What is your definition of a hard gainer

Bengal

Bengal

Awards
Just curious. I see myself as a hard gainer. I am 38 5 foot 9 and 190lbs. The best I can guess I am 12-13% bf. I have basically been this stature give or take for years. I do not have a problem making strength gains. I am fairly happy with my strength. But when is comes to gaining weight I can easily put it on. But tends to be sloppy. When I bust my hump to take it off. I have gained about 0-2 lbs of good weight.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
hard gainer = puss-c

your problem is probly with your diet, not your genetics. people through that word around way too much. if you were a real hard gainer, aka a true ectomorph, youd be 5'9 135lbs. if you wanna get into low bf territory, do a bt of reading on the paleo diet. very natural way to eat, and very healthy way to eat

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't sound like a hard gainer at all. You are just getting older and testosterone lower so it is a bit harder to put on actual muscle and a bit easier to put on fat.

Bengal

Bengal

Awards
You don't sound like a hard gainer at all. You are just getting older and testosterone lower so it is a bit harder to put on actual muscle and a bit easier to put on fat.
Copy. Eat a lot and take juice. Lol

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My definition of a hard gainer is someone with an overly efficient metabolism. For instance, me.
I have to eat more than the average lifter to gain weight.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are people out there who appear to need to eat a larger amount of calories to gain weight.

The term 'hardgainer' seems to be thrown around by people who don't get the results they want. Lean muscle growth is slow.

This is my simple solution. It works in all cases with no exceptions; http://on.fb.me/1h1OGMl

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But I think the real, honest definition of a hard gainer is any person who had insufficient knowledge of proper dieting techniques or those that aren't motivated enough to learn how to gain so they'd rather classify themselves as a hard gainer.

Once you are equipped with the proper tools and knowledge, there is no such thing as a hard gainer.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
5'9 and 190 lbs is hardly a hard gainer. Once youre at that lb bracket and that level of body fat you won't be mistaken or classified as a hard gainer.. typically its just the guys around the 130-140's range eat well but still gotta pack up meals for days

dubfungus

Awards
Stop worrying about your weight an thw scale. The scale lies

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
But I think the real, honest definition of a hard gainer is any person who had insufficient knowledge of proper dieting techniques or those that aren't motivated enough to learn how to gain so they'd rather classify themselves as a hard gainer.

Once you are equipped with the proper tools and knowledge, there is no such thing as a hard gainer.
BINGO........however, the fact of the matter is all of us are NOT created equal albeit similar and require a lot more effort than others to obtain a certain stature. I was 135 lbs when i graduated high school 16 years ago and have put on 75 lbs since then. My cousin was built the way I am now, back then, with almost no work. Like it or not, genetics have a lot to do with it.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
5'9 and 190 is a decent size, around where I'm at now(granted I'm a bit leaner) and I can't think of anyone that would call me a hard gainer although I am finding it more difficult to put on size I'm pretty sure it supposed to get harder the bigger you get just keep at it, eat a little bit more train a little harder and maybe hop on some gear

ecto84

ecto84

Awards
Hard gainers really exist! I believe that for some people it is really hard to eat enough in order to enter the caloric surplus teritorry where all the muscle gaining happens. It may have to do with inneficient digestive systems, faster metabolic rates or nutrient partitioning.

I am to some degree a hardgainer. I am struggling to eat enough and when I do it for longer periods, I get the results.
I also have a training buddy, who happend to be my coworker also. We've been training together for a while, eating the same food, etc. He gained a lot of bodyfat and muscle, while I remained the same weight, but lost some bodyfat.

The conclusion is simple: hard gainers exist but they can fix this. There is a herb which fixes the appetite problem and it just works wonders. :)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hard gainers really exist! I believe that for some people it is really hard to eat enough in order to enter the caloric surplus teritorry where all the muscle gaining happens. It may have to do with inneficient digestive systems, faster metabolic rates or nutrient partitioning.

I am to some degree a hardgainer. I am struggling to eat enough and when I do it for longer periods, I get the results.
I also have a training buddy, who happend to be my coworker also. We've been training together for a while, eating the same food, etc. He gained a lot of bodyfat and muscle, while I remained the same weight, but lost some bodyfat.

The conclusion is simple: hard gainers exist but they can fix this. There is a herb which fixes the appetite problem and it just works wonders. :)
I have a one word fix for your situation: McDonald's.

