Do you focus on overall gains in weight for the month or the week?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
So we all know weight fluctuates day to day depending on things such as glycogen stores during bulking.

So what is more important to you? How much you are gaining per week or how much overall weight you have gained from the start of logging your bulk over the course of each month? What do you pay attention to more, weekly or monthly?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I personally log my weekly weight as an average of a daily weigh in but look at the trend over the longer term so in answer to your question I tend to look at the trend over at least a 4 week period before deciding if I need to adjust calories etc.

I aim for a monthly gain of ~1lb per month, I have a predisposition to gaining fat as a former fatty (well fattish)

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I personally log my weekly weight as an average of a daily weigh in but look at the trend over the longer term so in answer to your question I tend to look at the trend over at least a 4 week period before deciding if I need to adjust calories etc.

I aim for a monthly gain of ~1lb per month, I have a predisposition to gaining fat as a former fatty (well fattish)
Thats interesting. Most people shoot for 2 pounds per month at a half a pound per week on average. I understand why you only want 1 pound though since you have a history of gaining fat more easier than others.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer to focus on my fluctuations in my weight on a bicentennial timeframe; make sure it’s enough time to see results.

On a more serious note, why not both? A daily basis is definitely very variable, but a weekly basis can help you monitor progress, but more significant and noticeable changes should be observed at a month than a week. I’d also perhaps suggest weighting yourself a few days whenever you do it (weekly and/or monthly), that way you have multiple readings, making an outlier of a day less likely to throw off your results measurements.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like focusing more on a weekly basis than daily. As you mentioned OP, there are too many variables that can fluctuate weight on a daily basis. I do think weekly is more accurate. I think monthly is too long though without weighing in. One can gain too much weight, not gain enough, lose too much, or not lose enough in a month. If one is weighing in a on weekly basis, they can make a change and see results the next week. Monthly is just too long of a window.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So we all know weight fluctuates day to day depending on things such as glycogen stores during bulking.

So what is more important to you? How much you are gaining per week or how much overall weight you have gained from the start of logging your bulk over the course of each month? What do you pay attention to more, weekly or monthly?
I do three things: make sure my diet is consistent day to day (if that diet is working for me), weigh myself daily as well as mirror check with weekly pics. It helps me to stay motivated and keeps my thoughts on my goals.