Another bulk or cut thread. Pics included.

Euch

Euch

Awards
Hey fellas. I'm not sure what to do at this point, whether I want to reduce or increase my caloric intake. I'd like to get on stage by next June and compete in bodybuilding perhaps in the 205 class. Here are my stats:

Weight: 220
Height: 5'9
Waist: 36
Arms:18
Legs:28
Chest:42
BF%: I'm guessing around 20-22? What do you guys think?

Any other questions feel free to ask. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism. Personally I'd like to keep lean bulking until next April. Here are some pics, sorry about the crummy quality.

unnamed (1).png

unnamed (2).png

unnamed (4).png

unnamed (5).png

unnamed.png

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever competed before? Personally id start lowering the cals a bit and getting my bf% closer to 10-13 before any bulking again.

Euch

Euch

Awards
I have not. It's just always been a goal of mine and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Thanks for the advice honest Abe!

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My opinion: finish out the year and try to put another 5-6 lbs of lean muscle, but that's it.. And take all of 2015 to do a super-controlled cut. See if you can get in touch with fueledpassion. He's got some solid advice on how to lose as little muscle as possible on a cut. (Probably a dialed-in diet, hiit, and maybe IF) You've got 15%+ bf to lose and it may get tricky those last 2-3 months, getting it really low. Luckily, you've got some good size but it's almost time to start chiseling away at it.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I will say this: do not wait until April to start dieting for a show in June. Especially if you're doing this without drugs.

Euch

Euch

Awards
My opinion: finish out the year and try to put another 5-6 lbs of lean muscle, but that's it.. And take all of 2015 to do a super-controlled cut. See if you can get in touch with fueledpassion. He's got some solid advice on how to lose as little muscle as possible on a cut. (Probably a dialed-in diet, hiit, and maybe IF) You've got 15%+ bf to lose and it may get tricky those last 2-3 months, getting it really low. Luckily, you've got some good size but it's almost time to start chiseling away at it.
That's excellent advice! Thank you! I will shoot him a PM. I obviously love the gym and lifting heavy weight but you're absolutely right - I have to dial in my diet. Currently I'm at 65f/350c/250p.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yap time to start dialing that diet in. I say get used to eating quite clean, unless you already do (in that case go you =D) and then start to make p[lans for a good cutting diet. Should be able to come out with a nice physique.

simon1972

simon1972

Awards
Do some hiit or cross fit. ( god forgive me).

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
That's excellent advice! Thank you! I will shoot him a PM. I obviously love the gym and lifting heavy weight but you're absolutely right - I have to dial in my diet. Currently I'm at 65f/350c/250p.
is that to gain or lose weight? just curious

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
i'm just curious cause at 220 i figured he'd need more calories to gain weight, hence my question

Euch

Euch

Awards
Those are my roughly my maintenance calories. I've been sort of stuck in limbo with my diet bc I wasn't sure where I wanted to go from here (leaning out or putting on more size). I was thinking of continuing training heavy and throw in some HIITx3 a week. Seriously appreciate all the advice guys.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get ahold of a coach. Takes all the stress out of competing, promise.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
seems more fun to diet yourself to be honest =D

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I think it would be dependent on what your were competing in and what goals.. But never have competed so I have no idea.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it would be dependent on what your were competing in and what goals.. But never have competed so I have no idea.
Bodybuilding. It's stressful

Hand it over to a coach. Easier for you (was for me anyhow) to just focus on lifting, eating what he/she laid out and specified for you as well as doing the prescribed cardio.

max d

Awards
  • Established
When in doubt cut. A lot of coaches say not to get over 15-16% BF on off-season/bulking.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I am being constructive as you asked. If you end up peeled for your show, you'd barely make the 176lb class. That is about 40lb loss in 30 or so weeks. I'd start dieting now and take a few short breaks along the way.

You have some good size and I am sure you'd very much like how you look show lean. But if you took only 20 weeks to prepare and only came down to 9% bodyfat, you'd wish you'd started sooner.

You'd look amazing at 176lb having kept most or all of your muscle which should be relatively easy at a comfortable pace of fat loss. Not only that, you'd learn a few things about your body along the way that would help you gain further after the show. You are in a very good place to be with the muscle and time you have today.

Good luck