Bulk or cut please help

Renegade97

Awards
I recently started training and i have no idea what to do, bulk or cut. Self evaluation has led me to the conclusion that i am apparently skinny fat. At 206 pounds and 177cm tall...

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Neither try and recomp and benefit from newbie gains and lose fat at the same time

TomS93

Awards
Not really an answer for you but it is completely up to you and what your goals are. I used to want to gain as much muscle as I could so I bulked, but I got to a point where I hated looking in the mirror and seeing all my bodyfat so I've been on a long cut and have been able to maintain my strength with little muscle loss.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
I recently started training and i have no idea what to do, bulk or cut. Self evaluation has led me to the conclusion that i am apparently skinny fat. At 206 pounds and 177cm tall...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 177cm is around 5'9"/5'10"?

If you're weighing in at 206, I wouldn't say you're skinny fat. Though, as I don't know your body fat/LBM %, I can't give too much input rn.

I'd recommend trying to gauge your bf% first -- if you're in the upper teens/twenties, focus on losing fat. If you're new to lifting, you'll go through a period where you end up putting on muscle mass and losing fat concurrently (a recomp, as was mentioned above).

APC80

APC80

Awards
You're 3cm taller than me and 40 pounds heavier you need to focus on losing fat. You'll build some muscle and gain strength while you're doing it seeing you're new to training but your bf% is far too high to bulk. Cutting will teach you how to track your macros and eat properly.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It sucks to be in a position where you have to loose a lot to gain in a better way but you are really heavy for your height and I don't see why you would become so skinny by loosing fat. I'm around your height and I don't see the need to ever be above 185 but thats a personal preference. never use the scale as a messurement, always use the mirror. the fat will always be there if you don't decide to loose it, and bulking is not the way to go so cut first bulk later.

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How old are you? Do you have any health conditions such as high blood pressure that losing weight may help with? Do you know your maintenance calories? The first portion of your training you can make good progress as long as you aren't starving yourself. I would personally eat a decent amount of calories, maybe 3000, and monitor your progress after 2 weeks or so and see how your body reacts if you do not know your maintenance. Just ensure you are staying active, consuming adequate protein and getting enough rest for the first few weeks and then reassess.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If your new to training just work out hard and eat healthy. Your body will build muscle and drop fat. After a few months when your newb gains stop then you can worry about it.

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
8 percent BF and lower = bulk. anything over 12-15% BF I would cut down more then bulk.