Isn't sugar anabolic?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Quick energy, gets into blood very fast.

Isn't sugar anabolic, just like all other foods?

PILL

Awards
Quick energy, gets into blood very fast.

Isn't sugar anabolic, just like all other foods?
Yes, but it is often very calorie dense while being nutrient poor. Also, sugar at the wrong time just turns it into fat.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Usually i try to stay away from sugar as much as possible except right after my workouts.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Yes, but it is often very calorie dense while being nutrient poor. Also, sugar at the wrong time just turns it into fat.
Whats the wrong time? How does it "just turn into fat"?

PILL

Awards
Sugar causes your body to release insulin into your blood. Insulin is the hormone that controls things entering your cells. So, if you flood your blood with a bunch of sugar that your body doesn't need for energy at the moment it gets stored as fat.

Alternately, you could use this to your advantage before and after a workout.

If you want to know more just read a few articles on this site. It's daunting at first, but a pretty simple concept once you get the hang of it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Not quite true my friend. In order for glucose to be stored as fat, it must first reach adipose tissue and then be converted to triglycerides via DNL (which in a energy equilibrium or deficit state is not likely to occur)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sugar causes your body to release insulin into your blood. Insulin is the hormone that controls things entering your cells. So, if you flood your blood with a bunch of sugar that your body doesn't need for energy at the moment it gets stored as fat.

If you want to know more just read a few articles on this site. It's daunting at first, but a pretty simple concept once you get the hang of it.
80% of the articles posted on this site are hilariously inaccurate bro-science. Well, except for the ones I post of course!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards

:-/

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

max d

Awards
  • Established
Insulin on the other hand is very anaboli but I don't have the balls to dabble in that court... It is legal though.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Insulin on the other hand is very anaboli but I don't have the balls to dabble in that court... It is legal though.
It's not that you don't have the balls. You're just smart enough to know how retarded it is to use insulin if your not a diabetic that needs it.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
80% of the articles posted on this site are hilariously inaccurate bro-science. Well, except for the ones I post of course!
Jolly ranchers every 15mins and protein shakes every 3hrs, all day long, bulking magic boo-ya time! It can be done (without insulin) and I got the numbers to prove it. :D

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Jolly ranchers every 15mins and protein shakes every 3hrs, all day long, bulking magic boo-ya time! It can be done (without insulin) and I got the numbers to prove it. :D
Road to diabetes lol

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Road to diabetes lol
Yeah, t-bone knows I'm mostly just kidding about the 24/7 jolly ranchers. :) But the protocol should be adaptive and it all depends on what your metabolism requires.

Still, I'm less worried about the sugar and more mindful about all the dyes now. I still see a lot of artificial colors and sweeteners used in pre-w/o powders and supps, and cringe every time I chug it! Sugar is far less toxic than any of that crap, and something you probably never even think about as you eat and drink it daily.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, t-bone knows I'm mostly just kidding about the 24/7 jolly ranchers. :) But the protocol should be adaptive and it all depends on what your metabolism requires.

Still, I'm less worried about the sugar and more mindful about all the dyes now. I still see a lot of artificial colors and sweeteners used in pre-w/o powders and supps, and cringe every time I chug it! Sugar is far less toxic than any of that crap, and something you probably never even think about as you eat and drink it daily.
That's so true man, I dnt like drinking all these flavored drinks. My vitamins, bcaas and preworkout all have artificial sweeteners/flavoring. I prefer just downing pills more. So my next batch of bcaas will be in pill form

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both storing fat and building muscle are anabolic processes so yes... If you are asking of table sugar is detrimental to building muscle- no. But I would pick other carb sources that have some micronutrient value over sugar

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
The only time one really needs to avoid sucrose is when sick.

Like money said, more paleo-style carbs are optimal with normal meals, and that means a variety of veggies. But during extremes like bulking or cutting, extreme dietary changes obviously become appropriate and no longer abnormal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The only time one really needs to avoid sucrose is when sick.

Like money said, more paleo-style carbs are optimal with normal meals, and that means a variety of veggies. But during extremes like bulking or cutting, extreme dietary changes obviously become appropriate and no longer abnormal.
Avoid, yes, limit id say always. There us a ton of interaction issues with HCFS/ Sucrose and triglycerides to warrant limitation IF not active

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Avoid, yes, limit id say always. There us a ton of interaction issues with HCFS/ Sucrose and triglycerides to warrant limitation IF not active
Yes, limitation is generally a good idea because insulin spikes are useful only in limited situations. And the prime utility of fructose was always to fatten up for winter. Fall fruits are loaded with it for a reason. But unless you hibernate or live in a cave it's of limited utility for the modern bodybuilder.

But your right J, it's generally good to minimize sugar, but not to the point of elimination or substitution. The toxicity of sugar to an average man is not the same as a healthy athlete.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

YES! Our oldest would go absolutely bonkers and break out in hives when she would eat what we thought was simple sugary snacks, but it didn't happen all the time. So we talked to the pediatrician about it and he suggested an allergy test. Come to find out it was red dye #5 that is in a lot of frostings, canned goods, and other places you'd never think about. Now at age 7, if there is red frosting on something she'll politely decline. :)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Yes, in fairness I've seen carb deprivation work in seizure-prone kids, but in "normal" ones it's utility is quite unreliable and far less effective. If your pediatrician confirmed immune response to a specific dye allergen, then that's a safe bet on what should be avoided!

These dyes are implicated in a variety of behavioral issues and allergies with kids. But now that you think about it, that jerk at the gym who just slammed a double dose of his favorite red dye pre-w/o, or that snobby girl sipping the cokZero on her stair master and counting every calorie, they kinda show signs of behavioral dysfunction too huh? lol

Kickstart7

Kickstart7

Awards
Damn I love sugar.. Oh well. Just gonna have to live at 12% bodyfat and enjoy sugar for a while until I get ready for the beach B^)

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Man. I have an Intra workout shake every single training session loaded with 50g protein and 50g carbs, all in the form of straight sugar. It keeps me going pretty well when I'm having those horrible sessions when I would normally want to just stop and go home.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Not just intra, 25-50g dextrose is the sh!t for a post shake too!

Don't know why people are so simple minded and prejudice against saccharides. There is a proper time for everything, yes, that means even sugar.