Help with meal plan!

xcharliemikex

xcharliemikex

Awards
I am new here and wanted to get some advice on my bulking meal plan. I am your textbook hardgainer. 5'9 and sitting around 150lbs. My overall goal is to reach 200lbs. My current gym routine is ICF 5x5 to build up my strength then switch to a hypertrophy routine. Anyways, this is what I am thinking about as far as a meal plan. I am doing the IIFYM **** right now but need more structure and want my diet dialed in. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them! Sorry if the formatting looks weird, I'm posting from my phone.

0600:
1 cups of oats (300cal/5fat/54carb/10pro)
yogurt (120cal/15carb/15pro)

0700 (workout):
Carbo Gain (250cal/63carb)

0900:
2 scoops protein (432cal/56carb/40pro/5fat)
2 cups milk (300cal/24carb/16pro/16fat)

1200:
1/2lb ground beef (340cal/16fat/48pro)
3/4 cup white rice (150cal/35carb/3pro)

1500:
1 packet tuna (150cal/16pro/9fat)

1800:
1/2lb ground beef (340cal/16fat/48pro)

2100:
2 scoops protein (432cal/56carb/40pro/5fat)
2 cups milk (300cal/24carb/16pro/16fat)

CALORIES: 3,414
CARBS: 397
PROTEIN: 258
FAT: 72

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
You need some veggies homie!!!! Also why is your fat intake so low. Boost it up with some peanut butter, evoo, coconut oil etc.

Also is there a particular reason you're doing a ton of shakes? When I was bulking or trying to put on size shakes were good but I feel whole food meals put the weight on quicker. Just my two cents

xcharliemikex

xcharliemikex

Awards
I agree the fat is a little low. I was going to use 80/20 ground beef but that would boost my daily fat intake to about 130g, and I'm not sure if that is too high. I will add in vegetables as well.

I figured two shakes a day was OK. I can't always eat whole meals due to my job and shakes are an easy way to get in calories.

Thanks for your input!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Agreed that fat is a bit low, and 2 shakes a day is fine. The biggest issue is simple: Are you getting enough calories to gain weight? if not, the simple fix is EAT MORE ha. add in cals to each meal. fats are easy, cheap, and add up fast. Carbs are delicious. you've got plenty of protein so unless its a pure "want", you can skip adding more here.

xcharliemikex

xcharliemikex

Awards
Agreed that fat is a bit low, and 2 shakes a day is fine. The biggest issue is simple: Are you getting enough calories to gain weight? if not, the simple fix is EAT MORE ha. add in cals to each meal. fats are easy, cheap, and add up fast. Carbs are delicious. you've got plenty of protein so unless its a pure "want", you can skip adding more here.
Adding a tbsp of olive oil to my rice will add another 360 calories and good fat. My TDEE is 2255, so eating about 1,500 calories above maintenance should be a good start. I read that gaining a pound a week is good, anything more is too much. Is that accurate? I can always up the calories in a week or two if I don't seem to be gaining weight.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
A pound a week is fine. Agree with most of the advice you've been given in here so far. Eat until you start gaining and adjust cals/macros along the way.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Adding a tbsp of olive oil to my rice will add another 360 calories and good fat. My TDEE is 2255, so eating about 1,500 calories above maintenance should be a good start. I read that gaining a pound a week is good, anything more is too much. Is that accurate? I can always up the calories in a week or two if I don't seem to be gaining weight.
yep thats a solid plan. IDepending how long you've been lifting and what your diet looked like before bulking will cahnge how fast you gain. coming off a long diet youll gain much faster as your bod will be primed to use calories, same with new lifters so go more by the mirror and feel at least until you have a good handle on things.

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
Add in a few veggies and you should be good to go. Try it out for a month and see where you're at. If you are gaining then perfect, if not bump the cals up a bit :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I would lower the pro and up the fats, protein doesn't need to be extremely high during a bulk when a surplus is present.... Keep the two shakes but use I scoop for each and add PB.... Just my opinion

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jlorenzo92 Nutrition / Health 12
Weight Loss 5
Weight Loss 13
Nutrition / Health 11
Weight Loss 3