Casein and Whey before bed

89Flex

89Flex

Awards
I used to drink a whey shake before bed each night but ive recently started drinking a whey shake and a casein shake before bed so I have the immediate protein infusion and the prolonged protein source of the casein. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this combo and knew if it was worth doing or not.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You do not need this combo right before bed. One does not to eat before bed either. If you want to eat pre bed, eat whatever you would like. Don't buy into the whole you need casein or another slow digesting protein before bed so you don't go into a catabolic state; you won't. I say to stick with that combo if you're going to use protein powder because a blend is better than straight whey.You can either do what you are currently doing to make a protein blend, buy a product like PES Select, XF Up 2.0, or another protein blend, or you can mix whey with dairy.

pracata

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You do not need this combo right before bed. One does not to eat before bed either. If you want to eat pre bed, eat whatever you would like. Don't buy into the whole you need casein or another slow digesting protein before bed so you don't go into a catabolic state; you won't. I say to stick with that combo if you're going to use protein powder because a blend is better than straight whey.You can either do what you are currently doing to make a protein blend, buy a product like PES Select, XF Up 2.0, or another protein blend, or you can mix whey with dairy.
I've been taking whey/casisen protien about an hour before going to sleep.you recommend not to take protien before going to sleep?and if you do.why?

I just want to learn what's best for me.im not trying to go against you I'm just here to learn more because the more I learn the better it is for me:)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I drink a shake before bed almost every night

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been taking whey/casisen protien about an hour before going to sleep.you recommend not to take protien before going to sleep?and if you do.why?

I just want to learn what's best for me.im not trying to go against you I'm just here to learn more because the more I learn the better it is for me:)
I'm not recommending not to. I'm simply saying one does not need to eat pre bed and if they choose to, it does not have to be a shake.

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink a whey shake before bed each night but ive recently started drinking a whey shake and a casein shake before bed so I have the immediate protein infusion and the prolonged protein source of the casein. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this combo and knew if it was worth doing or not.
I'm not going to say I necessarily recommend it but... the logic for casein before bed is because it's suppose to be slower infusion meaning your body will absorb the protein at a slower rate. The reason that people say to have casein before bed is because you are not doing anything for 6-10 hours while you are sleeping and they think the casein will provide protein throughout the night while your muscles are recovering.

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
My opinion is that as long as your hitting your macros everyday that it probably doesn't matter. Will casein before bed hurt? Probably not.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is some evidence coming out that protein timing, in this case pre bed, might be actually helpful. It is far from conclusive but the general idea is it results in a greater overall body protein retention

bhawks23

Awards
Casein is great to have before bed because it digest very slow, so this will keep you full throughout the night and give your body something to digest besides your muscle. Don't take whey though because whey will spike your protein synthesis but after it spiked it will fall down to below baseline production.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Casein is great to have before bed because it digest very slow, so this will keep you full throughout the night and give your body something to digest besides your muscle. Don't take whey though because whey will spike your protein synthesis but after it spiked it will fall down to below baseline production.
Please put down the magazine ads and search the forum. It will do you well.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Your body is always digesting and getting nutrients from the food from your last meal. So unless you skipped lunch and dinner and had to go to bed, then what difference will it make?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
The bro is strong with this one. You people buying in to this "I must have casein before bed" thing need to read up on muscle protein synthesis and how long it actually takes for you to fully digest and process the nutrients in a meal. Do that and then come back here and report your findings. Stop reading Bro Science Weekly.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Huh?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Lol.

Huh

Why would it destroy a muscle when it has blood glucose? Why would it destroy a muscle when it has circulating FFAs? Why would your body go through so much trouble to breakdown muscle given the abundance of other fuels?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol.

Huh

Why would it destroy a muscle when it has blood glucose? Why would it destroy a muscle when it has circulating FFAs? Why would your body go through so much trouble to breakdown muscle given the abundance of other fuels?
This is what will happen if you don't eat Casein protein before bed,

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
This is what will happen if you don't eat Casein protein before bed,

This. The OP hasn't posted in so long because he died after listening to our advice and stopped taking his pre-bed casein shake. The next morning his muscle had vanished and he was unable to get out of bed or move his arm to pick up his phone and call for help. Tragic. For God's sake drink your casein people! Don't be another victim.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
This. The OP hasn't posted in so long because he died after listening to our advice and stopped taking his pre-bed casein shake. The next morning his muscle had vanished and he was unable to get out of bed or move his arm to pick up his phone and call for help. Tragic. For God's sake drink your casein people! Don't be another victim.
ROFL...nice one.

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
Or don't be another victim from the supplement industry stealing your money

Inspiration44

Awards
Meal timing and eating certain foods before u go to bed is nonsense, as long as you get your total macronutrients in for the day, than you are fine:)

TheRealCJG

Awards
I'm not jumping to conclusions based on your post or trying to troll or trying to say anyone is right or wrong, but I think hitting your macros is less important than timing your meals. Yes, you should hit daily macros but (I'm not saying you disagree with this or implicating other ill feelings in my saying this) they should be spread out proportionally throughput the day of your numbers are 190 p 260c 40 f (just making up numbers not mine or anyone elses) it shouldn't be in one sitting, or loaded in one meal while you baby the numbers the rest of the day. Relating to the casein I would say (IMO!) That research seems to point to it being a more efficient muscle builder intra workout. But I would continue the nighttime regimen and evaluate your results. Couldn't hurt to try. Might be a waste but you won't know until ya give it a shot

Ljohnson

Awards
My opinion is that as long as your hitting your macros everyday that it probably doesn't matter. Will casein before bed hurt? Probably not.
I agree. Chart your Macros, write down what protein you have everyday and what you should be having depending on your goals. I'm around a gram per lb of bodyweight. If at night you're low then go for the casein, its a good protein and theres a lot of studies pointing to it being generally better than whey for muscle growth.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Casein is just as good daytime from research I've read, it doesn't have to be taken exclusively at night (or at all if you've already met your protein requirements for the day).

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try it and see. I'm more of a fan of not eating before bed. No scientific reason. I "feel" it interferes with my sleep is all. Nobody can tell you what to do.

The whole casein before bed thing is either overhyped by "bros" or PED users (mps is a bigger deal to drug users ) or so damn conflicting on both sides that it really is impossible to tell if you'll get measurable benefits.