How many times a week do you LEAN BULKERS do cardio?

• 2x/week

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • 3x/week

Votes: 123 34.6%
  • 4x/week

Votes: 51 14.3%
  • 5x/week

Votes: 30 8.4%
  • 6 or 7x/week

Votes: 30 8.4%

• Total voters

Squats

Awards

And for how long?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm gonna add a comment or two.

LEAN BULKING, in most cases, is achieved by low to moderate caloric surplus rather than excessive surplus. Unless you have a need or desire for cardiac conditioning, cardio, in this application, is only a means to offset excessive consumption, via energy expenditure, and counter productive, IMO. Like I said, if you desire to engage in cardio for the cardiac conditioning, more power to you. Personally, I would rather control my LEAN BULKING by moderating my caloric intake rather than offsetting the excess. If I'm going to engage in 60 mins of cardio I want it to be burning fat. JMHO...to each, his own...;)

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
25-30 min 3X per week, 65%. mainly for health reasons.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna add a comment or two.

LEAN BULKING, in most cases, is achieved by low to moderate caloric surplus rather than excessive surplus. Unless you have a need or desire for cardiac conditioning, cardio, in this application, is only a means to offset excessive consumption, via energy expenditure, and counter productive, IMO. Like I said, if you desire to engage in cardio for the cardiac conditioning, more power to you. Personally, I would rather control my LEAN BULKING by moderating my caloric intake rather than offsetting the excess. If I'm going to engage in 60 mins of cardio I want it to be burning fat. JMHO...to each, his own...;)

:thumbsup: My feeling as well...although we all do need the health benefits

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm one of those rare few who actually enjoys my cardio sessions, aside from the fact that it's of utmost importance to health and overall wellness. 5Xwk at a moderate 6-7 mph on the treadmill for 30min. during any of my bulking phases has always worked good for me. It lets me keep my abs a little bit longer, which are always the first to go.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wonder why some say cardio is of utmost importance to health... How do you figure that?????:think:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I wonder why some say cardio is of utmost importance to health... How do you figure that?????:think:
Cardiovascular health. Most just try to "look" in shape, big difference than actually be well conditioned.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I didn't read the other posts so this might have already been said but I prefer to lean bulk by working out around 5 days per week and really splitting up the body parts, that way I am getting a lot of exercise during the week and it really sorta eliminates the need for the cardio, at least for us ecto's anyways ;).

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I think the best way to do cardio to enhance a lean bulk is anabolically.

In other words, use an EAA supp beforehand and keep sessions short and intense. Like, 15 minutes of sprinting 3-5 times per week. Doing something like this will give you a second "anabolic boost" aside from actual weight lifting. If your goal is not exactly to lose wieght, then cardio should be treated similarly to a workout with weights. I wouldn't spend my time pussying around with 10 pound dumbbells therefore wouldn't bother with an hour long grandma jog.

EDIT: but then I guess it couldn't exactly be counted as cardio since it is anaerobic work.

charliewat

Awards
I walk in the morning with my heart rate monitor & ipod for 35-40min ~65%

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I think you need a zero item in the poll options. Me = zero.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I think you need a zero item in the poll options. Me = zero.
I'm with the surfer. I have a hard enough time adding LBM without the extra caloric expenditure.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
2-3x/week, 15 mins at 85% for conditioning. Hate running out of steam trying to carry added muscle around.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
ideally i would do 1/2 hour of low intensity cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the AM on an empty stomach. Everyone blows this so out of proportion as a fast way to lose muscle, the only thing this method does for me is keep my metabolism ramped (read: kicks up anabolism as well, if calories are there) and also keeps me lean.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
1-2x a week, normally 30-45mins fasted state.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Low intenisty for about 20-25min after my workout. Usually 3 times a week.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I think low intensity is fine, and can contribution to a repartitioning effect in moderation (if your diet is super spot on). As for high intensity, I think some conditioning work IS good, but if you're trying to put on muscle, avoid doing it more than once a week or so.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cardiovascular health. Most just try to "look" in shape, big difference than actually be well conditioned.
But if you lift with some REAL intensity, doesn't your HR go up there in the HIIT stratosphere of heartbeat? I know mine does. Not one leg workout goes by without me registering HR = 180. Shouldn't that be just enough, I mean, for conditioning reasons?

Jwillbc55

Awards
I've never done cardio, but I'm naturally very lean so any cardio I do burns precious precious calories

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
usually none...the only time i ever do cardio is on an off day and i am really bored or have nothing to do. doesnt matter if i am cutting or bulking

jshively

Awards
I do cardio a couple times/week but if I can't or don't have the motivation I don't worry about it.

KD1

Awards
  • Established
If Im bulking I dont do any cardio. But Im pretty lean to start with, dont really need it except for aerobic conditioning. If I do cardio 3X a week I will lose weight no matter how much I eat, unless Im on AAS or PHs.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
This may sound dumb, but aside from conditioning, isn't doing cardio while bulking just spinning your wheels? I guess it goes back to the real question: Is losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time realistically possible?

If you're starting to get fat, would you be better off to do a 2-3 week cut instead, and then get back to bulking? I just don't know how much fat you can actually lose in two weeks.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
This may sound dumb, but aside from conditioning, isn't doing cardio while bulking just spinning your wheels?

