Should I bulk or cut?

jmlaheta1976

Awards
I am 5'9 197 24% bodyfat. Should I bulk first or cut before bulking? What bodyfat percent should I get down to before bulking?

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on your goals,for eg I'm not a bber so my bodyfat stays 18-20%,I would cut down to atleast under 20% though

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Why are you after bulking while at 24% ?

Can you list your goals?

I say cut, and to not bulk but recomp, if physique is at all a priority

gagandugan

gagandugan

Awards
  • Established
I'll make it short: 24% BF = cut.

Cut down to 15% and then decide if you want to cut some more or transition into a lean bulk.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
24% is definitely a cut for me, but I agree that it depends on your goals.

Night hog

Banned
Awards
I am in a similar situation where i have always bulked and want to cut and don't know how.

Night hog

Banned
Awards
I am in the low 20's bf. I downloaded an app to track my intake and have increased cardio. Been on osta for 2 weeks, looking leaner except for my gut. Going to start watching what I eat, up cardio and lay off the sodas. Thought about getting some exotherm.

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
What do you want to look like and how quick do you want to look like that?
If you want to look cut up and don't care about losing some muscle mass than start weight training/ doing cardio/ and eating for a cut.
If you want to bulk up than figure out your macros and eat and train for bulking. You can't do both at the same time so choose your goal and go from there

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Best way to cut is figure out what your eating macro wise and down carbs by like 10 but always keep your protein high! and be consistent with macros do not try to cheat the system. This way if u aren't losing or are losing u can keep the macros the same or dorp a few more carbs or a few fats but always drop carbs first. Try adding in Hiit like twice a week and train every body part atleast 2x a week! Exotherm is Gold I swear by that stuff check out my log im running on it. In 16 days went from 214 down to 207.6 . I cant preach enough how important it is to buy a scale and weigh your crap out and track macros and be very consistent it works trust me I know went from 255 to 199 in les than a year.

Night hog

Banned
Awards
Best way to cut is figure out what your eating macro wise and down carbs by like 10 but always keep your protein high! and be consistent with macros do not try to cheat the system. This way if u aren't losing or are losing u can keep the macros the same or dorp a few more carbs or a few fats but always drop carbs first. Try adding in Hiit like twice a week and train every body part atleast 2x a week! Exotherm is Gold I swear by that stuff check out my log im running on it. In 16 days went from 214 down to 207.6 . I cant preach enough how important it is to buy a scale and weigh your crap out and track macros and be very consistent it works trust me I know went from 255 to 199 in les than a year.
I will give this a try and see how it works. I am going to try exotherm. Thanks

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Definitely cut for sure. You will feel a lot better physically and mentally after being leaner and actually being able to see your hard earned mass. That way when you lean bulk you can literally watch your muscles develop on your frame and have a faster metabolism vs not being able to see your hard work under a constant layer of fat. That just my .02

jaces

jaces

Awards
I am in the low 20's bf. I downloaded an app to track my intake and have increased cardio. Been on osta for 2 weeks, looking leaner except for my gut. Going to start watching what I eat, up cardio and lay off the sodas. Thought about getting some exotherm.
leave the exotherm and get on a real diet

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Definitely cut man. No point in bulking at 24% body fat. A lot of physiques you see who are rather large, musculature, and look like they weigh 190 is only like 170. It's all about that BF percentage man. Cut for sure.