick with the mass building routines. I would recommend you stick with the bench press, incline press, squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, pull-ups, dips, shrugs, shoulder press, barbell str8 curls and triceps ext. The exercise I mention is the bread and butter of adding mass. Oh yea, use only weights and not machines. Don't get frustrated because you might not be able to lift as much as the guy next to you but concentrate on your own routine and you will reach your goals. I do recommend you increase the weight, every time you can go over 8 reps.

Since you said your skinny and can't put on no weight...Don't do high volumes of cardio. I think 15 to 20mins/2 times a week should be o.k. for you since it seems you’re a hard gainer. I would just recommend you walk on a treadmill for 15 to 20mins.

I do recommend you EAT but eat the right type of foods. In your case, I recommend some of these foods>>>pasta, oatmeal, nuts, chicken breast, fish, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, wheat bread, whole milk, eggs, grape nuts because they high in carbs and good in fiber, pancakes, and I would recommend you find a good weight gainer drink. There are plenty of other good foods you can consume but that's what pop in my head. I do believe in giving yourself a day or two to eat what you want but in moderation. I do recommend you eat 5 to 6 meals a day and drink plenty of water.

The supplement is a sticky subject because what works for me, might not work for you. You can always go with creatine but you did say you have stomach problems. So, I wouldn't recommend creatine.

I don't recommend any anabolics at your stage in your development because you’re not ready for them, and because of your stomach problems.

I believe in this mix for success in obtaining a good built>>>>60% is nutrition, 30% is rest and 10% is working out.

The info I mention has always been the key to my success and it’s a way of life for me.

Also

Why do you want to re-enlist in the military at 45y/o???? I’m sorry to say but that don’t sound right to me. I’ll go crazy going through basic training with teenagers or twenty somethings. They are the bulk of the people that joining the military but it does comfort me in knowing I can whip their ass in basic training. :)

OK, I hadn't read this web Site much , this is my first visit, and I don't have alot of time to read though everything today. ..

this is my first day of trying to research musle gain on the Web.

i looked at your public profile . and glanced at your web site . ... i just happened l up on your
posts. but your pic seem to show someone who knows muslce gain. (parton the spelling , don't got time to spell check this.

here is my question , but , first a little infor on who's asking .

i',m a 180 pound , no muslce , guy who just for the 1000time , started lifting weights again , i'm 45 (age) skinny as hell. - always have been . Never can gain anything ,

but, I just reenlisted into the military , the national guard , and will see iraq in the next few months.

I need to gain musle mass , and stength,... Quick if possiable.

I will pay for the right active , and help or the right products. .. are you interested , in helping me .
the old paths of just going to a gym and lifting , may just get me hard . but i will just peak out.
not gaining size, and the stength i need . ... i 'm so tiered of not getting no where.
i tryed the GMC products. . i just get " a little results " after hunderds of dollars . and the small size gains seem to fall off , if i stop after 2 weeks .

180pounds

Awards
Thanks for the active , everyone,. I settled for one a week work outs .
I want twice a week, but i have some health issures that is stopped me.
I don't want to get into the reasons, but, once a week is all my heart, and joints will let me work out. .... i do , do a hard work out , i have a guy at the gym , help me settle into a pattern , he got me to start with me stomach area, and when go up to my chest and last my arms. ... and last my cardo. i am going to use up the cell-tech i got , it got about 6 puonds add to my weight....
thanks everyone.....i wish i knew how to get weight on ,and at the same time , lose this little roll of a belly i got ?

thanks again , everyone.

Mepha

Awards
I would like just like to say as another newb I have been reading all of the forums for over 2 weeks now off and on, its the only site about anything body, that I do read and a lot of people are on here are hard on new people.. the guy was definatly out of line mouthing off for no good reason but I have had a lot of trouble getting started. I am completelly out of shape, I am trying to get my diet in line,.. and get my life changed.. and each time it seems he gets told to shut up and read.. and dont ask questions until you know more.. anyhow.. thanks for all the help.. and to firestorm, I think thats what his name was.. that info was really helpful!

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
If you are going into the military what the hell are you worried about??? I went to basic weighing about 180 and left weighing 205. You will get big in basic.
Hell, you come in here and talk crap and want to learn in a few weeks what took most of us YEARS to learn and apply in out lives, then you want to take the shortcut and have us tell you what to do instead of doing your research. I'm with Crowler...not from here or not. And I know your attitude will change in basic cause you go there with your crap attitude and you will get pwned by a DI.

And just as a suggestion: Mavis typing tutor comes in Spanish too.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
This guy is posting everywhere, reviving old threads, asking the same questions. His fake sentence structures and bad grammar are a tip off that he is trying to push peoples buttons.

Do not revive this thread for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.