If you're starting to get fat, would you be better off to do a 2-3 week cut instead, and then get back to bulking? I just don't know how much fat you can actually lose in two weeks.
Agreed 100%

IheartAvantLabs

Awards
Moyer, is that your body? Because, if so, were basically have twin physiques. I mean, if I didn't go to the tanning bed, we'd match.. Weird..
Sorry.
And by the way, to answer your question... Look at this thread:
http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?showtopic=19274

You should definately look into sprinting. Check out the mind and muscle article on sprinting by Loki. It's awesome.

Do you have a log desicribing your training and/or diet?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Moyer, is that your body? Because, if so, were basically have twin physiques. I mean, if I didn't go to the tanning bed, we'd match.. Weird..
Sorry.
Yeah, it's me (and I need to get a little sun). Sorry, no logs yet. Maybe I'll start one soon.

Jimmy_magix

Awards
1 HIIT session a week - sprints or rowing depending how I feel.

Big B

Awards
Why would a Bodybuilder consider him/herself an athlete if you get winded tieing your shoe strings or walking up a flight of stairs at the mall? im 6'0 225lbs so i know its hard carrying 190lbs of mass and up.....Cardio should always be done a minimum of 3x week 20-30min even on bulking cycles remember you do have a heart....even though it is a very efficent piece of equip. you must build it just like muscle
We Are Not All Lee Priest!! HaHaHa

dmbwhiteguy

Awards
i'm very lean as well and it's hard for me to put on weight while doing cardio.

the only problem is all my fat store are in my ab region...so i try to do some light cardio for 45min 3x a week to keep the bf% in order

Gdawg

Awards
I do 2 plyometric workouts a week plus play the occasional pickup game of basketball or football.

charger

Banned
Awards
never do cardio... just 5-10min of warmup and 5-10minutes of cooldown on the treadmill.

Lean is all about diet
cardio is catabolic.. i'd rather be anabolic..

charger

Banned
Awards
Why would a Bodybuilder consider him/herself an athlete if you get winded tieing your shoe strings or walking up a flight of stairs at the mall? im 6'0 225lbs so i know its hard carrying 190lbs of mass and up.....Cardio should always be done a minimum of 3x week 20-30min even on bulking cycles remember you do have a heart....even though it is a very efficent piece of equip. you must build it just like muscle
We Are Not All Lee Priest!! HaHaHa
if you stay focused and don't jib jab the mouth. While your lifting weights your heart rate should be fairly high.. As high as moderate cardio. 15-20 rep floor squats is much harder than a jog on the treadmill.

Jay Mc

Awards
lean bulking? oxymoron?

bulking is by definition anabolic which by definition means your body is going to want to put on weight. How you get it to partition the calories can be tweaked, but the idea of lean bulking is like taking 1 step forward and 3/4 step back. Concentrate on one thing at a time or try and do many things at one time, see no results, and get frustrated.

Pubmed is chock full of articles about why doing cardio isn't in a resistance trainees best interests. Upregulation of MAFBX = proteolysis, cortisol responses, all amplified if you are resistance trained predominantly. In addition, this is a great way to shoot into the overtraining area in hurry. Recovery is important. You guys doing fasted cardio on a bulk are really shooting yourselves in the foot in my opinion. The hormonal response versus amount of calories burned will be insignificant in the big picture.

And since when did resistance training have no impact on cardiovascular health? I don't know about you guys but my heart is pumping at the end of my workout.

All the above are my opinions but based on facts :)

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I perform and average of 1-1.5 of cardiovascular work in the form of underground tunnel bike riding each day at work. Overall, it averages out to 14 cardio sessions every 5 weeks. I've only begun this job a few months ago, and this is my first week of bulking, so it remains to be seen how recovery/gains/weight gain is affected. I intend to drink a whey/bcaa mixture during the bike rides to stave off any potential catabolism that the extended cardio sessions may cause.

Coulaid

Awards
Slow jog 4 days a week. I wish i wasnt an endo

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
5 minute jog post training, 20 minute walk/run in the am with the dog, and one afternoon cardio session for 40 mins......I might knock it down a little.....cutting = 7x a week.!

pecs=sexs

Awards
I think the best way to do cardio to enhance a lean bulk is anabolically.

In other words, use an EAA supp beforehand and keep sessions short and intense. Like, 15 minutes of sprinting 3-5 times per week. Doing something like this will give you a second "anabolic boost" aside from actual weight lifting. If your goal is not exactly to lose wieght, then cardio should be treated similarly to a workout with weights. I wouldn't spend my time pussying around with 10 pound dumbbells therefore wouldn't bother with an hour long grandma jog.

EDIT: but then I guess it couldn't exactly be counted as cardio since it is anaerobic work.

this is exactly what i do. i most of the time go for 3 days a week of sprinting on a tredmill. it seems to make the workout go by quicker since i hate cardios.

magic8ball

Awards
I've done cardio four times in the last eight months. I don't even like to run unless someone is chasing me.

2fast2live

Awards
None for me, but after 8yrs in the Marines im burned out on it!

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
about an hour+ of competitive 4v4 pick-up basketball 2x a week seems to keep the excess fat off for me...