New here - unhappy with my body. Wanting to bulk.

jb7

jb7

Awards
Growing up I was always very tall and skinny. Lanky as many would say. That being said, I would always binge on junk food but never seemed to actually gain weight. I didn't realise how lucky I was at the time.

Now I'm 18, just left college and am working full time. I'm probably around 6 feet tall so a good height for my age. As I've gotten older my body seems to be filling out a bit more (as expected) - my shoulders are broader, my legs wider etc etc. Unfortunately though, I've also got a fair amount of fat surrounding my gut. I only have myself to blame for this. Constantly pigging out on junk food and never working out or including any sort of exercise into my life.

I'm dedicated to bulk out a bit more and be leaner, having noticeable muscle all over my body. I want decent sized arms, nice abs, V cut obliques, y'know. I'm just really not sure where to start. Some tips would be great!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just know, if you're going to bulk, lean bulk or not, you will put some fat on. With that in mind, you may loos sight of your abs and obliques. That will also depend on where your body stores fat. For a lean bulk, find your maintenance cals and go slightly above that. A few hundred will be enough. You can use an online calculator, but do not think that will accurately calculate your caloric needs. It will provide an estimate. I would eat at that estimate for a week or two and see if you gain or lose weight. If you lose weight, you need more cals, if your weight stays the same, you need more cals. If you gain some weight, I would go with those cals, depending on how much weight you gained. Personally, I wouldn't try to put on more than 1-1.5 pounds per MONTH. I know that sounds low, but think about it this way. If you bulk for 12 months and gain 1 pound every month, that is 12 pounds. The more weight you put on in a short period of time, the more likely you will store fat.

Next, find a good training program. I would go with starting strength or a push/pull/legs routine.

Lastly, get some basic supplements, but until you have a good foundation, do not deviate away from the basics. Supplements are not magical pills that work if your diet and training aren't in check. I would suggest the following:

Orange Triad - Multi Vitamin
Oxi-Omega - Fish Oil
Select, Cor-Whey, Titanium Whey, Modern Whey or Animal Whey - all good protein powders.
PowerMax XT - This is an all in one ergogenic aid that will boost recovery, performance, endurance and hydration. It contains proven ingredients, such as creatine, betaine, COP and glycerol all of which will aid in strength gains, betaine will help with body composition. It is a great all in one aid that should be a staple for every lifter.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Just know, if you're going to bulk, lean bulk or not, you will put some fat on. With that in mind, you may loos sight of your abs and obliques. That will also depend on where your body stores fat. For a lean bulk, find your maintenance cals and go slightly above that. A few hundred will be enough. You can use an online calculator, but do not think that will accurately calculate your caloric needs. It will provide an estimate. I would eat at that estimate for a week or two and see if you gain or lose weight. If you lose weight, you need more cals, if your weight stays the same, you need more cals. If you gain some weight, I would go with those cals, depending on how much weight you gained. Personally, I wouldn't try to put on more than 1-1.5 pounds per MONTH. I know that sounds low, but think about it this way. If you bulk for 12 months and gain 1 pound every month, that is 12 pounds. The more weight you put on in a short period of time, the more likely you will store fat.

Next, find a good training program. I would go with starting strength or a push/pull/legs routine.

Lastly, get some basic supplements, but until you have a good foundation, do not deviate away from the basics. Supplements are not magical pills that work if your diet and training aren't in check. I would suggest the following:

Orange Triad - Multi Vitamin
Oxi-Omega - Fish Oil
Select, Cor-Whey, Titanium Whey, Modern Whey or Animal Whey - all good protein powders.
PowerMax XT - This is an all in one ergogenic aid that will boost recovery, performance, endurance and hydration. It contains proven ingredients, such as creatine, betaine, COP and glycerol all of which will aid in strength gains, betaine will help with body composition. It is a great all in one aid that should be a staple for every lifter.
Great advice.