If you can't get your calories, you're not eating calorie dense foods. Notice I didn't say nutrient dense. I'm a naturally easy gainer, but as heavy as I am now, if I want to gain and PR, it's gonna take some pizzadrol and greasy cheesy burgers. No greenery needed.

And yeah, I'm not lean. But I'm not concerned at the moment.

ecto84

ecto84

Awards
I have a one word fix for your situation: McDonald's.

If you can't get your calories, you're not eating calorie dense foods. Notice I didn't say nutrient dense. I'm a naturally easy gainer, but as heavy as I am now, if I want to gain and PR, it's gonna take some pizzadrol and greasy cheesy burgers. No greenery needed.

And yeah, I'm not lean. But I'm not concerned at the moment.
I agree with you on McDonand's. Probably one of the most anabolic post workout meals :) . The problem is you cant build a million dollar body out of a $1 menu :)
For a hardgainer, it is really hard to eat the required amounts of the right stuff, not because it tastes bad, but because it doesnt taste great.

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
In theory a hardgainer is someone with an abnormally high TDEE, but metabolic variation isn't that extreme usually.

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
Would 140 5'4 8% bodyfat be considered a hard gainer

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established

Yes, they do exist. It's all genetics, but endos and mesos can't understand because they've been so spoiled and had it so easy. It's not a part of their "reality". :D

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, I find it to be relative. If I compare myself to a guy like Coan or Marius, then I am in the lower genetic threshold and thus I guess compared to them a hard(er)gainer, but if I compare myself to Don Knotts, then I am a genetic superior and no longer have to title myself an HG'er.

Whilst the averages Stuart McRobert et al put out, that many average non drug using lifters can attain very near or at the #300BP #400Sqt #500DL, I find it best not to compare yourself to others and be the best you can be and I also would say, I learned not to attach labels to myself in order to have limits I feel I can't surpass. I guess I just never wanted to give up doing something I loved!?!?
And too, lots of people have certain gifts or strengths, so finding what you are good at and expounding on it, helps too.
I always felt I was an HG'er and a poor or under level presser, but have brought my natural raw deadlift to highs that most men my age can't (or don't want to risk) hit or have to use drugs to get there.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Paul, I agree with your philosophy wholeheartedly! And obviously any label is subjective (yet in a relative way.) Why pigeonhole yourself? It can become a stigma of one's own reality.

However, I think HG is used in this context as a blanket term for those with a low ratio of caloric efficiency. I don't agree with Stuart completely, but his emphasis on genetics is legitimate.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
In general most "hard gainers" just don't eat enough. The second they start pounding down calories they gain just fine, they find their numbers shoot through the roof and they stop complaining about not being able to gain. I went from 155 to 185. And thought I was a definite hard gainer, till I found I was just lazy. Eat chicken, rice, beef and potatoes, beans (all kinds), peanut butter or any other nut butter, tuna, ice cream, pizza, cut the cardio, focus on hard core strength and you'd be amazed.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Not eating enough, eating too much "clean food" and feeling full before hitting the caps they need, or high activity level beyond weightlifting.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Caps = cals

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Not eating enough, eating too much "clean food" and feeling full before hitting the caps they need, or high activity level beyond weightlifting.
That's my problem right now. I have a very physical job now so I'm on my feet all day pretty much. I'm eating anywhere from 3000-3500 calories a day and I'm maintaining at 150 LOL. Sad day.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You "hard gainers" just need to stop eating like ladies.
Fact.

I was in the military, working out in the morning (distance runs), working all day, then going to the gym and I still made gains.

I had to eat an assload, to make gains, but it was a priority for me so I made it happen.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember when I went from a thin #185 to up over #215 in a few months one summer. The eating was actually harder and more uncomfortable than the lifting at the time. And eating good stuff instead of just junk calories, made it tougher.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
You "hard gainers" just need to stop eating like ladies.
I know, right. With a little focus on getting more cals and a dedicated training regiment, even a girl could do it!

(oh yeah, and one more thing... you're probably gonna need lots of "supps" too, lol)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know, right. With a little focus on getting more cals and a dedicated training regiment, even a girl could do it!

