thumbs up or down?

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
Hey everyone! I need some critiquing on my diet. I think I have it figured out, but I want to see what everyone thinks. My LBM is 184lbs. My goal is 194lbs. As of right now, my. Bf=19.4% @230lbs. I plan to lift 3 days a week using high volume and on these days I will try to consume approx. 3600 calories. On my off days approx. 2300Calories. All
coming to c/p/f ratio of 40/30/30. Is this approach sound?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey everyone! I need some critiquing on my diet. I think I have it figured out, but I want to see what everyone thinks. My LBM is 184lbs. My goal is 194lbs. As of right now, my. Bf=19.4% @230lbs. I plan to lift 3 days a week using high volume and on these days I will try to consume approx. 3600 calories. On my off days approx. 2300Calories. All coming to c/p/f ratio of 40/30/30. Is this approach sound?
What is your maintenance? Why such the drastic difference in calories between on and off days? How long have you been lifting and are you following a good program or just some bro split you made up?

Ur goal is to gain weight, yet your eating somewhere around -600 (assuming your maintenance is near 3000 which i guessed judging on the range) on off days? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
maintenance is around 2700. right now I am laid off from work so I'm very sedentary other than the days that I work out. I have lifted off and on for the past 20 years. I have not worked out for almost a year do to a car wreck, but I'm good to go now. I started back this Monday with a full body workout( and yes I'm sore today lol) and will do this 3 times a week so as to keep the volume down. I am trying to bulk lean, so i'm going to cycle my carbs, hence the difference in calories. I am hoping to boost my metabolism by doing this as well. As I get back strength,I will go to a higher volume workout. As for now, workout is as follows: one on, one off
A,B,A,etc
A. Squat 3x10
DB bench 3x8
BB row 3x8
Military press 2x10
BB curl 2x10
Seated Tricep press 2x10
Seated calf raises 2x15

B. Deadlift 3x6
Incline bench press 3x8
Lat pulls 3x8
Leg extensions 2x10
Leg curls 2x10
Lateral raises 2x10
Crunches 2x15

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
Hey everyone! I need some critiquing on my diet. I think I have it figured out, but I want to see what everyone thinks. My LBM is 184lbs. My goal is 194lbs. As of right now, my. Bf=19.4% @230lbs. I plan to lift 3 days a week using high volume and on these days I will try to consume approx. 3600 calories. On my off days approx. 2300Calories. All
coming to c/p/f ratio of 40/30/30. Is this approach sound?
I meant to say lifting for frequency, not volume.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally wouldn't switch my calories from days working out and not working out. I'd keep it the same every day. Also if your doing one on one off you'll be working out more than three days a week. I would recommend a different, proven workout split as well.

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
I personally wouldn't switch my calories from days working out and not working out. I'd keep it the same every day. Also if your doing one on one off you'll be working out more than three days a week. I would recommend a different, proven workout split as well.
I picked this workout from a professional site in their top five types of workouts. What's wrong with it? As far as jumping calories, I understand where you are coming from. This method is to get my insulin sensitivity in check. I will adjust both workout and diet as I go....i'm not a complete novice, however the diet is one i've never tried out in this manner

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I picked this workout from a professional site in their top five types of workouts. What's wrong with it? As far as jumping calories, I understand where you are coming from. This method is to get my insulin sensitivity in check. I will adjust both workout and diet as I go....i'm not a complete novice, however the diet is one i've never tried out in this manner
Since u are just getting back into it after a year, id say a 3x a week full body is totally fine. I still think your jumping cals a little too drastically but i know martin (creator of leangains IF) also swings calories drastically so i guess just try it out. If ur looking to bulk lean, another option is to just eat +200-300 everyday. The 200-300 cal surplus will be used much more effectively toward solely muscle building than a +500 day.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I have a friend who only drinks Protean shakes on days he lifts and that's how he does calorie swings like that. I've never really done anything like that so I have little to add, but he seems to be a big fan of it. I just figure you need plenty of calories on days off in order to rebuild.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maintenance is around 2700. right now I am laid off from work so I'm very sedentary other than the days that I work out. I have lifted off and on for the past 20 years. I have not worked out for almost a year do to a car wreck, but I'm good to go now. I started back this Monday with a full body workout( and yes I'm sore today lol) and will do this 3 times a week so as to keep the volume down. I am trying to bulk lean, so i'm going to cycle my carbs, hence the difference in calories. I am hoping to boost my metabolism by doing this as well. As I get back strength,I will go to a higher volume workout. As for now, workout is as follows: one on, one off
A,B,A,etc
A. Squat 3x10
DB bench 3x8
BB row 3x8
Military press 2x10
BB curl 2x10
Seated Tricep press 2x10
Seated calf raises 2x15

