Higher fat diet?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just wanted to see if anyone had tried this out?

Im currently maintaining my weight on 3500 calories.

My current macros were.

Carbs = 477g
Protein = 220g
Fat = 77g

I don't know why but all the carbs are making me hell'a sluggish and tired and also.... CONSTANTLY hungry.

I have done lower carb diet's in the past and remember my hunger levels being less so today i completely changed my macro's to.

Carbs = 174g (Pre ' Intra ' Post)
Protein = 220g
Fat= 212g

I seem to hear that fat cause's a far better feeling of satiety.

All my fats will be from healthy sources. Avacado's. Nuts ' Nut Butter's. Houmous ' Greek Yoghurt ' Full fat milk ' Coconut oil ' Olive Oil. etc

Just wanted to see if i can get shift of this lethargy from the carbohydrates. The carbs i am consuming will be only around my workouts so... Pre ' Intra and Post. Im certain im constantly spiking my insulin as the tiredness only appears about 60-90 minutes after food and alongside this is a terrible hunger feeling... For carbs.

Has anyone run this sort of diet and had success ? I have had 2 meals so far and haven't felt the lethargy that carbs seems to have on my body.

How is it for muscle building also?

Thanks

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is fine for muscle building as long as you're in a surplus. If you are at a 500 cal surplus on either a lower fat or lower carb diet, results will be the same ultimately. Scale weight might be a little higher on the high carb/low fat diet since the body will hold more water and glycogen.

I would just make sure carbs are high enough for performance and it seems like the amount you have is fine.

Remember, everyone is different. Something that works for one, may not work for another. You stated you had success with this type of diet before, so follow it for a month and see how it goes.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I have been making excellent progress on a zero carbohydrate, zero plant diet. My macro split is 40-50% protein, 50-60% fat depending on the day

I've so far gone from 63kg - 70kg in 10 or 11 weeks of training without gaining around the waist

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fats are more essential to muscle building and your body in general. Carbs will make you fuller while fat tends to keep you more flat which both have positive changes in your body transformation depending on goals. The thing with high fat is that you must cut down the carbs cause mixing then two will make you fat.

Fats are more effective for fatloss and hormones. As long as you have the energy to work out higher carbs aren't needed. If you look at pro bodybuilders now and back in time they have much more varieties of gear to manage such high carb diet which also isn't very healthy..

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been making excellent progress on a zero carbohydrate, zero plant diet. My macro split is 40-50% protein, 50-60% fat depending on the day

I've so far gone from 63kg - 70kg in 10 or 11 weeks of training without gaining around the waist
Im still gonna implement carbs but what my plan is.. Say 50g of carbs 1 hour before my workout and then load about 80-100 after a workout. That will be all my carbs for the day. Alot of this is fibre aswell so actual useable carbohydrates will be less but should be enough to power through a workout. I just dont want to drop into Ketosis. My lifestyle just doesnt suit this.

Whats your appetite been like on this diet? This is my reasoning for the higher fats. I want to feel satisfied with meals and not counting down the minutes until i can eat again. Nightmare!

Thats awesome results aswell !

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fats are more essential to muscle building and your body in general. Carbs will make you fuller while fat tends to keep you more flat which both have positive changes in your body transformation depending on goals. The thing with high fat is that you must cut down the carbs cause mixing then two will make you fat.

Fats are more effective for fatloss and hormones. As long as you have the energy to work out higher carbs aren't needed. If you look at pro bodybuilders now and back in time they have much more varieties of gear to manage such high carb diet which also isn't very healthy..
Yeh i have read about how beneficial fats are in a diet. I know alot of people scrape past on the bare minimum. They see 9 calories per gram and think im not wasting calories on a lower amount. Every article i read states that fats control our satiety hormones FAR better than any other food sources... With protein not far behind.

Whenever i ingest very basic carbs i feel very sluggish and lethargic and within an hour or so the hunger kicks in hard again. I hate it. I had this the other day. I ate rice cakes and an shortly after i just felt very tired and sleepy. Im certain as my insulin spike comes down i just feel rotten.

This is day 2 of my higher fat diet.. I actually enjoyed all the foods i ate yesterday and im 100% certain i felt a better feeling of fullness. I do alot of meal prep's so making use of healthy fats aint an issue for me.. I hope as the days past i will get even more relaxed with my appetite.

I will keep things updated!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeh i have read about how beneficial fats are in a diet. I know alot of people scrape past on the bare minimum. They see 9 calories per gram and think im not wasting calories on a lower amount. Every article i read states that fats control our satiety hormones FAR better than any other food sources... With protein not far behind.

Whenever i ingest very basic carbs i feel very sluggish and lethargic and within an hour or so the hunger kicks in hard again. I hate it. I had this the other day. I ate rice cakes and an shortly after i just felt very tired and sleepy. Im certain as my insulin spike comes down i just feel rotten.

This is day 2 of my higher fat diet.. I actually enjoyed all the foods i ate yesterday and im 100% certain i felt a better feeling of fullness. I do alot of meal prep's so making use of healthy fats aint an issue for me.. I hope as the days past i will get even more relaxed with my appetite.

I will keep things updated!
Yeah definitely and it's healthier. Good luck

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Im still gonna implement carbs but what my plan is.. Say 50g of carbs 1 hour before my workout and then load about 80-100 after a workout. That will be all my carbs for the day. Alot of this is fibre aswell so actual useable carbohydrates will be less but should be enough to power through a workout. I just dont want to drop into Ketosis. My lifestyle just doesnt suit this.

Whats your appetite been like on this diet? This is my reasoning for the higher fats. I want to feel satisfied with meals and not counting down the minutes until i can eat again. Nightmare!

Thats awesome results aswell !
That sounds good
The only "problem" that you'll find with zero carbohydrate diets is your leptin and ghrelin levels will be perfectly optimized. So you'll feel like eating as many calories as you need, as often as you need, but if you need to eat more it's hard and if you need to eat less you get hungry. However with the lower carbs you will at least not get pre-emptive insulin spikes to make you more hungry

Mzakif

Mzakif

Awards
  • Established

This macros split is interesting and I was thinking about cause I hate carbs impact on my waist, abs and by time kissing vascularity.

When do u have higher protein or higher fat days ?

Would that split work with 1/4 and epi andro cycle I’m on 6th week now.

And I’m not seeing much gains

Also did that macros split work with you even if you are not using any compounds?

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
This macros split is interesting and I was thinking about cause I hate carbs impact on my waist, abs and by time kissing vascularity.

When do u have higher protein or higher fat days ?

Would that split work with 1/4 and epi andro cycle I’m on 6th week now.

And I’m not seeing much gains

Also did that macros split work with you even if you are not using any compounds?
Yes I am not running any anabolic or taking any supplement. Just beef, salt and water
The macro split depends on the meat I am eating. I choose this based simply on what I feel like eating! Some days it's ground beef, or steaks, perhaps BBQ brisket, sausages etc

Main thing is if you're not gaining weight, increase the food intake by 5% - this is how you get gains
I don't really know much about these newer hormones. There is no reason why you wouldn't gain muscle with it though

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

How do you get your fiber? So you don't eat nuts, nut butters? What about protein powder? Also, I'm assuming whole eggs are out.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
How do you get your fiber? So you don't eat nuts, nut butters? What about protein powder? Also, I'm assuming whole eggs are out.
You don't need fiber in the absence of carbohydrate. I linked a video about this in my log. I eat eggs sometimes but it's hard to eat enough of them to get in enough calories