(oh yeah, and one more thing... you're probably gonna need lots of "supps" too, lol)
Yeah, but that second picture isn't a "girl".

subz3r0

Awards
Someone who can't find the time to eat to gain weight.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Someone who can't find the time to eat to gain weight.
Yea I don't think so. I mean when I was in high school i probably put down 4000 cals daily with no increase in weight and I didn't even lift weights. However, I'm older now metabolism has slowed unfortunately

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I don't think so. I mean when I was in high school i probably put down 4000 cals daily with no increase in weight and I didn't even lift weights. However, I'm older now metabolism has slowed unfortunately
I'm still that way and I'm 24. I can eat taco bell and pizza all day and still stay lean. I hate it

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I'm still that way and I'm 24. I can eat taco bell and pizza all day and still stay lean. I hate it
Go fk yourself. Not srs, but srsly go fk yourself.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Oh don't get me wrong though when I stacked M1D Black, 11 ketotest and formeron I was recomping at 3500 cals. Drugs make a pretty drastic difference IMO

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
In general most "hard gainers" just don't eat enough. The second they start pounding down calories they gain just fine, they find their numbers shoot through the roof and they stop complaining about not being able to gain. I went from 155 to 185. And thought I was a definite hard gainer, till I found I was just lazy. Eat chicken, rice, beef and potatoes, beans (all kinds), peanut butter or any other nut butter, tuna, ice cream, pizza, cut the cardio, focus on hard core strength and you'd be amazed.
^ completely agree

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Ever have your T3 tested? It may be high (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

JJRK1XX4

Awards
I consider myself a hard gainer. 3200 calories every day religiously for the past 4 years to maintain 160 lbs. Never above 7% body fat.

But I do think a lot of people say they're hard gainers without really understanding much about proper nutrition.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I consider myself a hard gainer. 3200 calories every day religiously for the past 4 years to maintain 160 lbs. Never above 7% body fat.

But I do think a lot of people say they're hard gainers without really understanding much about proper nutrition.
I was the same way for a while

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
IMO a "Hard Gainer" is an "Under Eater"

I used to use that excuse because no could eat a whole pizza, box of cereal & some chicken breast and I would gain muscle no matter how many sets of 8 I did on the flat bench.

Then I got educated.

I went from 115lb to 236lb(sloppy) in 3.5 years..

Now I'm 178lb & 6% bf ready to step on stage.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO a "Hard Gainer" is an "Under Eater"

I used to use that excuse because no could eat a whole pizza, box of cereal & some chicken breast and I would gain muscle no matter how many sets of 8 I did on the flat bench.

Then I got educated.

I went from 115lb to 236lb(sloppy) in 3.5 years..

Now I'm 178lb & 6% bf ready to step on stage.
I understand 100% and somewhat agree, but this is where I draw the line.

My first two weeks before I bulk or cut, I meal plan, weigh it all out, count macros to the T...etc to find out what I am eating and how I need to alter my diet. These two weeks are my experimental weeks if you will.

What I have found, for me, I have to eat 3900 calories to just maintain my weight and adjust accordingly to gain weight where as the rule of thumb is around 3200-3500 to gain weight (of course this isn't 100% accurate). So I do have to eat more than some people just to maintain

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
I understand 100% and somewhat agree, but this is where I draw the line.

My first two weeks before I bulk or cut, I meal plan, weigh it all out, count macros to the T...etc to find out what I am eating and how I need to alter my diet. These two weeks are my experimental weeks if you will.

What I have found, for me, I have to eat 3900 calories to just maintain my weight and adjust accordingly to gain weight where as the rule of thumb is around 3200-3500 to gain weight (of course this isn't 100% accurate). So I do have to eat more than some people just to maintain
Pretty similar to what I do. Plenty of trial an error to find out the perfect formula. .

Nutrition/Training/Cardio for each goals

I found that 3 days of fasted a week with 4230 cal I can maintain a 10-11% bf while gaining lean size.

This is exactly what I love about the industry! Constantly learning.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty similar to what I do. Plenty of trial an error to find out the perfect formula. .

Nutrition/Training/Cardio for each goals

I found that 3 days of fasted a week with 4230 cal I can maintain a 10-11% bf while gaining lean size.

This is exactly what I love about the industry! Constantly learning.
I have never gone fasted nor do I plan on it. Not because it doesn't work, I know it does. I just have to eat or I will throw up lol