Recomping

jmlaheta1976

Awards
So I want to do a recomp. What do you recommend for macro numbers per pound of body weight

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
It'll be a bit different for everyone. But a good starting number is body weight x 16-17. That'll get you in a good ballpark for calories, but recomping is more difficult than a simple multiplication.

I would spend a few weeks and find your maintenance calories (amount of calories needed to maintain your current weight). From there I'd add about 200-300 cal's per day if you're looking to do a recomp. I also lower calories to maintenance on rest days while recomping. Others might disagree but that method has always seemed to work well for me. Recomping is a slow process and it takes a bit of time to learn how your body responds to the calorie surplus

Cole Dreyer

Cole Dreyer

Awards
I would spend a few weeks and find your maintenance calories (amount of calories needed to maintain your current weight). From there I'd add about 200-300 cal's per day if you're looking to do a recomp. I also lower calories to maintenance on rest days while recomping. Others might disagree but that method has always seemed to work well for me. Recomping is a slow process and it takes a bit of time to learn how your body responds to the calorie surplus
I concur with this. When recouping I believe that nutrient timing makes quite a lot of difference actually. That is totally anecdotal but I do believe it is critical.

I would suggest once you have your calories and macros figured out for training and non-training days doing something like this:

On training days keep your carb intake to your pre, intra (if you do an intra drink) and post workout meals. I would also keep your carbs on the lower end for yourself personally whatever "low" might be for you. Basically just enough to fuel hard, hard training and to facilitate some immediate recovery.

Then the rest of your meals I would do proteins and fats. I find that when I implement this style of dieting that people tend to recoup a lot quicker in terms of seeing themselves tightening up but yet still have stellar training and actually even make some notable strength progress which typically translates into new lean tissue.