B. Deadlift 3x6
Incline bench press 3x8
Lat pulls 3x8
Leg extensions 2x10
Leg curls 2x10
Lateral raises 2x10
Crunches 2x15

I feel you'll burn yourself out quickly on those, I don't think three days a week full body is too much if followed more along these lines.
A
Squat- 3x5
Bench press- 3x5
BB row- 3x5
BB curl- 2x8

B
Deadlift- 3x5
Military Press- 3x5
Chin-ups- 3x6-8
Bench Dips (or triceps dips)- 2x8

You can mess around with the reps if you want, but that's just one fellas opinion.

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
I feel you'll burn yourself out quickly on those, I don't think three days a week full body is too much if followed more along these lines.
A
Squat- 3x5
Bench press- 3x5
BB row- 3x5
BB curl- 2x8

B
Deadlift- 3x5
Military Press- 3x5
Chin-ups- 3x6-8
Bench Dips (or triceps dips)- 2x8

You can mess around with the reps if you want, but that's just one fellas opinion.
if I turn out to be more out of shape than what I expected, I will try this. However, I know my body can handle quite a bit and recover better than the average, but who knows what will happen after being off for a year....soon to find out lol. Thanks by the way

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
I have a friend who only drinks Protean shakes on days he lifts and that's how he does calorie swings like that. I've never really done anything like that so I have little to add, but he seems to be a big fan of it. I just figure you need plenty of calories on days off in order to rebuild.
I thought about doing something like that at one point in my life, with shakes only, but the more I researched the more I found that you really want to get most of your nutrition from solid food. It might be ok for a short term though. Does he ever have wicked stomach problems?

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
Since u are just getting back into it after a year, id say a 3x a week full body is totally fine. I still think your jumping cals a little too drastically but i know martin (creator of leangains IF) also swings calories drastically so i guess just try it out. If ur looking to bulk lean, another option is to just eat +200-300 everyday. The 200-300 cal surplus will be used much more effectively toward solely muscle building than a +500 day.
Ya, this is more of a scientific approach with a twist of "a shot in the dark"kind of thing. I did a ton of reading, different calculations using total body weight opposed to LBM,etc,etc. I don't have my notebook in front of me, but it came out to a hefty bulking at 185 lean weight and a cutting diet for my total body weight. I am interested in seeing how it pans out.

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
Here is a quick overview of how and why I came to these numbers for calories:
Actual LBM-185lbs
3600= 19.5 calories per pound of LBM@185lbs (bulking)
2300=12.4 calories per pound of LBM@185lbs
(maint)

Desired LBM-195lbs
3600= 18.5 calories per pound of LBM@195lbs
2300= 11.8 calories per pound of LBM@195 lbs

Actual weight-230 lbs
3600= 15.7 calories per pound of LBM (recomp)
2300= 10 calories per pound of LBM (weight loss)

so as far as the actual and desired LBM, I will not be below maintenance calories and always hit bulking on my lifting days ( remembering that I don't do too much on days off of lifting, very sedentary)
as for my actual weight, 16 calories per pound of body weight seem to be the jump off point for body recom and 10 calories per body pound seems to be what is needed for actual maintenance and can also be looked at as a weight loss diet. I guess I should have just put this all up in the original post haha.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I also dont know I would go about thngs this way, but you wont know if it works for you unless you try it. Good Luck!

Chimaera

Chimaera

Awards
You're making this way too complicated. Track calories for a week and average it out per day, weigh yourself and mAke adjustments.

Being big or lean isn't rocket science, it's hard work.
You're right, but I needed a solid reasoning for my approach....and I tend to over-analyze. It just seems there are so many reasons out there for doing it this way or that for x result. Regardless, I needed a starting point and this is my approach for now.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're right, but I needed a solid reasoning for my approach....and I tend to over-analyze. It just seems there are so many reasons out there for doing it this way or that for x result. Regardless, I needed a starting point and this is my approach for now.
No, you need to start eating and keep a log with pictures, weigh ins and measurements.

No magic formula